PDA

View Full Version : Bill Bray to undergo Tommy John surgery

OnBaseMachine
05-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Per Lance's blog:

Things I'm told

Reds reliever Bill Bray will return to Cincinnati next week for Tommy John surgery.

He's been on the DL since April 6 with an elbow strain. He's currently in Sarasota where he was attempting to rehab the elbow. He appeared in three games for AAA Louisville this year.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

It's a shame that Bill Bray has never been able to stay healthy. He's got the stuff to be a top notch left handed reliever but injuries have held him back.

cumberlandreds
05-14-2009, 11:11 AM
The Reds hit the daily double on that trade. Majewski was hurt when they got him and now Bray.

RANDY IN INDY
05-14-2009, 11:12 AM
He's never been right. Hopefully, he comes back from the surgery, stronger, as a lot of guys do, now days.

OnBaseMachine
05-14-2009, 11:14 AM
The Reds hit the daily double on that trade. Majewski was hurt when they got him and now Bray.

Yep. I hated the trade when it first went down, then as time went on I tried to convince myself it wasn't as bad as everyone thought. I was wrong. Overall, I thought Wayne Krivsky did a nice job during his Reds tenure, but the trade was clearly his biggest mistake.

Roy Tucker
05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm not a doctor nor have I played one on TV nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night....

But why the heck did it take the Reds medical staff so long to figure this out? The guy hasn't been right since they got him.

Johnny Footstool
05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Yep. I hated the trade when it first went down, then as time went on I tried to convince myself it wasn't as bad as everyone thought. I was wrong. Overall, I thought Wayne Krivsky did a nice job during his Reds tenure, but the trade was clearly his biggest mistake.

Lopez and Kearns were and are still the best players involved in the trade. Unfortunately, that's not saying much.

However, Lopez appears to have made an adjustment after getting shipped to St. Louis last season, and it's carrying over to this season.

mbgrayson
05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
I think it turns out that each GM knew that their own players had serious warts, and overall, neither team really came out ahead.

Reds gave up:
1.Ryan Wagner. He still is languishing in AAA Syrause with a 5.74 ERA this year.
2. Austin Kearns. Austin turns 29 this month, and should be in his peak years. His salary this year is $8 million dollars, and he would have been a free agent if the Reds had kept him. He is batting .229/.373/.446 for an OPS of .818 in 2009. In 2008, he had a .627 OPS over 86 games, and in 2007 he had an OPS of .765 over 161 games.
3. Felipe Lopez. Now with Arizona, Felipe was released by the Nationals in July of 2008. He was making about $5 million last year, and the Reds could have had him back then if they wanted him. His stats: 2007 with Washington: .245/.308/.352 for an OPS of .659. In 2008, with Washington, .234/.305/.314 for an OPS of .619. Since leaving Washington, he is hitting much better.

Reds obtained in return:
1. Royce Clayton. Now out of baseball, he hit .235/.290/.329 for an OPS of .619 after coming to the Reds in 2006. He was a free agent after 2006, and he signed for one last year with Toronto in 2007.
2. Gary Majewski. Released by the Reds, and currently on the Phillies AAA team. All the stats you need to see are his Reds ERA numbers: 2006-8.40 2007-8.22 2008-6.52.
3. Bill Bray. See above. Reds ERA numbers: 2006-4.23. 2007-6.28. 2008-2.87. Bray will turn 26 in June.
4. Brendan Harris. Sent to Tampa Bay in January 2007, the Reds basically got nothing for him. He is playing second for the Twins this season, and is batting .309/.360/.441 for an OPS of .801 over the first 24 games he has played.
5. Daryl Thompson. After a nice recovery including coming all the way up to the Reds last year, Thompson is struggling in Louisville with a 6.33 ERA this season. He has only 7 Ks in 21.2 innings...

Certainly not a lot of direct impact. Remember that part of the indirect effect of trading Kearns was to make room for young outfielders like Jay Bruce, and then a Rule 5 pickup named Hamilton, who was traded for Edinson Volquez. Letting Harris go for nothing was likely a bigger mistake than anything else here.

lollipopcurve
05-14-2009, 12:08 PM
60-day DL for Bray is going to open a spot on the 40-man roster, which is desperately needed.

Agree with those saying this could be good for down the road -- Bray needs a rebuild.

redsmetz
05-14-2009, 12:14 PM
60-day DL for Bray is going to open a spot on the 40-man roster, which is desperately needed.

Agree with those saying this could be good for down the road -- Bray needs a rebuild.

Bray will turn 26 in early June, so he still has time to come back from the surgery and give the Reds some value. What's the timetable for TJ surgery these days?

thatcoolguy_22
05-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Wow! I was really hoping to see him back in the Queen City this year. Hopefully Kremchik stays sober the night before...

rotnoid
05-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Bray will turn 26 in early June, so he still has time to come back from the surgery and give the Reds some value. What's the timetable for TJ surgery these days?

Not sure, but it's typically faster for relievers isn't it?

LoganBuck
05-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Not sure, but it's typically faster for relievers isn't it?

