PDA

View Full Version : The Kind Of Stuff I Think About (and it worries me)...

chicoruiz
05-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I believe that if you listed every major league player in history alphabetically, tonight's starting pitchers would be adjacent to each other. I wonder if that's ever happened before...

Originally I thought about Joe and Phil Niekro, but nowadays Lance splits them.

BTW, the pitcher right before Volquez alphabetically seems to be Bill Voiselle, who was the only major league player to wear his hometown name on his uniform (he was from Ninety-Six, North Carolina).

Bob Borkowski
05-05-2009, 09:34 PM
You have unusual things to think about, Chico. ;)

But, according to Baseball Reference, there were 4 other guys named Volquez who played in the bigs: two guys named Angel, Julio and Rafael. Wouldn't they mess up your alpha list?

By the way, where is that list of all major-leaguers you are talking about? Or are we just talking about pitchers?

westofyou
05-05-2009, 10:07 PM
You are not alone, I think about equally odd stuff, including categorizing pitchers who threw altered pitches that were not spitballs... helps ya get to sleep.

BCubb2003
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
How about Greg Maddux and Mike Maddux?

RedFanAlways1966
05-05-2009, 10:39 PM
How about Greg Maddux and Mike Maddux?

Or Bob Forsch and Ken Forsch? :)

westofyou
05-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Or Bob Forsch and Ken Forsch? :)

George and Dick Sisler

BCubb2003
05-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Maybe we should try to come up with non-fraternal candidates.

RedFanAlways1966
05-05-2009, 11:10 PM

Okay. Odalis Perez and Oliver Perez?

I'd have to think they started against each other at one time in their NL careers.

Tornon
05-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Bobby M. Jones & Bobby O. Jones or whatever the second one's initial was?

macro
05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
When pitcher Gabe White made his Major League debut for the Expos in 1994, he became only the second player in Major League history with the first name "Gabe". (The first was Gabe Gabler, who played only three games with the Cubs in 1958.) Since White, five more "Gabes" have appeared in Major League games, ushering in the "Gabe Era" in Major League Baseball. Three of them made their debut in 1998 alone (Alvarez, Gonzales, Kapler), another in 1999 (Molina), and one in 2004 (Gross).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl/player_search.cgi?search=gabe

Now we're into our fifth year with no new Gabes! Is the Gabe Era over?

To top it off, I seem to recall speculation on this very site a few years ago about the Reds trading Gabe White for Gabe Kapler, which would have obviously made the only time in Major League history that two Gabes were traded for each other.

I looked this stuff up about five years ago and have been hanging onto it, just waiting for the right time to share it. :laugh:

BCubb2003
05-06-2009, 12:05 AM
I think we're well into the Josh Era now.

Topcat
05-06-2009, 02:05 AM
How many Xavier's :confused: Besides Hernandez I can not recall of any. LOL oops Just gave chico and Woy some more things to think on lol.

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2009, 03:06 AM
How many Xavier's :confused: Besides Hernandez I can not recall of any. LOL oops Just gave chico and Woy some more things to think on lol.

Nady

Edskin
05-06-2009, 06:57 AM
I remember Kurt Gouveia from the NFL because he was the only player in history to have all 5 vowels in his last name. Anyone know if this has happened in MLB?

Big Klu
05-06-2009, 08:53 AM
I remember Kurt Gouveia from the NFL because he was the only player in history to have all 5 vowels in his last name. Anyone know if this has happened in MLB?

Ed Figueroa.

chicoruiz
05-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Aurelio Lopez and Aurelio Rodriguez, if you count first names.

I mentioned that Bill Voiselle had his hometown name on his uniform- Carlos May was born on May 21 and wore uniform #21, so he had his full birthday on his jersey.

nate
05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Didn't Vida Blue used to have "Vida" on the back of his jersey rather than "Blue?"

blumj
05-06-2009, 10:23 AM
When pitcher Gabe White made his Major League debut for the Expos in 1994, he became only the second player in Major League history with the first name "Gabe". (The first was Gabe Gabler, who played only three games with the Cubs in 1958.) Since White, five more "Gabes" have appeared in Major League games, ushering in the "Gabe Era" in Major League Baseball. Three of them made their debut in 1998 alone (Alvarez, Gonzales, Kapler), another in 1999 (Molina), and one in 2004 (Gross).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl/player_search.cgi?search=gabe

Now we're into our fifth year with no new Gabes! Is the Gabe Era over?

To top it off, I seem to recall speculation on this very site a few years ago about the Reds trading Gabe White for Gabe Kapler, which would have obviously made the only time in Major League history that two Gabes were traded for each other.

I looked this stuff up about five years ago and have been hanging onto it, just waiting for the right time to share it. :laugh:

That few Gabes, and 2 of them are sharing one position now. Gross and Kapler platoon in Rf for the Rays, and I think I heard their tv guy refer to them as, "The Gabes".

RichRed
05-06-2009, 10:31 AM

Mel Ott and Ed Ott. Ed Ott also has the shortest name in MLB history (if you ignore the fact that his full name is Nathan Edward Ott).

BCubb2003
05-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Didn't Vida Blue used to have "Vida" on the back of his jersey rather than "Blue?"

I know he refused Charlie Finley's request to change his first name to "True" ...

westofyou
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Today in 1953 - Bobo Holloman of the St. Louis Browns pitched a 6-0 no-hitter against the Philadelphia Athletics in his first major league start. He never pitched another complete game in the majors.

Bobo what name... in 1953 Bobo Newsome (or Buck depending on what source you read) also was in the league, thus 2 Bobo's in the league at once!!

