View Full Version : Vintage Baseball Photos - Non Professional

westofyou
05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Nice slide show of old snapshots involving baseball

http://www.squareamerica.com/playball/

http://baseballminutia.com/images/kiiid.gif

cumberlandreds
05-04-2009, 01:26 PM
This was from a time when baseball was truly America's game. Used to be every small or large town had leagues for adults. I have some old home movies taken by my grandfather in the 1950's of my dad and others in my family playing fast pitch softball. Its neat to watch. You could tell they were playing for the pure pleasure of it and it had an innocence about it that you just can't find in today's world.

jojo
05-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Fantastic.

Topcat
05-04-2009, 07:40 PM
That was when community's were more close knit and, Baseballs decline in neighborhoods is truly an area that needs a renaissance.

Vada Pinson Fan
05-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks WOY. That was fun especially the picture someone took of the tv set showing a big league game. At least it looked that way to me.

It really is a shame that kids today are missing the fun of getting all together, choosing up sides and learning all about baseball. For kids today, if it's not electric or electronic, who cares. It's the parents fault. My kids played. No excuse for not having the equipment. Instead play wiffle ball. Look what our "push button", instant communication, gaming society has done. :( But the good news it can be changed. All of you young parents, take your kids and show 'em how to play. Pitch to them. Get them active and in the fresh (well ok, it's smog-filled) outdoor air, but still, you know what I mean. ;)

I'm finished preaching now. :)

vaticanplum
05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks WOY. That was fun especially the picture someone took of the tv set showing a big league game. At least it looked that way to me.

It really is a shame that kids today are missing the fun of getting all together, choosing up sides and learning all about baseball. For kids today, if it's not electric or electronic, who cares. It's the parents fault. My kids played. No excuse for not having the equipment. Instead play wiffle ball. Look what our "push button", instant communication, gaming society has done. :( But the good news it can be changed. All of you young parents, take your kids and show 'em how to play. Pitch to them. Get them active and in the fresh (well ok, it's smog-filled) outdoor air, but still, you know what I mean. ;)

I'm finished preaching now. :)

When I lived in New York, the kids on the street played streetball (and park ball, when the weather was nice) constantly. Like, every single day unless it was freezing or raining. All ages, all skill levels, boys and girls. Sundays at the park were a madhouse of baseball: Hispanic teams, Orthodox Jewish teams, kids, hipsters. This was within the last decade.

They were all diehard Yankees fans, incidentally, and they have a fairly big hand in my own fandom. Ironically for a team so perceived to be the big evil empire, I've never in my life witnessed the pure nostalgic fandom and general treatment of the "pastime" -- as so many people in other places claim doesn't exist anymore-- as I did with people like these kids.

I wonder if, demographically, it hasn't stuck to the bigger cities. It makes sense in a way...you can get by playing baseball in a lot smaller space than you can with football, and the equipment is a lot more portable than a basketball hoop.

Redsfaithful
05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
These are awesome woy, thanks for posting.