PDA

View Full Version : Speed & Defense

CincyRed44
05-05-2009, 12:41 AM
They said it the entire off-season "SPEED & DEFENSE", preaching "SPEED & DEFENSE", well from the early returns we may be faster but we don't/can't run and our defense is worse than last year. :angry: Is that even possible?

Speed is useless if you're not running when the opportunity arises. Now I'm not naive enough to think that stealing a base every time (though nice) is doable, but with this offense something needs to be done to CREATE opportunities. The REDS can no longer sit and wait on the proverbial blooper and a blast to get it done; it's not going to happen with any regularity.

It is a crying shame our pitching staff has not one but two starters in the top five for lack of run support. They know a shutout is necessary every time they take the hill. Tonight’s text message question was a bit poignant, “How many shutouts will the Reds toss this year?” The maximum answer was twelve but as I see it the REDS will need a whole bunch more than twelve to stay in contention this season.

schmidty622
05-05-2009, 07:23 AM
The defense seems to make a lot of really good plays but it struggles with the routine.

Personally I don't really think they have upgraded a whole lot from last year in that department.