PDA

View Full Version : Send McDonald Down

Benihana
05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
I've seen enough from this guy. He might be a nice guy, but he brings nothing to the table. I'd rather have Micah Owings pinch-hitting at this point, and with Dickerson on the roster his glove is redundant. He's nothing more than Norris Hopper redux.

Bring up Johnny Gomes.

redsfan4445
05-10-2009, 05:42 PM
i agree.. i watched him swing at 3 pitches that were not strikes.. time to get Gomes up here!!

Rounding Third
05-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Prediction:

Down: McDonald
Up: Hopper

Superdude
05-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I'd rather have Micah Owings pinch-hitting at this point

foreshadowing... :D

Degenerate39
05-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Bring up Hopper or Gomes already

Kc61
05-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I think the Reds need to focus on McDonald, Dickerson, Burton, and Herrera. Some of them might need some AAA time right about now. Burton would certainly come back but he may need some time to get his stuff working.

Candidates at AAA are Gomes, Hopper, Stubbs, Roenicke, Fisher, Viola.

In Dickerson's case, Reds would need a lefty bat to replace him. Not sure there is an available candidate.

remdog
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I think Danny Ray has been 'OK'. As I posted in the game thread, he has to throw more strikes. It's like any other pitcher---they have to trust their stuff. Also, as I noted in the game thread, I think that the umpires have to get an idea of what he throws as well. DRH throws stuff that a lot of current MLB umps haven't seen before or, if they have, it's been a long time. I'm thinking that some of them haven't seen someone throw this 'hard' since they umped American Legion ball. :) The umps as well as the players need an adjustment period to deal with someone that throws stuff that almost never see in MLB.

Rem

lollipopcurve
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
The 40-man is currently full. In order to promote Gomes, Hopper, Stubbs or Viola, someone will need to be waived. There are no clearcut choices -- McDonald himself looks like the most redundant to me (with Hopper, Stubbs, Heisey all behind him).

WVRedsFan
05-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Hopper?

Ugh. We already have Traveras, why do we need Hopper? If you're replacing McDonald, you'd better bring up a power bat and Hopper ain't no power bat. We already have enough Judy hitters to fill two teams.

Mario-Rijo
05-10-2009, 07:39 PM
I think the Reds need to focus on McDonald, Dickerson, Burton, and Herrera. Some of them might need some AAA time right about now. Burton would certainly come back but he may need some time to get his stuff working.

Candidates at AAA are Gomes, Hopper, Stubbs, Roenicke, Fisher, Viola.

In Dickerson's case, Reds would need a lefty bat to replace him. Not sure there is an available candidate.

I'd hang on to Dickerson nothing better to replace him with and we still need the speed, defense, plate discipline with some pop on the bench. Herrera and McDonald need to go, McDonald to a whole other organization. Burton has to be hurt and I bet they now know it. Couple all that with Gonzo and we could have 3-4 new faces for Zona' trip.

Gonzo to DL, bring Castillo
Burton to DL, bring up Fisher
Herrera down bring up Manuel
McDonald outright release bring up Gomes putting him on the 40 man (although I'd bet Hopper would be the one they bring up as if we don't have enough guys lacking power)

Send Heisey to AAA
Send Yonder to AA

Need to find a way to slip Juan Francisco thru waivers and get him off the 40 man while we still can. Or make him part of a package to the Rockies for Matt Murton. That way we get a decent RH bat for the bench who can also play decent defense.

Mario-Rijo
05-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I think Danny Ray has been 'OK'. As I posted in the game thread, he has to throw more strikes. It's like any other pitcher---they have to trust their stuff. Also, as I noted in the game thread, I think that the umpires have to get an idea of what he throws as well. DRH throws stuff that a lot of current MLB umps haven't seen before or, if they have, it's been a long time. I'm thinking that some of them haven't seen someone throw this 'hard' since they umped American Legion ball. :) The umps as well as the players need an adjustment period to deal with someone that throws stuff that almost never see in MLB.

