PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts

BCubb2003
05-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Johnny Cueto is pitching like the kind of guy the other guys always used to seem to have.

Small ball really only works for teams with lights-out pitching and no other choice, like the Maury Wills-led Dodgers.

Now that the Cowboy has explained OPS, maybe he'll talk about BABIP or PECOTA next.

When future games are broadcast in 3-D on your own living room holodeck, the game you want will still be blacked out.

Are the Reds buyers or sellers?

Wouldn't it be cool if a RedsZoner could be the second-inning chat guy in the booth?

What kind of fans would we have been in 1975-76? Obnoxious or gracious?

If you won the lottery, would you buy a luxury suite, Diamond seats, or lots of cheap seats for all your friends?

Which sport represents the most useful real-life skills? Hitting a rock with a stick, tossing a bladder into a basket, or or carrying a bladder across an arbitrary line?

If you were the manager, what lineup move would we be giving you the most grief about?

HumnHilghtFreel
05-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I wonder what was going through Jason Varitek's head today when Carl Crawford stole 6 bags against him?

jojo
05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
While watching today's game was a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon, who's day wouldn't have been more fun if they would've been part of a pickup game with their buddies/friends/loved ones instead?

There are a few people from my life that I pine to just have a catch with again.

Razor Shines
05-03-2009, 11:42 PM
While watching today's game was a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon, who's day wouldn't have been more fun if they would've been part of a pickup game with their buddies/friends/loved ones instead?

There are a few people from my life that I pine to just have a catch with again.

Absolutely. Given the choice between watching and playing; I'll play almost every time.

fisch11
05-03-2009, 11:43 PM
FSN is switching their cameras to panoramic lenses so that they can more adequately cover BP's range.

Roy Tucker
05-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Which sport represents the most useful real-life skills? Hitting a rock with a stick, tossing a bladder into a basket, or or carrying a bladder across an arbitrary line?

All watched by people filling their bladders with mood-altering liquids. And just to make sure they don't forget, their are regular ads on for the options of what kind of liquid to fill their bladders with.

macro
05-04-2009, 10:33 AM
When future games are broadcast in 3-D on your own living room holodeck, the game you want will still be blacked out.

Ain't that the truth?

If you won the lottery, would you buy a luxury suite, Diamond seats, or lots of cheap seats for all your friends?

Outstanding question, and perhaps worthy of its own thread.

RFS62
05-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Yes

gm
05-04-2009, 12:11 PM

Obnoxious to Dodger and A's fans

Gracious to Pirate, Phillies, Red Sox and Yankee fans\

tossing a bladder into a basket...be green...recycle

gonelong
05-04-2009, 03:24 PM

MegaMillions was a $225M jackpot last week. I'd have been thinking about a 10% stake as an owner.

CarolinaRedleg
05-04-2009, 04:33 PM

And would the longtime Reds fans have been complaining about the "Pink Hat" fans that just jumped on the bandwagon and head out to Riverfront because it's a social event?

SunDeck
05-04-2009, 05:24 PM

That hits home. What I wouldn't do for a hot afternoon in the sun at the sandlot, with my brothers and our friends. Pitcher's mound out, five pitches per AB, and hits to RF are an automatic out. Unless we have enough kids to field the right side, too.

westofyou
05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
And would the longtime Reds fans have been complaining about the "Pink Hat" fans that just jumped on the bandwagon and head out to Riverfront because it's a social event?

Probably, I know for a fact that the New York fans were aghast at the sudden show of woman with their large hats in the early 20th century, it created a back lash against them that included digs that are straight out of the pink ball cap arguments being generated today in Boston.

bucksfan2
05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
That hits home. What I wouldn't do for a hot afternoon in the sun at the sandlot, with my brothers and our friends. Pitcher's mound out, five pitches per AB, and hits to RF are an automatic out. Unless we have enough kids to field the right side, too.

One day a few years ago me and my buddies got together and did just that. We went down to ball field with about 8 guys and played with metal bats and a tennis ball for hours. It brought me back to the days where we would wake up at 8 am and play baseball for hours and hours.

I sure paid for it the next day. I forgot how taxing that kind of baseball can be.

Roy Tucker
05-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Pitcher's poison, RF is closed, and if you hit the runner with a thrown ball, he's out. Steal bases at your own peril.

We'd play till we got too hot and then go next door to the pool. Do some swimming, flex our pasty-white little biceps, try to be cool by diving of the high dive, suck in your stomach while walking past the local talent. Go back and play some more baseball.

jojo
05-04-2009, 06:12 PM

The smell of dirty leather permeates as the mitt wipes stinging sweat from the brow. With a quick tug on the bill, the cap adjusts, and a steady glance surveys the runners from shallow centerfield. Bases loaded, two outs and the last at bat.... only one play. Focus trains on the the pitch with muscles poised ... Crack of the bat.... Instinctive, cat-like jump. Intuitive, effortless acceleration. The world blurs, then melts away leaving only a brilliant blue, the flight of the ball in slowed motion, long strides as light as air, and lungs colliding with the very air they breathe.... Exhiliration. Everything makes sense.

Then, in an instant,

Cheers erupt.

SunDeck
05-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Pitcher's poison, RF is closed, and if you hit the runner with a thrown ball, he's out. Steal bases at your own peril.

We'd play till we got too hot and then go next door to the pool. Do some swimming, flex our pasty-white little biceps, try to be cool by diving of the high dive, suck in your stomach while walking past the local talent. Go back and play some more baseball.

Our summer days went about like this:

8:30am - Swim Team practice
10am - Breakfast, about ten pancakes per kid.
11am - Baseball
1pm - Snack and swim at the pool adjacent to the ballfields.
3pm - Baseball (until 5pm on baseball practice night)
6pm - Home to dinner or baseball practice
7pm - Backyard wiffleball, pickle or 500.

Our mom usually didn't see us from 8:15 until dinner.

westofyou
05-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Our mom usually didn't see us from 8:15 until dinner.

We had 28 kids in one square block, if you included the whole subdivision there was at least 300 kids, my mother rang a cowbell when she wanted us to come home, you could hear it a mile away.

Ron Madden
05-05-2009, 03:49 AM
I grew up on MT.Adams during the 50's & 60's.

Every evening a 6 o'clock the church bells would ring and bring everything to a screeching halt as we all ran home because it was supper time.

:)

remdog
05-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I grew up on MT.Adams during the 50's & 60's.

Every evening a 6 o'clock the church bells would ring and bring everything to a screeching halt as we all ran home because it was supper time.

I lived on Mt. Adams in the early '70's. (Great place, BTW.) Were you playing ball on the field at Eden Park?

Rem

Ron Madden
05-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I lived on Mt. Adams in the early '70's. (Great place, BTW.) Were you playing ball on the field at Eden Park?

Rem

Yes sir, I played on the field in Eden Park that used to be a reservoir. Also played on the fields down at Dear Creek at the foot of the hill where I 71 runs now. Back in those days MT. Adams was full of kids.

Ron Madden
05-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Yes sir, I played on the field in Eden Park that used to be a reservoir. Also played on the fields down at Dear Creek at the foot of the hill where I 71 runs now. Back in those days MT. Adams was full of kids.

I meant to say Deer Creek. I can't spell or type. :)