PDA

View Full Version : Ramon Hernandez' game calling

nate
05-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Ever since the beginning of the season, I've really noticed Hernandez' behind the plate because...err...well...he's like in the middle of the screen. Anyhow...I've really liked the way he sets up back there. It seems like he'll sometimes setup on one side of the plate, then quickly move to the other side in an effort to "deke" the hitter.

Anyhow, his receiving game has really stuck out to me as something the Reds haven't seemed to have for a few years: a good field captain.

Thoughts?

lollipopcurve
05-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Ever since the beginning of the season, I've really noticed Hernandez' behind the plate because...err...well...he's like in the middle of the screen. Anyhow...I've really liked the way he sets up back there. It seems like he'll sometimes setup on one side of the plate, then quickly move to the other side in an effort to "deke" the hitter.

Anyhow, his receiving game has really stuck out to me as something the Reds haven't seemed to have for a few years: a good field captain.

Thoughts?

Can't argue with the results, that's for sure. I'm surprised it doesn't bother the pitcher when he shifts around back there. As a whole, he's been a plus defensively -- throwing has been solid and he's making plays in the field, too.

Personally, I prefer the way Hanigan receives the ball. But I have no complaints with Hernandez. He's a huge upgrade, especially with the bat, over what the team has had in the last few years.

bucksfan2
05-06-2009, 09:31 AM
It may just be me but it looks like he knows how to frame pitches better than catchers in the past.

Cyclone792
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
The Hernandez/Hanigan catching duo just blows the doors out of the catching duo we've seen in recent years, both offensively and defensively. Other than the expectation of improved pitching, the massive improvements in the catching department was the number one thing I was looking forward to this season.

What we have this season over last season:

Over 50 points of additional OPS, including 25 points of additional on-base percentage.

Better game calling and pitch framing.

Better ability to shut off the opposing running game (46 percent of steal attempts wiped out).

Better ability to field throws and block the plate (I cringe every time I think about David Ross trying to field a throw and block the plate).

Better quickness and overall fielding ability on bunts and balls chopped in front of the plate.

The overall catching situation is as good - if not better - than what the Reds had during LaRue's peak years. It's exponentially better this season than anything we've had since LaRue's peak.

RichRed
05-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Right on, Cyclone. I was cautiously optimistic about the trade of Freel for Hernandez as soon as it happened but now it's starting to look like an outright theft by Jocketty, at least in these early stages.

traderumor
05-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Hernandez is growing on me, I was not warm to him with his bat's slow start and the lazy passed balls, whereby he gives a lame attempt at a backhand and will not get over and block it. Then, he's got to be giving Henry Blanco a run for the money on slowest catcher ever. But he seems to be learning how to call games for the staff, which he would have learned in ST if it weren't for Bud's WBC, the bat is coming around, and I have seen him moving more to block potential wild pitches. Still, defensively, he is average, at best, so his bat still needs improvement or we're better off with Hanigan's plus defense and game management on a timeshare basis. Honestly, I like Hanigan much better, but I'm just not sure he is everyday.

Scrap Irony
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
So is the Red pitching improvement on the Red defense overall, the improvement in the five pitchers, the finding of a fifth starter, or Hernandez's game-calling?

And how much of each gets any credit?

Chip R
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm not wild about his throwing arm but David Ross had a great arm and he couldn't catch a cold. Hopefully he'll show a little more power as the season goes on. Otherwise, I'm fine with him.

I liked the trade because it gave the Reds a proven MLB catcher who had some pop and it got rid of Freel - good guy but redundant - and his salary.

nate
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm not wild about his throwing arm but David Ross had a great arm and he couldn't catch a cold. Hopefully he'll show a little more power as the season goes on. Otherwise, I'm fine with him.

I liked the trade because it gave the Reds a proven MLB catcher who had some pop and it got rid of Freel - good guy but redundant - and his salary.

OMG! Does this mean you're "over" Javy?

:cool:

top6
05-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I admit that I complained a lot in the offseason that the Reds hadn't upgraded any position, but I admit I ignored catching. This really was a pretty big upgrade. Good job, Reds.

SirFelixCat
05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
So is the Red pitching improvement on the Red defense overall, the improvement in the five pitchers, the finding of a fifth starter, or Hernandez's game-calling?

And how much of each gets any credit?

I think it has to be part of 'all of the above'. I mean, the defense, for the most part, is light years ahead of where it's been in the last, what, decade? This is the best pitching staff I remember the Reds having and RH has saved a lot of runs w/ his defense and ability to throw out runners. I really can't say much as far as his game calling, although he does seem to be in touch w/ what the pitchers want/are thinking, so obviously that has to be a good thing.

