PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Werth

remdog
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
How many of you saw the three stolen bases in an inning, including Home Plate? Just a spectacular and highly unusual performance by a guy that you wouldn't normally think would/could do that.

Heck, Willy Tavaras thinks he can steal 100 bases this year but he hasn't come close to anything like what Werth did last night.

A couple of years ago, when the Dodgers moved him, I was hopefull that the Reds would pick him up. Didn't happen, obviously, but how good would he look in the 5 or 6 slot (.295/.395/.562/.957)? BTW, those numbers aren't far off of his numbers since he went to Philly, he plays a very good OF, great arm and only cost about $2.5M.

Note: He's the first Philly to steal 3 bases in an inning since Pete Rose.

Rem

RedsManRick
05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I thought the steal of home plate was inspired. Frankly, I'm surprised we don't see more of that opportunistic base advancement which takes advantage of player's routines. We saw Phillips turn a single in to a double because of a lazy/poor throw from Byrnes the other night. Werth stole home because nobody was watching him and Martin tossed the ball back to the pitcher too casually. Sure, I wouldn't want my guys running wild and creating outs, but I'd love to see more of that type of heads up baserunning.

Very few guys have the technique and the raw speed to steal bags when everybody is watching for it. Most guys have enough speed to acquire extra bases through smart, active baserunning.

remdog
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I thought the steal of home plate was inspired. Frankly, I'm surprised we don't see more of that opportunistic base advancement which takes advantage of player's routines. We saw Phillips turn a single in to a double because of a lazy/poor throw from Byrnes the other night. Werth stole home because nobody was watching him and Martin tossed the ball back to the pitcher too casually. Sure, I wouldn't want my guys running wild and creating outs, but I'd love to see more of that type of heads up baserunning.

Very few guys have the technique and the raw speed to steal bags when everybody is watching for it. Most guys have enough speed to acquire extra bases through smart, active baserunning.

Very good points. Maybe it's something that coaches and managers might focus on a little more. Any little edge....might just win you a ballgame.

Rem

HeatherC1212
05-13-2009, 03:11 PM
He's on my fantasy team and he's been a pleasant surprise for me this year. That steal of home yesterday was really cool. :)

_Sir_Charles_
05-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I've seen steals of home before....but NEVER quite like that. On the throw BACK to the pitcher? Classic and simply a beautiful heads up play. Notice how the hitter is blocking the catcher's view of Werth. Really heads up play. Reminded me of the 1st to 3rd steal by Phillips during the switch. In regards to a smart play.

For those interested, here's the Phillips' double steal link. Just click the "watch" icon to the right.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070801&content_id=2124299&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

RichRed
05-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I'd like to see more of it too but I wouldn't try it on Russell Martin again. My guess is he'll be watching runners on 3rd base like a hawk from now on.

Chip R
05-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I've seen steals of home before....but NEVER quite like that. On the throw BACK to the pitcher? Classic and simply a beautiful heads up play. Notice how the hitter is blocking the catcher's view of Werth. Really heads up play. Reminded me of the 1st to 3rd steal by Phillips during the switch. In regards to a smart play.

I'm a little surprised guys don't steal 2nd or 3rd more often when the catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher.

traderumor
05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
I saw that happen just the other night...in a little league game. :p:

*BaseClogger*
05-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm surprised smart baserunners don't take advantage of the delayed steal more often. If Werth can steal home on it, surely others can take second base...

durl
05-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I thought that steal was pretty amazing. It's definitely one of those plays where you'll either be called dumb or a genius.

The Reds have used that same type of "surprise" move several times this year where they're catching the opponents sleeping.

- Phillips going from 1st to 3rd on that single the other night and the time Hatcher sending Volquez(?) to 2nd when he saw that time wasn't called.

- I'll also put the pickoff attempts at 1B when Phillips comes over to catch the guy on 1st napping because Votto is up in the grass.

MississippiRed
05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
. . .

This is a good point. When I was coaching my son, we had a catcher who would do this all the time (delayed steal). He was by far the slowest player on our team. The other catcher would ignore him, lob the ball to the pitcher, and he'd be gone.

Big Klu
05-14-2009, 07:40 AM
I thought that steal was pretty amazing. It's definitely one of those plays where you'll either be called dumb or a genius.

The Reds have used that same type of "surprise" move several times this year where they're catching the opponents sleeping.

- Phillips going from 1st to 3rd on that single the other night and the time Hatcher sending Volquez(?) to 2nd when he saw that time wasn't called.

- I'll also put the pickoff attempts at 1B when Phillips comes over to catch the guy on 1st napping because Votto is up in the grass.

It was Cueto. :)