Rem

I don't think DRH has a problem with trusting his stuff, I think he barely throws hard enough to get it to the plate, especially with his lack of height costing him leverage. He has to basically pitch up hill with a lack of velocity.

Kc61
05-10-2009, 07:50 PM
I'd hang on to Dickerson nothing better to replace him with and we still need the speed, defense, plate discipline with some pop on the bench. Herrera and McDonald need to go, McDonald to a whole other organization. Burton has to be hurt and I bet they now know it. Couple all that with Gonzo and we could have 3-4 new faces for Zona' trip.

Gonzo to DL, bring Castillo
Burton to DL, bring up Fisher
Herrera down bring up Manuel
McDonald outright release bring up Gomes putting him on the 40 man (although I'd bet Hopper would be the one they bring up as if we don't have enough guys lacking power)

Send Heisey to AAA
Send Yonder to AA

Need to find a way to slip Juan Francisco thru waivers and get him off the 40 man while we still can. Or make him part of a package to the Rockies for Matt Murton. That way we get a decent RH bat for the bench who can also play decent defense.

You'll never slip Francisco through waivers. He's had a rough start at AA, still he's 21, the youngest guy on his team, and is showing big power even with the lack of walks.

remdog
05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't think DRH has a problem with trusting his stuff, I think he barely throws hard enough to get it to the plate, especially with his lack of height costing him leverage. He has to basically pitch up hill with a lack of velocity.

But that's exactly the point, he throws stuff that MLB hitters haven't seen before (at least not past high school). He's different, he's quirky with a screwball, he's tought to pick up because of his short stature.

To me, the difference between DRH in ST, when he clearly won a job, and now, is that he isn't throwing as many strikes.

DRH is not a guy that should be run out there to face a lineup twice through the order. But, to put him in to face 3-6 batters in between Volques/Cueto and Burton/Cordero just totally disrupts the hitter's timing if he throws the ball over the plate.

Rem

Mario-Rijo
05-10-2009, 07:53 PM
But that's exactly the point, he throws stuff that MLB hitters haven't seen before (at least not past high school). He's different, he's quirky with a screwball, he's tought to pick up because of his short stature.

To me, the difference between DRH in ST, when he clearly won a job, and now, is that he isn't throwing as many strikes.

DRH is not a guy that should be run out there to face a lineup twice through the order. But, to put him in to face 3-6 batters in between Volques/Cueto and Burton/Cordero just totally disrupts the hitter's timing if he throws the ball over the plate.

Rem

I agree with all that but he seems to be having a problem getting the ball to the plate which translates into runs.

However right now if Burton is hurt I wouldn't be opposed to giving him thru the WC trip to straighten himself out.

Mario-Rijo
05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
You'll never slip Francisco through waivers. He's had a rough start at AA, still he's 21, the youngest guy on his team, and is showing big power even with the lack of walks.

I know was just wishful thinking.....

I'd still deal him though never have been a fan of his, don't think his value will ever get any higher.

Kc61
05-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I know was just wishful thinking.....

I'd still deal him though never have been a fan of his, don't think his value will ever get any higher.

Give him time. Guy is youngest man on his team, still has several years to develop.

Viola not on forty man roster, less likely to come up. Roenicke has higher ERA than some of the others, but his FIP is good and he has 15Ks and 0 walks. I'd probably choose him, but Fisher is a good choice too.

If I were guessing, I'd guess Herrera will stay until Bray is ready. I'd also guess that Dickerson will stay because there's no lefty hitting replacements. Not sure how effective Dickerson is in a reserve role -- with all the Ks hard to see him as an effective pinch hitter.

My guess is that the two logical moves are Burton to DL with either Roenicke or Fisher coming up; and McDonald down, Gomes up.

If Gonzalez goes on DL, just not sure who replaces him. Logical choice would be a reserve infielder, maybe Richar. If there was a logical replacement, he'd probably be on the DL already.

Mario-Rijo
05-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Give him time. Guy is youngest man on his team, still has several years to develop.