I would think that he might be ready for spring training. Definitely by next may/june.

REDREAD
05-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not a doctor nor have I played one on TV nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night....

But why the heck did it take the Reds medical staff so long to figure this out? The guy hasn't been right since they got him.

That's been one of the biggest mysteries to me. It's not just Bray either.
From Jr's hamstrings to Kearns' "blister", the Reds seem very poor at catching injuries early. The attitude seems to "let the guy play until he really hurts himself badly".

Kc61
05-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I guess you guys know when Bray got hurt and when his need for surgery arose. And when it was diagnosed. I don't.

Reds1
05-14-2009, 02:44 PM
What a trade! Alot of potential that really has amounted to nothing for both sides. I say the Reds won because they ultimately saved money droping Lopez and Kearns. We still have a shot to get something with Ramirez, but really it was a salary swap. The ol addition by subtraction trade!

pahster
05-14-2009, 02:47 PM
What a trade! Alot of potential that really has amounted to nothing for both sides. I say the Reds won because they ultimately saved money droping Lopez and Kearns. We still have a shot to get something with Ramirez, but really it was a salary swap. The ol addition by subtraction trade!

He's not in the Reds organization anymore and wasn't involved in The Trade.

Ltlabner
05-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I like this kid, but man is he fragile.

Gallen5862
05-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Do the Reds put Bray on 60 day DL in order to create a roster spot for another move? Maybe the Reds claim someone off waivers and put them on the 40 Man roster?

LvJ
05-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I really thought Ryan Wagner was going to be quite good.

LoganBuck
05-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Do the Reds put Bray on 60 day DL in order to create a roster spot for another move? Maybe the Reds claim someone off waivers and put them on the 40 Man roster?

Aaron Crow!!!

redsmetz
05-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Certainly they'll ultimately move him to the 60 day DL and have the spot free. What corresponding move they make is hard to say.

traderumor
05-14-2009, 03:50 PM
If Bray still has the same delivery that wrecked his elbow, one surgery probably won't save his career.

Degenerate39
05-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Who will they put on the 40 man roster?

Joseph
05-14-2009, 05:18 PM

I was there for his big league debut against the Astros. We were on the sunny side of GABP and really just miserable that day. We'd gotten up to leave the game when he came in and I made everyone with me stay and watch. I was sure he was going to be really good, a dominant closer in time.

They still make fun of me when I tout prospects as a result.

Handofdeath
05-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Who will they put on the 40 man roster?

My guesses would be Hopper, Stubbs, or Pedro Viola.

TRF
05-14-2009, 05:46 PM
too soon for Stubbs. Don't know why, but I thought Viola was on the 40 man. My guess is Gomes. He might not be the RH power bat the Reds need, but he is the one they have.

Reds1
05-14-2009, 07:01 PM
He's not in the Reds organization anymore and wasn't involved in The Trade.

well then like I said it was a salary dump and we still got the best of the trade IMO

OnBaseMachine
05-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Bray returns to have elbow examined
Posted by JohnFay at 5/14/2009 6:47 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Left-hander Bill Bray, on the Louisville disabled list, is on his way back to Cincinnati have his elbow examined by Dr. Tim Kremchek. Bray had been rehabbing in Sarasota. He felt pain when throwing off the mound.

"Tommy John" surgery is a possibility. The Reds probably won't made a call until this weekend.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a5e78e6c4-9e8e-421c-9882-be98a4a2d2e4&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

IslandRed
05-14-2009, 07:45 PM

I'm sure they'll 60-day him when they need the spot, but probably not before then.

LvJ
05-14-2009, 07:50 PM
I was there for his big league debut against the Astros. We were on the sunny side of GABP and really just miserable that day. We'd gotten up to leave the game when he came in and I made everyone with me stay and watch. I was sure he was going to be really good, a dominant closer in time.

They still make fun of me when I tout prospects as a result. You? I said Kearns was going to be a .300 AVG, 100 BB, 30 Homer guy :bowrofl:

Now I refuse to acknowledge production til' the player retires. ;)

Raisor
05-14-2009, 07:50 PM

if he was going to crash and burn anyway, I wish the Reds would have tried to convert him to a starter after they drafted him.

Drafting a relief pitcher in the first round alway seemed a little strange to me. Then they brought him up to the majors after something like 11 IP.

Recipe for disaster.

Strikes Out Looking
05-14-2009, 07:54 PM
if he was going to crash and burn anyway, I wish the Reds would have tried to convert him to a starter after they drafted him.

Drafting a relief pitcher in the first round alway seemed a little strange to me. Then they brought him up to the majors after something like 11 IP.

Recipe for disaster.

Jim Bowden wrote a cookbook full of recipe's for disaster, this was just one of many.

Mario-Rijo
05-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Geez I hate to hear that he is in my mind a good piece to the puzzle. I hope they now put Viola on the 40 I'd like to see him up here sometime this season. Gomes I could also see but it's not necessary with him because sooner or later McDonald will wear out his welcome and be DFA.

