PDA

View Full Version : Two Past MLB Figures Pass

cumberlandreds
05-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Two former MLB figures have passed a way in the last couple of days. Early this morning Dom DiMaggio died at age 92. He was the brother of Joe D and a very good player in his own right.

The other death was Danny Ozark. He was the manager of the Phillies in the mid to late 70's. The Phillies were very good during that period and he help lay the framework for their 1980 championship.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvAtkJpgnwHDzgmO4TUJR9o5nYcB?slug=ap-obit-domdimaggio&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-obit-ozark&prov=ap&type=lgns

westofyou
05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Dom was a great player and from what I can understand a great man as well. Danny was a longtime baseball figure aside form the Phillies

George Anderson
05-08-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm half way thru the book "Joe Dimaggio, A Hero's Life" and it has alot of good stuff about the three Dimaggio brothers and their relationship.

I really had no idea that Joe was as awkward or aloof as he was.

westofyou
05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm half way thru the book "Joe Dimaggio, A Hero's Life" and it has alot of good stuff about the three Dimaggio brothers and their relationship.

I'm reading that.. 100 pages in or so good book.

Teammates by Halberstam is a must read for the Dom DiMaggio look.

cumberlandreds
05-08-2009, 09:52 AM

Joe was very aloof. Borderline creepy. I read a biography well over 20 years ago and didn't know much about him then either. I can remember being kinda surprised at how he was. He didn't really present that persona doing his Mr. Coffee ads.

RichRed
05-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Danny was a longtime baseball figure aside form the Phillies

Including being a coach for the old Koufax/Drysdale Dodger teams. (I'm reading a Koufax biography now.)

RIP, Danny and Dom.

George Anderson
05-08-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm reading that.. 100 pages in or so good book.

Teammates by Halberstam is a must read for the Dom DiMaggio look.

Thats scary....I am about the same.

I just finished the chapter about the streak and the birth of Joe Jr.

Joe was no Saint.

George Anderson
05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Joe was very aloof. Borderline creepy. I read a biography well over 20 years ago and didn't know much about him then either. I can remember being kinda surprised at how he was. He didn't really present that persona doing his Mr. Coffee ads.

Good way to describe him.

I think it was in the movie "61" that gave the impression of Joe being very aloof or borderline creepy. At the time I thought the movie was overexaggerating Joe's personality but according to the book it was spot on.

MrCinatit
05-08-2009, 03:24 PM
When Rose went to the Phillies, I became an instant Phillies fan. I always had a soft heart for Ozark. It also could be argued that it was his team that won the 1980 Series, not Green.

I remember there were a few for a time who argued vehemently that Dom DiMaggio was HOF worthy. There were some who said he was also a better fielder than Joe (great quote: "Joe was the best hitter, Dom was the best fielder, Vince was the best singer").

And, on books about the DiMaggios: Ages ago, I read a book called Where Have You Gone, Vince DiMaggio?, which the post-baseball lives of many former players. It was a rather good read which I need to track down again (Bernie Carbo as a hair stylist? Hm!).

westofyou
05-08-2009, 03:27 PM
And, on books about the DiMaggios: Ages ago, I read a book called Where Have You Gone, Vince DiMaggio?, which the post-baseball lives of many former players. It was a rather good read which I need to track down again (Bernie Carbo as a hair stylist? Hm!).

I have that, the interviewer lobs mostly softball questions at the players, as players recanting stories go I'd recommend chasing down Dan Peary's book, "when we played" (IRCC.. it's upstairs currently, not in my office)

Chip R
05-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Dom's got a pretty good case for the HOF.

mth123
05-08-2009, 07:43 PM

"Better than his brother Joe, Dominic Dimaggio"

RIP

RedsBaron
05-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Dom DiMaggio died yesterday, age 92. He was overshadowed during his career by his older brother Joe and his teammate Ted Williams. While he was not nearly as good a player as either of those Hall of Famers, from everything I've read he was much the nicer person, a good family man, and had a very sucessful post-baseball career.
Called "The Little Professor" because of his height (5'9"), the fact he wore glasses, and that he was relatively "bookish," Dom was a very successful businessman and stock market invester following his playing days.
Ted Williams used to promote Dom DiMaggio for the Hall of Fame. Even after making allowances for the three prime years of his career that Dom missed because of military service in World War II he still falls short of that standard for me, but he was a very good player. Bill James has found that during most seasons in which they both played, Dom was actually the better centerfielder (fielding only) than was big brother Joe.
David Halberstam's "The Teammates" was about the relationships among Johnny Pesky, Bobby Doerr, Ted Williams and Dom DiMaggio, particularly at the time of Ted's death. It is a good read.
R.I.P.

redsmetz
05-09-2009, 08:43 AM
When we talking about Bill Werbers dying earlier this year, I remember being surprised that DiMaggio was still alive. I know I've said this before, but my sister-in-law's uncle, Tommy Umphlett took DiMaggio's place in 1953, had a good rookie season and then was traded to the Senators the next year.

Caveat Emperor
05-10-2009, 04:11 AM

In the previously mentioned book "Teammates" -- it's noted that Ted Williams lobbied hard for Dom DiMaggio to be included in the HOF. The number certainly warrant heavy consideration, and Williams is on record as saying that his favorite thing to yell in the outfield was "That's your ball, Dommy!"

MrCinatit
05-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Let us not forget Dom lost three years of his prime to World War II.

chicoruiz
05-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Danny Ozark was also known for the occasional Jerry Coleman-ish malapropism. As I recall, he was asked during a losing streak if the Phillies morale was bad, and he answered, "I don't think their morality is the problem".