PDA

View Full Version : I'm Guilty

TRF
05-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I think at times we get so mired in our opinions that we fail to realize everyone on this board essentially wants the same thing: A Championship Season.

I recently took a cheap shot at Willy Taveras. I sat there afterwards smugly thinking, yep... I was right. He's a (insert my opinion here) he's been (insert another opinion here.) for the last week. He isn't getting the job done. 100 steals? pipe dream.

Yet, the Reds are winning, despite what seems like actively rooting for a player to fail. Really seems kinda stupid. I don't want Taveras to fail. But by thinking he will it comes off as rooting against the guy.

I don't want to be that guy.

Truth is, I root for every player in every AB, pitch and defensive situation. I don't want to be the guy that causes rifts.

fearofpopvol1
05-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Kudos to you for recognizing that and owning up to it. Takes a lot for some people.

Now, when will that mindset take places wit Stubbs? ;)

BCubb2003
05-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Does RedsZone need a kangaroo court?

It's a dilemma. You want the player to succeed, but you want the front office to know there are consequences for bad decisions. If you get to the point where you're saying, "That hit will just make Dusty play him more often," then you've gone too far.

Ron Madden
05-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I was against the Taveras signing from the beginning.

Doesnn't mean I'm rooting against Taveras or I'm wanting him to fail.

durl
05-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I agree that there are a lot of cases a move is called a bad decision before the player is given a chance to show whether it's a bad decision or not. We just have to hope for the best.

RedsManRick
05-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I think sometimes people confuse criticism of a player or decision with that person wishing him (or it) to fail.

I still think signing Taveras wasn't a very good idea and that he's not a very good player. But I cheer for him when's up to bat and hope he has a monster season.

jojo
05-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't want to be that guy.

I think that guy is mostly myth.

remdog
05-03-2009, 07:49 PM
People don't usually spend as much time on this board as the average poster does here because they want to see a Reds player or the team fail. That doesn't mean that they can't state opinions on players, acquisitions, coaches, managers, front office, med staff, etc., etc., etc. Those opinions can be positive, negative or in between.

TRF: don't beat yourself up. If you want to do a mia culpa, that's fine with me. Doesn't mean I want to do one.

Rem

IslandRed
05-03-2009, 07:51 PM
I think sometimes people confuse criticism of a player or decision with that person wishing him (or it) to fail.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I've never thought anyone here really wanted a player or the team to fail. I think there are instances, though, where the criticism can be sufficiently strident (or persistent) so as to render that person's posts on the subject indistinguishable from someone who was rooting for failure. I don't think TRF was at that level or had anything to apologize for, really, but good on him for not wanting to be That Guy.

BCubb2003
05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, it looks like we're out of the running for the top draft pick this year.

Topcat
05-03-2009, 08:49 PM
How has Willy T's D been so far ? Is it a screaming improvement of days gone by ?

wheels
05-03-2009, 09:09 PM
People don't usually spend as much time on this board as the average poster does here because they want to see a Reds player or the team fail. That doesn't mean that they can't state opinions on players, acquisitions, coaches, managers, front office, med staff, etc., etc., etc. Those opinions can be positive, negative or in between.

TRF: don't beat yourself up. If you want to do a mia culpa, that's fine with me. Doesn't mean I want to do one.

Rem

Totally.

TRF
05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Kudos to you for recognizing that and owning up to it. Takes a lot for some people.

Now, when will that mindset take places wit Stubbs? ;)

Don't expect miracles.:D

Mario-Rijo
05-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I think that guy is mostly myth.

How dare you Mth is an excellent poster and not guilty I say! :D

jojo
05-03-2009, 11:09 PM
How dare you Mth is an excellent poster and not guilty I say! :D

I think if anybody is guilty of something, it's gotta be Raisor.

Topcat
05-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I think if anybody is guilty of something, it's gotta be Raisor.

Raisor is guilty of so many things there is a Wing in Harvard Library dedicated to his discretion's ;)

WVRedsFan
05-03-2009, 11:31 PM

I still think signing Taveras wasn't a very good idea and that he's not a very good player. But I cheer for him when's up to bat and hope he has a monster season.
Exactly right. I can recognize the weaknesses each player has and verbalize it, but it doesn't mean I want them to fall on their faces. I want Willy T. to hit .290, OBP .370, and steal 100 bases. When he does well or when he's stinking up the joint, he is a Cincinnati Reds and I hope he tears it up.

I really believe Gonzalea' contract was simply poor judgement, but I root for him when he comes up or a ground ball goes toward him. I think that the Reds need to give up on Edwin and move him, but I want him to hit .300 and slam 30 HR's while he is on the team. It's just being a fan.

WVRedsFan
05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, it looks like we're out of the running for the top draft pick this year.Good Grief! You just count on the Reds for anything, can you? :):D;):)

corkedbat
05-04-2009, 12:41 AM
I said some pretty harsh things aoubt WillyT and was against his signing to, but I've been rooting as hard as anyone since ST started for him to prove me wrong.

Mario-Rijo
05-04-2009, 01:44 AM
The only thing some might be guilty of is forgetting his age, he seems to be getting a tick or 2 better in his plate discipline although lately he seems to have forgotten what he was doing early on.

Raisor
05-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Raisor is guilty of so many things there is a Wing in Harvard Library dedicated to his discretion's ;)

I am guilty of exactly one thing. Being too awesome.