PDA

View Full Version : Tonight marks the beginning of the end of the Reds season!

fewfirstchoice
05-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Let me say first I hope IM wrong and Im just posting this out of frustration at having to watch Dusty manage my beloved Reds. But I predict tonight marks the end of the Reds hopes of a great season. They will start to play like they should have been playing all year, bad. This team just is not built to win. They have a very poor manager that just loses way to many games for his team like tonights game. I hope Im wrong but I dont think I will be. The Reds will lose 80-85 games this year and not even come close to sniffing the playoffs. If Im wrong thank the good lord but if Im not like many on here and everywhere know Im probably not we will see it happen in front of our faces. I believe that is this happens Dusty has got to be fired. He has to be the worst manager ever at managing his pitchers. He just has no idea when to pull them. But lets see tonight it is 5-15-2010 and I predict the Reds enter into a slide were they lose something like 15 out of he next 20 games or 20 out of the next 25 games. Its coming so be afraid, be very afraid.

cbowen2112
05-16-2009, 02:05 AM
Harang retired 11 of the last 12 he's faced before he was sent out in the 7th. I think you let him go out there and get that inning. After the first hit I would have taken him out. But we as fans have no idea what is being said in the dugout. Chill out and breathe!

wojo1025
05-16-2009, 02:06 AM
I'll take that bet. I'll even take it in 2009.

mroby85
05-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Let me say first I hope IM wrong and Im just posting this out of frustration at having to watch Dusty manage my beloved Reds. But I predict tonight marks the end of the Reds hopes of a great season. They will start to play like they should have been playing all year, bad. This team just is not built to win. They have a very poor manager that just loses way to many games for his team like tonights game. I hope Im wrong but I dont think I will be. The Reds will lose 80-85 games this year and not even come close to sniffing the playoffs. If Im wrong thank the good lord but if Im not like many on here and everywhere know Im probably not we will see it happen in front of our faces. I believe that is this happens Dusty has got to be fired. He has to be the worst manager ever at managing his pitchers. He just has no idea when to pull them. But lets see tonight it is 5-15-2010 and I predict the Reds enter into a slide were they lose something like 15 out of he next 20 games or 20 out of the next 25 games. Its coming so be afraid, be very afraid.

I said while watching the game to pinch hit for Harang, he had started to lose it the inning before, and there was a guy in scoring position with 2 outs. However, you need to chill, this is baseball, and they've been on quite a streak lately. The Padres were more than due to win, and the Reds were due to lose. They just took 2/3 from the pirates, cardinals, and swept the dbacks, so relax.

sabometrics
05-16-2009, 03:39 AM
What a miserable line of thinking.

Do you seriously believe with our rotation we'll actually have a stretch where we lose 15 out of 20, or even 20 out of 25? I say you're off your rocker.

WildcatFan
05-16-2009, 03:39 AM
Allow me to direct you to the golf scores thread

fewfirstchoice
05-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Yes, remember Dusty is the Reds manager and he ruins pitchers.

sabometrics
05-16-2009, 03:45 AM
Ok chicken little.

ian_madden
05-16-2009, 03:48 AM
I will take that bet too. But I do think that we are playing at a higher level than this team is expected. I do not think we will go 5 and 20. We are better than that. Don't you think that we are better than that?

nmculbreth
05-16-2009, 04:13 AM
The histrionics that follow a loss are always entertaining...

Mutaman
05-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Joe Torre says "Never get too high when you win, and never get too low when you lose" Of course there is always some genius who violates this rule to the extreme. Interesting that these folks always criticise Dusty's pitching moves on the rare occassions when hes wrong, but they're not to be heard from on the numerous occassions when he's right- like the previous 6 games.

In any event, Harang is supposed to be the big ace of this staff. If he can't hold a two run lead against a mediocre team, well he's the one to blame, not the manager.

God must love second guessers, he makes so many of them.

robmadden1
05-16-2009, 04:31 AM

Your jumping a year ahead of yourself. It's not May 15, 2010. It's May 15, 2009.

Dude Rock
05-16-2009, 04:33 AM
Okay???????

They've won 7 of 10 in extraordinary fashion. They lose one and the panic button sets in????????????

5-3 loss. The season is over. Bring on the Bengals. (sarcasm)

This thread is ridiculous.

Eric_the_Red
05-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Wow, is it the day after the Opening Day loss?

I wonder why some fans that get so miserable after 1 loss in a 162 game baseball season even watch? Even the best teams lose 65 times a year.

Chill. You'll give yourself ulcers.

reds1869
05-16-2009, 12:34 PM
There is no way this team finishes under .500, and it is also not likely they win the World Series. This edition isbuilt to contend for the playoffs and will probably do so. I fail to see why so many people believe this team can't compete. Sold pitchign means we will always be in it.

Ghosts of 1990
05-16-2009, 12:40 PM
I hope you are wrong, but we can't be dropping games like the one we did last night if we're going to be the darkhorse. We were up 3-1 on a bad team who'd lost 6 in a row. No excuse for it. And yes you have to expect wins against them. Excuse the loss any way you want. Thats a game you have to have. So I don't blame some people for thinking "it's the same old Reds" but it could certainly be that way if we dont win series from bad teams like the Indians and Padres (and like we did the Dbacks)

Hondo
05-16-2009, 01:30 PM
The only thing I have to say is... Harang probably felt good. Dusty probably should have Pinch Hit for him... This teams needs to Beat Down teams like the Padres when they are down... So it is cause for concern, just not... DeathCon 5 Scenerio...

