PDA

View Full Version : Double trouble for USC

cincrazy
05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11746214

There have been dirtier college football programs. Southern Methodist with its Pony Expre$$ comes to mind. Oklahoma and all the hell that was breaking loose under Barry Switzer. Almost any of the schools coached by Jackie Sherrill.

There have been dirtier college basketball programs. Kentucky in the late 1980s with bulging Emery envelopes and bogus SAT test scores. California with Todd Bozeman. Baylor and that serpent, Dave Bliss.

But there has never been a dirtier combination of college football and college basketball programs, at the same time, than the Southern California Trojans.

What era of USC football and basketball?

This era.

The latest dagger, but probably not the last, came this week when Yahoo! Sports and then the Los Angeles Times reported that the basketball coach at USC, Tim Floyd, has been accused -- on the record, in interviews with federal and even NCAA officials -- of paying off an associate of former USC star O.J. Mayo.

That follows accusations that Mayo and his friend, Rodney Guillory, had received hundreds of thousands of dollars in goods and services from the sports agency that would go on to represent Mayo briefly after he turned pro as a freshman in 2008.

A large and vocal segment of the USC fan base will refuse to believe the latest charge against Floyd, and attack everyone who does believe it, because that's what fans do. They believe the worst in other programs, but they believe the best in their own. And that's fine. Do your thing, USC fans. But you won't mind if we laugh at you for it, right?

Meanwhile, the USC football team already has been accused of looking the other way while its Heisman Trophy winner from 2005, Reggie Bush, was getting hundreds of thousands of dollars in inducements from a sports marketing agent -- an agent, it should be noted, who was allowed onto the sidelines at home games by the USC athletic department.

This is bad stuff. The USC football team won national championships in 2003 and '04 and has finished in the top four every other year from 2002-08. Accusations like the ones against Bush -- made on the record, by the way, by a former friend of Bush -- call into question the entire dynasty. If the Trojans couldn't be bothered to sniff out the cheating that helped keep Bush on campus, what else happened inside Pete Carroll's program?

In Carroll's defense, he hasn't been accused of any of this cheating. He has shown unbelievably bad judgment, once pranking his team by pretending that LenDale White jumped off a nearby building and also allowing notorious alum O.J. Simpson to attend practice. So he has made light of suicide and homicide. But Carroll hasn't done this. He hasn't been accused, on the record, of paying off a player. That's the worst, and the dumbest, kind of cheating imaginable -- and that's what Tim Floyd is said to have done.

And nothing about Tim Floyd's past says he deserves the benefit of the doubt. He turned USC around by prospecting in the gray area of recruiting, luring players with package deals and recruiting players committed to other schools and even having an NCAA rule nicknamed in his honor. Remember the old eight-and-five rule that limited basketball teams to five signees in one year, and eight over a two-year period? That rule was enacted in 2000 in large part because of Floyd, whose tenure at Iowa State from 1994-98 was marked by his tendency to recruit beyond the NCAA's 13-scholarship limit and cut loose excess players before the school year began. Every summer, other coaches knew, a solid player or two would become available after being run off by Floyd. So they called the eight-and-five rule "the Tim Floyd rule."

This is the guy Southern California hired.

And this guy, this Tim Floyd, allowed a known character risk like O.J. Mayo, and by extension a known NCAA violator like Rodney Guillory, into his program -- even after someone as stupid as me warned USC against it. And so now we have this accusation that he gave cash to Guillory, an accusation made by a former associate/friend of Mayo and Guillory, Louis Johnson, who didn't just tell the media about it. He told the feds, on the record. Which means if he's lying, he's going to jail.

Add it up, and you have a brutal accusation against the USC basketball coach and damning accusations against the biggest USC football star in years. The NCAA's response, after opening separate investigations into both programs, has been to roll them into a single, program-wide look at USC athletics. The NCAA is looking for the dreaded "lack of institutional control," and the NCAA is going to find it.

This is cartoon stuff, the massive, two-sport improprieties being investigated at USC. This is Todd Bozeman meets Bobby Bowden. This is one coach being accused of outright cheating, and another coach being accused of not knowing, or wanting to know, the cheating happening with his players.

