PDA

View Full Version : Check out the main MLB page at ESPN....

_Sir_Charles_
05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
It's a story about pitchers who struggle with the stick in their hands. And the poster boy is.....*drumroll*..... Harangatang. :O) Yep, pretty fitting.

OnBaseMachine
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Aaron Harang, Reds (.088 BA, three extra-base hits in 365 AB)
Harang qualifies for this list by default. Dunn and Austin Kearns, who played with Harang in Cincinnati, recall that he took endless rounds of hitting in the cage. Harang has lots of different bats and gloves in his collection, and he genuinely strives to be good.

The only thing holding him back is a lack of talent. When a hitter can't get around on a fastball, scouts like to say he has a "slider-speed bat.'' In Harang's case, they might have to invent a new frame of reference.

"He swings underwater,'' Dunn said. "His bat is below [Tim] Wakefield's knuckler speed.''

No pitching staff in the majors has a more diverse collection of hitters than Cincinnati. Micah Owings has a .546 career slugging percentage, and Bronson Arroyo has four career homers. At the other end of the offensive spectrum you'll find Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez, who are a combined 10-for-125 (.080) in the majors.

While Dunn never tires of needling pitchers for their offensive shortcomings, he roots for Harang because of his former teammate's sincere efforts to improve. Dunn still recalls Harang's proudly chugging into second base after smoking a double off the Padres' David Wells several years ago.

"He was really digging himself,'' Dunn said. "In my opinion, he would rather go 3-for-3 than throw a complete-game shutout. He works so hard at it. I'm telling you, he's going to hit .350 one of these years. Watch out.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&page=starting9/090506

Scrap Irony
I wonder if you could chart how effective Harang must be in terms of pitching because of his impotent bat. Same with Cueto and Volquez (though they have helped themselves this year, at least).

Kind of like the Funhouse version of Micah Owings.

_Sir_Charles_
Thanks OBM. Beat me to it.

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2009, 01:04 PM
The poor guy (harang of course) would do a whole lot better if he wouldn't constantly step in the bucket. If he weren't such a good pitcher I'd pull my hair out (what I have left anyway) watching him swing the bat. But as it stands it doesn't bother me one Iota, it's all gravy when he gets one.

jmcclain19
05-06-2009, 01:39 PM
That's why the NL needs the DH.

Watching guys like Harang hit is awful - if I'm paying big bucks to watch the best play I don't want to watch guys flail about at the baseball like it's a pinata.

_Sir_Charles_
05-06-2009, 01:44 PM

BLASPHEMER! :O)

Nah, I like it the way it is. I like the strategy it brings into the game. Pinch hitters, IBB's, etc.

RedlegJake
05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
BLASPHEMER! :O)

Nah, I like it the way it is. I like the strategy it brings into the game. Pinch hitters, IBB's, etc.

Agreed! Double Blasphemer! :D jmmclain is a closet AL fan!

sonny
05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I would love to hit .088 in the majors. :thumbup:

MrCinatit
05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Pffft. I could hit less than .088 in a heart beat.

BoydsOfSummer
05-06-2009, 03:03 PM
He's gotten a lot better than he was even. When he first came over he was a pitiful sight at the plate. I've never seen a more over matched guy.

durl
05-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Watching guys like Harang hit is awful - if I'm paying big bucks to watch the best play I don't want to watch guys flail about at the baseball like it's a pinata.

NO league needs the DH. The whole idea needs to be abolished.

Pitchers at the plate is part of the game and influences strategy. Plus it keeps them honest in case they get too happy pegging a batter or three in the back.

Hoosier Red
05-06-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure if it was his first hit of the season, but it was his first season starting full time and he came up with a runner on 2nd and 2 outs, Marty had all but gotten up for the end of the inning and Harang hit a looper just over the infield and Marty wanted it to drop almost as bad as 4192 it was just hilarious to hear.

_Sir_Charles_
05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
He's gotten a lot better than he was even. When he first came over he was a pitiful sight at the plate. I've never seen a more over matched guy.

I agree. But that's also part of the charm. It gives the average guy a glimpse of what it would look like for US to face a big league pitcher. I'd be bailing out EVERY time. :O)

nate
05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Agreed! Double Blasphemer! :D jmmclain is a closet AL fan!

Freaking ALiens!

:cool:

_Sir_Charles_
05-06-2009, 03:11 PM
NO league needs the DH. The whole idea needs to be abolished.

Pitchers at the plate is part of the game and influences strategy. Plus it keeps them honest in case they get too happy pegging a batter or three in the back.

Bingo. I've never been a fan of a player only playing HALF of the game. That's what Football is for.

