PDA

View Full Version : Volquez's injury

fearofpopvol1
05-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Hopefully it's not serious. Looked to be something back related.

dougdirt
05-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Better back related than arm related...

Mario-Rijo
05-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Better back related than arm related...

I'm sure that is so but I hurt my back in late Aug. '07 same injury as Joe Mauer and it's not healed as of yet. It's almost not gotten any better at all despite some rigorous PT. EV though doesn't appear to be having the same problem as I he seem to be reaching mid back his left side of the spine.

OnBaseMachine
05-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Mild back spasms for Volquez.

Big Klu
05-17-2009, 04:54 AM
He seemed to be pointing at the thoracic area of his back. I'm not a doctor, but I have had back pain before. In my experience, pain in the thoracic area is not as severe as pain in the lumbar region.

lollipopcurve
05-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Let's hope it's not the oblique.

Big Klu
05-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Let's hope it's not the oblique.

That sure is a popular injury right now, isn't it? Flavor-of-the-month, so to speak.

RED VAN HOT
05-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Hopefully, it is not serious.

I am beginning to think that I am the San Diego jinx. I was at Qualcomm Stadium when Browning broke his arm and Rijo, threw the pitch that ended his career for all practical purposes. Last year I attended the 18 inning game and last night I was at the 16 inning one. I am sorry to say that I will be attending the game today. If anything untoward happens, I promise not to attend any games here in the future.

_Sir_Charles_
05-17-2009, 12:07 PM

I am beginning to think that I am the San Diego jinx. I was at Qualcomm Stadium when Browning broke his arm and Rijo, threw the pitch that ended his career for all practical purposes. Last year I attended the 18 inning game and last night I was at the 16 inning one. I am sorry to say that I will be attending the game today. If anything untoward happens, I promise not to attend any games here in the future.

*waiting for Bronson's carpal tunnel to flare up and for his head to literally explode*

Nah, we won't blame you ENTIRELY for it. I'm sure it'll be Dusty's fault somehow too. :O)

Mario-Rijo
05-17-2009, 05:55 PM

Good grief RVH what in the name of Zeus are you trying to do to our beloved Reds? Tell me you have attended Reds games where something crazy didn't happen.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Volquez to miss a start?
Posted by TomGroeschen at 5/20/2009 4:29 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Edinson Volquez said a few moments ago that he might consider skipping his next start, tentatively set for Saturday against Cleveland. Volquez came out of last Saturday's game because of mild spasms in his back, and he felt it again when he tried to throw at GABP today.

"For me, it might be better if I missed a start," Volquez said. "I told Dusty (Baker), and he's gonna talk to (pitching coach) Dick (Pole) about it. I've got a lot of confidence in whatever Dusty does."

The Volquez revelation came shortly after Baker's daily media session, so Baker is not yet available to discuss what he might do. We'll have to wait for postgame for that, probably.

Before Volquez told Baker his thoughts, the tentative rotation looked like this:
Tonight-Aaron Harang v Phils; Thursday-Micah Owings v Phils; Friday-Bronson Arroyo vs. Cleveland; Saturday-Volquez vs. Cleveland; Sunday-Johnny Cueto vs. Cleveland.

Baker had already tentatively switched Arroyo and Volquez, after Volquez earlier this afternoon told Baker he was still having troubles. Now ... we'll see.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3afbe6d3d2-6481-4289-98ec-69543ce2e010&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

cincy09
05-20-2009, 04:48 PM
That fits the schedule of one Homer Bailey.

Is that something the Reds may consider?

lollipopcurve
05-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Edinson Volquez said a few moments ago that he might consider skipping his next start, tentatively set for Saturday against Cleveland. Volquez came out of last Saturday's game because of mild spasms in his back, and he felt it again when he tried to throw at GABP today.

"For me, it might be better if I missed a start," Volquez said. "I told Dusty (Baker), and he's gonna talk to (pitching coach) Dick (Pole) about it. I've got a lot of confidence in whatever Dusty does."

The Volquez revelation came shortly after Baker's daily media session, so Baker is not yet available to discuss what he might do. We'll have to wait for postgame for that, probably.

Before Volquez told Baker his thoughts, the tentative rotation looked like this:
Tonight-Aaron Harang v Phils; Thursday-Micah Owings v Phils; Friday-Bronson Arroyo vs. Cleveland; Saturday-Volquez vs. Cleveland; Sunday-Johnny Cueto vs. Cleveland.

