PDA

View Full Version : Thom can sure ask some stupid questions

RFS62
05-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Just heard Thom asking why they don't let both pitchers warm up for five minutes on the mound on the playing field instead in the bullpen.

Apparently he's trying to figure out why some pitchers struggle in the first inning.

IMO, it's all mental. Just like when you have a really good warm up on the driving range before a round of golf and it's somehow completely different when you tee it up on the first hole.

That's the difference. It's a different mental state and some pitchers take longer to settle down and focus than others.

GAC
05-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Both Thom and Cowboy are a couple of long-winded annoucers. Cowboy feels he has to give these vast explanations as if the viewers don't know anything about the game and need him to break it down. Very tedious IMO.

pedro
05-17-2009, 03:26 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. Thom just has no clue what is going on.

Homer Bailey
05-17-2009, 04:04 AM

That's just flat out not true. Thom has seen a lot of baseball, and knows a lot about what he is talking about. Sometime he just thinks outloud, but there is no doubt that the man knows baseball.

Hap
05-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Thom has seen a lot of baseball, and knows baseball.

I more or less agree with your statement.

I will add that he sometimes doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows and he tends to get long-winded about his opinions. Anyone care to guess whom might have taught him those two traits?

traderumor
05-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I think Tom was thinking out loud here, an inane discussion, I'll give you that. But later, it was quite humorous listening to them try to figure out why Owings couldn't pinch hit when the game was tied.

RFS62
05-17-2009, 10:05 AM

You really see the disconnect when he's talking to a former player in the booth. He just flat out doesn't understand the game from a players perspective in many cases.

Of course he knows a lot about baseball, and he's seen more games in person than all of us put together. But he misses the mark a lot on fundamental things a player would know.

VR
05-17-2009, 12:01 PM
You really see the disconnect when he's talking to a former player in the booth. He just flat out doesn't understand the game from a players perspective in many cases.

Of course he knows a lot about baseball, and he's seen more games in person than all of us put together. But he misses the mark a lot on fundamental things a player would know.

"Joey, have you ever hung around a gymnasium?"

"Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

westofyou
05-17-2009, 12:11 PM

Thom doesn't place himself in the performers shoes, he's been weaned to approach the game in a critics chair and as a conduit for action. The problem is he doesn't place himself in the role of the man doing the job from that mans perspective, he seems to place himself between the actions and the actual task and that creates a distance that is noticeable when the subject of sports empathy sneaks into the situation, Thom seems to be immune to that feeling. he's too busy trying to find a way to break down the moment and vocalize it.

pedro
05-17-2009, 12:22 PM
That's just flat out not true. Thom has seen a lot of baseball, and knows a lot about what he is talking about. Sometime he just thinks outloud, but there is no doubt that the man knows baseball.

Well then he is apparently just so mesmerized by the sound of his own voice that he doesn't even listen to what he is saying because a lot of the time it is utter nonsense. I know it's hard when a game goes on that long but by the end last night it was getting ridiculous.

GADawg
05-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I can't think of any announcer that doesn't get on someone's nerves...Thom's alright for me and I always feel like Welsh is better with him. 'Ole George is the one that does me in but I'm also sure that lots of folks love to listen to him but no one can drone on and on like him IMO.

Marty's kind of a lightening rod(understatement I realize)but in a strange way it's always comforting to hear his voice...i guess because I've been listening to him since I was a kid and now Thom sounds enough like him that it's also kind of comforting.

tommycash
05-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I can't think of any announcer that doesn't get on someone's nerves...Thom's alright for me and I always feel like Welsh is better with him. 'Ole George is the one that does me in but I'm also sure that lots of folks love to listen to him but no one can drone on and on like him IMO.

Marty's kind of a lightening rod(understatement I realize)but in a strange way it's always comforting to hear his voice...i guess because I've been listening to him since I was a kid and now Thom sounds enough like him that it's also kind of comforting.

I agree. I would take Thom all day over George Grande.

pedro
05-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I agree. I would take Thom all day over George Grande.

That's like saying you'd rather be stabbed rather than shot but I do agree.

I will say this, I've listened to the reds radio broadcast a few times lately and it seems that Marty likes this Reds team better than those of the past few years and I think that makes him much more pleasant to listen to.

cincinnati chili
05-18-2009, 02:11 AM

I think I'd rather be shot, but I like the analogy.

RANDY IN INDY
05-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I have tried to listen to many of the visiting team's annnouncers on XM radio, and that, somehow, makes me appreciate even the worst of the Reds announcers. There are some that are nearly un-listenable for me.

Ron Madden
05-19-2009, 04:31 AM
I swear, I'd rather listen to anyone but Brantley.

camisadelgolf
05-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I can envision Brantley or T. Brenneman being good halves of a duo, but the two together is just horrible imo. They both try too hard to make conversation out of nothing, so they end up talking for a long time about nothing and rarely make it interesting.

pedro
05-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I have tried to listen to many of the visiting team's annnouncers on XM radio, and that, somehow, makes me appreciate even the worst of the Reds announcers. There are some that are nearly un-listenable for me.

I found teh Padres announcers this weekend awful.

Chip R
05-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I found teh Padres announcers this weekend awful.

Jerry Coleman still doing their games?

pedro
05-19-2009, 01:59 PM

I don't know. I was listening on radio and whoever they were they were very annoying... kind of like FM morning radio goofballs.

westofyou
05-19-2009, 02:02 PM

Ted Leitner and Andy Masur had their contracts extended by the team on Friday.

Leitner, who is finishing his 29th season as the play-by-play voice of the Padres as well as his 29th consecutive season working alongside partner Jerry Coleman, signed a two-year deal with a club option for a third season.

Masur, who is finishing his second season with the Padres, signed a two-year deal. The announcement was made on Friday by Jeff Overton, the Padres executive vice president for business operations.

"We are pleased to announce that Ted will celebrate his 30th year behind the microphone during our 40th anniversary season," Overton said in a statement. "Ted is as much a part of Padres Baseball as any player or figure in franchise history. Andy is a true professional who fit in immediately and rounds out a stellar broadcast crew."

With Coleman returning -- he is under contract through 2009 -- the radio team remains intact for 2009. Once again, games will be broadcast on XX Sports Radio (1090 AM/105.7 FM).

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080926&content_id=3554985&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

REDREAD
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM

I will say this, I've listened to the reds radio broadcast a few times lately and it seems that Marty likes this Reds team better than those of the past few years and I think that makes him much more pleasant to listen to.

I agree. Marty has been better this year. I hope he maintains this better atttitude if the team slips below 500.

He was really unbearable to listen to last year, I practically stopped listening to the radio about 1/2 way through last season.

The thing that bothers me is this: If Marty was a true professional, hall of famer, he should be able to give a quality broadcast for a 5th place team. He clearly can't do that.

I don't know. Maybe Marty is happy that Dunn is gone. Maybe some of his other least favorite players are gone too. Maybe that has a lot to do with his better attitude.

remdog
05-19-2009, 03:27 PM
The thing that bothers me is this: If Marty was a true professional, hall of famer, he should be able to give a quality broadcast for a 5th place team. He clearly can't do that.

:clap: That's the best sumation I've seen in all of the discussions about Marty. :clap:

Rem