View Full Version : Bronson Arroyo Home vs. Road 2009

membengal
05-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Feast your eyes:

Road starts:

4/14 at Milwaukee---6 1/3 innings 1 run 4 hits 4 walks 3 Ks

4/20 at Houston---7 innings 3 runs 9 hits 0 walks 2 Ks

5/1 at Pittsburgh---8 innings 0 runs 4 hits 3 walks 4 Ks

That's 21 1/3 road innings with four runs allowed.

Home starts:

4/9 NY Mets --- 6 innings 5 runs 8 hits 2 walks 4 Ks

4/25 Atlanta---5 2/3 innings 9 runs 9 hits 3 walks 5 Ks

5/6 Milwaukee---1+ inning 9 runs 9 hits 3 walks 0 Ks

That's 12 2/3 home innings with 23 runs allowed.

While he hasn't necessarily been a world-beater on the road, he has been more than just serviceable, keeping the team in games and giving them a chance to win. At home so far this year? Not so much. The Reds overcame the 4/9 start thanks to facing Ollie Perez, but the other two, no chance.

I have no idea why it is skewed for him to start 2009, but perhaps he should go stay in a hotel room in downtown Cincy or something before his next home start.

Falls City Beer
05-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Can Arroyo keep the judy-est lineup in the majors in check tomorrow night in Arizona? Will he escape the first with a single-digit runs-allowed tally? Stay tuned.

kpresidente
05-10-2009, 08:37 PM
While he hasn't necessarily been a world-beater on the road, he has been more than just serviceable, keeping the team in games and giving them a chance to win. At home so far this year? Not so much. The Reds overcame the 4/9 start thanks to facing Ollie Perez, but the other two, no chance.

1.69 ERA is serviceable?

GAC
05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
In three years, Arroyo has had two starts at Chase Field where he posted an 0-1 record, 15 hits/13 innings, 5 ERs, and a very respectable 3.46 ERA.

2006.... L 3-1, 6 IP, 11 hits, 3 ERs.

2007.... No decision, 7 IP, 4 hits, 2 ERs,

I bet you'll see more of the same out of him tomorrow night.

membengal
05-10-2009, 09:27 PM
1.69 ERA is serviceable?

I said:

he has been MORE than just serviceable...

Falls City Beer
05-10-2009, 10:04 PM
In three years, Arroyo has had two starts at Chase Field where he posted an 0-1 record, 15 hits/13 innings, 5 ERs, and a very respectable 3.46 ERA.

2006.... L 3-1, 6 IP, 11 hits, 3 ERs.

2007.... No decision, 7 IP, 4 hits, 2 ERs,

I bet you'll see more of the same out of him tomorrow night.

If he can't do it there against that offense, he might as well hang up the spikes, quite honestly.

Topcat
05-11-2009, 03:18 AM
Feast your eyes:

Road starts:

Home starts:

I have no idea why it is skewed for him to start 2009, but perhaps he should go stay in a hotel room in downtown Cincy or something before his next home start.

Actually i would say he has been a world beater on the road ya know lol

remdog
05-12-2009, 06:23 AM

First question: who's to say he isn't staying in a hotel room in Cincinnati, just not alone?

Second question: did he bring his boat up from Florida (with accompaning accessories)?

Either of those scenarios could explain the home/road difference. :)

Rem

Hollcat
05-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Didn't he have some extreme Daygame/ Nightgame splits last year or the year before?

rotnoid
05-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Didn't he have some extreme Daygame/ Nightgame splits last year or the year before?

Good point. He's typically not been a very good day game pitcher, at least antecdotally. I also wonder about home run rates home vs road. I don't have the time to look it up, but wonder if that might play into it. Not that I'm trying to blame GABP.

RichRed
05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Not so much related to home vs. road but I found it interesting:

Bronson Arroyo - 5-2, 7.02 ERA

Dan Haren - 3-4, 2.09 ERA

Yet another example to show how misleading W/L records can be.

osuceltic
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Not so much related to home vs. road but I found it interesting:

Bronson Arroyo - 5-2, 7.02 ERA

Dan Haren - 3-4, 2.09 ERA

Yet another example to show how misleading W/L records can be.

Arroyo's season has been interesting. Take away the two disasters, and he has been really good. So that 7.02 ERA, while not exactly misleading, certainly doesn't tell the whole tale. I generally feel Arroyo will give the team a good chance to win in four of every five starts. That fifth one can get really ugly, though. It also skews his stats. In fact, I'd argue that in this case, his W-L record is more reflective of his performance to date than his ERA.

nate
05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Arroyo's season has been interesting. Take away the two disasters, and he has been really good. So that 7.02 ERA, while not exactly misleading, certainly doesn't tell the whole tail. I generally feel Arroyo will give the team a good chance to win in four of every five starts. That fifth one can get really ugly, though. It also skews his stats. In fact, I'd argue that in this case, his W-L record is more reflective of his performance to date than his ERA.

I dunno, I think he's pitched three good games, two "veh" games and two stinkers. Based on his average run support, his record could just as easily be 4-3 or 3-4. That ERA may be a bit high but he earned every bit of it.

Az Red
05-13-2009, 01:21 PM
No more guitar playing. Less carpal tunnell pain. Better pitcher.

rotnoid
05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Good point. He's typically not been a very good day game pitcher, at least antecdotally. I also wonder about home run rates home vs road. I don't have the time to look it up, but wonder if that might play into it. Not that I'm trying to blame GABP.

So much for that. Nothing too out of line there.

Split G HR
Home 3 4
Away 4 6

mth123
05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Arroyo's season has been interesting. Take away the two disasters, and he has been really good. So that 7.02 ERA, while not exactly misleading, certainly doesn't tell the whole tale. I generally feel Arroyo will give the team a good chance to win in four of every five starts. That fifth one can get really ugly, though. It also skews his stats. In fact, I'd argue that in this case, his W-L record is more reflective of his performance to date than his ERA.

I agree with this. Fantasy Baseball - Arroyo is a stay away no brainer. Real baseball - he gives his team a chance to win a lot of games, which is really the point.