PDA

View Full Version : Moeller Alum pitches 1st 9 inning No No for Ohio State

redsmetz
05-04-2009, 11:35 AM
My son texted me this news today. OSU sophomore, Alex Wimmers, a Moeller grad, pitched the 1st 9 inning no hitter (9th over all) for the Buckeyes against Michigan. When my son told me the name, I realized I know his family. His dad was a year ahead of me in school and his aunt was in my class in elementary school. Nice family and I remember seeing this kid pitch when he was at Moeller.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2009/05/02/osu_baseball_0503.html?sid=101

Ohio State baseball: Sophomore throws no-hitter against Michigan
Saturday, May 2, 2009 4:16 PM
By Mark Znidar

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Alex Wimmers might have gotten more excited had he hit the lottery or signed a contract with a professional baseball team for seven figures.

Anything else would have been difficult to top the no-hitter Wimmers threw for Ohio State in a 6-0 victory over Michigan today in Bill Davis Stadium.

Wimmers, a sophomore from Cincinnati Moeller, became the first Buckeye to throw a nine-inning no-hitter, the first to throw a no-hitter since Greg Prenger in 2003 and the second to throw a no-hitter against Michigan since Joe Sparma in 1963.

"I couldn't ask for anything more," Wimmers said. "I guess I just had it today. I felt normal before the game. I was a little more excited because I just wanted to beat Michigan."

It was an important victory for Ohio State (33-10, 12-4), which is in a four-team fight with Illinois, Minnesota and Indiana for the Big Ten regular-season championship.

Michigan also had defeated OSU in 12 of the past 16 games.

Wimmers was as strong in the ninth inning as he was in the first. He struck out John Lorenz and Kevin Cislo to end the game for his 13th and 14th strikeouts. He walked four. He faced 28 batters.

Wimmers celebrated by throwing his glove into the air. Teammates mobbed him and pitcher Jake Hale hit him in the face with a shaving cream pie.

Jerry Wimmers thought his son had a good shot at a no-hitter once he got through the eighth inning.

"I've seen him do it before," he said in reference to a perfect game at Cincinnati Moeller High School. "It's always the eighth inning that critical for him. This is unbelievable. It's fantastic. I was nervous. Your legs are just gone."

There were two key defensive plays. In the fourth inning, Ryan LaMarre sent Michael Arp against the wall in right for the third out.

"I made a good pitch on it," Wimmers said. "It just kept carrying and I said, 'Just stay in the park.'"

The most dramatic play came with one out and a runner on first in the eighth inning when Nick Urban sent a two-hop shot up the middle. Shortstop Tyler Engle dove to his left just behind the second base bag and flipped to second baseman Cory Kovanda for the forceout.

"That was awesome," Wimmers said.

George Anderson
05-04-2009, 11:50 AM
The plate ump for the game works for the same association that I do and is an outstanding umpire. However he has never been known to have a very tight zone.