PDA

View Full Version : What do you think you could hit in the majors?

BuckeyeRed27
05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
There is an article on ESPN right now about the worst hitting pitchers in the league and our own Aaron Harang is featured (.088 life time hitter).

So my question is this. If you right now were given the opportunity to play as an every day major leaguer for an entire season what do you think you could hit? Assume that no matter how poorly you hit they would still run you out there.

reds1869
05-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I would hit the showers after I gave up. :)

Donder
05-06-2009, 05:14 PM

That's what, about 10 hits in a season? That's assuming I improve as the season progresses.

texasdave
05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
If Aaron Harang is .088 then I'd be on the Interstate, but definitely sub-Mendoza.

Kingspoint
05-06-2009, 05:52 PM
I would hit about .010.

xavr1
05-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Good question. It would take a long time before I got accustomed to seeing that kind of velocity, so I might not get my first "hit" (likely a lucky bloop) until a month or two in. I think I could maybe finish around .050. Definitely not as high as Harang.

redram
05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
.00000000001, then after I was beaned I would retire :-)

fewfirstchoice
05-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Im 29 and have played baseball all my life. I played 2 years at a junior college. But I still dont think I could do very well against a major league pitcher. I would say if I had 500 at bats I could probably get 20-25 hits maybe. Thats counting broken bat, infield, and lucky singles. I believe I could maybe get lucky and get 2 extra base hits. But I dont think I could do very well in the big leagues.

nineworldseries
05-06-2009, 06:37 PM

Kingspoint
05-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Im 29 and have played baseball all my life. I played 2 years at a junior college. But I still dont think I could do very well against a major league pitcher. I would say if I had 500 at bats I could probably get 20-25 hits maybe. Thats counting broken bat, infield, and lucky singles. I believe I could maybe get lucky and get 2 extra base hits. But I dont think I could do very well in the big leagues.

So, you're saying you're half as good as Harang (88 hits in 1000 at-bats, theoretically).

;)

RedLakerFan24
05-06-2009, 06:57 PM

Fon Duc Tow
05-06-2009, 07:13 PM
in 400 ABs I doubt I would get even one hit off of major league pitchng.

Heck, D-Ball gave me fits...haha

thorn
05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Do foul tips count? If so, about .025

lidspinner
05-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I actually took BP off a former reds pitcher, who will remain nameless. A former rolaids releif winner..LOL....I made contact on about 5 swings out of 50. He was helping out with the high school team and I help them out at times....I can honestly say that when you make solid contact, the velocity of the pitch makes it come off the bat harder than you think you swing...with that, I never got a hit...all foul balls and 1 of the 5 was pulled, the other 4 I was late and hit them oppo.....I also could not get used to the sting of a 93 mph fastball hitting off the handle of an aluminum bat. Hands stung for 15-20 minutes. So I will go out on a limb and say I could get 10 hits in 1000 at bats, all of them excuse me hits, throw in a few bunts and I might make it to 10 hits.

jfar23
05-06-2009, 07:44 PM
For the Cards probably around a .900 ops. Anywhere else .010

Cant Touch This
05-06-2009, 07:45 PM

I think you'd be surprised. Remember, there are 30 teams and about 12 pitchers per team, meaning there are 360 major league pitchers in service. They are not all throwing seeds like Josh Johnson and Johnny Cueto.

25 hits in 500 at-bats is batting .050. I think someone with your experience (which is somewhat similar to mine) would fare much better than .050. I've played with and against players at all professional levels and while they are (were) better players than I am, it wasn't as drastic a difference as you'd expect.

In fact, in the summer of 2005, I faced a major league pitcher. When I was living in Las Vegas, I played in an adult wooden bat league. Our opponent brought in a left hander named Vic Darensbourg. In his career, Vic had pitched maybe 260 innings over 7 years in the majors. He didn't get picked up in 2005 until later that summer when the Tigers signed him. So technically, he was a major leaguer in 2005 when I batted against him.

I had one plate appearance. And I am a left-handed batter. Darensbourg throws junk. I didn't see on fastball. On a 1-2 count, I reached out and knocked a curve ball over the shortstops head into left-center for a single.

So I can say I am batting 1.000 against major league pitching. :)

The point is, there are a lot of Vic Darensbourgs in the majors. My guess is I would hit at least .200 in the majors if given an entire season of at bats.

But I would commit an assload of errors.

gedred69
05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Ever stand within a foot of a baseball traveling 85-90 mph? I'd be cowering in the dugout...

LouisvilleCARDS
05-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I could barely even get a hit in grade school, I sucked bad. I would bat .000.