Trade for Peavy while you're there Walt...

Va Red Fan
05-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Threads like this make my heart ache.

The Reds are playing well. I am very thankful. Sorry to drop one that we could have had, but we have won a few we could have/should have dropped. Bravo to the team from Cincy. I predict nothing but good things to come.

Hyperfandreacs get on my nerves!

Dude Rock
05-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I hope you are wrong, but we can't be dropping games like the one we did last night if we're going to be the darkhorse. We were up 3-1 on a bad team who'd lost 6 in a row. No excuse for it. And yes you have to expect wins against them. Excuse the loss any way you want. Thats a game you have to have. So I don't blame some people for thinking "it's the same old Reds" but it could certainly be that way if we dont win series from bad teams like the Indians and Padres (and like we did the Dbacks)

We lost opening day 2-1. I thought we should have won that one.
We lost 4-3 on April 24th to the Braves when Volquez walked 7. We should have won that one.
We lost 4-1 on April 27th to Houston, score tied 1-1 going into the 9th and Cordero comes in for a non-save situation and gives up 3 runs in the 9th. I thought we should have won that one.
We lost 3-2 in 14 innings to Florida on May 5th in an error plagued game by the Reds. I thought we should have won that one.
We lost 8-7 to St. Louis last Sunday in extra innings. I thought we should have won that one.

Alot of games I thought we should have won and could have. :p:

NastyBoy
05-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I think you have the 2006 Reds confused with the 2009 Reds. 2006 Reds August westcoast roadtrip pretty much derailed the season. The 2009 Reds may not lose 3 games in a row all season because there starting pitching is just too good.

fugowitribe
05-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Say you are a Reds' fan all you want, but don't show up to the ballpark after we win this series and return home.....I think that we need to get the baseball fans of Cincinnati and Reds fans all over to get behind this team. I know we have been let down in the past, but give support, I think it will go a long way with this young team. BE OPTOMISTIC, and quit waiting on the sky to fall!

kfm
05-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Is it all the losing that creates a thread like this? They lost a game and with the way this team pitches there are going to be a lot of close games. This team has won games they should have lost and some games they lost never should have been as close as they were. As far as Dusty goes, I will admit that i have not been a big fan of Dusty's mainly based upon Corey Patterson, but to take every so called mistake like leaving your ace in who has retired 12 of the last 13 batters in a close game is mind numbing. I think everyone who makes a post like this should have to start it with "i hate Dusty Baker and I will never give him credit for anything he has accomplished or will accomplish as the Reds manager." At least then we can consider your comments in the right context.

Hondo
05-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Speaking of Corey Patterson... How did they give this guy 3 Million last year... Isn't he on an 800,000 Contract this year???? That still bugs me!

Captain Hook
05-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Speaking of Corey Patterson... How did they give this guy 3 Million last year... Isn't he on an 800,000 Contract this year???? That still bugs me!

IMO this was one of the many poor contracts Wayne Krivsky was responsible for that ended up getting him fired.

Captain Hook
05-16-2009, 04:10 PM
We lost opening day 2-1. I thought we should have won that one.
We lost 4-3 on April 24th to the Braves when Volquez walked 7. We should have won that one.
We lost 4-1 on April 27th to Houston, score tied 1-1 going into the 9th and Cordero comes in for a non-save situation and gives up 3 runs in the 9th. I thought we should have won that one.
We lost 3-2 in 14 innings to Florida on May 5th in an error plagued game by the Reds. I thought we should have won that one.
We lost 8-7 to St. Louis last Sunday in extra innings. I thought we should have won that one.

Alot of games I thought we should have won and could have. :p:

Every year every team no matter how good and how many games they win could put a list like this together.Those other teams that won those games are trying to win you know.It make me as sick as anyone when the Reds let one slip away.Keep in mind that the Reds have won a lot of losable games and on the other end of those games there is a team talking about should've could've would've.

mlh1981
05-16-2009, 09:37 PM
We have problems that teams like the Pirates would LOVE to have. It could be worse. We could be THOSE guys..........

ukwazoo
05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
It's win-win. We either make a good, solid run this year, or Dusty is probably canned. Win-win. Enjoy the ride.

fewfirstchoice
05-17-2009, 02:36 AM
Like I said yesterday...THE REDS SEASON IS OVER!!!!

keeganbrick
05-17-2009, 03:25 AM

OMGZER, how did you know??

Slyder
05-17-2009, 03:26 AM

I thought I was a pessimistic pansy... Nothing is written in stone. Let the season go as it may.

Ghosts of 1990
05-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I have to say, I see the original poster as being correct. Last night's lost is going to have ramifications of a few weeks..... Owings might not be right for a while. Overall, I do see us entering a tailspin that sends us below .500 (pathetic when you factor in not only did we blow two leads, but the two leads were blown to the Padres who had lost 6in a row!). I find myself saying, same old Reds team here that is a bunch of poor man's someone's and somehow I knew the few hours in first place were nice but it would only be a few hours. Same old Reds.