Unassisted
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Should be right on track for a Spring Training return.

LINEDRIVER
09-03-2009, 01:12 PM
If Bray still has the same delivery that wrecked his elbow, one surgery probably won't save his career.

Does that go for Volquez, too???

camisadelgolf
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
An update on The Trade:

Nationals
1.Ryan Wagner retired
2. Austin Kearns is frequently mentioned in lists of 'worst contracts in baseball'; has a 91 OPS+ as a National
3. Felipe Lopez has put up decent offensive numbers since leaving Washington but his defense still leaves plenty to be desired despite a move off of shortstop; continues to be an overpaid utility player

Reds
1. Royce Clayton retired
2. Gary Majewski one of the worst Reds in recent memory; currently toiling for the Phillies' AAA club
3. Bill Bray had Tommy John surgery; should be ready for 2010
4. Brendan Harris provides mediocre offense with mediocre defense to make him a dime-a-dozen utility player that will soon be overpaid as he heads toward arbitration
5. Daryl Thompson was the organization's minor league pitcher of the year in 2008 but has struggled with injuries in 2009; is a prime candidate to break out in 2010

All in all, the Reds seem to have made an addition through subtraction, and if Bill Bray and/or Daryl Thompson ever amount to anything, they are the clear winners of the trade.

Highlifeman21
09-03-2009, 01:17 PM

I wanted to believe the same, but his delivery/mechanics (especially when throwing his slider) frightened me.

Bumstead
09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Felipe Lopez has almost 1100 plate appearances the last couple of years. He's hardly a utility player. 2008 OPS - .730 and 2009 OPS - .796. He's actually still pretty effective with the bat. I believe he is on a 1-year contract this year...how bad could it be? He's by far the best player from that trade. Not arguing the validity of the trade just the downgrading of Lopez as a player. He's proven to be versatile and has made a nice comeback with the bat the last 2 years.

Bum

Bumstead
09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
My opinion is that it turned out to be a worthless trade and nobody won anything on it. The Reds got nothing and really neither did Washington. I'll believe Thompson breakout (or did you mean breakdown) when I see it.

Bum

camisadelgolf
09-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Felipe Lopez has almost 1100 plate appearances the last couple of years. He's hardly a utility player. 2008 OPS - .730 and 2009 OPS - .796. He's actually still pretty effective with the bat. I believe he is on a 1-year contract this year...how bad could it be? He's by far the best player from that trade. Not arguing the validity of the trade just the downgrading of Lopez as a player. He's proven to be versatile and has made a nice comeback with the bat the last 2 years.

Bum

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS HBP SF
493 2083 1866 246 518 96 13 25 164 59 28 177 337 .278 .339 .383 .722 11 13
Perhaps I'm being a little harsh, but since Lopez left the Reds, he has had a .722 OPS, been caught stealing 32.2% of the time, and played below-average defense. 2009 marks only the second time in his career that he has had an OPS+ of 93 or better. Meanwhile, he has been paid over $4mm per season since the trade. If he's your starting second baseman, he's a liability imo.

bucksfan2
09-03-2009, 02:13 PM
IMO Lopez has been a quality player ever since he got out of Washington. He is a good player to have as the first guy off the bench. He can play 2b, SS, 3b, OF, and is a PH. You many not like his defense at SS but I would much rather have had Lopez than JHJ.

Bumstead
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM
He's done a fine job since he got out of WAS. I imagine MIL will try to re-sign him. In all likelihood, he will be a starting 2B for somebody next year. The rest of those players will likely be watching everyone else play...He's going to pick up his 1000th hit here in the next week or so; nice little career he's carved out for himself.

Bill Bray and Darrel Thompson...I'm not sure why anyone expects anything from these players.

Bum

LINEDRIVER
09-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Felipe wasn't in Milwaukee long before he had two separate chats with mgr Ken Macha regarding mental lapses in the field and the need to hustle from home plate to first base.

In one game, he let a couple of grounders go by at 2B without giving much effort and later dropped a ball that cost the Brewers' that game. He was heavily booed the next day when the lineup was announced. In another game, he jogged down to first base on a groundball.

I was watching a Brewers game on TV about 2 weeks ago and the announcers were discussing the Macha/Lopez chats while Felipe was in the batter's box. Within seconds, Lopez hit a liner down the RF line. The ball was foul by inches. Inches...not feet. Lopez watched the ball hit foul territory WHILE STANDING IN THE BATTER'S BOX!!! The announcers were all over him.

In his Cincinnati days, he had a problem with sleeping late and then being tardy for batting practice.

fearofpopvol1
09-03-2009, 11:54 PM
i think this ship has (or is going to) sailed from the queen city...

mth123
09-04-2009, 06:31 AM
IMO Lopez has been a quality player ever since he got out of Washington. He is a good player to have as the first guy off the bench. He can play 2b, SS, 3b, OF, and is a PH. You many not like his defense at SS but I would much rather have had Lopez than JHJ.

I've always thought that Lopez would be an ideal supersub along the lines of Tony Phillips.