PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear it for Willy T

Griffey012
05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
I know a lot of people dog on him because of certain stats such as slug and such, but this guys has been phenominal so far and has been a huge part of our start I believe. It literally seems like he gets on base to start off almost every game and has scored in the first inning quite a few times. He is seeing a lot of pitches, getting on a lot of ways, even getting a few RBI's given the opportunities. He has played a pretty respectable CF also.

I don't look for him to keep this up all season, hitting .290/.360 ish but for now let's give him some props and hope he keeps it up.

WILD THING
05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
I was never upset with the Willy T signing. I also thought people were being somewhat unfair when they constantly ran him into the ground and made him out to be the next Patterson before the season even started. I love Willy T on this ball club. He's done exactly what you said, and that's get on base and score. Isn't that what you expect from your lead off batter?

Kingspoint
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I owe him my apologies.

Way to go Willie, and Walt for finding a Gold Nugget in the Rockies' tailings (that stuff you throw away when you're panning).

bw87a
05-11-2009, 10:57 PM
hell yeah! 3-3 so far.

TheBigLebowski
05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I agree although I was never against the signing - I just hated the negotiation process in place there. When no one is bidding against you, you start low.

The problem for Willy, at least as far as his RZ popularity is concerned, is that he was persona non-grata from the beginning. He will need to play exceptional baseball all year to keep the dogs off of him.

ukwazoo
05-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Well, I have to get this off my chest. His defense yesterday cost us a few runs. Misjudging that single to 'maker, not hustling, and then the bobble of the hit in the gap. He wasn't the only one yesterday (Volquez also helped), though.

That being said, he has done some work at the plate, and been great at the top of the order. He was on base 2 out of the 5 times up yesterday. He's a definite improvement over the players we've had in center the last few years. Yesterday notwithstanding, his defense has been very solid. Glad to have him.

lidspinner
05-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I love him.....I just wish he would run more, I want to see him steal as many bases as he said he would when interviewed in spring training....I do agree that he is our spark plug.

NorrisHopper30
05-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I told you all that you'd be eating crow!

Griffey012
05-11-2009, 11:28 PM
I agree although I was never against the signing - I just hated the negotiation process in place there. When no one is bidding against you, you start low.

The problem for Willy, at least as far as his RZ popularity is concerned, is that he was persona non-grata from the beginning. He will need to play exceptional baseball all year to keep the dogs off of him.

I actually think the White Sox were pretty hard after him, you know Ozzie loves a fast leadoff guy, and they are even desperate enough to bring back Scotty Pods. But I don't really know the inside info about the bidding process, just a though.

stevekun
05-12-2009, 12:04 AM
dude is 5-5 with 4 runs and 2 batted in...what a player!

Ghosts of 1990
05-12-2009, 12:23 AM
He is RED HOT right now (no pun). Really getting it going and doing the job for us. Thumbs up willy.

Dude Rock
05-12-2009, 12:42 AM
No complaints and total props to Willy T.

PhillipsHead
05-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Incredible 5 hit night. We need him to be our table setter if we want to keep winning...

defender
05-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Tavaras and Hairston have both really hit well at the top of the order.

Jefferson24
05-12-2009, 09:05 AM
I think despite my initial feelings about the acquisition of Tavaras that he will be a valuable part of this team. I hope he keeps up the good work.

xavr1
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
He is validating my feelings when we signed him. Its a beautiful thing to have a natural leadoff hitter getting on base with regularity. Last night was so fun to watch, even though I am playing against him in fantasy this week ha.

mlh1981
05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
FINALLY, a REAL leadoff hitter! It's about damn time we get someone at the top of the lineup who can swing the stick.

Griffey012
05-12-2009, 11:10 AM
He is validating my feelings when we signed him. Its a beautiful thing to have a natural leadoff hitter getting on base with regularity. Last night was so fun to watch, even though I am playing against him in fantasy this week ha.

I was playing against Jon Garland so I couldn't be happier.