Baker had already tentatively switched Arroyo and Volquez, after Volquez earlier this afternoon told Baker he was still having troubles. Now ... we'll see.

Ah yes, so now because the player himself has decided he might want to miss 1 start and 1 start only, we should keep him active -- but unusable -- for awhile until he decides when he should pitch again. Of course, Dusty will give him that extra day or two after Volquez says he's ready.... In the meantime, Owings and Ramirez can both spot start and fill in as long guys, whenever. And it may become necessary to keep Harang, Arroyo or Cueto on their regular rest at times, too, but somebody will need to talk to Dick Pole about it.

In other words, I have no faith in the organization's ability to deal effectively with this one.

Reds Fanatic
05-20-2009, 04:59 PM

I wonder if they may decide to use Ramirez who was just brought up to make a spot start. If they would decide to put Volquez on the DL he would not be eligible to start again until June 1st.

Sea Ray
05-20-2009, 05:03 PM
If he's saying he ought to miss a start then book it. He'll miss at least one start. Luckily we've got some off days. I would consider throwing him on the DL

_Sir_Charles_
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM

I wouldn't. I'd just let Ramirez throw that day. That's one of the main purposes of having a long man in the pen...the spot start.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I read somewhere that Volquez says he feels about 70% right now. For his sake, I hope the Reds skip his next start if he's still hurting. There's no sense in risking further injury.

RED VAN HOT
05-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Good grief RVH what in the name of Zeus are you trying to do to our beloved Reds? Tell me you have attended Reds games where something crazy didn't happen.

With the announcement that Volquez is going to the DL and Votto still not back, my San Diego attendance jinx continues. Just to be safe I am canceling my plans to attend games later this year in either San Fran or Denver.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm usually more optimistic than many Reds fans...but after him being injurred again after 1 inning...put me in the pessimist group.

The Reds' season is over.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm usually more optimistic than many Reds fans...but after him being injurred again after 1 inning...put me in the pessimist group.

The Reds' season is over.

Sad but true.

Vada Pinson Fan
06-01-2009, 09:05 PM
We have to hope for the best with Edinson and Joey plus the seemingly unending list of injuries this season for the Reds. But at least, if it's any consolation, the Reds haven't been hit as hard as some teams (a "try to feel better" approach :) ). Look for Homer to be back asap if Volquez needs more time off.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Numbness in the pinkie finger and ring finger for Volquez. Likely an elbow injury--almost certainly a DL visit.

Time to call up Maloney. I don't see any other option.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Numbness in the pinkie finger and ring finger for Volquez. Likely an elbow injury--almost certainly a DL visit.

Time to call up Maloney. I don't see any other option.

Hopefully nothing in the elbow...if it's just pinkie/ring finger...that may be a 15 day trip. But I'm with you...I don't see how you can deny Maloney here. He's been on fire and has earned it.

Virginia Beach Reds
06-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Plus Maloney is a lefty, something we have needed all year. Tough break on Volquez. Hopefully not something that needs the knife.

Ltlabner
06-01-2009, 09:48 PM
The Reds' season was over before it started.

Just wanted to clean that up a bit.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2009, 09:52 PM

I don't agree. They had the players to at least be in the thick of things and with another move or 2 during the season, could've contended. Now, that seems far less likely.

Larkin Fan
06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Hopefully nothing in the elbow...if it's just pinkie/ring finger...that may be a 15 day trip. But I'm with you...I don't see how you can deny Maloney here. He's been on fire and has earned it.

A symptom like that doesn't point to it being nothing in the elbow. Ever hit your funny bone and feel that tingling sensation in your hand? Ironically, the funny bone isn't really even a bone. It's where the ulnar nerve runs over the medial epicondyle of the humerus to reach the forearm and hand. Numbness in the "pinky" finger and the pinky side of the ring finger indicates injury to the ulnar nerve. He may have a fracture in the elbow or there could simply be an impingement of the nerve (a pinched nerve). Unfortunately, ulnar nerve injuries are very common for pitchers because of the repeated stress on the elbow.

