PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be nice to have Cantu...

mroby85
05-02-2009, 01:28 PM
I was just looking at the stats on Jorge Cantu, and it's too bad we just gave him away for nothing! :eek:

He's hitting .358 with 7 hr's and 24 rbi's.

Pretty annoying when you consider he hit well when given the chance with us, and the need of a right handed bat on this team.

redhawk61
05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
B/c where would this team be without Sergio Valenzuela......:cool:

http://images.talkingchop.com/images/admin/Valenzuela73107.jpg

ChatterRed
05-02-2009, 02:05 PM
If he played LF, yes it would be nice. He has never played the OF in all of his seasons in mlb.

mroby85
05-02-2009, 03:43 PM
If he played LF, yes it would be nice. He has never played the OF in all of his seasons in mlb.

I wouldn't be against movin Edwin out of the lineup for a guy that drives in 100 runs.

bigredbunter
05-02-2009, 07:34 PM
B/c where would this team be without Sergio Valenzuela......:cool:

http://images.talkingchop.com/images/admin/Valenzuela73107.jpg

That was THE strangest Rule V pick in recent memory...:confused:

Ghosts of 1990
05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Cantu's always been a pretty good offensive player.

It smarts a little less then not having Josh Hamilton.

big boy
05-02-2009, 11:49 PM
It smarts a little less then not having Josh Hamilton.

Rangers placed OF Josh Hamilton on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 27, with a strained rib cage.

I have a feeling the Volquez-Hamilton trade will work out OK for the Reds.

Zimmers
05-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Cantu and cody ross are guys that i wish were still with the reds. I didnt understand the moves then and still dont. By the way this is my first post and i think the first from Australia.

Handofdeath
05-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Cantu and cody ross are guys that i wish were still with the reds. I didnt understand the moves then and still dont. By the way this is my first post and i think the first from Australia.

Welcome aboard.

ChatterRed
05-03-2009, 03:13 AM

Welcome aboard, mate. :D

reds1869
05-03-2009, 08:41 AM

I agree with you 100%. I always hated dealing those guys.

Nice to have you. You're an Aussie who likes baseball, I'm a Yank who likes rugby and AFL. Perhaps we'll get along well. :cool:

Red in Atl
05-03-2009, 05:34 PM

Welcome...and totally agree.

I never got it either. I mean the arbitration thing is a stretch in my mind considering how many stupid 2 year contracts the Reds sign guys too...Lincoln being the latest

Ghosts of 1990
05-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Maybe if the Marlins keep dropping games they'll give him up

big boy
05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm guessin' Krivsky didn't want to eat any more bad contracts and was gun shy with Cantu.

I didn't realize Cantu is only 27. He may even get better.

PhillipsHead
05-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, that's the way I view Cantu. How are we to know he'd do exactly the same for this team?

Billy Bates
05-04-2009, 01:18 AM
That makes two Reds fans in Australia (currently living in Newcastle). Cantu I agree with; we gave Cantu the boot in favor of keeping Hatteberg. As of right now, EE has become a poor man's Jorge Cantu. Who would have thunk it?

As far as Ross is concerned, he's a .258 career hitting corner OF with a little pop - doesn't offer much else. We acquired him in '06 for cash from LA, he went on the DL, and then we shipped him to FLA for cash. He played two games as a Red. I wouldn't lump him in with Jorge

Edit: I also meant to say you win some, you lose some with these types. Indians fans were kicking themselves for giving away Brandon Phillips up until the end of last year - and now he's the RZ whipping boy with his slow start this year. I agree with previous poster - everything is always easy to see in hindsight. Cantu has had two very good seasons and two very pedestrian ones. Time will tell which of those two were the norm and which were the outliers

Zimmers
05-04-2009, 01:40 AM
The thing with cantu was that he was young and if i remember right produced 4 the reds. I also seem to remember him being a good prospect at one time. So why didnt we give him a chance like so many others. Ross i think i only care about because jhj keeps trotting out.lol. Oh i was born and raised in ohio. Grew up in cbus and my teens in wapakoneta. I have lived here 4 years after i left the navy. Looking to possibly move back in october so any jobs hit me up.lol