Rounding Third
05-06-2009, 03:53 PM
This is probably the only time Aaron Harang will be on anything ESPN

TheNext44
05-06-2009, 04:06 PM
This is probably the only time Aaron Harang will be on anything ESPN

A little bit off the subject, but relating to media coverage of non-AL East teams, I thought it was awesome last night when the MLB network started their Quick Pitch show (basically, their version of Baseball Tonight), with the Reds/Marlins game, and focused on the Reds pitching staff throwing 4 shutouts in 6 games.

And this was on a night when the Red Sox played the Yankees. I have no idea what ESPN lead with, but I would bet that it was the Sox/Yanks game. Nice to see the at least the MLB network giving the Reds some due attention.

MrCinatit
05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
A little bit off the subject, but relating to media coverage of non-AL East teams, I thought it was awesome last night when the MLB network started their Quick Pitch show (basically, their version of Baseball Tonight), with the Reds/Marlins game, and focused on the Reds pitching staff throwing 4 shutouts in 6 games.

And this was on a night when the Red Sox played the Yankees. I have no idea what ESPN lead with, but I would bet that it was the Sox/Yanks game. Nice to see the at least the MLB network giving the Reds some due attention.

When I flipped on Quick Pitch this morning, I missed the first few minutes. I didn't think it would be a big deal - figured the Reds would be buried at the end of the program.
Imagine my surprise when I found out (at the onset of the next hour) the Reds had lead off. That is why I love that channel.

westofyou
05-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Wrote this in January it still applies

Aaron Harang currently ranks as the worst hitting player in the history of the game if we set the bar at 375 plate appearances, if we drop it to 350 hes a hair behind Doug Davis. (ops plus -53 to -54)

Nevertheless hes mired in a reality that screams OUT!!!!

Aaron Harang is the reason the AL has the DH, hes pitiful striking out 44% of the time he comes to the dish and he has exactly 2 walks. Any manager who worries about Harang at the plate should be placed under immediate observation. Hes made an out 92.5% of the time hes approached the plate in major league baseball.

OPS OPS PA RB SO BB EBH
Aaron Harang .182 388 33 170 2 3
Dean Chance .183 759 79 420 30 2
Ben Sheets .196 492 51 204 18 3
Bob Buhl .220 952 116 389 38 2
Ron Kline .222 548 62 221 15 3
Al Benton .223 579 58 200 7 7
Ryan Dempster .224 434 42 154 8 8
Hank Aguirre .225 427 47 236 14 8
Jose DeLeon .226 490 56 171 16 2
Jim Deshaies .230 440 56 186 23 0

remdog
05-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I find it unimmaginable to think that anyone was a worse hitter than Hank Aguirre. His numbers may have been better than Harangs but Hank hit in an era when all pitchers batted. He was lucky to guess what end of the bat to hold. Fans gave him standing ovations for a foul tip, umpires had to explain the batter's box to him!

Of course, he was a Detroit Tiger so that explains a lot. :p:

Rem

jmcclain19
05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
You know all those AL teams - they never use pinch hitters, double switches or strategy.

My one year old looks more at home swinging a bat than most pitchers - real exciting entertainment.

TeamMorris
05-09-2009, 01:19 AM

That's a terrible idea, and I hope it never happens.

smith288
05-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Im amazed at how bad some pitchers are at hitting. Most of the time, they were typically the best talent on their high school or college teams but when they come to the majors, they look like a bag boy swinging at MLB pitching. I just cant wrap my head around it.

BCubb2003
05-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Im amazed at how bad some pitchers are at hitting. Most of the time, they were typically the best talent on their high school or college teams but when they come to the majors, they look like a bag boy swinging at MLB pitching. I just cant wrap my head around it.

Yes, it's like "I'm a pitcher now and have erased all memory of hitting a baseball."

westofyou
05-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Bill James theory is that as you progress in leagues that the pitchers talent for hitting always wanes, this takes hold as each player heightens their specialties and each league gets progressively harder challenging the player more and more thus leaving the pitcher to spend the majority of his career honing the skill that keeps him in the big leagues. So in essence hours of cage time for a hitter is translated into hours of pitching time and training for the pitcher, and there are just so many hours in a day on a baseball field.

RFS62
05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Hitting a baseball thrown by major league caliber pitchers is such a specialized, demanding and difficult skill. Even an athlete as mentally and physically strong as Michael Jorden found out the hard way just how tough it is.

The difference between the best high school pitcher Harang ever faced and the worst major league pitcher who had his way with him is enormous.

RFS62
05-09-2009, 09:02 PM
We have GOT to keep calling out our players on threads.

Harang obviously reads RedsZone.

RFS62
05-09-2009, 09:03 PM
OK, now we need a thread on pitchers baserunning.

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2009, 10:28 PM
That hit by Harang was huge tonight. Kudos to him on his birthday.