Hope they're able to get it solved quickly!

cincrazy
06-01-2009, 10:35 PM

I don't agree with that assessment. If completely healthy this team could have given it a run. At least until July, when Walt could have added some pieces.

edabbs44
06-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Most promising season in a while...watching younger, talented players is so much more fun than watching guys who have one foot in the retirement home.

Cyclone792
06-01-2009, 11:18 PM
A symptom like that doesn't point to it being nothing in the elbow. Ever hit your funny bone and feel that tingling sensation in your hand? Ironically, the funny bone isn't really even a bone. It's where the ulnar nerve runs over the medial epicondyle of the humerus to reach the forearm and hand. Numbness in the "pinky" finger and the pinky side of the ring finger indicates injury to the ulnar nerve. He may have a fracture in the elbow or there could simply be an impingement of the nerve (a pinched nerve). Unfortunately, ulnar nerve injuries are very common for pitchers because of the repeated stress on the elbow.

Hope they're able to get it solved quickly!

Ulnar nerve is the first thing I thought of when hearing it. I screwed up the ulnar nerve in my left arm two years ago sleeping on it, and I still have tingling sensations in my pinky and ring fingers on that hand from time to time.

wheels
06-01-2009, 11:29 PM
This is an ulnar nerve. Right? Not the ulnar collateral ligament.

I hope.

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2009, 12:43 AM
On Volquez and resiliency
Posted by JohnFay at 6/2/2009 12:07 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Edinson Volquez said he felt a tingling sensation down his arm into his fingers after throwing a fastball to Colby Ramus in the first. He finished the inning, throwing mostly curveballs.

“It’s crazy,” he said. “I never felt it before.”

Volquez said his arm and hand felt normal after the game. He'll go back to Cincinnati and get it checked out.

The Reds will probably make a decision before tomorrow's game. They could keep Jared Burton on the roster.
Volquez did not seem overly concerned. But he's one happy-go-lucky guy.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a97ed9353-4100-4080-aaa8-89bc897e3e69&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

mbgrayson
06-02-2009, 01:13 AM
I just hope Volquez doesn't have more serious back problems than we've been told.

If he has a herniated cervical disk with impingement, it could have symptoms of numbness and tingling in his arm and hands.

CERVICAL DISC HERNIATION (http://www.lajollaspine.com/sddh_cerv_over.shtml)
Symptoms
Neck pain, shoulder, arm or hand pain, weakness in the upper or lower extremities, lack of coordination, imbalance when walking, bowel or bladder incontinence.

General Overview
A cervical disc herniation (herniated disc) is a rupture and/or bulge of an interverterbral disc in the neck. The intervertebral disc is a complex spongy structure which consists of a central sticky gelatinous portion, the nucleus, and an outer fibrous ring of tissue, the annulus. These discs are found along the entire spine from the neck all the way down to the lowest part of the back. The function of this disc is to permit motion of the spine while also acting as a shock absorber and connecting link between each vertebral body. The outer layer, the annulus, may actually tear and result in extrusion or bulge of the inner part of the disc, the nucleus. This is called a disc herniation.

The nerve may become irritated either as a result of chemical reaction to an injured disc and/or to compression from the herniated disc itself. The space in which nerves normally sit is quite small and there is minimal free space. The symptoms from this irritation can range from numbness, tingling and pain to bladder dysfunction, weakness and even partial paralysis. The particular area of the body which is affected depends upon which nerve is being irritated by the herniated disc.

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Have no fear, Volquez probably OK
By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 12:19 AM

There was fear in the Cincinnati Reds dugout when Edinson Volquez walked off the mound after the first inning, but fear not.

It probably is not that bad.

After Volquez left his assignment to face the St. Louis Cardinals after only one inning, it was announced that he had numbness in the pinky and ring fingers of his pitching hand. Not good. Not good at all.

After the game, though, Volquez described it was a tingling than ran down his arm and into his fingers. And it was only on one pitch.

He is going back to Cincinnati tomorrow to have it checked, but the guess here is that it was much ado about nothing and he’ll take his next turn.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/02/there_was_fear_in_the.html

membengal
06-02-2009, 06:43 AM
I think the entire thing was a plot from Edinson to make Lincoln a hero. Well done, Volquez! Mad genius.

Jpup
06-02-2009, 07:18 AM

There was fear in the Cincinnati Reds dugout when Edinson Volquez walked off the mound after the first inning, but fear not.