Ghosts of 1990
05-17-2009, 12:12 PM
I think you have the 2006 Reds confused with the 2009 Reds. 2006 Reds August westcoast roadtrip pretty much derailed the season. The 2009 Reds may not lose 3 games in a row all season because there starting pitching is just too good.

or how about we could lose 3 in a row in a few hours here.

WildcatFan
05-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it

xavr1
05-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Even if we DO lose three in a row, we're .500 on the road trip. Its tough to win out there, I dont care who youre playing! Lets extrapolate worst case scenario: Peavy shuts us down tonight, we slip to 3 games behind. Not sure if Mil, StL or Chi play tomorrow (dont think they do), but assuming they do and win, we are 3.5 back entering the home series with Philly.

3 - 3.5 back in the second half of May is fine with me. Especially with teams like Milwaukee playing beyond their talent. I have said it all year long--Chicago is going to win this division. We definitely have the ability to take second and a possible wild card. Yes, even if we (shudder!) lose three games in a row...

Dude Rock
05-17-2009, 06:16 PM
.......so we get swept and go .500 on the road trip. So what?

We're still 3 games over .500 with 125 games to go.

Get a frickin' grip people.

Ghosts of 1990
05-18-2009, 12:02 AM
.......so we get swept and go .500 on the road trip. So what?

We're still 3 games over .500 with 125 games to go.

Get a frickin' grip people.

It's who we got swept by that concerns me.

Dude Rock
05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
The Brewers are currently in first place. Not too long ago, they were in second to last place. I'm sure on their way up the standings to first place, all the teams they were beating had the same concerns.

It happens.

fewfirstchoice
05-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Another night another lose. I told you guys the Padres series was the start of a massive losing streak for the Reds. Tonight makes 4 in a row. Theres just no way this offense is good enough to stay in a race all year let along for 2 months. I wish they could stay in it but they just cant. Let alone that Dusty is the manager. Any team with Baker has to take a 5 game knock from the get go, hes just that bad.

mroby85
05-20-2009, 01:11 AM
This guy is a prophet, lol jk
I think we'll be fine if we get Votto back healthy.

Ghosts of 1990
05-20-2009, 01:12 AM
I think we'll surprise some people and win the next two games.... we'll get to Moyer tomorrow night and we'll beat Blanton thursday afternoon.

Kingspoint
05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
We haven't won since last Wednesday. That said, I don't consider a team "in a slump" unless they either lose 5 in a row, or 8 out of 10. Neither of those cases has happened. Lose tonight though, and we are in a slump.

But, the season's not over, nor will it ever be. This team is still going to over-achieve it's pythagoreans and win at least 85 games.

Dude Rock
05-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Tonight marks the beginning of the Reds resurgence!!!!!!

Shawn_RedsFan
05-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Another night another lose. I told you guys the Padres series was the start of a massive losing streak for the Reds. Tonight makes 4 in a row. Theres just no way this offense is good enough to stay in a race all year let along for 2 months. I wish they could stay in it but they just cant. Let alone that Dusty is the manager. Any team with Baker has to take a 5 game knock from the get go, hes just that bad.

:thumbdown idiot

Dude Rock
05-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Another night another lose (IT'S SPELLED "LOSS"....DUH). I told you guys the Padres series was the start of a massive losing streak for the Reds. Tonight makes 4 in a row. Theres just no way this offense is good enough to stay in a race all year let along for 2 months. I wish they could stay in it but they just cant. Let alone that Dusty is the manager. Any team with Baker has to take a 5 game knock from the get go, hes just that bad.

Another night another...............WIN!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :beerme: :p:

cbowen2112
05-21-2009, 12:15 AM
GO REDS! Get real with the 15-20 game skids...

BLEEDS
05-21-2009, 09:44 AM

Way to jinx us!! :(

PEACE

-BLEEDS

fewfirstchoice
05-21-2009, 07:46 PM
The Reds have lost 5 of 6 games since I posted this. I just had the feeling Dusty wouldnt let this team play well all season. Dusty has got to go the Reds would be a much better team without out him around. The lack of a offense doesnt help either.

TC81190
05-21-2009, 07:55 PM
It was fun to watch the team when we had some energy and were playing heads up baseball. Gonzalez I think is kind of drag on the team, although he looked nice turning the DP last night, doubt Hairston could've done that. Seems like we're also getting a little bit of mental lapses that weren't happening a week or two ago, especially from Rosales and Taveras in the field.

Also, when Volquez comes off the deal, they should really bring Soto in and have him try and get him settled down.

Kingspoint
05-21-2009, 08:00 PM
The Reds have lost 5 of 6 games since I posted this. I just had the feeling Dusty wouldnt let this team play well all season. Dusty has got to go the Reds would be a much better team without out him around. The lack of a offense doesnt help either.

Today's loss came from that extra-inning affair in San Diego. It was a disaster that takes a little time to adjust to.

We have great starting pitching.

We can handle a Volquez DL stint.

We can handle an Owings overuse.

We can handle an Arroyo overuse.

Having lost now 5 of 6, I expect us to win the next series taking 2 of 3 from Cleveland this Weekend and 2 of 3 from Houston to start next week followed by a nice day off before we take on the Division-Leading BrewCrew in Milwaukie next weekend. Volquez comes back following that series, and the real baseball season begins as June hits the schedule. We will have gotten through April and May with a plus .500 record, and that's a good thing.

fewfirstchoice
05-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Right now it doesnt look like the Reds can handle any of those things and win. I hope im wrong but this team just isnt good enough to contend. The offense sucks, Dusty doesnt help anything, the bull pen has way over acheived so far, and the defense isnt quite what people claim it to be. So as much as I want the Reds to win this year its not going to happen.