If I had a chance to bat against Jamie Moyer all year, I mgiht get a hit or two though.

Kingspoint
05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I could barely even get a hit in grade school, I sucked bad. I would bat .000.

If I had a chance to bat against Jamie Moyer all year, I mgiht get a hit or two though.

Yes. I'd be sitting on that 63 MPH change.

Captain Hook
05-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Ever stand within a foot of a baseball traveling 85-90 mph? I'd be cowering in the dugout...

I love going to the local batting cage.They have 1 stall that says that the pitches are 90 mph(right down the middle 90 mph every time).I know I can put about 5 out of 20 in play off that.Of the 5 I put into play 1 might actually be a hit.I'd love to say that this proves I could hold my own against big league pitching but considering the changing speeds and all the other junk these guys throw I'd probably be doing good to a hit every 100 ABs.

Actually, 1 batting practice season could end up sending me to the DL.That stuff kills my back these days.

carmack42
05-07-2009, 08:25 AM
It's not your batting average. It's your OBP, right? That said, I'd be more than happy to stand there and hope for a walk. Or pad up, lean in, and hope for a HBP. I'm a big dude, so it'd be hard to miss. But then, I'd be clogging up the bases.

I once saw Harang fake a bunt, then smack a blooper over the third baseman for a single. I thought that was the coolest play of the game.

REDSEER
05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I would like to think I could hover around .100- .150....I'm hitting pretty well right now (playing division III ball)

Actually faced a closer this year that touched the low 90's (6-3 putout)

Maybe I'm being a little too optimistic but I definitely think I could hit better than Harang

Ghosts of 1990
05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
.200, low .200's if I was playing every day, and if I was in the peak physical shape I was in during college ball. The instruction and repitition alone would help the ability you already have. I also played with guys who were probably better hitters then a few of the guys on the 25 man roster (guys that were drafted but did not make it to the majors for one reason or another)

nineworldseries
05-07-2009, 09:57 AM
The point is, there are a lot of Vic Darensbourgs in the majors. My guess is I would hit at least .200 in the majors if given an entire season of at bats.

But I would commit an assload of errors.

Many minor league players do not hit .200 in the majors upon their callup. The only way I would believe that you could get a hit in 1/5 at bats against major league pitching is if, currently, you are on a minor league roster somewhere, or playing for a major college team.

Otherwise, I would bet a large chunk of my net worth this would not happen.

(Maybe if you faced Bronson Arroyo every night)

bounty37h
05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
My freshmen year in high school I was on varsity-was the only underclassmen on the team, and my first at bat was against Brien Taylor, who a few months later was the #1 overall pick of the Yanks. Really never even saw the ball each pitch, 3 and down both at bats. I got to hit against a 5 season minor leaguer who pitched 2 games in the majors in college, and I hit him decent-was 2 for 5. Took batting practice against a former player another time and maybe hit 3 out of @ 25 pitches, but dont think any of them would have left the infield though legit.

Cant Touch This
05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Many minor league players do not hit .200 in the majors upon their callup. The only way I would believe that you could get a hit in 1/5 at bats against major league pitching is if, currently, you are on a minor league roster somewhere, or playing for a major college team.

Otherwise, I would bet a large chunk of my net worth this would not happen.

(Maybe if you faced Bronson Arroyo every night)

I understand your point, but I think you are over-estimating the all-around talent of your every-day minor league player.

Some players make The Show who aren't good hitters. They are brought up for their leather. What we are talking about here is pure hitting - nothing else.

Let's be realistic, I'm 38 years old and haven't played organized baseball in three years, so the current day me wouldn't touch .200 in the majors.

I would take your bet with the former me, though. I didn't play college ball. I just never had the build of a college athlete - too small. But I was a good hitter with a good eye. All contact, and no power. There are plenty of hitters like me, I'm nothing special. And I think all of them, if given a full season of regular at bats, along with daily practice against live pitching and/or the cage, could break the .200 mark.

Most advanced players will tell you that the reason MLB pitching is so tough to hit isn't necessarily the heat. Besides, most good hitters prefer fastballs.
It's that they are so damn good at changing speeds and keeping hitters guessing. And of course location. The pitchers who get rocked are the ones that miss their spots. Even the best pitchers miss their spots. Good hitters take advantage - even good hitters with no power.

I can tell you that I would have hit zero home runs. I wouldn't have even got lucky and hit one accidentally.

BSUFB
05-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I would not even swing. Just try and walk everytime up.