One more Bobo came up in 1957, Bobo Osborn, he left the game in 1963.

Sadly no Bobo's (by Name) in the game since then.

TRF
05-06-2009, 12:42 PM
An oldie but a goody. best battery names, Bud Black and Steve Decker.

nate
05-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Today in 1953 - Bobo Holloman of the St. Louis Browns pitched a 6-0 no-hitter against the Philadelphia Athletics in his first major league start. He never pitched another complete game in the majors.

Bobo what name... in 1953 Bobo Newsome (or Buck depending on what source you read) also was in the league, thus 2 Bobo's in the league at once!!

One more Bobo came up in 1957, Bobo Osborn, he left the game in 1963.

Sadly no Bobo's (by Name) in the game since then.

There was my all-time favorite baseball name: Bombo (Rivera), however!

CarolinaRedleg
05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
So if Ed Ott had baseball's shortest name, who had the longest?

William Van Landingham?

RichRed
05-06-2009, 12:52 PM
One of the more unfortunate nicknames belonged to Hugh "Losing Pitcher" Mulcahy. He compiled a career record of 45-89 (.336) despite a career ERA+ of 90 - not that much below average - playing for some woeful Phillies teams in the 30s and 40s.

If he hadn't lost his prime years to WWII, there's no telling how much more he could've lived up to that nickname.

westofyou
05-06-2009, 12:55 PM
So if Ed Ott had baseball's shortest name, who had the longest?

William Van Landingham?

Currently it has to be Jarrod Saltalamacchia

George Anderson
05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
There was my all-time favorite baseball name: Bombo (Rivera), however!

Believe it or not but Bombo actually had a song written about him.

The Ballad of Bombo Rivera
by Garrison Keillor and The Powdermilk Biscuit Band
(written by Garrison Keillor)

[Chorus]
Bombo, Bombo
Bombo Rivera
What other guys just hit one of
Bombo, he hits a pair-a!
It takes two to tango and two to mambo
But you can do it all with just one Bombo
Bombo Rivera will carry us to victory!

Well all the men love Bombo
‘Cause he’s a guy who came to play.
And all the women love him
‘Cause his name ends in E-R-A.
You can have apple pie,
You can take my mom
We’re gonna win the flag
‘Cause we’ve got The Bomb.

Well we went to the game and we yelled his name
And he tipped his hat and smiled.
The count was 3 and 2, and the pitcher threw
The crowd about went wild!
It was a southpaw pitcher
But the ball went nort’
Up through the hole
Between third and short!

(Chorus)

Well all the kids love Bombo
‘Cause he plays the game for fun.
And we know that God loves Bombo
‘Cause God loves everyone.
And He loves a guy who waves and laughs
And stays around late to sign the autographs.

Well, Mr. Bombo, this Biscuit combo
Plays a whole lot like you.
They swing away, see how loose they play?
But they do what they have to do.
Well here comes the sun
It looks like spring
The Twins just won
And I’ve gotta sing!

Chip R
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM
What about Scott Servais the catcher and Scott Service the pitcher?

nate
05-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Do remember the game they faced each other?

chicoruiz
05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Bombo Rivera is no doubt a great name, but I'd have to go with Coco Laboy- it just sounds too much like a stripper name not to love.

If you allow nicknames I might go with Lou "The Nervous Greek" Skizas.

I mean, "The Nervous Greek"??? I'm afraid to even ask where that came from...

westofyou
05-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Do remember the game they faced each other?

Time stopped for a half a second right?

Chip R
05-06-2009, 01:34 PM

I think ESPN broke into a Red Sox-Yankees game to show it. ;)

Edskin
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM

They were going to, but then Joe Torre sneezed and David Ortiz scratched his nose and they decided not to cut.

nate
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM

Is that why all my clocks are slow now?

nate
05-06-2009, 01:42 PM

Crazy talk!

CarolinaRedleg
05-06-2009, 01:50 PM

One or the other must have been playing for the Cubs, Dodgers, Mets or Angels at the time :rolleyes:

Scrap Irony
05-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I was always partial to the name Rabbit Maranville. Sounds like a ballplayer.

Tornon
05-06-2009, 02:04 PM

There was Kevin Brown the catcher & Kevin Brown the pitcher during the same time period too. I dunno if they were a battery/faced each other though

And I remember Tim Kirkjian saying Nelson Figueroa was the only starting pitcher in history to have all 5 vowels in his name

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2009, 02:24 PM
There was Kevin Brown the catcher & Kevin Brown the pitcher during the same time period too. I dunno if they were a battery/faced each other though

And I remember Tim Kirkjian saying Nelson Figueroa was the only starting pitcher in history to have all 5 vowels in his name

Heck all 5 just in his last name.

macro
05-06-2009, 03:44 PM

I think Mr. Kirkjian is forgetting about Yankees starting pitcher Ed Figueroa, who won 20 games back in the 70s and was pretty successful for them and the Angels.

cumberlandreds
05-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I was always partial to the name Rabbit Maranville. Sounds like a ballplayer.

I hear he was good at fielding one hoppers. :p:

BCubb2003
05-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Sadly it seems that in this era, nicknames usually aren't installed as the name the player goes by. It would be cool though, to be talking about Big Donkey Dunn and Baby-Faced Assassin Graves.

mth123
05-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Sadly it seems that in this era, nicknames usually aren't installed as the name the player goes by. It would be cool though, to be talking about Big Donkey Dunn and Baby-Faced Assassin Graves.

and don't even try to say "Seabass";)

RedFanAlways1966
05-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Greg Olson - 1993 Braves catcher
Gregg Olson - 1994 Braves pitcher