Walt needs to trade Harang, Arroyo, Weathers(if he can get anything for him), Rhodes, and whoever else they can and get younger. They need a third baseman, a left fielder, and a couple of nice young arms. Do this and in a year or so the Reds will contend. But to do so they will need to add a power bat in the off season. A rotaion of Volquez, Cueto, Owings, Bailey, and another young arm would be a good rotation. So we need to go younger and get what we can for our big money arms while we still can.

Hondo
05-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Right now it doesnt look like the Reds can handle any of those things and win. I hope im wrong but this team just isnt good enough to contend. The offense sucks, Dusty doesnt help anything, the bull pen has way over acheived so far, and the defense isnt quite what people claim it to be. So as much as I want the Reds to win this year its not going to happen.

Walt needs to trade Harang, Arroyo, Weathers(if he can get anything for him), Rhodes, and whoever else they can and get younger. They need a third baseman, a left fielder, and a couple of nice young arms. Do this and in a year or so the Reds will contend. But to do so they will need to add a power bat in the off season. A rotaion of Volquez, Cueto, Owings, Bailey, and another young arm would be a good rotation. So we need to go younger and get what we can for our big money arms while we still can.

No No No

This team Needs to ADD ADD ADD

A Power Bat and a SP

Peavy and Sizemore is what I vote for...

sabometrics
05-22-2009, 12:06 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rosters

Just how much younger do you want to get? You trade every veteran on the team and we're looking at another 2-3 years of losing, regardless of how much young talent is on the field. You need some vets, and for a team that is already very young, bailing out isn't going to get you many more wins in the next few years. This city can't take much more losing. They need a winner this year or next, and dumping everyone would kill any good will that is still left.

fewfirstchoice
05-22-2009, 02:33 AM
No No No

A Power Bat and a SP

I would love to have Peavy and Sizemore but this owner ship isnt going to spend this kind of money. They have proven this. Im all for adding and trying to win this year but theres no way Bob will do it. It will also take more than Peavy and Sizemore to win a WS in Cincy this year. Thye would maybe push them to the wildcard but no further.

fewfirstchoice
05-22-2009, 02:35 AM

Just how much younger do you want to get? You trade every veteran on the team and we're looking at another 2-3 years of losing, regardless of how much young talent is on the field. You need some vets, and for a team that is already very young, bailing out isn't going to get you many more wins in the next few years. This city can't take much more losing. They need a winner this year or next, and dumping everyone would kill any good will that is still left.

Until the owner ship will prove they will spend to bring in solid veterans and not waiste money on guys like Hairston Jr. I want the to stay young. Bob has proven he isnt gong to spend money on a top veteran talent.

Slyder
05-22-2009, 03:10 AM
No No No

A Power Bat and a SP

Sizemore would be nice. No way in heck they do it for a reasonable cost. I wouldnt be adverse to trading SOME vets like Hairston, Gonzo if someone needs a glove, Arroyo, etc regardless of whether were buyers or salers. No way do I trade Harang right now short of an "offer we cannot refuse". He's a stabilizing force that rotation, you pretty much know what you're going to get. Plus if Cueto and Volquez continue to shine or Bailey finds "it", Harang become The BEST #3 starter in baseball. Thats a nice problem to have.

We aren't dead yet. We need help and help SOON though if we want to stick around. Need to get creative with something and go ahead and beat the market and get a LF to either take the every day job or platoon with Nix/Dickerson. Don't know if Gomes is or ever will be anything more than Dunn-lite and I think we need a bit more than that to get this offense going.

Dude Rock
05-22-2009, 04:37 AM
This ownership is full of idiots. I'm not happy with them. They couldn't even solve all the problems we had in the offseason. Why should we expect them to solve the problems we have now?

Hondo
05-23-2009, 05:54 PM
This ownership is full of idiots. I'm not happy with them. They couldn't even solve all the problems we had in the offseason. Why should we expect them to solve the problems we have now?

I don't undertsand it either... When Bob C showed up he was talking about Commitment to Winning. They have not added ONE Impact Player. Not ONE!

Makes no sense, maybe he just doesn't want to pay for season tickets so he bought a Baseball Team.

Griffey012
05-23-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't undertsand it either... When Bob C showed up he was talking about Commitment to Winning. They have not added ONE Impact Player. Not ONE!

Makes no sense, maybe he just doesn't want to pay for season tickets so he bought a Baseball Team.

Brandon Phillips, Josh Hamilton, Edinson Volquez, CoCo, they all say hi...:)

At least I think the Phillips trade was under BobC, I could be mistaken. Thehy havent spent huge dollars except for Cordero and know we have one of the best pens in the league. They have also spent money to lock up harang and arroyo. They main part is they havent blown a lot of money outside of some stupid bullpen moves. Another Milton signing cripples us.

Kingspoint
05-23-2009, 07:36 PM

It was the veteran (appropriate for Memorial Day Weekend) Arroyo that came through yesterday pitching the way Jack Morris did throughout his career....stepping up big-time when it mattered the most and always pitching good enough to win. We score 1 run, Arroyo gives up 1 run until we hammer two through in the 8th to give him his team-leading 6th Win of the season.

