PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Micah Owings Should be the Starting LF" Thread

Benihana
05-07-2009, 09:45 PM
He is probably one of the five best hitters on the team.
He is probably not one of the five best pitchers on the team.
The results speak for themselves.

I'm officially in favor of installing him as the everyday LF until he proves that he can't handle it (be it defensively or otherwise.) He can also pitch in long relief situations if need be. Bring up Maloney or give Masset a shot in the rotation until Homer proves he's ready. At this point, the Reds need Micah Owings' bat in the lineup everyday.

If the experiment fails, Owings can always return to the rotation once EdE comes back. But let this be the official thread calling for Micah Owings to be in the lineup everyday going forward, at least for the next couple weeks.

Gainesville Red
05-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I think if I had to give it to someone, I'd rather give it to Nix than Owings.

Benihana
05-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I think if I had to give it to someone, I'd rather give it to Nix than Owings.

Even better- they can platoon, which would allow Owings to be available to work on his pitching more often.

Hap
05-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Why would you assume a guy could play in a major league outfield when he has never ever played outfield in the majors or the minors?

Redhook
05-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Nix in CF. Everyday.

Platoon Dickerson and Owings in left. That would be nice.

Hap
05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Nix in CF. Everyday.

Why would you put a slow white dude in center when you just gave a free agent contract to the fastest black centerfielder dude in the majors?

Redhook
05-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Why would you put a slow white dude in center when you just gave a free agent contract to the fastest black centerfielder dude in the majors?

Is the Teh Dusty talking?

Benihana
05-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Why would you assume a guy could play in a major league outfield when he has never ever played outfield in the majors or the minors?

Some guy named Rick Ankiel was able to make the transition. Hey, if Janish can pitch, why can't Owings play LF? :cool:

I'm not saying it would work for sure, I just think it's worth a shot at this point. What's the worst that could happen? Owings appears to be pitching himself out of the rotation anyway...

Hap
05-07-2009, 11:23 PM
You just proved my point. Ankiel spent all of 2005 and most of 2007 (was injured in 2006) learning to play the outfield and learning to bat every day. He did not make the transition in the first week of May.

Benihana
05-07-2009, 11:24 PM
You just proved my point. Ankiel spent all of 2005 and most of 2007 (was injured in 2006) learning to play the outfield and learning to bat every day. He did not make the transition in the first week of May.

Like I said, would be worth a shot IMO. Platooning Owings with Nix would surely beat the production coming out of that spot currently.

Cyclone792
05-07-2009, 11:31 PM
I want Owings to remain in the rotation because every day he pitches it's as if the Reds have a DH in the lineup rather than a pitcher. That's a massive advantage for National League ball.

He's not going to be Harang on the mound, but he's not Josh Fogg either. Most of his games will be like tonight where he doesn't pitch all that well but he also doesn't pitch so poorly that he prevents us from winning. Decent starts from Owings plus his impact with the bat will give the Reds a pretty good chance to pick up wins during games he starts, just like tonight's game.

Not to mention, this is a type of switch that would need to occur over an offseason at the minimum, not during the season. This isn't like moving guys around the infield or outfield. I'm not opposed to spot innings for Owings in left - I do think he needs to get more plate appearances than he'll likely get - but any type of transition greater than that is best suited to begin during an offseason.

The Reds do have nine games in AL parks this season, and it would be nice to see Owings DH six or seven of those games. Most likely he'll only get a few DH starts though, if any at all.

Hap
05-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Like I said, why would you put a guy in left field who has never, ever played there? Why don't we trade for Austin Kearns and see if he can play shortstop?

HokieRed
05-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Going into tonight this was Nix's line: .353/.405/.676/ 1.081. He got another double tonight, which means he now has 9 extra base hits in 38 at-bats. He deserves to play every day in LF for a while. We may have the solution to that position in-house.

mth123
05-07-2009, 11:42 PM
I want Owings to remain in the rotation because every day he pitches it's as if the Reds have a DH in the lineup rather than a pitcher. That's a massive advantage for National League ball.

He's not going to be Harang on the mound, but he's not Josh Fogg either. Most of his games will be like tonight where he doesn't pitch all that well but he also doesn't pitch so poorly that he prevents us from winning. Decent starts from Owings plus his impact with the bat will give the Reds a pretty good chance to pick up wins during games he starts, just like tonight's game.

Not to mention, this is a type of switch that would need to occur over an offseason at the minimum, not during the season. This isn't like moving guys around the infield or outfield. I'm not opposed to spot innings for Owings in left - I do think he needs to get more plate appearances than he'll likely get - but any type of transition greater than that is best suited to begin during an offseason.

