PDA

View Full Version : Whither Edwin?

texasdave
05-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Anyone have any updates on EdE? Is he just resting his wrist at this point in time? Is there rehabilitative therapy involved? Is some sort of surgery a possibility if neither of those approaches work? Is Doc Hollywood being kept as far away as possible from Encarnacion? Is there any chance that this turns into one of the Reds-famous 'day-to-days' that last the rest of the season? I don't have the feeling he is very close to returning and will need to endure a short rehab stint down at AAA. But I don't know. Does anyone?

Several quick follow up questions.

Has Adam Rosales played up to your expectations?
Has AR done enough to stay with the team even when Edwin returns?
If Rosales stays, then who goes?

Feel free to opine.

Jefferson24
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Rosales should stay until he gives them a darn good reason to stop playing him everyday. EE gave them a darn good reason to stop playing him everyday yet Dusty would keep running him back out there. I think I'm comfortable with Rosales at this time.

schmidty622
05-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I haven't heard anything on Edwin's status. I would guess he is in rest mode and will be doing some rehab games here in a week or so.

As far a Rosales goes; I think that he is the classic Freel/Keppinger type player. He's gonna have his hot streaks but I don't think he's has the overall talent to be a starter for a full year. He's best suited as a 250-300 AB guy who can step in and start a few games need be.

mroby85
05-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Rosales should stay until he gives them a darn good reason to stop playing him everyday. EE gave them a darn good reason to stop playing him everyday yet Dusty would keep running him back out there. I think I'm comfortable with Rosales at this time.

X2 If he's streaky and burns out, how would that make him any less suitable than Edwin?

Hondo
05-13-2009, 12:33 PM
I like Rosales out there... He just looks like he belongs... When EE comes back... It wouldn't be so bad to play him in left to keep him off of 3rd base... But I would prefer to Trade him for a Starting Pitcher.

BigJohn
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Pull your socks down, Goober!

I love the kid but I yell the above at the TV every time I see him!

At least I am not yelling, "Quit Pouting"!

bounty37h
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Keep the socks up buddy, you look like a ballplayer, I hate the newer style of pants all the way down to the cleats, I saw a player trip on his own pants a couple weeks ago!!!!

Griffey012
05-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I like Rosales out there... He just looks like he belongs... When EE comes back... It wouldn't be so bad to play him in left to keep him off of 3rd base... But I would prefer to Trade him for a Starting Pitcher.

For a starting pitcher for the Lousiville Bats? We have no one to pull from to rotation right now. I say we let EdE come back, as long as AR is hitting like he is he plays. Maybe not being handed the 3rd base job year in and year out will light a fire under EdE.

schmidty622
05-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Pull your socks down, Goober!

I love the kid but I yell the above at the TV every time I see him!

At least I am not yelling, "Quit Pouting"!

High Socks = Base Knocks

PedroBourbon
05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I feel that EE has not really improved enough into the quality player that the Reds had expected of him over several years now. We're not talking about a second or third year player. Yes he comes through with some timely hits and can hit for power on occasion. I think he has been around too long and will never be better than an "average" 3Bman. I've always thought his inconsistant hitting/batting average and throwing errors make him replaceable. I like Rosales, hope he keeps up his good start and his goofy socks.

Hondo
05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
For a starting pitcher for the Lousiville Bats? We have no one to pull from to rotation right now. I say we let EdE come back, as long as AR is hitting like he is he plays. Maybe not being handed the 3rd base job year in and year out will light a fire under EdE.

You must think he has little to No Trade Value... A lot of people thought that Jeff Keppinger was this Great Hitter and was a valuable commodity...

We all saw what we got for him... Minor league SS... Drew whatever...

Just wanted to remind people the Jeff Keppinger wasn't a starter...

But I do think that Edwin has some Trade Value as a piece to a Bigger Trade.

ian_madden
05-13-2009, 06:42 PM
I think that Rosales is the starter till Ede gets back. Then Ede has to prove he can hit and field the ball. If not, Ede is the pinch hitter. You have to lead by example. He was a poor example thus far.

zacharync
05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
I for one hope he gets a rehab stint with the Bats. I am going to see them play this Friday in Durham. Any chance he will be in town?

bounty37h
05-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Zach-went to the Bulls game last night and didnt see any sign of him being with L-ville last night, doubt anything happens by tomorrow at this point. You go to a lot of Bulls games? Havent seen ya on here before, but liking how many NC people I am seeing on here!

zacharync
05-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the update bounty. I get to as many Bulls game as possible. Beautiful park don't you think? I wish the Mudcats didn't play in Zebulon, otherwise I would be checking the future Reds out on a regular basis. Heres to Reds fans in the great north state!