After Volquez left his assignment to face the St. Louis Cardinals after only one inning, it was announced that he had numbness in the pinky and ring fingers of his pitching hand. Not good. Not good at all.

After the game, though, Volquez described it was a tingling than ran down his arm and into his fingers. And it was only on one pitch.

He is going back to Cincinnati tomorrow to have it checked, but the guess here is that it was much ado about nothing and he’ll take his next turn.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/02/there_was_fear_in_the.html

or Edinson is saying that because he wants to keep pitching for his guys. He hates the DL and may not understand how serious something like this could be. He could just have some problems stemming from the back injury, but something more serious is my bet. Just thinking out loud. I hope he's OK.

Strikes Out Looking
06-02-2009, 08:23 AM
I know I am a broken record on this, but I wish the Reds had a different medical opinion to seek than the teams "Medical Director." I don't think his diagnoses and the time they come back are very accurate. Just my two cents...

durl
06-02-2009, 08:46 AM
C'mon, people. Let's wait and see what's up with Volquez before declare the season a complete loss. He may not even miss another start...we just don't know yet.

Will M
06-02-2009, 10:21 AM

see the ortho doc. get MRIs of the cervical spine, shoulder & elbow. cost of the 3 MRIs is ~$3000. massive overkill for a common joe with tingling in the arm but a wise use of money for a major league baseball team. get the correct diagnosis right away.

Falls City Beer
06-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm glad Dr. Hal McCoy has weighed in on this issue, and cleared Edinson to pitch.

_Sir_Charles_
06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
or Edinson is saying that because he wants to keep pitching for his guys. He hates the DL and may not understand how serious something like this could be. He could just have some problems stemming from the back injury, but something more serious is my bet. Just thinking out loud. I hope he's OK.

If we take Edinson at his word, then I'm not too worried. It was only on the one pitch, and he didn't feel it at all when he went to the curveball. If it was something more serious, he'd feel it with both pitches.

PuffyPig
06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm glad Dr. Hal McCoy has weighed in on this issue, and cleared Edinson to pitch.

I guess he is entitled to his opinion. Such as it is. But no different than you declaring him due for a "lengthy DL stint" likely ending in "surgery".

Falls City Beer
06-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I guess he is entitled to his opinion. Such as it is. But no different than you declaring him due for a "lengthy DL stint" likely ending in "surgery".

I think it's very different. I'm not a newspaper columnist.

OldXOhio
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Ain't that the truth - Doctor Hal says he's "probably" ok. And all along I thought he was in pre-law?

Chip R
06-02-2009, 11:20 AM

But did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Chip R
06-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Ain't that the truth - Doctor Hal says he's "probably" ok. And all along I thought he was in pre-law?

What's the difference? ;)

BRM
06-02-2009, 03:42 PM
The Reds will have a medical update on Volquez between 6:00 and 6:30 ET, according to Fay.

GAC
06-02-2009, 05:18 PM

You're also not a doctor! j/king :mooner:

BRM
06-02-2009, 05:19 PM
The tests on RHP Edinson Volquez are back. He has right elbow tendinitis and won't do any baseball activity for at least 7-10 days. The Reds will put him back on the 15-day disabled list and pending MLB approval, will recall reliever Jared Burton.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

GAC
06-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Doctor: Well then. Stop throwing that pitch and the problem is solved. :p:

medford
06-02-2009, 05:20 PM
So Burton gets 3 more days in the show, then gets sent back down again and Maloney gets a 2 start audition and we see where Edison stands in 2 weeks.

GAC
06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
The tests on RHP Edinson Volquez are back. He has right elbow tendinitis and won't do any baseball activity for at least 7-10 days. The Reds will put him back on the 15-day disabled list and pending MLB approval, will recall reliever Jared Burton.

://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

Hmmm. Maybe I'm missing something here, but who fills EV's spot in the rotation if he is to miss a start or two?

BRM
06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I'm missing something here, but who fills EV's spot in the rotation if he is to miss a start or two?

Masset would be my guess unless another move is made.

Kc61
06-02-2009, 06:25 PM
So Burton gets 3 more days in the show, then gets sent back down again and Maloney gets a 2 start audition and we see where Edison stands in 2 weeks.

This looks like exactly what will happen, barring some other unforeseen event between now and Saturday. Maloney is right on schedule for a Saturday start.

