PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers call up Milton

remdog
05-14-2009, 09:31 PM
From the AP:

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -Eric Milton is heading back to the big leagues after a nearly two-year absence.
The Los Angeles Dodgers purchased the contract of the veteran left-hander from Triple-A Albuquerque after their 5-3, 10-inning win over the Phillies on Thursday.

Milton will start Saturday against the Florida Marlins in place of Jeff Weaver. The Dodgers optioned right-hander James McDonald (1-1, 6.75 ERA) to their Pacific Coast League club.

The 33-year-old Milton hasn't pitched in the majors since elbow ligament replacement surgery in 2007. The former All-Star is 3-2 with a 2.83 ERA in seven minor league starts. Milton has an 87-84 record in 10 major league seasons, including a no-hitter for Minnesota in 1999 against the Angels.

Rem

AmarilloRed
05-14-2009, 09:33 PM
I wasn't even aware he was in the minor leagues. I thought he was still a free agent.

Razor Shines
05-15-2009, 12:21 AM
If his knee is healthy I think he can help the Dodgers.

Blitz Dorsey
05-15-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't know why I hate Eric Milton so much. It's not his fault the Reds (Dan O'Brien) offered him the worst contract in team history. What was he supposed to say? "No, please don't offer me this 3-year, $25.5 million deal, I stink too much." ???

That said, I hope he invested all his money in satellite radio or something like that.

Ron Madden
05-15-2009, 06:09 AM
If his knee is healthy I think he can help the Dodgers.

From everything I've ever read or been told Miltons Knee will never get any better. I'm sure the Dodgers have a few younger guys with better stuff right now, but many scouts, GMs and Managers are afraid to give a kid a chance over a "Seasoned Vet".

Razor Shines
05-15-2009, 06:28 AM
From everything I've ever read or been told Miltons Knee will never get any better. I'm sure the Dodgers have a few younger guys with better stuff right now, but many scouts, GMs and Managers are afraid to give a kid a chance over a "Seasoned Vet".

Yeah, probably not, but I hope it does. My baseball injury history followed his pattern. Destroyed my knee my senior year of high school, got it repaired tried to pitch in college but my knee still hurt so I put less pressure on my legs and more on my arm and destroyed my elbow. So for some silly reason I've felt a connection to him and always hoped he'd get healthy. But knowing what I know about my knee you're probably right.

UKFlounder
05-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Perhaps you don't hate him for his contract, but, rather, for his performance or lack thereof. Don't blame him for taking the contract, but he was the one responsible for how he pitched, which was not good for any sized contract.

I don't know why I hate Eric Milton so much. It's not his fault the Reds (Dan O'Brien) offered him the worst contract in team history. What was he supposed to say? "No, please don't offer me this 3-year, $25.5 million deal, I stink too much." ???

That said, I hope he invested all his money in satellite radio or something like that.

Strikes Out Looking
05-15-2009, 07:55 AM
I heard someone on fantasy focus talking about him yesterday. They'd seen him pitch in Albequerque and said he was the same Milton but had lost some speed on his pitches. Fortunately for him, he's pitching in Dodger stadium instead of the GABP.

Caveat Emperor
05-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Fortunately for him, he's pitching in Dodger stadium instead of the GABP.

Which means his home run balls will only reach the first 10 rows of seats, as opposed to anywhere in the outfield deck.

CarolinaRedleg
05-15-2009, 08:11 AM
I hope he's still with the Dodgers when the Reds make the dreaded West Coast Roadie. If there's ever been a perfect storm of "due," it's the Reds in Dodger Stadium. I believe Uncle Miltie pitching for L.A. only helps that cause.

redsmetz
05-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Most of the comments in this thread seem like a lot of the "same old same old". The Dodgers aren't dummies and frankly, looking at Albuquerque's staff, Milton had good numbers, among the best of the staff. I've always liked Milton's candor. He took his failure and owned up to it. I saw him pitch probably his best game as a Red in Milwaukee and if he's got anything left (and I fully understand why folks believe he doesn't), then good luck to him, except when he pitches against us.

Past history would indicate that he'll look like the second coming of Cy Young when he faces us, but I'm hoping that ignominous fact collides with the seriously good karma currently traveling with our club this season.