Patience, all of my young Obe-Won's.

FlyerFanatic
05-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Brandon Phillips, Josh Hamilton, Edinson Volquez, CoCo, they all say hi...:)

At least I think the Phillips trade was under BobC, I could be mistaken. Thehy havent spent huge dollars except for Cordero and know we have one of the best pens in the league. They have also spent money to lock up harang and arroyo. They main part is they havent blown a lot of money outside of some stupid bullpen moves. Another Milton signing cripples us.

guess you're forgetting patterson and bako, bako did ok...but what did we pay patterson 3 mill? after he was just sitting around in the off season expected to not be signed by anyone?

overall though, i like where the team is headed...reds fans havent been this excited in a long time

Dude Rock
05-23-2009, 07:41 PM
It was the veteran (appropriate for Memorial Day Weekend) Arroyo that came through yesterday pitching the way Jack Morris did throughout his career....stepping up big-time when it mattered the most and always pitching good enough to win. We score 1 run, Arroyo gives up 1 run until we hammer two through in the 8th to give him his team-leading 6th Win of the season.

Patience, all of my young Obe-Won's.

Yeah. Bronson is really frustrating. He can pitch a gem of a ballgame and has that rubber arm that will give you atleast 7 to 9 innings. And then he can just as easily get shelled.

My problem isn't so much with Bronson as it is Dusty, who feels the need to leave Bronson in when he clearly doesn't have it.

It would be nice if Homer shows he ready tonight...........I'm not a big Homer fan, but one of these days maybe it will click with him. If Homer can put together a few good outings, it might be nice to put Micah in the long role...........and when Bronson has one of those typical shellshocked outings, maybe we can get him out of the game before he gives up 6 or 10 runs and slide Micah in for 3 to 5 innings.............maybe Dusty can actually keep us in one of those game by taking him out before things get out of hand.

Kingspoint
05-23-2009, 08:06 PM

What specifically should they have done?

Kingspoint
05-23-2009, 08:18 PM

They handled it last night with the veteran Arroyo keeping them in a 1-1 game until the REDS came through with 2 in the 8th.

This team was never supposed to contend. They are overachieving their pythagoreans. You should be enjoying that. If they were underperforming, I'd understand if you had something to be bothered about.

Defense, especially for younger players, but for older players, too, is difficult in April and May. Now that it's warmed up and everyone has settled in, check out what they do defensively from THIS DAY forward.

As much as you're trying not to make it happen, the REDS ARE WINNING so far this year. They are a few games over .500 going into Saturday's game. That's great! What's not to like?

Trade Arroyo and Weathers and Harang and Rhodes while at the same time you want them to win? Young teams can't win. You want Walt to sign the death sentence to the 2009 team already by trading away the "glue" of the team, the veterans that will carry these youngsters through the Summer and into September.

Who won the only two REDS games from Thursday, May 14th through Friday, May 22nd? The veterans Harang and Arroyo both allowed a run a piece in their victories. Relying on only young guys, and we might be in the middle of a 7-game losing streak with no end in sight as Bailey pitches today. It's likely that Bailey will pitch 4 good, shutout innings, and then implode as he always does under pressure, by not being able to get out of the 5th inning while giving up 4 or 5 runs.

Kingspoint
05-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah. Bronson is really frustrating. He can pitch a gem of a ballgame and has that rubber arm that will give you atleast 7 to 9 innings. And then he can just as easily get shelled.

My problem isn't so much with Bronson as it is Dusty, who feels the need to leave Bronson in when he clearly doesn't have it.

It would be nice if Homer shows he ready tonight...........I'm not a big Homer fan, but one of these days maybe it will click with him. If Homer can put together a few good outings, it might be nice to put Micah in the long role...........and when Bronson has one of those typical shellshocked outings, maybe we can get him out of the game before he gives up 6 or 10 runs and slide Micah in for 3 to 5 innings.............maybe Dusty can actually keep us in one of those game by taking him out before things get out of hand.

I was all for trading Arroyo last season myself. To his credit, he turned it around. I've never felt that he was more than a 90-pitch guy, and he should never be used beyond that. Dusty repeatedly uses him for 120+ pitches. He bounced back yesterday, but I think most of the time he's pitching on guts. He costs another $11M next season. That's a lot for a guy on a small-market team with an ERA in the bottom 1/3rd of the league.

Trust in Walt. He knows what he's doing. Any other g.m. would have put his own stamp on the team as soon as he took over. Walt hasn't done that in what is now 12 months for him. He recognizes the good of what O'Brien and Krivsky set up and is only tweeking it, as he should, because what's in place in a championship-caliber team that just needs to play together and grow.

Kingspoint
05-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Relying on only young guys, and we might be in the middle of a 7-game losing streak with no end in sight as Bailey pitches today. It's likely that Bailey will pitch 4 good, shutout innings, and then implode as he always does under pressure, by not being able to get out of the 5th inning while giving up 4 or 5 runs.

Sorry, but had to quote myself.

So Bailey only got 1 shutout inning before he imploded under pressure and gave up 4 or 5 runs.

fewfirstchoice
05-24-2009, 12:08 AM
We should enjoy our team go through 14 losing seasons? Thats crazy. They are over achieving but arenty you tired off the Reds over achieving at the start of every season on to lsoe over 80 games every year? I am. This team has no offense and Dusty is a terrible manager. Until these 2 things change the Reds will never have a losing season.

