PDA

View Full Version : How good can our pitching be this year?

redsfandan
05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
This is how our pitching ranks so far among all 30 MLB teams in a few categories:

6th best era,
1st in shutouts,
9th best in whip,
4th best in ops allowed,
9th best in batting average allowed,
7th best in (least amount of) hrs allowed,
3rd best in (least amount of) total bases allowed

Granted that's only after 24 games so how teams rank is sure to change but I think they have a shot at being one of the top 10 pitching staffs this year. What do all of you think?

membengal
05-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Given that I think they can do even better at limiting baserunners as the weather warms up, I think they can be top 10.

oregonred
05-05-2009, 10:51 PM
When the games close out tonight on cinco de mayo, the Cincinnati Reds (Yes, the Cincinnati Reds) will have the lowest ERA in baseball at 3.61. Never thought I'd see that day a month into the season.

They may also be #1 in OPS against and in the top 5 of just about every other meaningful pitching stat.

RA/RS is now down to -1

fearofpopvol1
05-05-2009, 11:09 PM
A very interesting fact that they showed at the end of the game...as noted above, 6 shutouts this season and we're a month in. The Reds had 6 shutouts all of 2008.

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2009, 02:12 AM
I've said it before this is one of the better rotations in the NL for sure. All of baseball definitely top 10, at least on production.

bucksfan2
05-06-2009, 08:47 AM
I've said it before this is one of the better rotations in the NL for sure. All of baseball definitely top 10, at least on production.

They way the Reds are pitching right now you will have a hard time proving any rotation is better than the Reds right now. Granted that is subject to change, but good lord are they pitching will right now.

The Reds have two potential shut down pitchers in Cueto and Volquez, with Harang not far behind. Arroyo has shown that he is an above league average pitcher who eats up innings. Owings, while nothing special, has the stuff to be a very effective pitcher while being the 5th best pitcher on the staff. You put him on another team and he likely is at least their 3rd best pitcher.

I like the mix the Reds staff has. They have young live arms and veterans who know how to pitch. They may have 4 guys within the top 15 in strikeouts. Its scary to think how good this rotation can be considering maybe their best pitcher is in AAA now.

RedsManRick
05-06-2009, 08:51 AM
As good as the top of the staff has been, what this season will likely show in the end is the value of not having anybody who just kills you. We're used to getting 7+ ERAs out of our amalgamation of a 5th starter. Simply having quality ML pitching 1-12 (if you want to count Lincoln as such at this point...) is a huge step forward.

nate
05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Here's to hoping this thread continues to extol the virtues of the staff throughout the season!

_Sir_Charles_
05-06-2009, 08:57 AM
6th best in team ERA? Espn has them at number ONE!

Reds 3.61
Giants 3.64
Royals 3.72
Dodgers 3.75
Pirates 3.76

Who would've thunk it? :O)

oops, just saw oregonred's post. Oh well, it deserves being mentioned twice, doesn't it? *grin*

membengal
05-06-2009, 09:00 AM
You do understand he posted this before yesterday's games, right?

_Sir_Charles_
05-06-2009, 09:01 AM
You do understand he posted this before yesterday's games, right?

Well...NOW I do. :O) Sorry, I'm still half asleep.

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
6th best in team ERA? Espn has them at number ONE!

Reds 3.61
Giants 3.64
Royals 3.72
Dodgers 3.75
Pirates 3.76

Who would've thunk it? :O)

oops, just saw oregonred's post. Oh well, it deserves being mentioned twice, doesn't it? *grin*

Look @ #'s 3 & 5 anyone think they hang around? I know they are both improved but they ain't top 5 material 1-12. #'s 2 & 4 should be right close though.

membengal
05-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I think the Royals will hang around.

bucksfan2
05-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Here's to hoping this thread continues to extol the virtues of the staff throughout the season!

:beerme:

RedlegJake
05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
The Royals will be there. Drayton Moore has quietly assembled a young exciting team much like the Reds - and with their ballyhooed young future ace in AAA (Hochevar) struggling a bit, much like Bailey. In fact you can almost draw a parallel right down the line, except the Royals have better overall hitting than the Reds (and 1-12 the Reds slightly better pitching). As a resident of the greater KC area for a long time now, the Royals are my favorite AL team - though they pale in comparison to the Reds for me (funny how the childhood team ALWAYS remains #1 no matter what). I am so enjoying this season. Had you told me two years ago both the Reds and Royals would be doing this well right now I'd have told you to see a shrink. The Royals division may actually favor them a bit more than the Reds - nothing else special in the AL Central.

Scrap Irony
05-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Me, too, mem. Solid young core with an emerging starting staff including the best pitcher in baseball in April. (Cliff Lee became Mr. Cy Young largely from an excellent beginning month and the confidence it gave him to throw his pitch.)

The question is whether the hitting can continue to progress.

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I think the Royals will hang around.

Really their 3,4 and 5 are a bit shaky at best IMO at least where they are slotted (in Davies case). I like Soria and Cruz but the rest of that pen is also a bit shaky especially Farnsworth. Mahay is a decent LH I suppose also. But the real problem for them IMO is depth they have none.

fearofpopvol1
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
As good as the top of the staff has been, what this season will likely show in the end is the value of not having anybody who just kills you. We're used to getting 7+ ERAs out of our amalgamation of a 5th starter. Simply having quality ML pitching 1-12 (if you want to count Lincoln as such at this point...) is a huge step forward.

I do agree. Lincoln I'm not sure is solid. But I think Baker misuses him. I'd rather him and Lincoln swap roles. Actually, I'd rather Lincoln be DFA and Fisher/Roenicke brought up, but that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Scrap Irony
05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Who and Lincoln? Massett?

I'm guessing Lincoln ends the year at around a 4.00 ERA. That's a pretty solid middle reliever in my book. He simply got off to a poor start, something Redszone cannot stand.

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Who and Lincoln? Massett?

I'm guessing Lincoln ends the year at around a 4.00 ERA. That's a pretty solid middle reliever in my book. He simply got off to a poor start, something Redszone cannot stand.

I agree I don't think Lincoln isn't as bad as some people feel he is. When he goes bad he goes real bad is all.