PDA

View Full Version : Small Ball

WildcatFan
05-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Maybe it's because I have never really consistently followed a small ball team, but I am finding that watching this style of baseball is way more exciting than watching 2-3 homeruns a game. Hit after hit after hit gets me giddy, and last night I found myself laughing out loud when a Red would bang out another RBI single. It seems like Votto is knocking in Taveras every time I turn the television on.

Would you all rather watch this style or the power style of baseball that we saw with Jr., Dunn, Kearns and Wily Mo?

thorn
05-13-2009, 12:35 AM
If we keep the pitching going, definitely small ball, or what ever you want to call it. I feel like this team is in every game, I feel comfortable with small leads after the 7th, and feel this team will battle to the last out.

WILD THING
05-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Would you all rather watch this style or the power style of baseball that we saw with Jr., Dunn, Kearns and Wily Mo?

I vote this style of baseball. I know you'll always have your off-nights, but I feel like when you're playing this style of baseball, your chances for success are much greater. Waiting for the 3 run shot from Dunn in the 8th to tie or give you the lead is a lot less reliable than stringing together a few singles and using our speed to get some runs.

Ghosts of 1990
05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I like home runs more, but I'll take wins any way I can get them.

Captain Hook
05-13-2009, 01:09 AM
The HRs are still there.The SBs are there but we're not one of the leading SB teams out there.The offense is middle of the pack and will continue to be imo.The defense is improved and is probably above average.There doesn't seem to be anything that we are terrible at and a thing or two that the team does great(pitch and then they pitch some more).

Is this small ball?I don't think so but you can call it what ever you want.I prefer to just say that the Reds are playing winning baseball.

I think that only a major injury to Votto,Bruce,Harang,Cueto or Volquez could derail this team.There is enough dept to overcome injuries but any one of these guys would hurt.Other then that I don't see why this team can't keep winning at their current pace.90 wins is a possibility.

ian_madden
05-13-2009, 03:20 AM
The HRs are still there.The SBs are there but we're not one of the leading SB teams out there.The offense is middle of the pack and will continue to be imo.The defense is improved and is probably above average.There doesn't seem to be anything that we are terrible at and a thing or two that the team does great(pitch and then they pitch some more).

Is this small ball?I don't think so but you can call it what ever you want.I prefer to just say that the Reds are playing winning baseball.

I think that only a major injury to Votto,Bruce,Harang,Cueto or Volquez could derail this team.There is enough dept to overcome injuries but any one of these guys would hurt.Other then that I don't see why this team can't keep winning at their current pace.90 wins is a possibility.

I think that when we are bunting guys over on a regular basis, and going 1st to 3rd on a regular basis, hit and run. like we have, that is small ball. Our leading RBI guy does not have many homeruns, he is getting hits, singles that are clutch. That is small ball in my opinion.

If we win 5 out of 9 games, we will win 90.

bounty37h
05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
I love it! I said something a few years ago that this was the style we needed to be moving towards, that hoping for the long ball every at bat wasnt going to get it done over the course of the season wihtout mixing in more this style play, and someone blasted me for it-wish I could remember who that was!!!!!

cbowen2112
05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
This style is much better, not only fundamentally, but also strategically.
You are not going to hit a home run every AB, but singles are a lot more likely to happen each time. Great base stealing also has me giddy everytime!

Fon Duc Tow
05-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Agreed. This has been a fun year to root for the Reds.

I admit I am a big fan of hustle. Which is why the Griffey Dunn years were so difficult. Even when we were winning, everytime I'd see Junior at bat turn a double into a single or Dunn just be Adam Dunn, I would feel conflicted as a fan.

Scrappiness is contagious too, and this team is scrappy. Most fun Reds team to watch in this century, I am certain of that. Marty and Jeff sound like a couple of schoolkids they are so giddy.

bounty37h
05-13-2009, 04:01 PM
^agreed, this style also rubs off on the players; the hustle, aggressiveness, focus, all positives for a young team like this.