Manuel and Viola not on forty man roster, less likely to come up. Roenicke has higher ERA but his FIP is good and he has 15Ks and 0 walks. I'd probably choose him, but Fisher is a good choice too.

If I were guessing, I'd guess Herrera will stay until Bray is ready. I'd also guess that Dickerson will stay because there's no lefty hitting replacements. Not sure how effective Dickerson is in a reserve role -- with all the Ks hard to see him as an effective pinch hitter.

My guess is that the two logical moves are Burton to DL with either Roenicke or Fisher coming up; and McDonald down, Gomes up.

If Gonzalez comes up, just not sure who replaces him. Logical choice would be a reserve infielder, maybe Richar. If there was a logical replacement, he'd probably be on the DL already.

Manuel is on the 40 according to MLB.com

On Juan Francisco, I don't think he could incrmentally improve the next 5 years and be far enough along to be solid at the major league level, his discipline is worse than almost anyone I have ever seen. I just don't see it happening.

Kc61
05-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Manuel is on the 40 according to MLB.com

On Juan Francisco, I don't think he could incrmentally improve the next 5 years and be far enough along to be solid at the major league level, his discipline is worse than almost anyone I have ever seen. I just don't see it happening.

You're right about Manuel, fixed my post. On Francisco, you probably have seen him play more than me, so I'll defer to you. Just that his age is very favorable for a AA player and, given his power, I'd give him some time.

tommycash
05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
This is my first post on the ORG and I want to say that McDonald should no longer be on the roster, and Gomes or anyone else should be brought up in his place.

By the way, it is a pleasure to finally post in the ORG

Mario-Rijo
05-10-2009, 09:00 PM
This is my first post on the ORG and I want to say that McDonald should no longer be on the roster, and Gomes or anyone else should be brought up in his place.

By the way, it is a pleasure to finally post in the ORG

Welcome tommycash!

Mario-Rijo
05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
You're right about Manuel, fixed my post. On Francisco, you probably have seen him play more than me, so I'll defer to you. Just that his age is very favorable for a AA player and, given his power, I'd give him some time.

If I hadn't seen him play I'd probably agree with you, but trust it's brutal. M2 and I have agreed on his comp before and his comp makes him look like Harang swinging the bat. His comp: Tony Batista with more power but obviously far less selectivity which is saying something. He of the 4959 career PA's & 287 BB's.

So I guess what I am saying is yeah he has a chance but even if he makes it we waited all that time for Batista and the chance isn't a good one IMHO.

traderumor
05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I have the mini-van warmed up ready to go to Louisville for McDonald and Burton. McDonald just isn't helping off the bench and I don't see anything he does well that makes him valuable. Burton is all over the place and has been all season. He needs to go and work on stuff or he's hurt.

GAC
05-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Send Ol' McDonald to the farm huh?

E-I-E-I-O :D

Chip R
05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I have the mini-van warmed up ready to go to Louisville for McDonald and Burton. McDonald just isn't helping off the bench and I don't see anything he does well that makes him valuable. Burton is all over the place and has been all season. He needs to go and work on stuff or he's hurt.

It might not be a bad idea to send Dickerson down with them. I like him but he's not looking good at the plate now and may be pressing. He did well in LOU last year and maybe it would help him.

I agree about McDonald but I'd keep Burton.

*BaseClogger*
05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Why is everyone worrying about Burton while Lincoln is still on the staff?

Chip R
05-10-2009, 10:18 PM

Cause Lincoln didn't pitch (give up a run) today? ;)

Crosley68
05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I think Dickerson needs to go as well. Nix has pushed him out of the LH LF platoon and he really looks poor in the PH role. Janish also looks like a boy against men at the plate but our IF depth is questionable so maybe he stays by default.

mth123
05-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Lincoln probably won't benefit from AAA and his contract says its too soon to release him. Burton is a guy who could go down for a couple weeks, get some regular work and be back to last year's form (assuming he's healthy). I'd bring Fisher up for a look until then. Keep Herrera for a while longer, but Viola is a viable option IMO (eventually Bray as well).