This is the most scandalous athletic program of this era. And that's saying something. So the question to ask right now is not this one: Who should be fired at USC?

The question is this:

Who shouldn't?

This athletic department is in a ton of trouble. Heads are going to roll, for sure. Hopefully the distractions continue to mount going into September 12th :)

Chip R
05-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I think that $1,000 would be pretty cheap to buy O.J. Mayo. And why would a coach do that? Why not get some alum to do that job?

Reds Fanatic
05-15-2009, 03:39 PM
The NCAA has been very slow on the USC investigations. The Bush case has been under investigation for years.

LoganBuck
05-17-2009, 06:41 AM
The NCAA has been very slow on the USC investigations. The Bush case has been under investigation for years.

ESPN doesn't have a disgruntled star, with an axe to grind, to rub in everyone's face. That is why this is taking so long.

reds1869
05-17-2009, 08:13 AM
USC needs to be nailed to the wall, but the NCAA will go easier than they should. It's like the old Onion headline: "Florida State Accused of Major Violations, Cleveland State Given 16 Years Probation." If you don't agree with the sentiment, see exhibit A, Ohio State (sorry, I know a lot on here don't want to hear that). The NCAA will always protect it's cash cows.

LoganBuck
05-17-2009, 12:12 PM
USC needs to be nailed to the wall, but the NCAA will go easier than they should. It's like the old Onion headline: "Florida State Accused of Major Violations, Cleveland State Given 16 Years Probation." If you don't agree with the sentiment, see exhibit A, Ohio State (sorry, I know a lot on here don't want to hear that). The NCAA will always protect it's cash cows.

We have been over the Ohio State stuff before on this board. Jim Obrien and the basketball team were self reported, and taken care of with NCAA sanctions. They were stripped of their final four appearance in 1999, had to vacate wins, and had a self imposed ban on post season play. They fired their coach once they learned of the problem, he then sued them for wrongful termination, and they had to pay the rest of his contract, plus damages.

The football stuff was mostly made up by players that had grievances against Ohio State, especially Maurice Clarret. Some claim there was a cover up. Others know things about the story and know that the NCAA came looking for blood and found very little. Troy Smith got busted, self reported by OSU to the NCAA, and suspended. No games given back, no titles vacated, no loss of scholarships, no probation.

USCs stuff appears from the outside to be much more serious.

cincrazy
05-17-2009, 02:27 PM

OSU certainly isn't perfect, but Jim Tressel runs one of the cleaner programs in the country. Fact of the matter is, you're going to find faults at every large, successful football "factory." Every now and then, a giant will fall. It may well be USC's turn.

WVRed
06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Well, Tim Floyd resigned.

Chip R
06-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Well, Tim Floyd resigned.

Wow.

reds1869
06-10-2009, 09:14 AM
This could get really, really ugly. Of course it probably won't as the NCAA wants to find a way to protect the cash cow.

Chip R
06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
This could get really, really ugly. Of course it probably won't as the NCAA wants to find a way to protect the cash cow.

I don't think they would hesitate for a second to put the basketball program on probation. The football program is another matter.

bucksfan2
06-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I have no proof for what I am going to say so take it for what its worth.

Tim Floyd always seemed like a dirty coach to me. He has a mediocre tenure at ISU, got a job coaching the post-Jordan Bulls and did nothing, landed another head coaching job with the Hornets and did little. He comes to USC and almost immediately starts bringing in top notch players. He has never been a great coach or even a very successful post season college coach. But he always recruited over his head at USC. Something just doesn't add up with Floyd.

Andy Katz brought up a good point. Floyd may think that USC is throwing him under the bus to save Pete Carrol and its football program. The NCAA has combined both the football and basketball problems of USC into one investigation. USC may think if Floyd gets the blame, Carrol and its football program may be spared of a major punishment.

WVRed
06-10-2009, 09:59 AM

Tim Floyd always seemed like a dirty coach to me. He has a mediocre tenure at ISU, got a job coaching the post-Jordan Bulls and did nothing, landed another head coaching job with the Hornets and did little. He comes to USC and almost immediately starts bringing in top notch players. He has never been a great coach or even a very successful post season college coach. But he always recruited over his head at USC. Something just doesn't add up with Floyd.

