PDA

View Full Version : Softball Bat?

Bumstead
05-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Do any of you play softball? I play in an ASA sanctioned league. I just ordered a new bat: Miken Freak 98. Have any of you used this bat? Did you like it? How many hits did it take for you to get it 'opened up?'

Thanks for your input.

Bum

guttle11
05-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I've always thought Freaks feel the best of any bat out of the wrapper, but after 80-100 hits they really start to open up.

redsfanmia
05-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I prefer Bombats.

Bumstead
05-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Mine arrived today. Game Wednesday. We will see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

Bum

BuckeyeRedleg
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Here's a good thread discussing softball bats.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55454&highlight=softball

Bumstead
05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for showing me that other post. I went to www.softballfans.com to get some advice. They recommended the Miken Freak 98 (which I got) or the Rip-It Reaper. Game tomorrow, we will see.

Bum

BuckeyeRedleg
05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for showing me that other post. I went to www.softballfans.com to get some advice. They recommended the Miken Freak 98 (which I got) or the Rip-It Reaper. Game tomorrow, we will see.

Bum

How much? What size? 34", 28 oz?

Keep us posted. I'm wondering how long it takes to break in.

Bumstead
05-06-2009, 09:45 AM
It's a 34" 28 oz; it was $200 on www.softballfans.com. I got varying reports about how long it will take to break in. Tonight's game should be interesting. Hopefully we will have batting practice this weekend which will help.

Bum

Tommyjohn25
05-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I have a Freak 98. I absolutely love it! I think it's one of the better bats made in the last 10 years. I have accidentally hit home runs with it, no joke. I'd say it took right about 100 hits to break it in. Have fun with it!

Bumstead
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
We had our first game with the Freak 98 last night (the whole team uses the same bat). It took till the 3rd inning before one of the guys put one out. We rarely hit HR's and almost never on the big fields (we were on the big field; 300' all around). I hit the ball hard 3 of the 4 times I came up; only got 1 hit (hit one right at the RCF and popped up); the last time I was up, the pitcher threw a strike on the first pitch which I took (I do that a lot); I stand way off the plate and hit middle to RF mostly; the next pitch he puts inside; I turned on it and hammered it dead over the LF's head....he sprinted back to the warning track, jumped as high as he could (and he was not like me, he could jump), reached back over his head, caught the ball at the peak of his jump, and landed bent over staring at the fence...pfft...it was an unbelievable catch. I have never hit a HR over the fence on these fields. I can't wait till we get this bat broken in!!!!! BP this weekend, hopefully that will open this bat up even more!

Bum

TRF
05-10-2009, 09:41 PM
if you can find a "rolling" service local to you, it'll save a lot of time in the breaking in period.

Jack Burton
05-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Heard the Miken Recoil ASA maxload is pretty good.

Stephenk29
05-20-2009, 03:07 PM
I always use a Freak. Its pretty nice.

Bumstead
05-20-2009, 04:43 PM
A couple of BP sessions and I'm really starting to hit some scorching line drives. I believe it is starting to open up.

As an aside, I am not aware of any 'rolling services' in my area...they probably exist...I used a rubber mallet a few different times. That seemed to do the trick.

Bum

Bumstead
06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
For those that are interested. After a week of rainouts, we played doubleheader Wednesday. The team, including me :D, was killing the ball with the new bat. I would say it is pretty hot right now. Probably took 200 or so hits to get that way. So...the Miken Freak 98 is an awesome team bat IMHO, but make sure you use it at batting practice a few times to loosen it up. To be honest, our other bat was so worn out that the new bat was probably better out of the wrapper but now it is really shooting the ball out there.

Bum

TRF
04-06-2010, 05:13 PM
bump

I'm in two leagues, a Men's and a mixed. Men's league on Fridays, Mixed on Sundays. So this weekend I have 1 game Friday night, a tournament starting on Saturday and potentially Sunday and a double header mixed league Sunday afternoon. Tourney is guaranteed 3 games, and its a decent team.

I'll be lugging my 28oz Demarini B52. Beastly bat. I'd love to get a Miken Freak, but I also like making my house payment.

bucksfan2
04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
bump

I'm in two leagues, a Men's and a mixed. Men's league on Fridays, Mixed on Sundays. So this weekend I have 1 game Friday night, a tournament starting on Saturday and potentially Sunday and a double header mixed league Sunday afternoon. Tourney is guaranteed 3 games, and its a decent team.