Kingspoint
05-12-2009, 04:19 PM

That was the point. He would have been a restricted Free Agent at the end of this year, so the REDS would have been able to match any offer for him. Give him a year, see what he can do, and don't block Stubb's progress into the Majors by giving him multiple years, when they would hold his rights next year, anyway. It doesn't matter and it turned out to be the right decision as the results speak for themselves.

Kingspoint
05-12-2009, 04:21 PM
dude is 5-5 with 4 runs and 2 batted in...what a player!

I heard Pete Rose never even did that. 5-5 with 4 Runs scored.

Va Red Fan
05-12-2009, 04:45 PM
The Reds Zone loses much respect every time Willy T reaches base. Many of you were brutal, and undeservedly so, and very wrong!

I was hopeful and so far e has been a blessing at the top of the order.

From now on, keep your catastrophic predictions in your pocket until the guy actually puts on a Reds jersey.

WillyT
05-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm really happy that everybody on RedsZone is giving Willy a chance. I know people were skeptical about the signing and I understand that. I know that Willy has worked very hard to make improvments to his game from the moment he joined the Reds. He's a tireless worker and I really believe the Reds staff is committed to working just as hard to improve him. He's a great teammate and I think he's really happy being a Red. I know how bad he wants to win and although it's early and he's bound to have highs and lows, I think when the season is done he's going to be a productive piece of this ballclub. Again I'm glad that Reds fans are giving him a chance and are warming up to him. When he is playing near his potential he can be so much fun to watch!

LouisvilleCARDS
05-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I was glad we signed him from the start. I thought the "forum that shall not be named" was ridiculous negative on him and making mountains out of molehills when he was signed. Mostly taking out frustration from the Dunn lovers I guess, and the people who wanted a big bat in the lineup.

What irks me the most about it is all the talk about how we overpaid, and then when they said what we should have paid him, it was only like a 2 mil difference than what we did. Too many on this board focus on silly crap like how Willy Taveras might be overpaid by a mil or two, instead of say, the certain starting pitcher that's making $10 mil a year who's getting rocked every few start to see how many ER's he can give up in under 2 innings.

Priorities people. And great job for Willy T.

Va Red Fan
05-13-2009, 12:39 AM
So, majority of posters on this site, how does crow taste? I bet its like chicken.

UPRedsFan
05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Who is this Willy Taveras guy anyway?

.322 average .380 OBP

I knew of a Willy Taveras once who couldn't get on base and all he could do was bunt. Must be a coincidence.

schmidty622
05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Still a small sample size and I don't think he will get on base at a .380 clip all year. BUT...the guy got on base at a .360+ clip in the in the minors and I don't see why he can't improve his major league game to that level.

If he can post a .350 OBP for the Reds this year, look out.

bgwilly31
05-14-2009, 11:30 AM
These people are all PWND! like real bad. :thumbdown

http://www.redszone.com/forums/group.php?groupid=1

I dont even see where they were coming from. I was excited to get some speed and high OPS in the leadoff spot for this year.

schmidty622
05-14-2009, 11:33 AM

I dont even see where they were coming from. I was excited to get some speed and high OPS in the leadoff spot for this year.

Haha, that's pretty good.

texasdave
05-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Taveras has certainly outplayed any and all of my expectations so far. Good for him.

To date the scoreboard reads:

Jamie Quirk - 1
Texasdave - 0

cbowen2112
05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I remember when Willy T was a young speedy guy with Houston. Now he is a veteran, smart, speedy guy for the Reds! My best friend is a 'Stros fan and hates that we have Willy T back in the Central.

Va Red Fan
05-16-2009, 01:23 PM

I'd like to say that I have lost all respect for the people in the group above, but I had very little respect for them in the first place. (Note: Written without an ounce of sarcasm.)

nmculbreth
05-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Willy Taveras and high OPS should never be used in the same sentance. In the four full years that he's been in the majors, he's managed to OPS over .700 once. His career OPS currently stands at .674. He's the complete antithesis of a high OPS hitter.

Hondo
05-16-2009, 04:23 PM
I hope he steals 80 Bases...

Kingspoint
05-18-2009, 02:37 PM
If they make another "Lost Weekend" movie, Willie Taveras can star in it and it could take place in San Diego. Ofer-San Diego.