How did Homer look last night?

bounty37h
05-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I still like the old Bulls park better, had better baseball crowds, wasnt just the hip thing to do as it is now. But yeah, it is a very nice stadium overall, have you done a tour of it yet? Concessions stink IMO, lot of room to improve that, and they do too much kid/family stuff for my taste (do they really need spongebob every other night??), not enough for just the regular baseball fan. I wish Zeb was closer, I went to the exhibition game, but havent been back out since then-was thinking of going Sunday for autograph day, but not sure if I wil lor not....
When you going back to the Bulls? Do you go to any of the USA games?

zacharync
05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I agree with you for the most part about the original DAP. Unfortunately I only have the vaguest memories of going there as I was only 9 or 10 when they built the new park. I do however have some autographed balls from some of those Bulls teams in the early nineties. Back then if you had a b-day party there you got a signed ball by the team. Javy Lopez and Grady Little were the highlights. Funny personal story though about the DAP. I played baseball for Durham School of the Arts and we played our home games at the DAP. Needless to say that was a pretty cool experience. To think of the players (and actors) to have graced that field. Who do you remember seeing play back in the DAP days?

I too was out at 5 County for the exhibition game. The Reds performance that night couldn’t be any less emblematic of what this team has shown during the regular season. I haven’t been out to any team USA games yet. I should though. How is the quality of play?

bounty37h
05-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Do you remember hearing about 2 kids running across the tarp and sliding during a rain delay the last season at the old DBAP, Joe Morgan was there that night, well, that was me :). And when I graduated college and moved back home, I was @ 4 blocks from the old stadium. I swear I can still feel, smell, hear that stadiums special qualities: the water running down the wall by the mens bathroom on the 1'st base side, etc, the same ol voices, old speaker system, easy access to players.....
My first memory was my first auto as a kid in the early/mid 80's, my dad told me to go get this old guys auto who was standing by the field, so I ran down ther,e but he had gone in teh dugout, so I chased him in there to many peoples dismay, a 9 or 10 year old walking right in like he beleoinged and asked for hsi auto, it was Luke Appling.
I saw Doc Gooden, Straw play there, hmm, pretty much all the Braves that came up from 82 on...cant recall offhnad many others without thought.
I too went to camps every summer, and did the bday party thing, had those balls too, although long lost now. I also played a wood bat league that played htere. I was one of the extras in Bull Durha,m although never have seen myslef in the acutal movie-but was in the money drop scene for filming-I rememebr it being sooooo cold out there!!!!
You went ot DSA, I was a bartender at satisfactions, almost right across the street, from 00-04/5'ish, lots of your school kids came over at lunchtime....

bounty37h
05-14-2009, 04:33 PM
I agree with you for the most part about the original DAP. Unfortunately I only have the vaguest memories of going there as I was only 9 or 10 when they built the new park. I do however have some autographed balls from some of those Bulls teams in the early nineties. Back then if you had a b-day party there you got a signed ball by the team. Javy Lopez and Grady Little were the highlights. Funny personal story though about the DAP. I played baseball for Durham School of the Arts and we played our home games at the DAP. Needless to say that was a pretty cool experience. To think of the players (and actors) to have graced that field. Who do you remember seeing play back in the DAP days?

I too was out at 5 County for the exhibition game. The Reds performance that night couldn’t be any less emblematic of what this team has shown during the regular season. I haven’t been out to any team USA games yet. I should though. How is the quality of play?

Sorry, forgot the last #, I love the USA games, small crowds, good ball (saw Strasburg last year), player interaction, and seeing the other cultures teams playing and styles of play, as well as fans invovlement, etc....

texasdave
05-24-2009, 06:13 PM
BUMP! Any news on Edwin? In this case no news is bad news. How close is this young man to coming back?

zacharync
05-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Good question. I was pleased to see him in the dugout all weekend though. I hope that is a good sign. Anyone know if he has been taking BP?

Newman4
05-24-2009, 10:47 PM
ESPN has that he is "a couple weeks away"

I'm not ready to give up on Edwin just yet. He has averaged .800+ OPS over the last 3 seasons and is 26. I think his best years are still ahead of him.

BurgervilleBuck
05-24-2009, 10:58 PM
I think his best years are still ahead of him.

:bang:

reds1869
05-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Edwin may be the classic "needs a change of scenery" type of player. I would be more than happy to see him traded for a decent prospect, or as a piece of a bigger trade. He would have some value to a contender for providing pop off the bench, but don't fool yourselves into thinking he will bring a big return. EE is a slightly above average major leaguer and there is nothing wrong with that, but Reds fans need to realize that if we see holes in his game everyone else does too...he will bring only a modest amount in a deadline deal.

texasdave
05-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Bump. Found this on CBS Sports.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/392294

Encarnacion to take BP soon: Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion plans to accompany the team to Milwaukee for a weekend series and take batting practice for the first time since he broke his left wrist April 27. Encarnacion chipped a bone on a swing. There's no timetable for his return. He resumed playing catch this week. "It felt great. No problems," Encarnacion said Wednesday. The wrist had been sore since spring training, limiting him at the plate. Encarnacion is batting .127 and was in a 1-for-28 slump when he struck out in the ninth inning of a 4-1 loss to Houston, hurting the wrist on his last swing. He had hoped to be back before the end of May. "I never expected it to take this long," he said.

Good news. Light at the end of the tunnel.

Roush's socks
05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I think if you take a step back and look at this, EE is a better hitter than Rosales and if is healthy he could wind up being one of the 3 best hitters on this team. The Reds are paying him and they will see what he can deliver. His long term future in Cincy is a big ?