PDA

View Full Version : Drew Sutton is activated for Louisville

GOYA
05-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Sutton is playing 2B for Louisville tonight.

GOYA
05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Brian Peterson was assigned to Billings.

Topcat
05-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Lets see what kid has especially since kepp was only thing given up. I also have read on the zone how this kid has a true shot to be a decent player.

lollipopcurve
05-06-2009, 07:59 AM
2 throwing errors last night. He's known as a shaky defender.

bucksfan2
05-06-2009, 08:18 AM
2 throwing errors last night. He's known as a shaky defender.

1st game back I wouldn't put too much into those two errors.

lollipopcurve
05-06-2009, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't put too much into those two errors.

I wouldn't put much faith in his defense, either. Like I said, he's thought to be subpar. In the middle of the infield, that's not good. He's going to be a utility player who's valued for his ability to plug holes and hit a little bit. He's not going to play regularly in the middle of the diamond, IMO. I like the guy, but we're going to have to overlook what he brings with the glove.

RedsManRick
05-06-2009, 08:49 AM
From Christina Kahrl at BP

Sutton is the payoff for making Jeff Keppinger an Astro, which might qualify as overpayment considering that Sutton was the Astros' eighth-ranked prospect before the season, but the Astros' system is arguably the game's worst, so on one level, this might actually be a step down from Richar, the former D'backs and White Sox bumped from the 40-man to make room, and someone once seen as a plausible starter for somebody at second. However, with Richar struggling to keep his average above the Mendoza line and his OBP above the Guillen line (in many more years to reach it, Ozzie put up a .300 OBP in as many seasons—four—as Mario topped .200), I doubt there's a diehard band of Richar defenders left out there. Sutton's not a defensive asset anywhere in the infield, and he's already in his age-26 season. Between some modest amount of speed and pop added to his switch-hitting, he could stick as somebody's utilityman someday, but effectively, this is an exchange that sent the Reds somebody no more than a Keppinger wannabe for the original article. If there's a scorecard on this kind of deal, it more probably involves Walt Jocketty doing Ed Wade a favor, and maybe that matters for something later on this summer, when the Astros are dead while the Reds still have ambitions to entertain.

bucksfan2
05-06-2009, 10:35 AM
So basically the Reds traded Jeff Keppinger for a switch hitting Jeff Keppinger who happens to have option? Thats a pretty good return for a guy who didn't have a role on the current major league club.

GIDP
05-06-2009, 11:13 AM
So basically the Reds traded Jeff Keppinger for a switch hitting Jeff Keppinger who happens to have option? Thats a pretty good return for a guy who didn't have a role on the current major league club.

Yep, and the guy is a little younger to boot.

Sutton is a little more versatile in terms of defensive positions.

camisadelgolf
05-06-2009, 01:43 PM
In my opinion, if you look at the deal as simply Sutton for Keppinger, it's somewhat even, but given the context (Keppinger is out of options, soon eligible for arbitration, and redundant on the 25-man roster), the Reds got a steal.

Kingspoint
05-07-2009, 06:16 PM
....and he's a switch-hitter. The Major League club needs a switch-hitter on it.

lollipopcurve
05-08-2009, 08:46 AM
...and he's a switch-hitter. The Major League club needs a switch-hitter on it.

Absolutely. I'm wondering if they're waiting on him getting a few ABs in Louisville before they call him up and put Gonzo on the DL.