Good defense, in general, makes your pitchers look even better, so yeah, it's a bit of all of the above, imo.

fearofpopvol1
05-06-2009, 11:18 AM
The Hernandez/Hanigan catching duo just blows the doors out of the catching duo we've seen in recent years, both offensively and defensively. Other than the expectation of improved pitching, the massive improvements in the catching department was the number one thing I was looking forward to this season.

What we have this season over last season:

Over 50 points of additional OPS, including 25 points of additional on-base percentage.

Better game calling and pitch framing.

Better ability to shut off the opposing running game (46 percent of steal attempts wiped out).

Better ability to field throws and block the plate (I cringe every time I think about David Ross trying to field a throw and block the plate).

Better quickness and overall fielding ability on bunts and balls chopped in front of the plate.

The overall catching situation is as good - if not better - than what the Reds had during LaRue's peak years. It's exponentially better this season than anything we've had since LaRue's peak.

I completely agree with this. Getting Hernandez for Freel was a steal. Hernandez does a lot of the little things (the things stats don't always measure) right. I'd like to see Hanigan catch a few more games as well, but I have no gripes with Hernandez.

Chip R
05-06-2009, 11:18 AM
OMG! Does this mean you're "over" Javy?

:cool:

Never!

Walt needs to consider bringing him back just to increase attendance.

Scrap Irony
05-06-2009, 11:29 AM
And to play 3B.

RFS62
05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
He's a big upgrade.

Nicely done, Cyclone. I agree with pretty much all you said.

remdog
05-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Funny. I was either going to start a thread like this or add it to 'Grade Jocketty' thread. Started working on some numbers about 1:00 AM PDT but started to nod off. Went to bed, figured I'd do it in the morning. Guess someone else was channeling me. ;)

Last summer I posted that one of the fastest ways to improve your team is to improve your weakest position, which at that time, I considered Catcher. Some agreed with it, some didn't. So far, the RH boys have made a big step up from that 'weakest' position. Hernandez's play on that little bouncer in front of the plate yesterday was cat like and picking Cody Ross off of 1st was a big bonus.

Plus, the latin pitchers seem to like to throw to Hernandez. I still think that Hernandez is learning the staff and that the World Baseball Farce cost the Reds in that area.

Hanigan has been terrific in a backup position. It's tough to get him some playing time if Hernandez is hiting but I wouldn't worry about sending him out there for a few games as the summer drags on and Ramon needs a break. I really like how low Ryan gets behind the plate. He's so low he looks like a sand crab at low tide.

Give Walt credit for realizing he had to upgrade this position and he did something about it---jettisoned Ross, Bako and Javy, kept Hanigan and added Hernandez. Huge upgrade, IMO.

Rem

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Funny. I was either going to start a thread like this or add it to 'Grade Jocketty' thread. Started working on some numbers about 1:00 AM PDT but started to nod off. Went to bed, figured I'd do it in the morning. Guess someone else was channeling me. ;)

Last summer I posted that one of the fastest ways to improve your team is to improve your weakest position, which at that time, I considered Catcher. Some agreed with it, some didn't. So far, the RH boys have made a big step up from that 'weakest' position. Hernandez's play on that little bouncer in front of the plate yesterday was cat like and picking Cody Ross off of 1st was a big bonus.

Plus, the latin pitchers seem to like to throw to Hernandez. I still think that Hernandez is learning the staff and that the World Baseball Farce cost the Reds in that area.

Hanigan has been terrific in a backup position. It's tough to get him some playing time if Hernandez is hiting but I wouldn't worry about sending him out there for a few games as the summer drags on and Ramon needs a break. I really like how low Ryan gets behind the plate. He's so low he looks like a sand crab at low tide.

Give Walt credit for realizing he had to upgrade this position and he did something about it---jettisoned Ross, Bako and Javy, kept Hanigan and added Hernandez. Huge upgrade, IMO.

Rem

I don't know if you can have a better backup than Hanigan. What I mean is if you were gonna build a backup he would have to have certain qualities.

He's cheap
He's in his prime
He's a stud defender with a nice gun
He runs well
He's capable of going long stretches off and still isn't deficient offensively due to his patience (which does need to kick in a bit more but I believe it will).
And he already has a rapport with this staff and they trust him and work well with him.

Wish he had more raw power but I can't complain he's an asset.