Andy Katz brought up a good point. Floyd may think that USC is throwing him under the bus to save Pete Carrol and its football program. The NCAA has combined both the football and basketball problems of USC into one investigation. USC may think if Floyd gets the blame, Carrol and its football program may be spared of a major punishment.

I don't think it is so much Floyd being a dirty coach as much as it is having the NBA cred attached to his name (Pitino, Calipari).

One and done players such as OJ Mayo and DeMar Derozan will consider USC because of a coach who has coached in the NBA and will likely give them feedback on what they need to improve upon. Or in Mayo's case, $1,000 payments to his "advisors".

If this ends up turning into a federal issue, USC could be in trouble in football regardless. The NCAA may play favorites, the feds won't.

WVRed
06-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Some names being mentioned:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4247444

Randy Bennett (St Mary's)
Craig Robinson (Oregon State) also brother in law to the President
Billy Gillispie
Reggie Theus
Bob Knight
Seth Greenberg (Va Tech)
Dan Monson (Long Beach State, former Minnesota and Gonzaga)

BRM
06-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Bob Knight? I don't see it. I'd have to think BCG is a longshot as well.

Chip R
06-10-2009, 10:30 AM

I don't know how you define mediocre but Floyd was 81-49 at Iowa State with 3 consecutive 20 win seasons, 3 straight NCAA appearances and an appearance in the Sweet 16 defeating a Bob Huggins coached UC team to get there. He also recruited Nick Collison and Kirk Hinrich to ISU although when he quit they went to Kansas. He was Big 8 coach of the year in 1996. I know at a place like Kentucky that could get you fired but at most other schools, that's better than mediocre. As a pro coach, he wasn't even mediocre but many successful college coaches have failed in the NBA including UK's new coach.

WVRed
06-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Bob Knight? I don't see it. I'd have to think BCG is a longshot as well.

I could see Knight as a way of hoping the NCAA goes lenient. Knight may have temper issues, but he has always ran a clean program wherever he goes.

I'd say it will come down to Reggie Theus or Billy Gillispie. I can't see any current coach leaving their job with the uncertainty in SoCal right now.

WMR
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Billy Gillispie in Los Angeles. That's a premise ripe for a sitcom if I've ever seen one.

BRM
06-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I could see Knight as a way of hoping the NCAA goes lenient. Knight may have temper issues, but he has always ran a clean program wherever he goes.

I'd say it will come down to Reggie Theus or Billy Gillispie. I can't see any current coach leaving their job with the uncertainty in SoCal right now.

I'm sure USC would like to get Knight. I'm thinking he won't be interested though.

If even some of the BCG rumors are true from his tenure at UK, I think he'll have a tough time getting a job at any big D1 program.

Chip R
06-10-2009, 10:52 AM

I don't think Knight and L.A. would be a good fit. Not exactly a lot of places to hunt and fish in the metro L.A. area. Plus I don't think the press will be as friendly as it was in Bloomington and Lubbock. He should stick to being an analyst which he's very good at.

I think BCG would be a good fit for them. Theus gives them that NBA connection that the recruits would like.

cumberlandreds
06-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I doubt USC would consider BG. They have too many other things to worry about without having to keep an eye on their coach to see if he's dating the coeds or not.

WVRed
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I doubt USC would consider BG. They have too many other things to worry about without having to keep an eye on their coach to see if he's dating the coeds or not.

True, but of the names being listed, you could pretty much eliminate anybody leaving their current job.

IMO, I think it will come down to Reggie Theus or Billy Gillispie. In that case, I think it will be Theus, but it will be a matter of whether or not Theus wants it. I think Gillispie would take it in a heartbeat.

WMR
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
True, but of the names being listed, you could pretty much eliminate anybody leaving their current job.

IMO, I think it will come down to Reggie Theus or Billy Gillispie. In that case, I think it will be Theus, but it will be a matter of whether or not Theus wants it. I think Gillispie would take it in a heartbeat.