On offense, I would send Dickerson down for the same reasons. Nix has been good and he's my LH LF for now, but I'm concerned that it won't last and suspect that the team will need Dickerson at some point. I'd send him down to get him going and bring Sutton up (switch hitter on the 40 man) to play the LH bench role until Dickerson is ready. I would DFA McDonald and add Gomes as well.

NC Reds
05-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Janish is hitting .345.

remdog
05-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Janish is hitting .345.

That's a really good example of why numbers don't always tell a true tale.

Rem

*BaseClogger*
05-11-2009, 12:57 AM
At this time, the only changes I would make would be to swap McDonald for Gomes and to place Gonzalez on the DL and call up Drew Sutton...

TheNext44
05-11-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't really understand the advantage of having Gonzalez stay with the team and not disabled.

Basically it means even it he starts on Monday, that he has missed 6 games, but will be available for just 6 more than if he was disabled. Disabling him earlier this week would have meant that he loses maybe 10 games, but the Reds would not be shorthanded for any of those. Now granted the Reds went 4-2 in those six games, but they might have gone 5-1 if they had a deeper bench for Sunday's game.

Also, DL'ing him would let the Reds rehab him in AAA for a few games, which would be good for him anyway. I just don't understand the upside of keeping him on the team, when he can't do anything for 6 games.

WVRedsFan
05-11-2009, 01:15 AM
The truth is, McDonald and Dickerson need to go down to see some playing time every day. Bring up Gomes and Stubbs to see what they can do. They may be worse. Do not bring up Hopper. We know what he can do and guys like Hopper and McDonald always seem to find their way into the lineup. Managers love these Judy hitters for some reason. I can't figure that out.

Burton needs to go down to find himself and bring up Homer just so it can be put to rest that he's ever going to be a major contributor to this team. Maybe in relief he'll do better. Lincoln is a lost cause and everyone but Dusty and Jocketty seems to know that. Don't pitch him often.

You keep Janish because he is the only competent IF defender off the bench you have.

WVRedsFan
05-11-2009, 01:18 AM
I don't really understand the advantage of having Gonzalez stay with the team and not disabled.

Basically it means even it he starts on Monday, that he has missed 6 games, but will be available for just 6 more than if he was disabled. Disabling him earlier this week would have meant that he loses maybe 10 games, but the Reds would not be shorthanded for any of those. Now granted the Reds went 4-2 in those six games, but they might have gone 5-1 if they had a deeper bench for Sunday's game.

Also, DL'ing him would let the Reds rehab him in AAA for a few games, which would be good for him anyway. I just don't understand the upside of keeping him on the team, when he can't do anything for 6 games.

There's something fishy about this and I do not know what it is. Sometimes I think it's pity over his son and his injury last year and the fact that he wants to play so bad. Other times, I think it's the great regard Dusty and Walt have for his glove and they're just hoping he'll get back early. Either way, it's times like today when you had to bat McDonald in the 10th, you see the falacy of this non move.

tripleaaaron
05-11-2009, 02:06 AM
There's something fishy about this and I do not know what it is. Sometimes I think it's pity over his son and his injury last year and the fact that he wants to play so bad. Other times, I think it's the great regard Dusty and Walt have for his glove and they're just hoping he'll get back early. Either way, it's times like today when you had to bat McDonald in the 10th, you see the falacy of this non move.

I completely agree, especially regarding the situation at hand. Gonzalez has been quite injury prone the last few years and shouldn't be depended on to come back so quickly, nor is he a core piece. He hasn't earned the right for a non trip to the DL. While if this were Votto or Bruce or even Phillips for that matter, they would merit the few days. If this were the AL, it would be a different story.
On McDonald, why did he even break camp with the team to begin with? Is he dating Dusty's daughter? Walts? He is terrible, it is time to bring up Gomes and Valaika.

