PDA

View Full Version : Reds at Marlins Series (5/4-5/5)

Eric_the_Red
05-04-2009, 01:44 PM
A short 2 game set between the mighty Redlegs and Flounderin' Fish.

Reds 13-11, .542, tied for 2nd in Central
Marlins 14-11, .560, 1st in East

Probables:
Monday 7:10
Aaron Harang, RHP (2-3, 3.09)
vs.
Josh Johnson, RHP (2-0, 2.60)

Tuesday 7:10
Edinson Volquez, RHP (3-2, 4.45)
vs.
Chris Volstad, RHP (2-0, 2.67)

More notes to come....

Ghosts of 1990
05-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I want them both, badly. But I think most likely we'll see a split seeing these two strong and good righthanders. One game we'll be shut down completely and the next we'll get to them a little bit. I'm glad we're facing two really good pitchers. It's a good test for our young hitters. Good to see where we're at with this measuring stick.

bgwilly31
05-04-2009, 01:54 PM
wow.

Who thinks we dont score more than 3 runs for the series>?

Slyder
05-04-2009, 01:58 PM
wow.

Who thinks we dont score more than 3 runs for the series>?

Dont just stop there, who thinks the two teams will score more than 5 runs total for the series?

Fon Duc Tow
05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Seems like each round of the rotation so far, either Volquez or Harrang has gotten roughed up.

So I agree, we will probably split the series. Win one 1-0 and get blown out in the other one.

Which will further mess up the math. If you win all of your games 1-0 but lose all of your games 2-9, what does THAT do to the Pythagorean Theorem? :)

schmidty622
05-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Another night where it is important to take pitches and make the other pitcher work. These guys are both young and like all young pitchers prone to bouts of control problems. If we can get into that bullpen I will really like our chances.

xavr1
05-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Marlins were my preseason favorites to win the NL. They have very solid young pitching, and we're gonna be seeing the best of it in Johnson and Volstad. Obviously, I'd love to see us take both but I dont see it happening on the road. I think our best shot is tonight with Harang going. Johnson gave up a couple in New York in his last start. As always, we need to get on him quick. I know EV can give us some good innings tomorrow, too, but for some reason I still cant trust him before a start.

My prediction: 1-1. Head home for the Central series at 14-12. I'll take it.

NeilHamburger
05-04-2009, 03:30 PM
It just sucks, it seems like every series the reds face the opposing teams best. I think the last pittsburgh series is the first series this year where the reds haven't faced the opposing teams #1, you can look it up. Missing Maholm is the first break this team has had this year. The other 3 pitchers in the rotation have a combined ERA around 5.50 by the way, and of course that's who the Cubs got to face and sweep. The only answer is god hates the reds.

xavr1
05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
It just sucks, it seems like every series the reds face the opposing teams best. I think the last pittsburgh series is the first series this year where the reds haven't faced the opposing teams #1, you can look it up. Missing Maholm is the first break this team has had this year. The other 3 pitchers in the rotation have a combined ERA around 5.50 by the way, and of course that's who the Cubs got to face and sweep. The only answer is god hates the reds.

I have noticed that, too. But usually the aces we face are going against our best arms, too. Thats the case in Florida today and tomorrow. We are throwing our Nos. 1 and 2 against theirs. Teams usually try to ensure that their ace will be facing the other team's ace. Its been happening a lot this year. Harang was squared off against some nasty guys.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I really think the Reds are going to suprise us and take both games, my prediction 1-1 but I won't be suprised one bit if they take both games.

WildcatFan
05-04-2009, 03:43 PM
I really think the Reds are going to suprise us and take both games, my prediction 1-1 but I won't be suprised one bit if they take both games.

Didn't leave yourself much room for error there did ya? ;)

Fon Duc Tow
05-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Didn't leave yourself much room for error there did ya? ;)

It is possible that the Reds lose both of these. Then again, the Reds could surprise and take both games. My prediction is that they will split the series.

In other news, there is a 50 percent chance of rain today. But mother nature could surprise us and bring sunny skies instead.

I'll bet if you flip a coin it will land on heads. But I have seen situations where the coin lands on tails, so you really can't rule that out either.

xavr1
05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I really think it will land on tails. But youre right: you never know...