BCG could do some major damage at USC/LA. He could probably do a decent job on the basketball court as well. :D

dsmith421
06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Wild spitballing, but Steve Lavin might be an interesting choice.

WVRed
06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
BCG could do some major damage at USC/LA. He could probably do a decent job on the basketball court as well. :D

In a Larry Eustachyesque kind of way.

RBA
06-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Kurt Rambis just turned down the Sacramento Kings job. Maybe he wants to stay in LA. Is USC coach better than assistant coach on NBA's best team?

WVRed
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Kurt Rambis just turned down the Sacramento Kings job. Maybe he wants to stay in LA. Is USC coach better than assistant coach on NBA's best team?

Apparently I think Rambis is waiting on the Zen Master to retire. Could happen once the Lakers clinch the NBA title this week.

Chip R
06-10-2009, 01:28 PM

I don't think so but perhaps he just wants to stay in the NBA.

bucksfan2
06-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't know how you define mediocre but Floyd was 81-49 at Iowa State with 3 consecutive 20 win seasons, 3 straight NCAA appearances and an appearance in the Sweet 16 defeating a Bob Huggins coached UC team to get there. He also recruited Nick Collison and Kirk Hinrich to ISU although when he quit they went to Kansas. He was Big 8 coach of the year in 1996. I know at a place like Kentucky that could get you fired but at most other schools, that's better than mediocre. As a pro coach, he wasn't even mediocre but many successful college coaches have failed in the NBA including UK's new coach.

I remember that time ISU beat UC when Burton? got shoved out of bounds and was called for traveling. So lets say he was a good coach at ISU, but his best team was a sweet 16 team and then he goes and lands a job coaching an NBA team. Something just struck me as odd there. A 81-49 record at ISU gets you a promotion, a promotion to a better NCAA school, not the NBA.

With the Collison and Hinrich deal it just seems like he out recruited his surroundings. Floyd was always a head scratcher for me, never quite understanding how he accomplished certain things.

Chip R
06-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I remember that time ISU beat UC when Burton? got shoved out of bounds and was called for traveling. So lets say he was a good coach at ISU, but his best team was a sweet 16 team and then he goes and lands a job coaching an NBA team. Something just struck me as odd there. A 81-49 record at ISU gets you a promotion, a promotion to a better NCAA school, not the NBA.

With the Collison and Hinrich deal it just seems like he out recruited his surroundings. Floyd was always a head scratcher for me, never quite understanding how he accomplished certain things.

Calipari went from U Mass to the Nets. Pitino went from Providence to the Knicks. It's not exactly unprecedented. But normally a coach who excels at a place like ISU goes to a better job in college and not an NBA job. But he and Jerry Krause were tight and in this case it wasn't what you know it was who you know.

When he was at ISU there were problems with the players he recruited. Several of them were thugs plain and simple. One of his players was playing for a minor league team in Des Moines after he finished school and they actually tried to arrest him after a game but he fleed the scene. They eventually caught up with him but he was a thug, plain and simple. Of course that doesn't make Floyd unique since a lot of coaches recruit thugs. Floyd's a great defensive coach. He's from the Iba tree of coaches. His offense is boring but his teams play defense. It's sad this had to happen. O.J. was going to be trouble for anyone who signed him.

bucksfan2
06-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Calipari went from U Mass to the Nets. Pitino went from Providence to the Knicks. It's not exactly unprecedented. But normally a coach who excels at a place like ISU goes to a better job in college and not an NBA job. But he and Jerry Krause were tight and in this case it wasn't what you know it was who you know.

Both Cal and Pitino went to final fours correct? It is unprecedented but I guess anything can happen if you have the right contacts.

dabvu2498
06-10-2009, 03:31 PM
PJ Carliesemo says hello also. Larry Brown has gone back and forth.