WVRedsFan
05-11-2009, 03:16 AM
I completely agree, especially regarding the situation at hand. Gonzalez has been quite injury prone the last few years and shouldn't be depended on to come back so quickly, nor is he a core piece. He hasn't earned the right for a non trip to the DL. While if this were Votto or Bruce or even Phillips for that matter, they would merit the few days. If this were the AL, it would be a different story.
On McDonald, why did he even break camp with the team to begin with? Is he dating Dusty's daughter? Walts? He is terrible, it is time to bring up Gomes and Valaika.

Theory is (among some) that his salary gives him the merit to get a fewe days off. He's making ~$5.4 million this year. Though he's not even an important cog (IMHO) in this team's future, he seems to be valued by the manager and the GM, so he gets the break. I'd like to know more about this thought process, but the Cincinnati press corps is apparently more interested in making buddies than finding out information (also IMHO).

McDonald had a good spring. He hit the ball well and shows some flashes of good defense. That's why he's here. The problem is that this team needs players who can provide offense. For some reason, the powers that be decided that McDonald had worth as a defensive player and he started opening day to the chagrin of many here. Since then, he hasn't shown much and there are too many players on the roster like him. He apparently is well thought of by the manager and GM, so he may stay. I just shake my head sometimes.

11larkin11
05-11-2009, 03:49 AM

Valaika is batting about .150 right now. Sutton should be up first, before Chris is up.

Topcat
05-11-2009, 04:03 AM
The 40-man is currently full. In order to promote Gomes, Hopper, Stubbs or Viola, someone will need to be waived. There are no clearcut choices -- McDonald himself looks like the most redundant to me (with Hopper, Stubbs, Heisey all behind him).

McDonalds a slam dunk cut from 40 man roster, that being said this lefty righty matchup makes me puke. I wanted Nix up there and Dusty had to go all "manager like" aka look I am part of the game! The same old tired lefty versus righty pitcher crap has run its course and needs to end especially on the Reds. either way 2 of 3 with a depleted flu roster. Bless you boys , you did the Queen city proud.

Topcat
05-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Theory is (among some) that his salary gives him the merit to get a fewe days off. He's making ~$5.4 million this year. Though he's not even an important cog (IMHO) in this team's future, he seems to be valued by the manager and the GM, so he gets the break. I'd like to know more about this thought process, but the Cincinnati press corps is apparently more interested in making buddies than finding out information (also IMHO).

McDonald had a good spring. He hit the ball well and shows some flashes of good defense. That's why he's here. The problem is that this team needs players who can provide offense. For some reason, the powers that be decided that McDonald had worth as a defensive player and he started opening day to the chagrin of many here. Since then, he hasn't shown much and there are too many players on the roster like him. He apparently is well thought of by the manager and GM, so he may stay. I just shake my head sometimes.

Patterson Part Deaux ?

CarolinaRedleg
05-11-2009, 08:19 AM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/tplester119/darnell.jpg

I'm Bussin' It.

Jpup
05-11-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm in favor of releasing McDonald and bringing in Gomes. McDonald has no use in Cincinnati or Louisville IMO. I wish him the best, but he is not a MLB ball player, or should not be.

lollipopcurve
05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
The truth is, McDonald and Dickerson need to go down to see some playing time every day. Bring up Gomes and Stubbs to see what they can do.

Gomes and Stubbs are not on the 40-man, so this would amount to waiving McDonald (fine by me) and Dickerson (not fine). Guys like Sutton, Francisco and Castillo are all on the 40-man, so you could promote them without losing anyone.

Roy Tucker
05-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah, McDonald isn't a 30 yr. old AAA guy for no reason. But he's an end of the bench guy and is there more for his glove than bat. The Reds' thin bench is showing.

I don't get why they don't DL Gonzalez either. He has never been a fast healer. I think this is how he is going to be all year, tweaking various muscles and tendons and getting hurt a lot. Like I've said, if they get 100 games out of him, they'll be lucky (?). And, I sympathize with him for his son but we all have crosses to bear. The guy doesn't look like he's hit a gym in his life and its showing now.

traderumor
05-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Valaika is batting about .150 right now. Sutton should be up first, before Chris is up.Valaika is injured, out for a couple of months.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-11-2009, 11:33 AM
McDonalds a slam dunk cut from 40 man roster, that being said this lefty righty matchup makes me puke. I wanted Nix up there and Dusty had to go all "manager like" aka look I am part of the game! The same old tired lefty versus righty pitcher crap has run its course and needs to end especially on the Reds.

