PDA

View Full Version : Promotion Schedule

Benihana
05-16-2009, 06:20 PM
There are usually three main benchmark dates for promotions: Memorial Day, the All-Star Break, and September 1. With Memorial Day Weekend soon upon us, I thought I'd take an EXTREMELY PRELIMINARY look at some of the candidates for promotions. I want to note- this is obviously premature and subject to a lot of change, depending on how well these players perform going forward. Yet I'm bored, and I thought I'd chart out how I'd like to see them progress through the year:

MEMORIAL DAY

Johnny Gomes to Reds (hopefully McDonald is DFA'd)
Carlos Fisher to Reds (hopefully Lincon is DFA'd)
Chris Heisey to AAA (he has been the surprise of the season so far)
Yonder Alonso to AA (he's ready for Carolina right now)

ALL STAR BREAK

Homer Bailey to Reds (this is his last chance to stick with the big club, has been surprisingly very inconsistent so far :rolleyes:)
Josh Roenicke to Reds (he's 27 and should be ready for this)
Todd Fraizer to AAA (he needs to show some power first however, and I'd like to see him return to 3B)
Travis Wood to AAA (he may get promoted sooner with the way he's been pitching)
Zach Stewart to AA (ditto)
Matt Fairel to A+ (I'd promote him sooner, although he's been the only bright spot on the whole Dayton roster. I'd wait until the reinforcements come via the draft, and then send him to Sarasota)

SEPTEMBER 1

Drew Stubbs to Reds (he may make it sooner if Taveras gets injured. I'd like to see him show some power before he gets the call though.)
Drew Sutton to Reds (he's already 26 and should be ready for his shot by then)
Pedro Viola to Reds (another lefty to fill the Bray void, has looked great so far)
Matt Maloney/Ben Jukich/Ramon Ramirez/Daryl Thompson to Reds or perhaps traded at the deadline. (It's time for these guys to sh-t or get off the pot. The problem is that there may not be room for them in the rotation in Cincy. In that case, I would guess that a couple of them get packaged in a deal if they perform well enough, although I'd keep one or two of them around for depth in case a SP goes down. Thompson will probably be the most attractive trade bait, given his age and his stuff.)

OTHERS TO WATCH

Zach Cozart started off very hot but has cooled off lately. If he heats up again, he could make the jump to Louisville, as his glove is ML ready right now.
Jordan Smith could also make the jump to Louisville if he continues to pitch well. He could replace one of the Louisville arms if there is a void created by a trade.
Robert Manuel has done nothing but perform since he's been drafted, although he's likely behind Fisher, Roenicke and Viola on the call-up list.

Mario-Rijo
05-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I am gonna say we will go thru some AAA relief pitchers and soon. But I will go with Manuel and Viola ahead of Roenicke. I do think Fisher might get the next call up but then I think Viola could be the mid season call up and then Roenicke and Manuel in September.

LoganBuck
05-17-2009, 03:52 PM
According Fay's blog Dusty is hinting at Pedro Viola coming for Philly series.

dougdirt
05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
According Fay's blog Dusty is hinting at Pedro Viola coming for Philly series.

Why? Of the options at AAA Viola is at best the 3rd best option behind Fisher and Roenicke. I would argue Manuel may be a better option at this point too.

BEETTLEBUG
05-18-2009, 12:04 AM
It is because Viola is a Lefty

dougdirt
05-18-2009, 02:05 AM
It is because Viola is a Lefty

Thats a terrible way to base a decision....

Dude Rock
05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Dusty never does what the majority would think he should do. He always keeps you guessing. ;)

BEETTLEBUG
05-18-2009, 12:46 PM
That is true , Dusty makes you guess his moves doesn't Walt have some say so?

membengal
05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Thats a terrible way to base a decision....

Philly and Cleveland are lefty-heavy line-ups. It makes some sense to bring the lefty.

It's not like Viola has been bad.

Mario-Rijo
05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Philly and Cleveland are lefty-heavy line-ups. It makes some sense to bring the lefty.

I agree. But in the end I would have rather had any of them than Ramirez. Don't get me wrong I like Ramirez but I would have preferred an arm that misses more bats. Plus I have been wanting to see more of these other guys.

GOYA
05-18-2009, 07:19 PM

His last game was horrible. .1 IP and 3 walks and a grand slam.

membengal
05-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Right. So one bad game, and he's now unpromotable? What if that one bad game had come first? Then he's fine?

Goodness, small sample size indeed.

GOYA
05-19-2009, 12:31 AM
I didn't say a thing about him being promotable or not. I addressed your statement that he hasn't been bad.

dougdirt
05-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Right. So one bad game, and he's now unpromotable? What if that one bad game had come first? Then he's fine?

Goodness, small sample size indeed.

The fact that he can't find the strikezone makes him currently unpromotable. The fact that at least two other relievers are having much better seasons also makes him unpromotable.

membengal
05-19-2009, 07:31 AM
I didn't say a thing about him being promotable or not. I addressed your statement that he hasn't been bad.

So your argument is that he has been bad?

Firmly disagree. One bad outing doesn't make him bad.

For the year:

15 IP 7 hits 10 walks 16 Ks 3.00 ERA 1.13 WHIP

So, yeah. One bad game. I don't know why that makes him bad. If you are saying that I should have added "for the year" to my statement, then I add it now. But that's being needlessly picky. I said "he hasn't been bad" which was referring to his year, not to his last game only. And he hasn't. Overall, he's been just fine.

Again, if you don't think so, then we are at an agree to disagree point.

And, nowhere was I advocating for his call-up. Simply responding to Doug's wondering why the Reds would look at a lefty (IF that is what they were doing). The Phils and Indians are lefty dominated. Viola is a lefty who hasn't been bad. That's all.

camisadelgolf
05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Of the relievers that were cut, Viola had the most impressive spring training. Then, I'm sure Baker heard all about Viola's huge tear in AAA in which he went all those consecutive appearances without allowing a run. For the most part, Viola has been dominant, and when you combine that with him being left-handed, it makes sense to bring him up.

If you want to make the argument that Fisher would be a better call-up, I wouldn't disagree with you, but I'm refreshed to see that the Reds aren't letting options be the determining factor in who is on the team--instead, they're trying to put together the best team possible. If the current trend continues, we could see the Reds cut bait with Mike Lincoln and bring up Fisher or Roenicke around the All-Star break. It's also inevitable that injuries for another call-up anyway.

GOYA
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
So your argument is that he has been bad?

Firmly disagree. One bad outing doesn't make him bad.

How we lookin'?

membengal
05-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Cool. He got hit again.

I still don't think he's "bad". You apparently do.

I will assume that you think Chris Heisey is "bad" because he went 0 for 5 in his last game? And that Homer is "good" again after his last game? But was "bad" before that?

I am a bit confused as to your point, since you seem to reacting in micro and I was making a macro observation.

GOYA
05-19-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75619

Read that.

The big picture doesn't matter when Viola is currently worse than awful. This is a thread about calling players up. Until his problems are pinpointed and solved, he doesn't merit a mention here.

Kingspoint
05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Dusty never does what the majority would think he should do. He always keeps you guessing. ;)

It's not Baker's decision.

Walt will make the decision based on what he thinks best for the overall organization. Dusty's input is minimal in this.

dougdirt
05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
It's not Baker's decision.

Walt will make the decision based on what he thinks best for the overall organization. Dusty's input is minimal in this.

I would believe that if I didn't see the same 'Dusty' moves over and over regardless of the GM.

TC81190
05-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Bailey beat his scheduled date big time.