Hoosier Red
06-10-2009, 04:25 PM

When he was at ISU there were problems with the players he recruited. Several of them were thugs plain and simple. One of his players was playing for a minor league team in Des Moines after he finished school and they actually tried to arrest him after a game but he fleed the scene. They eventually caught up with him but he was a thug, plain and simple. Of course that doesn't make Floyd unique since a lot of coaches recruit thugs. Floyd's a great defensive coach. He's from the Iba tree of coaches. His offense is boring but his teams play defense. It's sad this had to happen. O.J. was going to be trouble for anyone who signed him.

Jamaal Tinsley was one of the stars of that team I believe.

WVRed
06-10-2009, 11:01 PM

and Marcus Fizer.

cumberlandreds
06-11-2009, 07:45 AM

Yes and they lost to Hampton in the first round of the NCAA's.

Revering4Blue
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Bush-whacked

Reggie Bush never played for Tim Floyd, but the football star is a big reason the coach is gone at USC, Michael Rosenberg says.

Floyd created a mess, but he also had company
by Michael Rosenberg

Jerry Tarkanian, the all-time king of rogue coaches, once summed up the NCAA's hypocrisy by saying "The NCAA got so mad at Kentucky, they put Cleveland State on probation."

To that, we add a 21st-century update:

USC got so upset about its football scandal that it forced out its basketball coach. Tim Floyd resigned under pressure this week — under the pressure of two NCAA scandals, and under the pressure of being the 13th-most important coach on campus — behind Pete Carroll and his 11 assistants.

The Trojans' football and basketball programs are under siege. Both programs have been accused of major violations. USC has shown pretty clearly that it has no interest in, you know, actually finding out what happened. The Los Angeles Times recently reported that USC has done comically little to investigate the allegations.

But even USC athletic director Mike Garrett knows he can't escape major accusations in the two biggest sports. Somebody had to pay here. And asking USC to choose between football and basketball is like asking Saudi Arabia to choose between its oil and its racehorses. One is a fun diversion; the other one pays all the bills.

There are three versions of why Tim Floyd is out at USC. There is the fiction, the speculation and the likely truth.

First, the fiction: Floyd released this statement to the Jackson Clarion-Ledger in his home state of Mississippi:

There are allegations of large payments to Reggie Bush and his family while at USC. (Lisa Blumenfeld / Getty Images)

"I no longer feel I can offer the level of enthusiasm to my duties that is deserved by the university, my coaching staff, my players, their families, and the supporters of Southern Cal."

That is a great story, and I admire the creativity of whoever came up with it. Unfortunately, it is not remotely believable.

Just two months ago, Floyd turned down the Arizona job ... because his, uh, level of enthusiasm for coaching USC was extremely high. He had the horses to make a Final Four run.

Then three of Floyd's players left early for the NBA, and Yahoo Sports reported that Floyd paid Rodney Guillory at least $1,000 in cash, according to Louis Johnson, a former Guillory associate. Guillory is the guy who delivered star O.J. Mayo to USC, and the guy who supposedly gave Mayo $30,000 when he played for the Trojans (also according to Johnson, via ESPN last year).

This leads to the second version: that USC forced Floyd to resign. Is that accurate? Well, it probably depends on your definition of the word "forced."

This brings us to version three, the likely truth: USC did not technically ask Floyd to resign. But the school made Floyd's office seat so uncomfortable, it might as well have been made of burning nails.

With no NFL franchise in town, Trojans coach Pete Carroll is the biggest football name in Los Angeles.

When Arizona called, USC did not renegotiate his contract. Floyd landed star recruit Renardo Sidney, then suddenly stopped recruiting him. It was pretty obvious that USC had told Floyd he couldn't take Sidney. Tim Floyd does not suddenly walk away from one of the top recruits in the country.

Garrett wanted Floyd gone, and Floyd knew it. So Garrett and USC pulled one of the top recruits in the country away from him.

Does anybody think USC would have done the same to Pete Carroll? Make no mistake: Tim Floyd made his own professional deathbed. If Floyd was truly innocent, of course he would speak up for himself. He wouldn't just resign.

Instead, Floyd leaves because USC had to sacrifice somebody. More than three years have passed since Yahoo Sports reported that an agent paid Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush well into six figures while Bush played for the Trojans. That case is still pending. It has become quite obvious that USC would like that case to pend for another few centuries.