Dude Rock
05-24-2009, 02:24 AM
I was all for trading Arroyo last season myself. To his credit, he turned it around. I've never felt that he was more than a 90-pitch guy, and he should never be used beyond that. Dusty repeatedly uses him for 120+ pitches. He bounced back yesterday, but I think most of the time he's pitching on guts. He costs another $11M next season. That's a lot for a guy on a small-market team with an ERA in the bottom 1/3rd of the league.

Trust in Walt. He knows what he's doing. Any other g.m. would have put his own stamp on the team as soon as he took over. Walt hasn't done that in what is now 12 months for him. He recognizes the good of what O'Brien and Krivsky set up and is only tweeking it, as he should, because what's in place in a championship-caliber team that just needs to play together and grow.

You seem to be targeting me.

This management team seems to target reclamation projects. Tavares......Hernandez..........guys that either get short term contracts (2 years or less) or have that remaining on their contract status (Hernandez). They never make a big splash, save for Cordero, which the previous GM did.

Before the season, I warned people that this was still a rebuilding year, but the competitor in me says our starting pitching is too good to let this year slide by. But the NL Central is really tough this season. I just think had they made a few more moves, which probably would have cost some money, they might be in first place. I think this city is ready for a big signing or trade, but the ownership seems content to let the young guys work at their own learning curve. Problem is.......in a few years, they will need to pay these young guys..........and then they will start either trading them away (like Oakland) and we will be right back where we started. So part of me wants to go for the gusto right now. Acquire Peavy and a big bat and roll the dice.

Va Red Fan
05-24-2009, 09:50 PM
It's who we got swept by that concerns me.

The Padres just finished a 9-0 homestand, including the Cubs. They are on an upswing - we were just the first to feel their surge. Still three over .500 despite a rash of injuries that has fallen on us quickly. I'm not worried and actually proud that a "B" line-up has been competitive and acutally has won as many as its lost. Its been a shakey pen that has cost us lately.

Va Red Fan
05-24-2009, 10:01 PM

Your self-fulfilling prediction is not coming true. The Reds are going to give their all and be competitive. Are they ready to win it all, not likely, but they are playing with energy every night and winning their share.

This is a young team that is still forming and they are doing great for a team that is putting a "B" line-up in the field most nights right now - minus their best hitter and now Phillips is sidelined as well. I applaud this young team and wish only good things for them.

Dusty has very little control over if this team wins. Managers are not very involved in actual wins and losses. Bad managers sometimes have great teams and win. Good managers, guys that were called genius at some point in their career, may go through long losing stretches - Lou Pinella in TB and leyland at different times. Dusty is as good a manager as the Reds have had in at least a decade. He will not be the salvation or doom of this team and I doubt with all that is within me that anyone could bring savior like change.

Va Red Fan
05-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I have to say, I see the original poster as being correct. Last night's lost is going to have ramifications of a few weeks..... Owings might not be right for a while. Overall, I do see us entering a tailspin that sends us below .500 (pathetic when you factor in not only did we blow two leads, but the two leads were blown to the Padres who had lost 6in a row!). I find myself saying, same old Reds team here that is a bunch of poor man's someone's and somehow I knew the few hours in first place were nice but it would only be a few hours. Same old Reds.

You too are very wrong. Horrificly wrong, as a matter of fact. The baseball season is a long journey with highs and lows along the way. Be patient and don't ake such rash statements.:rolleyes:

Mutaman
05-24-2009, 10:04 PM
This management team seems to target reclamation projects. Tavares......Hernandez..........guys that either get short term contracts (2 years or less) or have that remaining on their contract status (Hernandez). . Acquire Peavy and a big bat and roll the dice.

After watching them for two months its clear to me that Tavares and Hernandez (and Rhodes) are solid professionals who play hard. All good moves. Peavy wouldn't go to Chicago, why would he come here? And who is the "big bat" we want to acquire?

This team is doing all right under the circumstances. We need Votto, BP, EE, and Volquez to get healthy and we need Bruce to start hitting. Otherwise we are ok. For the first time in a long time I feel this recently sad organization is headed in the right direction.

Va Red Fan
05-24-2009, 10:10 PM
After watching them for two months its clear to me that Tavares and Hernandez (and Rhodes) are solid professionals who play hard. All good moves. Peavy wouldn't go to Chicago, why would he come here? And who is the "big bat" we want to acquire?

This team is doing all right under the circumstances. We need Votto, BP, EE, and Volquez to get healthy and we need Bruce to start hitting. Otherwise we are ok. For the first time in a long time I feel this recently sad organization is headed in the right direction.

For the firs time in a long time, I completely agree with someone on this board.

Mutaman
05-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Dusty has very little control over if this team wins. Managers are not very involved in actual wins and losses. Bad managers sometimes have great teams and win. Good managers, guys that were called genius at some point in their career, may go through long losing stretches - Lou Pinella in TB and leyland at different times. Dusty is as good a manager as the Reds have had in at least a decade. He will not be the salvation or doom of this team and I doubt with all that is within me that anyone could bring savior like change.

