PDA

View Full Version : Reds Trivia Thread

fearofpopvol1
05-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Thought it might be cool to start this. Feel free to add/answer questions as you see fit.

I'll start.

When was the date of the last time the Reds were 4 games (or better) above .500 during a prior season?

TheNext44
05-10-2009, 02:54 AM
I believe it was 2006, around August 24. I am assuming it was around then because that was the last time the Reds were in first place beyond April. I remember that date because that was the date of my kidney transplant surgery.

Luckily my surgery has been a much greater success than the Reds since then.

I didn't really answer that one exactly, but I'll ask another anyway, to keep the thread going.

Who was the last Red to hit a "Red Seat" Upper Deck homer in Riverfront/Cinergy?

Homer Bailey
05-10-2009, 05:15 AM
I remember being 36 and 24 at one point in 2006. I also remember being in first place at the end of july when David Ross hit that walk off off of Izzzy for the STL.

Hap
05-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Who was the last Red to hit a "Red Seat" Upper Deck homer in Riverfront/Cinergy?

Dmitri Young 8/21/00

__________________________________________________ ______________

Here is a question I asked in a trivia thread two months ago, but the thread died before anyone answered.

Who is the last Reds pitcher to pitch a complete game shutout in his first major league start (it was not his first appearance).

HINT: He was very mediocre with the Reds but enjoyed a great deal of success with two other teams.

TheNext44
05-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Dmitri Young 8/21/00

__________________________________________________ ______________

Here is a question I asked in a trivia thread two months ago, but the thread died before anyone answered.

Who is the last Reds pitcher to pitch a complete game shutout in his first major league start (it was not his first appearance).

HINT: He was very mediocre with the Reds but enjoyed a great deal of success with two other teams.

Good guess, but it was in Sept of 2002.

Working on yours, that's a good one.

MrCinatit
05-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Off the top of my head, Milt Wilcox seems like a good answer...but I only remember him having success with the Tigers.
I have a second candidate, but don't want to seem like I am cheating by throwing out a bunch of answers at once.

mth123
05-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Off the top of my head, Milt Wilcox seems like a good answer...but I only remember him having success with the Tigers.
I have a second candidate, but don't want to seem like I am cheating by throwing out a bunch of answers at once.

Ross Grimsley????

Hap
05-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Ross Grimsley????

no, but he was a left-hander......

MrCinatit
05-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I withdraw Wilcox as a candidate. His term with the Reds wasn't all that bad, plus, he was a very good pitcher for Detroit, but that was about it.

Ross Grimsley????

He was another choice of mine, but I wasn't really that bad with the Reds either.
The other guy I had in mind was a huge swing and a miss in Mike Caldwell - for some reason, I had it in my head that he started with the Reds.
However, I am quite certain I have figured it out. We are looking too early. I am pretty sure the guy who did it, did so in 1980 (after appearing in a few games in 1979). He put up some pretty good numbers later on, while the guy the Reds got in return never put in a Cincinnati uniform.

EDIT: after seeing Hap's response, I am quite certain it was this guy...however, I will let someone else take the serve since I totally flubbed it.

westofyou
05-10-2009, 02:41 PM
no, but he was a left-hander......

Charlie Leibrandt 4-14-1980

mth123
05-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Liebrandt?

Hap
05-10-2009, 05:25 PM
The answer to my question was, indeed, Charlie Leibrandt.

I'm still stumped as to the red seat HR question in this thread. If it was in 2002, then it could have only been to right field.

Mario-Rijo
05-10-2009, 06:58 PM
The answer to my question was, indeed, Charlie Leibrandt.

I'm still stumped as to the red seat HR question in this thread. If it was in 2002, then it could have only been to right field.

It couldn't have been in '02 he said Riverfront/Cinergy.

Oops, forgot thought it was '02 when we moved in.

NM

BCubb2003
05-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Juan Encarnacion?

AtomicDumpling
05-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Russell Branyan for the last red-seat homer at Riverfront? I think Eduardo Perez hit one of the last ones, but I will go with Branyan.

TheNext44
05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Russell Branyan for the last red-seat homer at Riverfront? I think Eduardo Perez hit one of the last ones, but I will go with Branyan.

Ding-Ding-Ding

We have a winner. Sept 12th 2002. Off of Steve Smyth of the Cubs in a game the Reds won 15-12. Wily Mo also homered that day, but it was not a Red Seater.

Congratulations!!!!

Edit:

I'll start the next one since there seems to be no takers.

Tom Lawless has a very rare and bizarre distinction in his career that is shared by Manny Sanguillen and Randy Winn. (Although Winn's distinction was not official.) It might be shared by others, but those are the three that I know about.

What is this rare and bizarre distinction?

MrCinatit
05-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Lawless was traded to Montreal for Pete Rose, who immediately became Reds manager.
Manny was traded from the Pirates to the A's for Chuck Tanner, who became Pirates manager. (Manny went back to the Pirates the next year, 1977 being his only year in major league baseball spent outside the city).
Winn was officially traded to Seattle for Antonio Perez, but a deal had been worked out that allowed Lou Piniella to go to Tampa Bay, where he would age about 20 years.

TheNext44
05-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Lawless was traded to Montreal for Pete Rose, who immediately became Reds manager.
Manny was traded from the Pirates to the A's for Chuck Tanner, who became Pirates manager. (Manny went back to the Pirates the next year, 1977 being his only year in major league baseball spent outside the city).
Winn was officially traded to Seattle for Antonio Perez, but a deal had been worked out that allowed Lou Piniella to go to Tampa Bay, where he would age about 20 years.

I guess that was too easy.

Well done!! :thumbup:

TheNext44
05-11-2009, 01:39 AM

Since you got that one so fast, here's another about Lawless.

Lawless also holds another very bizarre MLB record. What is that bizarre record? (He did not do this as a Reds, so it really is not a Reds Trivia Question, but he was once a Red, so it kinda counts.)