Taking the bat out of the hands of Nix for McDonald (.725 career minor league OPS.....lol) reminded me of Jerry Narron PH'ing Castro for Josh Hamilton a couple years ago.

Of course, Nix is no Hamilton and it was Castro's birthday that day, but I still felt the same sick feeling.

fearofpopvol1
05-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I would actually rather have Hopper than McDonald...but I agree with what others have said. Release McDonald outright and bring up Gomes.

REDREAD
05-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Agree 100%. Gonzo is gone after this season. It's not as if he's a great asset to the team. Put him on the DL. If he has to stay on the DL a few extra days, so what? I mean, I can see if they expected Votto to be out for only 8 days, they wouldn't want to DL him and lose him for 15. But Gonzo? Who cares?

I would use the opportunity of DLing Gonzo to take a look at Gomez. However, I feel that Gomez is penciled in as emergency depth. The Reds don't like his game. Because of this, I'm not so sure sending McDonald packing to AAA is that obvious. The bottom line is that the Reds are incredibly thin on OF.

In a similiar vein, Dickerson needs to stay on the ML roster all year. At his age, we need to know what he can do. The worst thing is to send him down to AAA, and have him do well, and then believe in his "fool's gold" again. The guy is 27 (I think, can't remember).. He should be tearing up AAA if he is there. Dickerson needs to be given the chance to turn his season around at the major leagues this year. If he doesn't take advantage of this opportunity, he needs to be given the boot at the end of the season. I think that will happen. Walt is different from previous GMs who held on to marginal guys like Belisle, etc for way too long.

nate
05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Agree 100%. Gonzo is gone after this season. It's not as if he's a great asset to the team. Put him on the DL. If he has to stay on the DL a few extra days, so what? I mean, I can see if they expected Votto to be out for only 8 days, they wouldn't want to DL him and lose him for 15. But Gonzo? Who cares?

Not me. Janish has been hitting so let's get more of that while he's doing it.

I would use the opportunity of DLing Gonzo to take a look at Gomez. However, I feel that Gomez is penciled in as emergency depth. The Reds don't like his game. Because of this, I'm not so sure sending McDonald packing to AAA is that obvious. The bottom line is that the Reds are incredibly thin on OF.

Who is Gomez and why don't the Reds like his game?

dfs
05-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Release McDonald.
Put Gomes on the 40 man roster call him up.
Gonzo comes back. Either Hairston or Rosales are now in the mix in left.
Edwin comes off the DL. You need to take somebody off the 40 man.
Gomes comes off the 40 man and is released.

You've lost two outfielders for...5 at bats in the next few days.

Cyclone792
05-11-2009, 01:29 PM
McDonald is the younger yet equally useless version of Quinton McCracken.

IslandRed
05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
McDonalds a slam dunk cut from 40 man roster, that being said this lefty righty matchup makes me puke. I wanted Nix up there and Dusty had to go all "manager like" aka look I am part of the game! The same old tired lefty versus righty pitcher crap has run its course and needs to end especially on the Reds.

I know McDonald hasn't hit a lick, but let's keep a number in mind for a second:

That's Nix's career OPS against left-handed pitchers. By way of comparison, in a similar number of plate appearances, Bronson Arroyo's is .482.

Knee-jerk lefty-righty can be lazy managing, sure, but if you have a right-handed hitter available and a left-handed batter on deck in a key situation who can't hit a lefty with a boat paddle, that's an easy call for me.

traderumor
05-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I know McDonald hasn't hit a lick, but let's keep a number in mind for a second:

That's Nix's career OPS against left-handed pitchers. By way of comparison, in a similar number of plate appearances, Bronson Arroyo's is .482.