What a breath of fresh air. Great post. Of course Dusty could lead this team to the world championship and people would still be complaining about Correy Patterson and pitching Harang out in San Diego.

gedred69
05-24-2009, 11:18 PM
VA Red Fan, Mutaman, I'll join your optimistic posture. Too many posters on this site want to blame Dusty, or bemoan the signing of Taveras or Rhodes, or the trade for Hernandez, or Gonzo's offense, yada, yada. You'd think this team hadn't won ten games yet. I don't post much anymore, as I tire of those who see themselves as more knowing than any MLB Mgr. or GM.

Kingspoint
05-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Today's loss came from that extra-inning affair in San Diego. It was a disaster that takes a little time to adjust to.

We have great starting pitching.

We can handle a Volquez DL stint.

We can handle an Owings overuse.

We can handle an Arroyo overuse.

Having lost now 5 of 6, I expect us to win the next series taking 2 of 3 from Cleveland this Weekend and 2 of 3 from Houston to start next week followed by a nice day off before we take on the Division-Leading BrewCrew in Milwaukie next weekend. Volquez comes back following that series, and the real baseball season begins as June hits the schedule. We will have gotten through April and May with a plus .500 record, and that's a good thing.

So far, so good. Win one of the next two.

Patience is a virtue.

Dude Rock
05-25-2009, 11:37 PM

Don't get me wrong. I definitely think the organization is headed in the right direction.

What I said in my post was mostly out of fear that if they don't fix some of our remaining problems, we may miss our 3 year window of opportunity before all these youngsters have to be paid big bucks, and we have to decide who to keep and who to trade. I just don't want to miss out.

I'm fine with now. I fully expected this to be a trial and error season, to see which players work out and who doesn't, so management can figure out how to fill the holes.

But the fan side of me just gets worried that we will look up, three years will have past, and we will have been a bridesmaid and not the bride.

Captain Hook
05-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Don't get me wrong. I definitely think the organization is headed in the right direction.

What I said in my post was mostly out of fear that if they don't fix some of our remaining problems, we may miss our 3 year window of opportunity before all these youngsters have to be paid big bucks, and we have to decide who to keep and who to trade. I just don't want to miss out.

I'm fine with now. I fully expected this to be a trial and error season, to see which players work out and who doesn't, so management can figure out how to fill the holes.

But the fan side of me just gets worried that we will look up, three years will have past, and we will have been a bridesmaid and not the bride.

We have plenty of holes this year but we have done ok and could do even better imo with what we have now.I think that at all cost the pitching we have should be hung on to.I would only be ok with trading any pitcher if it were for another younger pitcher.Pitching is the reason we are doing ok.Pitching will win games.Pitching!Pitching!Pitching!

Ghosts of 1990
05-26-2009, 12:13 AM
The thread that wouldn't die! It's going to pop up all year long when we're real bad/real good haha.

Kingspoint
05-26-2009, 05:42 PM

DudeRock, there's no 3-year window on this team.

Kingspoint
05-26-2009, 05:44 PM
The thread that wouldn't die! It's going to pop up all year long when we're real bad/real good haha.

This thread, and the other "the sky is falling" threads, can go away gladly.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-26-2009, 06:17 PM
This thread, and the other "the sky is falling" threads, can go away gladly.

Finally I see another person that is getting tired of all the negativity on the boards

Va Red Fan
05-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Finally I see another person that is getting tired of all the negativity on the boards

I've never been ok with the negativity. If you are haters, then how can you be a true fan?

Also, the original post was wrong! Reds have beaten the 'stros two in a row and should have a good shot at the sweep tonight. All the "oh no, Wandy and Roy are on the mound - we have no shot" stuff makes me want to throw up.

Dude Rock
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
The end is near! The end is near!!!!

Hondo
05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
But they won last night!

keeganbrick
05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
We suck so bad..........

schmidty622
05-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Maybe the worst team ever.

Dude Rock
05-27-2009, 11:02 PM
I went to the game tonight and we are just terrible. ;)

fewfirstchoice
05-28-2009, 01:50 AM
You guys act like that I want the Reds to lose and be awful, well I dont. If you read my OP you will see Im a really big Reds fan and want them to win at all costs. But I will also admit when Im wrong and in the case of this thread I have been wrong so far. So Ill take my crow right now and enjoy it very much thank you.

Ghosts of 1990
05-28-2009, 02:59 AM
The future is now!

Zimmers
05-28-2009, 08:07 AM
You guys act like that I want the Reds to lose and be awful, well I dont. If you read my OP you will see Im a really big Reds fan and want them to win at all costs. But I will also admit when Im wrong and in the case of this thread I have been wrong so far. So Ill take my crow right now and enjoy it very much thank you.

I don't think it was that people think you wanted the Reds to lose. I think it was the fact they lost a few games and all the sudden people started panicking like yourself. The fact is the Reds if they finish above .500 it will be a success. I want them to win the whole damn thing but right now I don't see that happening but things could change!! The thing to remember is that all teams regardless if they are great or terrible will have great big ups and downs during the season. It's the ones that play consistent baseball at all times are the ones at the end. You could win 2 out of 3 baseball games and even tho it's only a 2-1 record over a whole season that's a heck of a record! :thumbup:

Maldez
05-28-2009, 08:10 AM

Hey, you took a shot at being The Great Seer, and bombed out. No big deal. But you gotta admit, you were feelin' pretty good about your call at first.

