PDA

View Full Version : More trade ideas.......

ChatterRed
05-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, obviously when you start thinking trade, you have to look at the teams that are struggling and, even though it's early, can pretty much write off as playoff contenders. Here are my opinions:

AL East - you can pretty much write in Boston or Toronto as winning that division. The Yankees will make a go at it, but once again fail miserably to catch up. I wouldn't write off Tampa yet.........as statistically, they are still top 6 in the AL in both hitting and pitching. Not sure what they're struggling with right now. Toronto has the 4th best team e.r.a. in the AL and are first in batting average. Impressive. It makes the Baltimore the most likely trading partner.

AL Central - Up for grabs by all except probably Cleveland. Cleveland is 8th in the AL in batting average (out of 14 teams), but they're 12th in e.r.a. Might be a trading partner for bolstering the pitching this season and for the future.

AL West - Way too early to tell, but Seattle has gotten off to a nice start mainly because their pitching staff is #1 in the AL with a team e.r.a. of 3.62..........which is good enough to put them 3rd in all of mlb. Very impressive. Pitching comparison for their division has Oakland at 3rd in the AL, Angels at 9th, and Texas at 11th (5.62). Texas staff is allowing 2 more runs per game than Seattle's. Oakland is last in the AL in hitting, while the Angels are 2nd, Rangers are 7th and Seattle is 9th in batting average in the AL. Will Oakland's hitting improve and their pitching allow them to crawl back into the race? Seattle is 28th in slugging percentage in all of mlb, while Cincy is 29th and Oakland is 30th........pretty pathetic. Too early to find a trading partner unless both teams have a need to fill to help them this year.

NL Central - you're not going to trade in division, so forget about it.

NL East - Bowden is gone.........anything to trade with the Nats for?

NL West - the Dodgers sure look like the real deal. They are 2nd in batting average in the NL and 6th in team e.r.a. in the NL. San Diego and Colorado have abysmal pitching staffs. The Giants and D-backs are respectable in pitching. But the D-backs are last in the NL in batting average and San Diego and San Fran are middle of the pack. It sure looks like the Dodgers will run away with that division, especially with San Diego's pitching injuries of late. Colorado is a mess. You could probably trade with about any team in that division if they realize they are not gonna make a run this year.

Trading partners?
Cleveland, Washington, Baltimore, maybe Oakland?, San Diego, Arizona, and Colorado?

Any good RH bats you see on those teams?

Colorado, Arizona, San Diego, Washington, Cleveland have nothing in terms of outfielders I'd trade for.

San Fran has Aaron Rowand (RH) with his career .284 batting average (8 seasons), and career .342 OBP, and some pop in his bat, but not alot. He's very good defensively (former gold glover).......I remember him making that great CF catch on the highlights....... http://www.truveo.com/Rowands-diving-catch/id/1603735879 (I can't find the catch he made where he broke his nose running into the wall, but it's considered one of the top 10 greatest catches of all time).

Baltimore's OFers are all young, and I doubt they want to part with them. Adam Jones is the most respectable.

....and then there's Oakland's Matt Holliday sitting there waiting to be picked up for a king's ransom by Billy Beane at the trade deadline. Just say no. They will want a fortune.

Not many trading partners for what we need right now.

Knightro28
05-02-2009, 01:17 PM
i wouldn't touch rowand. i believe he is over-valued.

it is way too early to start thinking trade. rosales just came up, who knows what impact he'll have... gomes is still biding his time...

RedLakerFan24
05-02-2009, 03:23 PM
i would like Delmon Young, he is young and has lots of potential, the twins are not playing him that much and in the offseason they wanted to trade him

Captain Hook
05-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I've mentioned Brad Hawpe before as someone I wouldn't mind picking up.He's got a decent contract but its big enough that if the Rockies keep struggling they might want to dump.We would have him for a few years also so we wouldn't be trading prospects away for a rent-a-player.

SoTxRedsFan
05-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Adam Jones is the most "respectable" OF in Baltimore?? Nick Markakis says hello....

Handofdeath
05-03-2009, 12:56 AM
I would not be surprised to see Homer Bailey traded to the Royals for Billy Butler. The Royals have a very good 1B waiting at AAA and could use the pitching. The Reds could use the RH bat and Butler has played OF.

ChatterRed
05-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Adam Jones is the most "respectable" OF in Baltimore?? Nick Markakis says hello....

Oops. You're right. When I was looking at their roster and outfielders, I completely overlooked him. Yes, he definitely is their best OFer.

Eric_the_Red
05-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Oops. You're right. When I was looking at their roster and outfielders, I completely overlooked him. Yes, he definitely is their best OFer.

Maybe right now, but Jones is starting to break out. I wouldn't be surprised to see him surpass Markakis. Either way, Baltimore has the makings of a great outfield.

bounty37h
05-04-2009, 10:44 AM
i would like Delmon Young, he is young and has lots of potential, the twins are not playing him that much and in the offseason they wanted to trade him

Theres reason they wanted to trade him, and suspect it has little to do with anything on the field.

Natty Redlocks
05-04-2009, 11:34 AM
It might be fun to write off the Yankees already, but it's kind of insane. And since messageboard trades never happen anyway, why rule out your own division? Also, Keppinger is an Astro now, right? Bailey for Tejada; why the hell not.

Edit: cause it's not 2004; nevermind

SoTxRedsFan
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe right now, but Jones is starting to break out. I wouldn't be surprised to see him surpass Markakis. Either way, Baltimore has the makings of a great outfield.

No doubt. Orioles KILLED in the Bedard trade.

If Wieters and all that pitching they have in the minors pans out they could be a contender very soon.

nmculbreth
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I would not be surprised to see Homer Bailey traded to the Royals for Billy Butler. The Royals have a very good 1B waiting at AAA and could use the pitching. The Reds could use the RH bat and Butler has played OF.

Butler is a terrible fit for this organization. Despite the fact that Kansas City has used him sparingly in the OF, he profiles as a 1B/DH type player. Given the lack of a DH slot and the abundance of 1B depth in the organization (Votto, Alonso, Frazier) I don't see how the Reds would be interested, particularly if they need to give up their best pitching prospect / trading chip in the process.

redssouth
05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I may be off, but I dont think Homer is the guy we trade, I think if Bronson can put up solid numbers, and Homer keeps progressing, you can mover Bronson to a contender with pitching problems, and get a quality bat out of the deal to plug in. This would also depend on Micah Owings being a consistent pitcher as well. But as long as Harang, Volquez, and Cueto anchor the front of the rotation, we can take some chances on younger guys on the backend.

ChatterRed
05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I may be off, but I dont think Homer is the guy we trade, I think if Bronson can put up solid numbers, and Homer keeps progressing, you can mover Bronson to a contender with pitching problems, and get a quality bat out of the deal to plug in. This would also depend on Micah Owings being a consistent pitcher as well. But as long as Harang, Volquez, and Cueto anchor the front of the rotation, we can take some chances on younger guys on the backend.

I think you're going to find out that the market has changed, and most "intelligent" teams will not take on big contracts anymore unless they have little time remaining on them........and that nearly all teams are looking for top young prospects who won't be up for the large chunk of cash anytime soon. Hence, they will want Bailey and not Bronson.

redssouth
05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
A contender isn't going to want Bailey over Bronson.

If we are doing a firesale of our own, I agree with you. But Im not talking about a firesale, Im speaking as if we are in contention, and we move a piece of our strength to get some pop for next year.

If we are not in contention, I would even move Harang if the young guys can continue to progress. But if the young guys keep looking as good as they do now, we will probably be in wild card contention.