PDA

View Full Version : Righty/Lefty Fading?

traderumor
05-11-2009, 01:34 PM
It seems to me, purely anecdotally, that the righty vs. lefty aspect of baseball may be taking a lower priority in decision making, or should be if it is not.

We sport a solid rotation with no lefty yet again, and it doesn't seem to bring but a fleeting thought to me that it is something that needs addressed. As I have seen others say on here, "I want someone who can get people out, whichever hand they throw with."

It also seems that the LOOGY is starting to be seen as an expensive luxury, sort of like a CPA ;) . Every one needs one, but nobody wants to pay for them (Trevor Miller's laundry list of org's over the years turned this light on), so teams try to do without one, but some other team is always there to give them a moderate reliever's salary. The LOOGY seems expendable, but then you get into the late innings without one and the lefty slugger who at least could have their power taken away with the LOOGY and you wish he was there.

Then there is concern for lineup heavy handed one way or the other, or Dusty's mind-numbing insistence that our two best hitters need to be split in the order because of the hand they hit with. Should hand matter when constructing a lineup? I laugh when looking at Gene Mauch's 69-70 Expos, who batted four and five lefties at a time in order (Mack Jones, Rusty Staub, Jim Gosger, Ron Fairly, Jim Fairey and others), which is currently against the grain (as Mauch often was) and has been over the years. But you wonder, in the grand scheme of things, is it much ado about nothing? Should the Reds care what hand a pitcher throws with or a hitter hits with when drafting? Are there enough lefty/righty killers to warrant any concern at all about this traditional baseball roster management and managerial manuevering attribute?

kpresidente
05-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I still think a good platoon can get you all-star production for half the cost. Anybody think Nix would have .930 OPS if he batted against lefties?

The bottom line is you look at the splits and go from there. If the heart of your order is three lefties that can't hit LHP, it's going to hurt you.

HokieRed
05-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't think it's changed at all and we've got two positions where platoon splits need to be addressed: LF, where we need a right-handed bat to split with Nix, and 2b, where Dusty needs to recognize that BP has a tremendous platoon differential and, while it's defensible to bat him 4th against lefties, he should bat much farther down in the order against righties.

cincrazy
05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I still think a good platoon can get you all-star production for half the cost. Anybody think Nix would have .930 OPS if he batted against lefties?

The bottom line is you look at the splits and go from there. If the heart of your order is three lefties that can't hit LHP, it's going to hurt you.

I would like to see Nix be our Chris Duncan. The Cardinals use Duncan perfectly and maximize the production they get from him. If we're smart, we'll do the same with Nix.