Dude Rock
05-28-2009, 09:30 AM

As they said in "Animal House"...........ASSUME THE POSITION! :D ;)

fewfirstchoice
05-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Hey, you took a shot at being The Great Seer, and bombed out. No big deal. But you gotta admit, you were feelin' pretty good about your call at first.

Yeah at first my prediction was looking pretty good but Im glad the slide stopped. But I wasnt trying to be a seer I was just going off what happened the last 5 years. The Reds have a good first month than they start to bomb. But lets hope they keep playing good baseball.

fewfirstchoice
05-28-2009, 12:43 PM

I will never assume the position because I dont swing that way...lol.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-28-2009, 01:33 PM
hmm...what would choice be saying if he was correct...now he's just making up for it because he was wrong...GET EM OUTTA HERE

fewfirstchoice
05-28-2009, 02:37 PM
hmm...what would choice be saying if he was correct...now he's just making up for it because he was wrong...GET EM OUTTA HERE

What would I be saying if my post came true? Well lets see. I would say the Reds have came back down to earth like they have the last 5 or so years. The Reds most of the time start out hot like they did and have this year. But so far this year they havent fallin off yet. They still could but I hope not. To say I need to get outta here is just non-sense

Shawn_RedsFan
05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I predict the Reds enter into a slide were they lose something like 15 out of he next 20 games or 20 out of the next 25 games. Its coming so be afraid, be very afraid.

:doh:

We all knew this team has been terrible the past years but it amazes me how Reds fans give up after one bad game...but when they are playing good baseball those same people are right back on the bandwagon UNTIL we go through a mini slump again....its the same thing with the players too....

defender
05-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Reds lose 5 of 6, don't get too down. Reds win 5 of 6, don't get too excited.

xavr1
05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
What would I be saying if my post came true? Well lets see. I would say the Reds have came back down to earth like they have the last 5 or so years. The Reds most of the time start out hot like they did and have this year. But so far this year they havent fallin off yet. They still could but I hope not. To say I need to get outta here is just non-sense

You are right about the Reds being streaky in the past and cooling off, but they havent been THIS hot at this point of the season since 2006 (when they didnt fall out of contention until very late). Last year at this point, the Reds were something like 20-26. Thats a much different start to this year than last.

Shawn_RedsFan
05-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Reds lose 5 of 6, don't get too down. Reds win 5 of 6, don't get too excited.

i agree with that, im not getting really excited just yet. i just dont see why people are complaining when thus far we are having one helluva season

Dude Rock
05-28-2009, 05:06 PM

You can't tell that this team is different? I could almost right away. Mainly because of the pitching and because of Votto taking hold as Da Man.

I don't expect them to win the division, but they are playing better than I thought they would. I thought they'd be about .500.

LouisvilleCARDS
05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
We're in exactly the same position we were after the sweep of Arizona, before the 5 game losing streak. Maybe now in the future some people won't go nuts over a slump. 8 of our past 10 losses were extremely close.

Dude Rock
05-28-2009, 07:14 PM
We're in exactly the same position we were after the sweep of Arizona, before the 5 game losing streak. Maybe now in the future some people won't go nuts over a slump. 8 of our past 10 losses were extremely close.

Of our 10 losses in May:

by 1 run: 5

by 2 runs: 3

by blowout: 2

I'd say we were in alot of games this month. :thumbup:

improbus
05-28-2009, 08:22 PM
A few amazing Reds stats:
-We have a .500 or better record at every stadium not named PetCo Park.
-We have the 7th best ERA in baseball. Our away ERA is 3.02!
-Our team OPS in May is .794, which is pretty solid (league average is .737)
-Our OBP is .332, which isn't great, but only 4 teams in the NL are over .340 (w/ the Dodgers at the ridiculous .375)
-The lead the league in sacrifices bunts (31)

Kingspoint
05-28-2009, 08:36 PM
You could win 2 out of 3 baseball games and even tho it's only a 2-1 record over a whole season that's a heck of a record! :thumbup:

That's as good as it gets.

That's your 1976 Cincinnati REDS....108 Wins, 54 Losses.

Kingspoint
05-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Nice!

Kingspoint
05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
A few amazing Reds stats:
-We have a .500 or better record at every stadium not named PetCo Park.
-We have the 7th best ERA in baseball. Our away ERA is 3.02!
-Our team OPS in May is .794, which is pretty solid (league average is .737)
-Our OBP is .332, which isn't great, but only 4 teams in the NL are over .340 (w/ the Dodgers at the ridiculous .375)
-The lead the league in sacrifices bunts (31)

3.02 Road ERA!?

Fanfrickinphenomenal!

Roush's socks
05-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Young players get better. Old players stay the same (hopefully) or get worse. For the last however many years the Reds were a team built around an old player, Griffey, who wasn't getting any better and was no longer a dominant player. Now the Reds are built around young players, Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto who all have great baseball futures. To me that is much better.

Dude Rock
05-29-2009, 02:05 PM
I will never assume the position because I dont swing that way...lol.

I guess you never saw the movie. There's nothing about swinging the other way. The fraternity pledges have to "assume the position".

Here's the video to help you understand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

BLEEDS
05-29-2009, 03:57 PM
reds lose 5 of 6, don't get too down. Reds win 5 of 6, don't get too excited.

unpossible!!!

Peace

-bleeds