PDA

View Full Version : Wayman Tisdale passes away...

remdog
05-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I just saw this, from the AP:

"...But those who knew Tisdale, who died Friday at a hospital in his hometown of Tulsa, Okla., recalled not only his professional gifts but a perpetually sunny outlook, even in the face of a two-year battle with cancer that took his life at 44.

His leg was amputated last August and a prosthetic leg that he wore was crimson, one of Oklahoma's colors. He attended an Oklahoma City Thunder game April 7 and later that month was honored at the Greenwood Cultural Center in Tulsa. During the ceremony, he spoke about his cancer, saying "In my mind, I've beaten it."

As a musician, Tisdale recorded eight albums. A bass guitarist who often wrote his own material, his most recent album, "Rebound," was inspired by his fight with cancer and included guest appearances by several artists, including saxophonist Dave Koz and country star and fellow Oklahoma native Toby Keith.

His "Way Up!" release debuted in July 2006 and spent four weeks as the No. 1contemporary jazz album. His hits included "Ain't No Stopping Us Now," "Can't Hide Love" and "Don't Take Your Love Away."

I'm sad to learn of this....I didn't even know he was sick. As terrific a basketball player as he was, he was possibly an even better musician. I saw him at the Newport Beach Jazz Festival 3 or 4 years ago and the crowd just loved him. Ironically, that Jazz Festival kicks off this years' weekend in about 3 hours. I'm sure there will be many tributes to him. I've looked at the list of performers and I was wondering why Wayman wasn't on the bill. :(

Rem

GIDP
05-15-2009, 09:35 PM
No way man

reds1869
05-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Wow, that's sad news. I met him a few years back at a jazz festival and he was a really nice guy.

Bumstead
05-19-2009, 11:20 AM
So sad. One of my favorite players of all time. I can still see him getting the ball directly under the basket, facing the free throw line, going straight up and dunking it back over his head with that huge smile on his face...His turn around jumper was so sweet that I worked on it everyday while I was in college; I did it left-handed even though I am right handed. Called it the "Wayman." He was a great guy with an magnetic personality.

RedFanAlways1966
05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I'll always remember Wayman Tisdale for a 1984 game in which his Oklahoma Sooners lost. I am a lifelong Dayton Flyers fan... and Tisdale was probably the best player in college that year. The #10 seed Flyers upset LSU in round 1 of the NCAA Dance and had to face the Sooners in round 2. Roosevelt Chapman, Dayton's star player, said after the LSU win, "We'll play hard aginst Oklahoma, we'll try to contain Wayman and we'll see who is a real All-American." Tisdale scored 39 points in the game... but Chapman put in 41 as Dayton upset them.