The Reds do have nine games in AL parks this season, and it would be nice to see Owings DH six or seven of those games. Most likely he'll only get a few DH starts though, if any at all.

Yep.

Degenerate39
05-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't think Owings can play full time and do as well offensively as he does now

Homer Bailey
05-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't think Owings can play full time and do as well offensively as he does now

I hear what you're saying, and somewhat agree with you, but Owings has proven at every level that he is a very, very legit hitter. I think .290/.350/.500 is very attainable if he played consistently. The defense though, who knows.

traderumor
05-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I think Owings will have to resolve stepping in the bucket before he is anointed the fifth best hitter on the team.

WVPacman
05-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Starting Owings in left field would be stupid imo! and I still don't have a clue why Dusty isn't playing Nix every game in left.The guy is knocking the cover off the ball yet Dickerson gets 80% of the playing time when he is stinking up the joint.

NIX MUST PLAY EVERYDAY!!!!:beerme:

Razor Shines
05-08-2009, 01:24 AM

I agree with this.

The question I have is: Do you think that Dusty will use a DH during the games that Owings pitches in AL parks? I wouldn't be surprised either way. And only because of the line of reasoning that used to justify not hitting Owings any higher than 9th when he pitches. But he does use him a pinch hitter so like I said I wouldn't be surprised either way.

WVRedsFan
05-08-2009, 02:43 AM
Not going to happen with this franchise. Never. And I somewhat agree. Owings has shown me that he has the stuff to be a good starting pitcher. He should have allowed one run tonight. You cannot give that up (remember other 5th starters Fogg, Belisle, and No. 1 starter Haynes before you answer) for a bat. Let him hit as a pitcher.

Of course, Dusty got a wild hair (out of necessity) tonight and it worked. Maybe he'll be more adventurous in the future (don't hold your breath).

LoganBuck
05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
I like that Owings can hit, even when his pitching arm is out of gas, and then Dusty can take him out. The roster was short last night, with three players out with injury and illness. Owings' hitting ability allows the manager to save a pinch hitter, as it did last night in the sixth. It has been speculated that, Dusty would use him like that. It certainly does work nicely.

bucksfan2
05-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Some guy named Rick Ankiel was able to make the transition. Hey, if Janish can pitch, why can't Owings play LF? :cool:

I'm not saying it would work for sure, I just think it's worth a shot at this point. What's the worst that could happen? Owings appears to be pitching himself out of the rotation anyway...

How long did it take Ankiel to make that conversion? IIRC it took him a couple of years in the minor leagues in order to learn how to play a major league outfield position. Just because Owings an hit doesn't automatically mean he can defensively play LF.

Chip R
05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I like that Owings can hit, even when his pitching arm is out of gas, and then Dusty can take him out. The roster was short last night, with three players out with injury and illness. Owings' hitting ability allows the manager to save a pinch hitter, as it did last night in the sixth. It has been speculated that, Dusty would use him like that. It certainly does work nicely.

It does but it's a double edged sword. If it had been most any other pitcher last night, Dusty would have got him in the 6th. But he kept him in there because he was leading off the next inning. It worked out O.K. that time but the next time, Micah - and Dusty - may not be so fortunate.

Tommyjohn25
05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I think Owings will have to resolve stepping in the bucket before he is anointed the fifth best hitter on the team.

This. I was just talking about that last night while watching him hit. I have no earthly idea how he still can reach an outside pitch stepping the way he does. I can't argue with the results though.

dfs
05-08-2009, 11:01 AM
The question I have is: Do you think that Dusty will use a DH during the games that Owings pitches in AL parks? I wouldn't be surprised either way.

IIRC you can use the DH to cover any position. It doesn't have to be the pitcher's slot that gets the DH. I think that's correct.

Just setting the wheels in motion. If the bench was deep enough. They could start Janish at SS and have somebody DH for him. Let Owings bat three times and cover the pitcher's last appearance with a pinch hitter.

Corrections welcome.

Chip R
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
IIRC you can use the DH to cover any position. It doesn't have to be the pitcher's slot that gets the DH. I think that's correct.

Just setting the wheels in motion. If the bench was deep enough. They could start Janish at SS and have somebody DH for him. Let Owings bat three times and cover the pitcher's last appearance with a pinch hitter.

Corrections welcome.

You can only use the DH for the pitcher.

I don't see Dusty using Owings as a DH. He would think it might upset a bench player.

membengal
05-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Where's the official-things-are-just-fine-like-they-are-with-Owings thread?

Homer Bailey
05-08-2009, 11:09 AM

I don't see Dusty using Owings as a DH. He would think it might upset a bench player.