I'll be lugging my 28oz Demarini B52. Beastly bat. I'd love to get a Miken Freak, but I also like making my house payment.

The original Miken Freak was the most loaded bat I have ever hit with. The ball just jumped off the barrel. It was almost scary how much pop that bat had in it. I was playing an a mens league that wasn't ultra competitive. One guy on our team had a Miken Freak but wouldn't use it in that game. He said he would only use it playing in the top leagues.

Tommyjohn25
04-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I have a Miken Freak 98, Yeah it's awesome.

jmcclain19
04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I love my Miken Freak 98. I won't buy any other type any longer.

I used to be a huge Demarini fan but the Freak 98 is pretty amazing.

Bumstead
04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
bump

$200? http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3980658&CAWELAID=460673504

TRF
04-09-2010, 12:14 PM
$200 is a lot right now. 1 kid in college, another starting in the spring and a grandchild on the way.

But I'd love to get one someday.

Bumstead
04-09-2010, 02:18 PM
$200 is a lot right now. 1 kid in college, another starting in the spring and a grandchild on the way.

But I'd love to get one someday.

I understand. Sometimes you can find used ones on www.softballfans.com. Luckily since mine is a team bat, I got about 1/2 my money back from other team members.

Bum

Jack Burton
04-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Heard the Miken Recoil ASA maxload is pretty good.

Ended up buying this one last season and it's the best bat I've ever swung. Takes some time to break in, but when it does look out.

TRF
04-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Brutal weekend. played 7 games, 4 of those Saturday in the tournament. In our second game, I tripled. two batters later, with me still on third, i took a one hopper into my right side. two inches higher I'd have cracked ribs right now. I have never been hit that hard by anything in my life.

Sunday I used a 30oz Miken Freak, and the ball exploded off that bat.

I want one.

K30
04-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Freaks are simply amazing bats. I used to use one at my last base during our season and couldn't believe how they felt. Ive used some Reaper's as well and they aren't to bad either.

Heath
04-14-2010, 01:26 AM
As a slow-pitch softball pitching standing in at 6'5, I hate bats that hit balls that have the look of decapitation.

I really hate it when the local league goes from an ASA 6-12 arch to a USSSA 3-10. Might as well have a freaking pitching machine. Or good dental insurance. Or a pre-paid funeral.

Bumstead
04-15-2010, 02:25 PM
yeah, always best to press the upper limits of that arch limit.

TRF
04-16-2010, 12:38 PM
As a slow-pitch softball pitching standing in at 6'5, I hate bats that hit balls that have the look of decapitation.

I really hate it when the local league goes from an ASA 6-12 arch to a USSSA 3-10. Might as well have a freaking pitching machine. Or good dental insurance. Or a pre-paid funeral.

We switched to USSSA here and frankly, because it is much less organized, most guys playing don't know there is a difference. Bats aren't checked much, the ball has been changed twice in the last two years, getting softer and mushier. The lack of arch is killing the guys that like to stand in the back of the box and swing up like a golfer. I'm always up in the box hitting line drives and they can't figure out why.

but my whole right side from my ribs to my beltline is black from the shot i took. hurts like hell too.

K30
04-22-2010, 09:35 PM
i just picked up a Demarini Creature for 130 for my on base league. also picked up a nike venom from a teammate for $20. I wanted a Miken Freak 98 but our league banned all mikens..smh

bucksfan2
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
All leagues should ban the Miken Freak 98. Just sayin.

Played the first softball game of the season Wed night. Needless to say I am a little rusty. Just missed on two hits but sent then skying into the air as lazy pop ups. I also stupidly slid in catching a ball in the outfield. I don't slide anymore on the base paths but something in me just trying to catch a ball makes me.

TRF
04-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm 42 and I still slide. I can't not slide.

bucksfan2
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM

Do you wear pants?

TRF
04-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Do you wear pants?

you mean right now? yes. The boss frowns when i just wear boxers to work.

When I play ball?, just sweat pants. I go through 3-4 pair each year.

redsfanmia
04-23-2010, 05:18 PM

I always wore shorts because I did not want to be softball guy wearing baseball pants. I always slid and always had a scab on my leg.

Bumstead
04-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I always wore shorts because I did not want to be softball guy wearing baseball pants. I always slid and always had a scab on my leg.

I say "screw it" I'm wearing the baseball pants cause inevitably I end up sliding or diving...and yes I'm also 42...another reason I wear the baseball pants is that we have limestone fields and I don't want to be digging rocks out of my knees for a month... ;)

Bum