PDA

View Full Version : I wish I didn't know.

sonny
05-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think those using PEDs to gain big money and taint the game are complete dirtbags. But throughout the history of sports, there have been those who have breached the line of integrity when it came to enhancing performance on the field. From scuffing baseballs to stick-um, the athlete has always looked for a way to find an edge.

The ones we see in the grainy black and white films, swinging half a dozen bats, winking at the camera then stopping to sign an autograph for a young kid is the same one who shoved his metal cleats into the legs of the opposing second basemen.

We still revere these men. Why? Because ignorance is bliss. So we, my friends, in the information age, must be living in Hell.

I'd rather have never known who took what. I'd be in heaven

oneupper
05-08-2009, 11:07 PM
I think the fact that we only know a fraction of the story is what makes it worse.

If we could have a truthmeter and know exactly who took what when and who didn't, we may still have a few heroes. Or we could come to the conclusion that it was ALL rigged and nothing mattered

And maybe get some serious (blood) testing to move this thing forward.

Edskin
05-08-2009, 11:07 PM
It's a point well take. Everything you read about baseball culture in the 60's and 70's deals with players taking amphetemines or "greenies." Players would often say they couldn't play "naked." Bascially, players took speed in order to enhance their daily performance-- thus, I consider it a PED. Not really sure why those guys don't get bashed-- your info age theory is probably correct.