PDA

View Full Version : Who gives up an earned run first?

Danny Serafini
05-07-2009, 11:15 PM
At the risk of jinxing them, it's crazy that we can ask this question a week into May.

AmarilloRed
05-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm always willing to vote for Stormy Weathers. He'll usually do the job, but he'll make you nervous while he is doing it.

Razor Shines
05-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Wow, no love for Weathers. What a bunch of haters.

Homer Bailey
05-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Because the "Reds lead the league in ERA" thread worked so well....... awesome.

bucksfan2
05-08-2009, 09:47 AM
David Weathers may be the most continuously underrated Red of my lifetime.

LincolnparkRed
05-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Might be.
Think of the guys that have performed with him that are no longer reds. Standridge, Ricky Stone, Allan Simpson. Ben Weber, Randy Keisler (these are just from 2005). Makes David look pretty good. His ERA was never above 4 as a Red.

cumberlandreds
05-08-2009, 02:16 PM

I agree with you. I have never understood the near hatred by some for him. He's basically done what he was supposed to do. Sure he's had some bad games but not as many as most other setup men that have come through here. I wasn't too keen on him when first came here,for the second time. But the longer he did his job and did it well I came to like him. I like his bulldog atitude on the mound too. He's one of the few,maybe only, Reds pitcher who will knock someone off the plate when its needed.

westofyou
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Yep, he's .66 better than the league in ERA since he became a Red, he's the Pedro Borbon of this decade, he just eats fewer innings. Valuable player, completely unsexy as a pitcher, that's part of the problem I'd say.

durl
05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Yep, he's .66 better than the league in ERA since he became a Red, he's the Pedro Borbon of this decade, he just eats fewer innings. Valuable player, completely unsexy as a pitcher, that's part of the problem I'd say.

Great stat.

It just goes to show you that impressions can be completely baseless. Look at what the guy has done, not what you THINK he's done or what you expect him to do. He's simply gotten the job done.

Joseph
05-08-2009, 02:41 PM
I think there are still a few who harbor memories of his first stint as a Red. That feeling overwhelms the current production for whatever reason.

rotnoid
05-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I voted Weathers only because I think he'll get more appearances and is more likely to work multiple innings. It's got nothing to do with hating for me, just opportunity. Both have been impressive, and I'd be just fine if neither gave up an earned run all year.

medford
05-08-2009, 04:08 PM
what retnoid said, mainly because I think they're more likely to let Stormy battle out of an inning, while if Rhodes gets into trouble w/ a righty coming up, they'll bring in Stormy, Cordero or another righty to finish out the inning.

Homer Bailey
05-08-2009, 04:12 PM
what retnoid said, mainly because I think they're more likely to let Stormy battle out of an inning, while if Rhodes gets into trouble w/ a righty coming up, they'll bring in Stormy, Cordero or another righty to finish out the inning.

In that case, the earned run would still go to Rhodes.

dougdirt
05-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Might be.
Think of the guys that have performed with him that are no longer reds. Standridge, Ricky Stone, Allan Simpson. Ben Weber, Randy Keisler (these are just from 2005). Makes David look pretty good. His ERA was never above 4 as a Red.

Randy Keisler will always have a soft spot in my heart though. 14th inning walk off bases loaded single on Ken Griffey Jr bobblehead night.

mbgrayson
05-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Weathers gives up three tonight vs. the Cards....so far.

I was wrong...

Degenerate39
05-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I guess it's Weathers

11larkin11
05-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Jinx!

GAC
05-08-2009, 10:42 PM
That took one pitch! :lol:

Degenerate39
05-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Hurry and close this thread!

CarolinaRedleg
05-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I figured it would be Stormy because of his tightrope-walking tendencies. Didn't see it coming this way.

dougdirt
05-08-2009, 11:03 PM
If Weathers is going to give up runs in a game, it may as well be one in which he was a 5 run lead.... gotta look at the bright side lol.

jojo
05-08-2009, 11:10 PM
If Weathers is going to give up runs in a game, it may as well be one in which he was a 5 run lead.... gotta look at the bright side lol.

I have no idea why the Reds consider him a high leverage arm.

dougdirt
05-08-2009, 11:19 PM

That makes two of us... but the Reds do. And if he is going to come in and give up a few runs, I am glad it came in a game that we had a 5 run lead and ultimately won.

Homer Bailey
05-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Because the "Reds lead the league in ERA" thread worked so well....... awesome.

Can we officially make this the end of the jinxing threads? Almost like someone saw this coming.....:rolleyes:

WVRedsFan
05-09-2009, 12:50 AM
It was obvious that Weathers was due for a meltdown. He always teeters on the edge of disaster and sometimes he just doesn't get out of the problem he's in.

Jinx? Maybe, but this was going to happen sooner or later to him.

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2009, 02:02 AM

High leverage or not...he's at least been getting the job done (so far) this year.

The Baumer
05-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Can I still vote for Rhodes?

*BaseClogger*
05-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Can we officially make this the end of the jinxing threads? Almost like someone saw this coming.....:rolleyes:

Too bad the offense threads aren't working as a jinx... :(

GAC
05-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Here we have a thread, going into the 29th game of the season, where two of our BP guys has yet to give up an ER. I'm simply impressed that these two old guys, over some of the younger ones, were the ones to put up such a stretch. Quite impressed.

And the streak continues for Rhodes too.

Razor Shines
05-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Oh grow up. I'm going to start a "How Long Until One of Our Starting Pitchers Goes on the DL?" thread. Just for fun.

RFS62
05-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Here we have a thread, going into the 29th game of the season, where two of our BP guys has yet to give up an ER. I'm simply impressed that these two old guys, over some of the younger ones, were the ones to put up such a stretch. Quite impressed.

And the streak continues for Rhodes too.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's not like the winner of this poll has been deemed to suck, after all.

They both did an outstanding job, until last night.