Ohioballplayer
05-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd say .100, because I cant hit left handed pitching, but seriously, after a few years of local pro ball way back when, I'd say .100, I only hit .255 locally, then gave up to play softball, lol.

BigRed
05-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Jefferson24
05-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I've hit off machines that throw in the 80's. I've also seen some pitching in high school that was in the 80's. As a 21 year old version of myself I could hit .100. But at 37 my bat speed is way to slow and my eyes aren't as sharp. I could maybe get a hit in 30 at bats, so .03.

bgwilly31
05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
For a FULL season.

That includes spring training. For just that Training!.

Had a half ride to Louisville to play first base. Didnt take it. :( If that gives you my expierence.

Now being 24 yrs old. Having not played organized baseball since i left highschool.

I think i could hit

.115 with 3-5 HR's.

Does anybody wanna sign me up!!! :beerme:

Bumstead
05-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Can you play SS??? :eek:

schmidty622
05-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I did hit 1.000 my junior year of HS. I was 1/1 in two plate appearances, the other resulting in a walk. I was an on base machine. I would have to think that trend would continue into the major leagues

NorrisHopper30
05-07-2009, 02:00 PM

Biff Pocoroba
05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
it depends. Would Janish be pitching?

Bumstead
05-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I did hit 1.000 my junior year of HS. I was 1/1 in two plate appearances, the other resulting in a walk. I was an on base machine. I would have to think that trend would continue into the major leagues

"on base machine"...is that the same as a "base clogger"??? :D

bounty37h
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
I'd say .100, because I cant hit left handed pitching, but seriously, after a few years of local pro ball way back when, I'd say .100, I only hit .255 locally, then gave up to play softball, lol.

Not calling out, what is local pro ball??? Is that what we call semi-pro ball, which is basically an advanced adult rec league team?

Ghosts of 1990
05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I mean I faced guys throwing 88-90 MPH a decent amount. You do adjust. Now that isn't 95 MPH and they didn't have several other good pitchers. But you're not facing a stud every night, either. Some guys pitching in the majors are like everywhere else, easy pickings. Doesn't matter if they're a big leaguer or not. Remember Tom Shearn? That guy would have gotten ripped by my college team on some days.

I faced several guys who played pro ball and got hits off several of them as well. It's a funny game. Guys who were nothing special I'd go 0 for 5 off of and guys who were very special I'd somehow have a 3 for 3 day against.

I still say if you have some ability, and you were a guy who's played in college and knew the game well and how to teach yourself to hit, and how to be coachable on how to hit and you had the instruction, the batting practice and you were in peak physical shape you would be able to find a way to hit .200 or near it. Which is still no good and considered terrible at that level.

bgwilly31
05-07-2009, 05:54 PM
I still say if you have some ability, and you were a guy who's played in college and knew the game well and how to teach yourself to hit, and how to be coachable on how to hit and you had the instruction, the batting practice and you were in peak physical shape you would be able to find a way to hit .200 or near it. Which is still no good and considered terrible at that level.

Oh i think i would improve over the years if i was able to stay in the lineup sure. Might be able to creep up to .170 or so.

I think you also have to remember the junk.

Getting prepared to hit a 95+mph fastball. Is one thing. But then being able to stay back and hit and a 87mph curve that drops of the table, and a 82mph change is a complete other thing.

Basically being able to hit the fastball is the easy part.

Adjusting from that to the rest is the key.

mlh1981
05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I would be too tempted to swing at just about every pitch.

I would probably start my swing as soon as the pitcher reared his arm back, close my eyes, and pray.

Probably about .050

Zimmers
05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Well Ive picked up a few hits and one homer off Travis Blackley, (San fran number 5)??does that count. I play against him every year and do well. So I'd say .300 with 50-60 Bombs!lol

Shawn_RedsFan
05-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I would probably start my swing as soon as the pitcher reared his arm back, close my eyes, and pray.

That would be my approach to every at bat :thumbup:

Ohioballplayer
05-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Yes bounty and i admit I sucked softball was more my game, ask me one day how DAVE PARKER TURNED MY FINGERS BLACK, BLUE AND PURPLE, AND PROBABLY RED, LOL

Sean_CaseyRules
05-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I could hit around .150 i think right now. Maybe better in a few years.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 12:33 PM
.346 BA/23 HR/128 RBI

Kidding people.. I'd probably get a few hits in before they realized all they'd have to do is throw the old Uncle Charlie in the dirt to get me out.

ChatterRed
05-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I have high expectations for myself. Anything short of .400 would be a disaster.

Driver62
05-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Since I hit around .200 in high school, I would say .000.