But again, I doubt the Dodgers management or Joe Torre are having the "vet love" that is the knee jerk reaction too often on RZ.

flyer85
05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Milton was bad as a Red and was just an awful fit for GABP. His extreme FB tendencies certainly would have played better in a pitchers park(like Dodger stadium) but I wouldn't expect much. The year that Milton was on the market was an awful year for free agent pitching and DanO had money burning a hole in his pocket and wasn't smart enough to just walk away.

traderumor
05-15-2009, 09:21 AM
From everything I've ever read or been told Miltons Knee will never get any better. I'm sure the Dodgers have a few younger guys with better stuff right now, but many scouts, GMs and Managers are afraid to give a kid a chance over a "Seasoned Vet".I expect the Dodgers want to keep the more talented kids developing instead of bringing them up for spot starting. That is usually the reasoning given. I'm just glad its a team other than the Reds.

bucksfan2
05-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I expect the Dodgers want to keep the more talented kids developing instead of bringing them up for spot starting. That is usually the reasoning given. I'm just glad its a team other than the Reds.

Its really the reason that a journeyman is kept in the AAA rotation. He is there for a spot start or the glorified 6th starter.

Vada Pinson Fan
05-15-2009, 09:45 AM
I saw the name "Milton" on the Dodgers when I was looking at the Fantasy Baseball Pitching matchups for this week and I thought- "That can't be the Milton I remember with the Reds, could it?" And sure enough there he is getting ready to pitch for a team traditionally known for its outstanding pitching. The Dodgers and Eric Milton? Hmmmm, never would have guessed or even imagined a team like the Dodgers would ever have a need for Eric Milton.
No grudges. I wish him well.

Chip R
05-15-2009, 11:18 AM
No way the Dodgers don't win it all now. Milton and Castro together again? Vegas just took them off the board.

OnBaseMachine
05-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Chip, have you converted to a Mets fan yet? The Mets signed Javy Valentin today...

TIME FOR TIM: Tim Redding will be the next to try to fill Oliver Perez's vacated spot in the rotation, a source told the Daily News. Redding should be activated from the disabled list for Monday's series opener at Dodger Stadium. ... The Mets have signed catcher Javier Valentin, Jose's brother, and lefthander Tom Martin and are expected to assign both to Triple-A Buffalo.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/05/14/2009-05-14_delgado_putz_out_reyes_sits.html

Chip R
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Chip, have you converted to a Mets fan yet? The Mets signed Javy Valentin today...

TIME FOR TIM: Tim Redding will be the next to try to fill Oliver Perez's vacated spot in the rotation, a source told the Daily News. Redding should be activated from the disabled list for Monday's series opener at Dodger Stadium. ... The Mets have signed catcher Javier Valentin, Jose's brother, and lefthander Tom Martin and are expected to assign both to Triple-A Buffalo.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/05/14/2009-05-14_delgado_putz_out_reyes_sits.html

Buffalo may now draw more fans than anyone - especially female fans.

mth123
05-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Milton never dogged it and wanted to do well as much as anyone. I hope he has good success and has a nice little late career resurrection. Any hate should be directed at Lindner for giving the ill advised order and not Milton.

Joseph
05-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Good luck to him.

Always Red
05-15-2009, 08:32 PM
The world is truly upside down these days.

Ron Madden
05-16-2009, 03:09 AM
Yeah, probably not, but I hope it does. My baseball injury history followed his pattern. Destroyed my knee my senior year of high school, got it repaired tried to pitch in college but my knee still hurt so I put less pressure on my legs and more on my arm and destroyed my elbow. So for some silly reason I've felt a connection to him and always hoped he'd get healthy. But knowing what I know about my knee you're probably right.

I'm sorry to hear about your Knee Razor, I know the feeling.

I have nothing against Eric Milton, like with all ex Reds I wish him well.

You and I both know a player has to have strong legs in order to hit, run, or pitch. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather give a younger healthy kid with good stuff a shot.

mbgrayson
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
After three innings in Florida, Milton has given up two runs, both earned, two hits, four walks, and struck out three. He has already thrown 73 pitches.

thatcoolguy_22
05-16-2009, 07:44 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players_l/20090407/5944.jpg?x=65&y=85&xc=1&yc=1&wc=164&hc=215&q=100&sig=FxWBJAgvJ.O7W_VzkCEmYg--

Look at that mug shot... He reminds me of Tyrone Biggums from the Chappelle show :)

thatcoolguy_22
05-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Milton's final line: 4IP 2H 2R 2ER 4BB 3K

Welcome back to the majors.

klw
07-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Back surgery for Milton. Season likely over for him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4328732&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Sea Ray
07-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Back surgery for Milton. Season likely over for him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4328732&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

James McDonald, Eric Stults and Jason Schmidt are the top candidates to replace Milton in the rotation, the Times reported.

Jason Schmidt's still around?