PDA

View Full Version : Phillips not hustling....

bgwilly31
05-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Okay today on inside pitch mark was really hammering on phillips for not running out the pop up the other night.

Wanting him to sit for at least 2 games and dogging on dusty for not making it happen.

Numerous callers called in and agreed.

heres my take at it.

Sure phillips screwed up no doubt about it. But it didnt effect the game. That doesnt excuse what he did but sitting him for a first offense like that i think is overkill. imo a slap on the wrist a team announcement that it will not be tolerated would be a fair warning for the team.

I'd also like to add that its not only phillips. Watch every game there will be players that dont run out ground balls. half way down the line there already slowing up. heck cueto walked down the line today on a double play ball.

Ghosts of 1990
05-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Scouts said that Bruce and Votto were the only two on the team playing the game hard weeks ago.

redsfanfalcon
05-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Okay today on inside pitch mark was really hammering on phillips for not running out the pop up the other night.

Wanting him to sit for at least 2 games and dogging on dusty for not making it happen.

Numerous callers called in and agreed.

heres my take at it.

Sure phillips screwed up no doubt about it. But it didnt effect the game. That doesnt excuse what he did but sitting him for a first offense like that i think is overkill. imo a slap on the wrist a team announcement that it will not be tolerated would be a fair warning for the team.

I'd also like to add that its not only phillips. Watch every game there will be players that dont run out ground balls. half way down the line there already slowing up. heck cueto walked down the line today on a double play ball.

I am okay with Cueto not hustling down the line. They always tell pitchers to "save your legs" when possible.
Votto has impressed me not only with his skills as a player, but the way he rounded first today on that single to right center (hustling all the way with the possibility it could go to a double) made me realize how much of a leader he is. Sign that guy long term. He has already shown the desires to be an all around great player with some tremendous ability mixed in.
Did you guys see how hard Phillips was running the bases today? Makes me think that guys like Votto, Rosales, and Bruce are starting to rub off a bit. You might have a bad day at the plate or in the field, but you can ALWAYS hustle.

Captain Hook
05-03-2009, 07:38 PM
I wonder if Griffey Jr. would have even made it to first.:dunno:

Its too bad but there are many guys in the big leagues that would have done the same thing.

bgwilly31
05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
many many many^

Which is why guys like freel and rosales and votto are praised so much. same reason why some people like college sports so much . The intensity.

freestyle55
05-04-2009, 09:04 AM
When the guy has been made the face of the team for the last couple years (look at all the advertising) and he said himself last season when Dunn/Griffey were traded that it was his team, and he's not hustling on a ball like that, how can you just pass it off? Especially with all the young guys? Especially in a game you're losing and late in the game? First inning, 0-0, slightly different story (although not much different)...

What was "supposedly" the whole point of getting rid of Dunn/Griffey? "Changing the culture"...guess that means that Phillips can now take plays off, while we get a black hole in LF...

Latiger12
05-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Scouts said that Bruce and Votto were the only two on the team playing the game hard weeks ago.

I heard that too...sucks!

The Tiger...
http://secsportschat.com/sport-chats/img/3760/q09j0504ewht/reds.gif

texasdave
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Let's see if I have this straight.

1) Brandon Phillips states that he wants to be the leader of this team.
2) Brandon Phillips sees the tremendous reception Adam Rosales gets by hustling.
3) Brandon Phillips puts one plus one together and dogs it on a pop up.

Makes perfect sense to me.

bgwilly31
05-04-2009, 10:45 AM
We all have mental lapses.

My point is its a first time offense. Make it a public slap on the hand and go on with it.

Also if some of you are going to get so frustrated at the team over that. Than you have to point it out on everybody every game when somebody doesnt run out a ground ball.

Moosie52
05-04-2009, 11:21 AM
You can't change a leopard's spots. I don't think hustle is Brandon's priority. He's more of a showman.