Knee-jerk lefty-righty can be lazy managing, sure, but if you have a right-handed hitter available and a left-handed batter on deck in a key situation who can't hit a lefty with a boat paddle, that's an easy call for me.McDonald hitting from the right side does nothing to help that situation.

LoganBuck
05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Valaika is injured, out for a couple of months.

Valaika's injury is such that he can be placed on the 60 day DL, freeing a roster spot for someone else.

REDREAD
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Who is Gomez and why don't the Reds like his game?

Sorry, Gomes.. If they like McDonald better than Gomes, then it's pretty obvious they don't like Gomes' game.

I'm not saying McDonald is good. He's bad. But if you release McDonald and bring up Gomes, has the team really improved? IMO, no (or marginal at best).
To get this marginal improvement, you now leave yourself exposed if one of the OF get injured. Not really worth it. It would be worthwhile if Gomes was a clear upgrade, but he's not.

traderumor
05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Sorry, Gomes.. If they like McDonald better than Gomes, then it's pretty obvious they don't like Gomes' game.

I'm not saying McDonald is good. He's bad. But if you release McDonald and bring up Gomes, has the team really improved? IMO, no (or marginal at best).
To get this marginal improvement, you now leave yourself exposed if one of the OF get injured. Not really worth it. It would be worthwhile if Gomes was a clear upgrade, but he's not.

Gomes is at least performing as advertised in AAA, hitting lefties with power and struggling against righties. He and Nix could provide a serviceable LF tandem as classic platoonists, Gomes D notwithstanding (which is always a bonus but not a must with LFers, there is only so much damage they can do). McDonald is not currently providing the righty threat needed, and Hairston is more of the same (although I fear if Gomes is up and Gonzales is back at short, guess who Dusty plays?)

wheels
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
McDonald hitting from the right side does nothing to help that situation.

Yup. I didn't watch it on T.V. (yesterday's AB), but in person. From my vantage point three rows back down the third base line, it may have been one of the more clueless at bats I've ever seen.

He's clearly overmatched, righty v. lefty or not.

lollipopcurve
05-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Valaika's injury is such that he can be placed on the 60 day DL, freeing a roster spot for someone else.

Valaika is not on the 40-man.

lollipopcurve
05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
I didn't watch it on T.V. (yesterday's AB), but in person. From my vantage point three rows back down the third base line, it may have been one of the more clueless at bats I've ever seen.

He's clearly overmatched, righty v. lefty or not.

I saw it, and I thought it was revealing. Reyes threw him a couple sliders, and McDonald swung right over both, not even a tick. The one that surprised me was the 2nd one -- he'd just seen the same pitch, and the second one really looked hittable, as it was up enough to be a strike. Righties have hit Reyes well this year -- not saying his stuff is garbage, but it really was surprising to see McDonald fail to even foul off a pitch. At least with Gomes you get occasional thunder. With Hopper, you get contact and the ability to lay down a bunt when the situation demands. Not sure what you can count on from McDonald.

LoganBuck
05-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Valaika is not on the 40-man.

My bad, I thought he was.

IslandRed
05-11-2009, 03:57 PM
McDonald hitting from the right side does nothing to help that situation.

McDonald is bad.

Not all bad is equally bad.

flyer85
05-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I guess Ol' McDonald should get the farm.

Vada Pinson Fan
05-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I agree with sending Dickerson down to AAA to get his stroke back to where it was late last season.

McDonald was a "feel good" story that has run the gamut. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy and Dusty obviously likes him but the same story applies to McDonald that Baker told Dickerson about the need to win. McDonald offers zero chance of improving this club anywhere. There are (thankfully) too many outfielders in the minors that could and should be here in his place.

Now another concern is coming up. What to do with Edwin Encarnacion? He is slated to come off the DL on Wednesday. I think it is in Walt's best interest to send EE to Louisville for as long as possible on a rehab stint. Rosales clearly has brought a new dimension and energy to this team not seen at 3rd base since Chris Sabo. The Reds need to buy more time to see Rosales at his best and worst. See how AR responds to a little adversity if his good start heads south a bit.