PDA

View Full Version : Freel traded to Cubs

Eric_the_Red
05-08-2009, 06:24 PM
The Orioles traded Ryan Freel to the Cubs for Joey Gathright. No word on a player to be named later for Farney.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for Freel to be moved. He was making it very clear that he wasn't happy in Baltimore. I'd like to wish him the best because of his service as a Red, but it's hard to do so when his new team is the Cubs.

George Foster
05-10-2009, 01:53 AM
that brick wall in chicago will not be kind to Freel.

Captain Hook
05-10-2009, 02:38 AM
that brick wall in chicago will not be kind to Freel.

:bang:

It will be nice to get to see Freel play again.Too bad its with the hated Cubs.

DoubleA_Ron
05-10-2009, 02:39 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for Freel to be moved. He was making it very clear that he wasn't happy in Baltimore. I'd like to wish him the best because of his service as a Red, but it's hard to do so when his new team is the Cubs.

I grew up in the Maryland area and still read the Baltimore paper online when I can. Every report seemed to be that he was incredibly unhappy with his role as an Oriole,. I've always liked Freel, and although he was never a good fit in charm city, I think his winning was semi unjustified. He still seemed to be getting a decent chunk of playing time, and wonder how much that will change in Chicago.

PedroBourbon
05-10-2009, 10:40 AM
He still seemed to be getting a decent chunk of playing time, and wonder how much that will change in Chicago.

He's listed as 3rd string LF/CF and 4th string 2B on the Cubs official roster. I think this translates into PH/PR late in the game. I always liked him, I think he will get even less playing time on the Cubs rosters.

captainmorgan07
05-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I grew up in the Maryland area and still read the Baltimore paper online when I can. Every report seemed to be that he was incredibly unhappy with his role as an Oriole,. I've always liked Freel, and although he was never a good fit in charm city, I think his winning was semi unjustified. He still seemed to be getting a decent chunk of playing time, and wonder how much that will change in Chicago.

When has he ever been happy with his pt. He's a good supersub but he just can't seem to realize that. When he becomes and everday player his numbers go down dramatically.

BIGGIN
05-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Well I love seeing someone play with the heart Freel plays with and wish him the best with the Cubs, but he is not ever going to be the first choice for many teams. He just don't have the bat or the smarts for that matter. Yeah I know I am not in the majors and it is hard to say that about a major leaguer but the guy plays the game on heart and not smarts. Like I said I was a Freel fan because he played hard, but I hated seeing him come in to run bases, he messed up alot when it came down to it.

I wish him the best and honestly hope he don't dive into the brick wall, don't really think the ivey will help him much.

Kingspoint
05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Freel traded to the Cubs?

Fantastic.

Maybe he can knock out some Cub players while he's there.

Hondo
05-13-2009, 01:31 PM
He was just used improperly here... Plus his health was a major drawback... The guy has a Lenny Dysktra with far less POWER apeal to him... If he could have just played everyday and played without getting hurt, you're looking at a .280+ hitter with 10 homer power who can knock 40 doubles and steal 40 Bases while scoring 100 runs... Kinda like a Dustin Pedroia type hitter... Just maybe not the .320 hitter he was...

Would have been a nice player...

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda... Never Did...

Oxblood
05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
OT Who'd the cubs give up for ARamirez? RHarden?

GIDP
05-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Harden they gave up Eric Patterson, Gallahger and Matt Murton

and for Ramirez pretty much no body so I dont even want to list the names haha

Bumstead
05-13-2009, 01:59 PM
One has to wonder, is the only reason Freel has less power and less durability than Dykstra the lack of 'juice' he is putting into his body (vs. Dykstra's usage)?? :eek: