PDA

View Full Version : Reds stats after 30 games

Kc61
05-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Reds are 17-13 having won 3 straight at home against Brewers and Cards and 7 out of last 10. One day during this stretch, Reds had the best team ERA in the major leagues. Offense has picked up despite starters being out with various ailments. Lot of errors on defense but overall rating still good.

Offense -- .719 is tenth best in the league, a big improvement over .684 after 20 games. OBP of .329 is starting to sound respectable. SLG is tenth in league at .390. BA is .254, ninth in the league. All of these numbers have significantly improved over the last ten games.

Some notable individual stats. Votto still hitting .370 although he's been out sick. Bruce now with nine homers and SLG of .564. Nix is now the righty left fielder and is hitting .311. Phillips' OPS now up to .762 after a poor start.

Here's an odd one - Taveras and Hernandez both with same .284 BA and near identical OBP just over .350. Except one has a higher SLG - it's Taveras .382 to .364. Both are playing well.

Pitching -- Team ERA is 3.93, tied for second in NL, improved from 4.32 (eighth best) after 20 games. Was 5.11 after 10 games. Would be even better except for 15 runs allowed in game against Brewers in which the tandem of Arroyo and Janish allowed most of the runs. Reds have seven pitchers with WHIP of 1.31 or better, including three starters.

Reds lead majors with six shutouts. Yet Reds only tenth in the NL in strikeouts. Pitch to contact seems to be working.

Cueto and Volquez superb of late. Cueto 3 and 1 with a 1.59 ERA. Says he's no longer tipping his pitches. Whatever, it's working. Volquez' ERA down to 3.47 and Harang is at 2.93. Arroyo, on the other hand, over 7 ERA after the debacle this week. Owings at 5.08, ok for fifth starter.

Cordero still perfect saving games with 9, Rhodes still unscored upon, Massett doing well, Burton getting back to form. Weathers finally allowed some runs and ERA is 2.61.

Defense -- .978 FPCT is a slight improvement over the last update (.976) but Reds have 25 errors, tied for second most in league. Still DER is sixth best in league, which is a huge improvement over last year. Need to keep in mind that with injuries there's been a lot of re-positioning of players, with Hernandez at first and Hairston now at shortstop most games.

Will try to continue updating after ten game stretches.

SirFelixCat
05-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Just goes to show that w/ pitching comes wins. The defense has been quite good, really. Yes, the errors are too high, but as you noted, they are not the end-all-be-all defensive stat.

Thanks for this thread. I'll enjoy following it!

nate
05-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Nix is the lefty LF.

Good work. Interesting point about Ramon and Willy.

nate
05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
A couple more interesting stats.

Although the Reds still only have two players whose OPS+ > 100, they now have five players with an OPS+ of 85 or greater: Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Hernandez and Taveras (not in that order.)

Conversely, the Reds only have five pitchers with an ERA+ < 100 and of those five, one of them (Rhodes) doesn't even _HAVE_ an ERA+ because he's yet to give up a run. Micah Owings, even though he's below 100, has an ERA+ of 90. The other three are Lincoln, Burton and Arroyo.

So, the Reds are starting to fire on all cylinders. Nice!

traderumor
05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
A source of much criticism and snide remarks breaking camp was the bench, but they have been excellent. The bench has played the infield for much of the week, which is a winning week no matter what happens today, and one of the bench players has earned a starting job. Hanigan and Janish alone have made huge contributions, improving the D when they are in there and getting on base in the bottom of the lineup. The bench deserves at least a B+, if not an A at this point.

Kc61
05-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Re-checked the stats this morning on ESPN and one or two things are slightly different than my initial post. One is that the Reds team ERA of 3.93 is actually tied for second in the NL and tied for fifth in MLB. And team OPS is tenth in the league, although MLB.com has it at ninth.

Kc61
05-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Nix is the lefty LF.

Good work. Interesting point about Ramon and Willy.

Obviously correct, sorry about that.

Az Red
05-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Excellent work Kc61.

If this is going to last the whole season, might I recommend el-Sticky?

fisch11
05-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Pitch to contact seems to be working.

Somewhere Jim Bowden is saying, "See! I told you so!"

Also, for the 2nd straight season the Reds bullpen will be the last to blow a save in MLB. Last year they didn't blow their first save until their 41st game, 5/14.

VR
05-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Great thread, thanks for the time you put into in kc

mth123
05-10-2009, 01:41 PM
The Reds lead the NL in innings per start at 6.14. Only KC is better in MLB.

Mario-Rijo
05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Somewhere Jim Bowden is saying, "See! I told you so!"

Also, for the 2nd straight season the Reds bullpen will be the last to blow a save in MLB. Last year they didn't blow their first save until their 41st game, 5/14.

Yeah coming into last nights game was one of only 2 teams in the NL not to have lost a game we have lead after 5 innings. :thumbup:

Kc61
05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Excellent work Kc61.

If this is going to last the whole season, might I recommend el-Sticky?

I've been starting a new thread every ten games. I'm happy to continue doing it that way.

remdog
05-10-2009, 03:31 PM
I've been starting a new thread every ten games. I'm happy to continue doing it that way.

I agree. 61 has been doing a very nice job with this ten game approach. I appreciate it KC.

And the 10 game intervals allow some 'seperation' for how the things are trending. That makes it easier to see the big picture as the season goes on.

Rem