More than it would upset them if they pinch hit Owings over them? Are we really worried if Darnell McDonald gets upset? It's not insulting at all to have Owings hit in place of you. He's not just a pitcher. The guy can flat out rake and everyone on the team knows that.

Having said that, I could totally see Dusty doing it, because more about being a players manager than putting the best team out there.

BRM
05-08-2009, 11:26 AM

The Cubs announcers talked about this when the Reds played them a while back. They said there is no way Dusty, or any manager for that matter, would use Owings as a DH during interleague play. It would be viewed as a slap in the face to the regular position players.

membengal
05-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't care whose face is getting slapped, I want the .900+ OPS bat in the line-up as a DH.

BRM
05-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't care whose face is getting slapped, I want the .900+ OPS bat in the line-up as a DH.

I agree. Just telling you what the Cub announcers said. And I think they are right in that most managers wouldn't use Owings as a DH.

osuceltic
05-08-2009, 11:55 AM

And this is why it's so much easier managing from your keyboard.

membengal
05-08-2009, 12:06 PM
And that's why it's so much easier being snarky from yours.

BearcatShane
05-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't know about this. He really has no plate dicipline in the 10 or so at bats I'v seen from him so far. He goes up there hackin' and if he got 250-300 at bats a year I think he would have some struggles. But every fifth day and as a pich hitter, he's pretty good.

redsmetz
05-12-2009, 07:01 AM
From yesterday's Arizona Republic:

Early in spring training, Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker thought he might have stumbled onto a hitting phenom.

"I went to the cage and saw somebody hitting, and said he's got a good stroke for a minor-leaguer," he said. "I thought it was a minor-league guy . . . .

"I was like, 'Man, that kid's got a pretty good stroke. Who is that big ol' kid?' "

Turned out the big ol' kid was pitcher Micah Owings, who was in forbidden territory. Pitchers were not supposed to be hitting yet - then again, not many pitchers can hit the way Owings can, and he figured the quicker he started the better.

"He said, 'I know, skip, I'm not supposed to be here,' . . . I said, 'Go, hit, take care of yourself.' "

Good advice.

Owings, who will start Tuesday night against his former team, captivated Diamondbacks fans the past couple of seasons with his hitting ability. And he's doing the same thing this season with Cincinnati. On Sunday he clubbed a two-out, pinch-hit home run to tie the score against the St. Louis Cardinals in the ninth inning.

"It was crazy, it was crazy," said Owings (2-3), who is batting .333 with five of his six hits for extra bases. "Just to have that opportunity to hit in that situation in the ninth with two outs . . . I'm fortunate that Dusty gave me that opportunity and fought hard just to keep the inning alive."

Outfielder Jay Bruce, who leads the team with 10 home runs, is impressed with Owings' offensive ability.

"He's got as much pop as anybody on our team," he said. "He's fun to watch, a good dynamic to have on our team, an extra bat."

Baker talked with Owings about being more selective at the plate, to show more patience and think more like hitter, saying that was the first time he had that type of discussion with a pitcher.

Owings couldn't predict how it would feel to pitch against the Diamondbacks, nor is it something that causes him concern.

"My main thing is to go out and do the best that I can each pitch, execute, keep my team in the game as long as I can, and remember to have fun with it," he said "That's what got me here, stick with my guns, but set my feelings aside and do what I've got to do."

Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, when he was director of player development, oversaw Owings' rise through the minors.

"He's a good guy, somebody that's left his thumbprint on this organization," Hinch said. "I wish him well on most nights, just not (Tuesday)."

Baker frequently is asked if he would consider playing Owings in the field.

"I'd have to see him play first . . . my wife even asked me, 'Have you ever thought about starting him in left field?' "

smith288
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Micah steps in the bucket worse than Harang. Micah has the ability to overcome it with a strong, quick swing but eventually, pitching staffs will take him alot more seriously and make him look silly with constant outside offspeed stuff.

Not saying Micah couldnt handle it or make adjustments but he seems to be successful based on natural talent than constant cage work combined with pitchers who think #9 hitter is an out and pump too many fastballs down the heart or miss inside.

If you watch his homer against the Cards, he stepped towards 3rd when he swung but the ball was inner half so it wasnt that big of a deal. Nice swing but that if that ball is on the outter half, forget it.

RANDY IN INDY
05-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Watch what would happen after the advanced scouts started getting a look at him on a regular basis, and the other pitchers started exposing the weaknesses. That's when you find out what kind of hitter you are.

lollipopcurve
05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Putting a pitcher in the OF is jeopardizing his arm. Bad idea.

Plus, he'd likely be awful out there.