Bumstead
05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I have to agree, I don't think this is Phillips first time offense. Otherwise people might ask if he was hurt or something. Nah, he's catching crap about it because it happens too often. If this team wants to be there at the end, they have to go hard on every play, not just when they get the urge. IMHO Phillips will never be the leader of this team because he is too interested in himself and showing off. I think Votto is the leader of this team.

Bum

Natty Redlocks
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Fundamental lack of accountability has always been my biggest problem with Dusty Baker. He talks a good game (sometimes) but the inmates run the asylum, ever more so than with other managers.

fugowitribe
05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't like to talk badly about players on here, but this topic was in my mind the other night when I was at the game in Pittsburgh. I got to thinking after the Phillips pop-up, about what he is doing right now. He is hovering around the Mendoza line, lost his Gold-Glove with the couple of errors on the season already, and is coming off of a home-run trot single no more than a week ago. To not hustle a pop-up happens more often than not, but not for a guy in his recent history. This is kind of a slap in the face to the wants and hopes of Reds fans. We idolize a man with the nickname of Charlie hustle and have allowed the Ryan Freels and Chris Stynes of the world to stick it out until we had to get rid of them just because they played hard. I believe we may be seeing what the Indians got rid of out of their minor league system a few years ago. IMO abilities can change and the words spoken can change, but the attitude and values of a player remain the same. The good image that he puts out when he jokes with the camera during a 30-30 season have gone by the way side when he ends up on his butt trying to field a ground ball with the bases loaded and gets taken out by a "minimal contact" slide when trying to turn a Double Play with 1 out and the bases loaded. As much as it hurts to say, he is playing soft and it is extremely dissapointing to see. I hope he can right the ship soon and prove me wrong. I think he is the difference between the playoffs and the last nine years. I just pray that I am looking to much into a bad slump.

UC_Ken
05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
We all have mental lapses.

My point is its a first time offense. Make it a public slap on the hand and go on with it.

It is not a first time offense. I remember a couple years ago BP hot dogging it after he thought he hit a HR. He still got to second so he wasn't benched because Narron said he "got the correct number of bases." This was shortly after EE had been benched for not running out a pop up.

bgwilly31
05-04-2009, 01:51 PM
It is not a first time offense. I remember a couple years ago BP hot dogging it after he thought he hit a HR. He still got to second so he wasn't benched because Narron said he "got the correct number of bases." This was shortly after EE had been benched for not running out a pop up.

i meant for this year.

And once again. Watch the game bud. Every single game somebody on either team numerous times dont run out ground balls. Heck they dont even run out double play ground balls.

bgwilly31
05-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't like to talk badly about players on here, but this topic was in my mind the other night when I was at the game in Pittsburgh. I got to thinking after the Phillips pop-up, about what he is doing right now. He is hovering around the Mendoza line, lost his Gold-Glove with the couple of errors on the season already, and is coming off of a home-run trot single no more than a week ago. To not hustle a pop-up happens more often than not, but not for a guy in his recent history. This is kind of a slap in the face to the wants and hopes of Reds fans. We idolize a man with the nickname of Charlie hustle and have allowed the Ryan Freels and Chris Stynes of the world to stick it out until we had to get rid of them just because they played hard. I believe we may be seeing what the Indians got rid of out of their minor league system a few years ago. IMO abilities can change and the words spoken can change, but the attitude and values of a player remain the same. The good image that he puts out when he jokes with the camera during a 30-30 season have gone by the way side when he ends up on his butt trying to field a ground ball with the bases loaded and gets taken out by a "minimal contact" slide when trying to turn a Double Play with 1 out and the bases loaded. As much as it hurts to say, he is playing soft and it is extremely dissapointing to see. I hope he can right the ship soon and prove me wrong. I think he is the difference between the playoffs and the last nine years. I just pray that I am looking to much into a bad slump.

A lot of sense was made in this post.

I agree and hop eyou are looking too far into a slump.