USC can try a divide-and-survive strategy with the NCAA:

1. Admit that the basketball program has been naughty.

2. Say the school is offended and will punish itself thoroughly for those transgressions.

3. Say, "hey, we're obviously tough on crime around here — look at what we did to our basketball program. But we discovered our football program is clean. Jeez Louise, what a relief!"

Tim Floyd dove into hot water. He deserved what he got. But as you list his sins, please include this one: He didn't coach football.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9665990/Floyd-created-a-mess,-but-he-also-had-company

Revering4Blue
12-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Report: McKnight under investigation

ESPN.com news services

USC tailback Joe McKnight has been driving a 2006 Land Rover owned by a Santa Monica, Calif., businessman, the Los Angeles Times reported on Friday.

USC is investigating McKnight's use of the vehicle to find out if it is in violation NCAA rules. It is against NCAA rules for athletes to accept benefits from agents or marketing representatives, or to accept "extra benefits" based on their ability.

The Times reported McKnight has been seen driving the SUV, which the California Department of Motor Vehicles says is registered to Scott Schenter.

Schenter, 47, works in marketing and owns a company that registered a Web site called 4joemcknight.com, according to the newspaper.

Schenter's wife, Dawn, told the Times he was in South Africa. Reached by e-mail, Schenter didn't respond to a list of questions sent by the newspaper, according to the report.

If McKnight is in violation of NCAA rules, it could affect his eligibility. USC plays Boston College in the Emerald Bowl on Dec. 26 in San Francisco.

USC is already being investigated by the NCAA and Pac-10 regarding accusations that running back Reggie Bush and basketball star O.J. Mayo received improper benefits during their time at the school.

McKnight is the Trojans' leading rusher with 1,014 yards this season.

"Compliance has this in a full review and so we'll have to wait and see what happens with that," coach Pete Carroll said. "I really can't tell you anything. I don't know anything more than that."

McKnight told the Times on Wednesday he has ridden in the Land Rover but never driven it. McKnight's girlfriend, Johana Michelle Beltran, works as a secretary for Schenter, he said.

"I know I can't drive cars I'm not supposed to," McKnight said. "If somebody said they spotted me driving, they're seeing wrong. I don't even have the keys."

McKnight and Beltran are the parents of a 10-month-old son, Jaiden. McKnight told the Times the Land Rover belonged to "my baby mama's boss."

"I never talk to her about it," he said of the SUV. "I just see it whenever my girlfriend's around with my kid. I ask no questions. I just do what I got to do

hebroncougar
12-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Those excused are comical.

traderumor
12-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I have all kinds of respect for a young father who actually refers to his girlfriend as "my baby mama." :rolleyes:

11larkin11
12-19-2009, 01:23 PM
And this is the last we'll hear of it...

RBA
12-20-2009, 11:47 AM
I enjoy reading these threads. Those in glass houses....

Scrap Irony
12-20-2009, 01:44 PM
USC is filthy dirty. What's crazy is that the athletes continue to flaunt the rules. You'd think Carroll would have told them to lie low after the Bush "investigation".

OnBaseMachine
12-20-2009, 09:35 PM
USC is about as filthy dirty as every other program in the country.

Boston Red
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM
The NCAA is so pissed about this that San Jose State may be facing the death penalty.

traderumor
12-21-2009, 11:37 AM
No story here. The employer bought the SUV for the girlfriend. If Joe was driving it, then he was just being extended boyfriend privileges. Now, about that ocean front property in Arizona.

RBA,

Three Buckeyes were declared ineligible today for breaking team rules. A fourth, Devon Carter, was ineligible due to grades. Thought you might enjoy that. BTW, mud slinging does not break glass houses. There's plenty to go around.

A big difference I see is that the program I follow and support seems to deal with issues as they rear their ugly head, while another seems to bob and weave. Somehow, ESPN hasn't been treating the USC dirt the way it has a certain other program. Oh well, consider the source.

There's another axiom I like a lot--"you reap what you sow."

Hoosier Red
12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
The NCAA is so pissed about this that San Jose State may be facing the death penalty.

For their Men's tennis team.