Meanwhile, after last night's heavy bullpen use, Burton gets to stick around for four days in case the Reds need to go deep into the pen in that span.

remdog
06-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I just re-read the posts above and realized I hadn't correctly comprehended, the first time, what they were saying. Never mind. Sorry.

Rem

Kc61
06-02-2009, 06:45 PM
IIRC, with MLB approval, which the Reds have asked for, Burton goes on the active roster immediately and, therefor, his stay is longer than 3-4 days as suggested. A player can be brought back immediately if he is needed because of an injury to another player.

Rem

Burton can stay indefinitely. But likely the Reds will send him down this weekend when Maloney comes up to start Saturday. Not by rule, but by choice.

Unless somebody else messes up and the Reds decide to send that pitcher out instead. Or unless a spot is opened by another guy getting DL'd.

There is no other reasonable alternative. Massett can't start, he's worked one inning at a time, he's not stretched out to start. I guess they could try Lincoln but he's not a starter. They could go with a four man rotation, but please no.

Somebody likely goes down Saturday and a starter, probably Maloney, comes up.

MikeS21
06-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I know I am a broken record on this, but I wish the Reds had a different medical opinion to seek than the teams "Medical Director." I don't think his diagnoses and the time they come back are very accurate. Just my two cents...
Except for the small fact that Kremcheck is the guy who other teams send their players to for surgery. It seems to me that if he is as poor a doctor as we have accused him of being, then other teams would stop using him.

Believe it or not, Doc Kremcheck is highly regarded as one of the top sports/orthopedic surgeons in the country - right up there with Dr. James Andrews and Dr. Frank Jobe.

TheNext44
06-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Poetically, (not ironically) Volquez was put on the DL the same day as Josh Hamilton. Hamilton's injury seems a bit worse, as the Rangers are saying he is out indefinitely.

Looks like year 2 will be a tie was well, due to inconclusive data.

Chip R
06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
There is no other reasonable alternative. Massett can't start, he's worked one inning at a time, he's not stretched out to start. I guess they could try Lincoln but he's not a starter. They could go with a four man rotation, but please no.

Bronson would have 3 days rest by Saturday. He's done it before and probably would do it again. Dusty may be hesitant to go with the youngster in such an important series.

klw
06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9639970/Reds-place-Volquez-on-DL-with-elbow-tendinitis

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Cincinnati Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez went back on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with tendinitis in his right elbow, a day after he lasted only one inning in his first start off the DL.

Reds medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek, who examined Volquez in Cincinnati, said the right-hander will not throw for 7 to 10 days. Manager Dusty Baker said Kremchek told him the pitcher will be "fine, big time."

"It's not bad news," Baker said. "It's the best news it could be for bad news."

Baker said Volquez's heavy workload might have factored into his injury woes. He worked 196 innings last year, then played in the Dominican Winter League to prepare for the World Baseball Classic.

"I was very apprehensive about the whole thing," Baker said. "We weren't crazy about him pitching at all."

The Reds recalled right-handed reliever Jared Burton from Triple-A Louisville. Burton had been optioned to Louisville on Monday when Volquez came off the DL from back spasms.

Baker will have to come up with a starter for Saturday's home game against the Cubs, which would have been Volquez's turn.

"We've got an idea," Baker said. "We may want to wait just in case something happens, and whoever it is you don't want that person thinking about it for four or five days."

Volquez left his first start since May 16 after allowing a run and two hits in the first inning Monday against the Cardinals, complaining of numbness in the pinky and ring fingers of his pitching hand. He's 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA.

Baker said Volquez never mentioned numbness before Monday's start, speculating that the pitcher might have believed he was experiencing normal soreness.

"If every time you felt something you sat down, most of us would never play," Baker said. "But it set off an alarm because he had never said anything to us about it."

Baker moved slumping Jay Bruce, 1 for 16 with one RBI in the first five games of a seven-game trip, to second in the batting order for Tuesday's game against the Cardinals. Baker said Bruce needs to work on his pitch selection and believes that spot could be helpful.

"You can tell he's getting frustrated," the manager said. "Just because they're supposed to throw you strikes doesn't mean they're going to throw you strikes. They're teasing him out of the zone."

Utilityman Jerry Hairston Jr. missed his second straight start with flu-like symptoms but Baker said Hairston was feeling better and would probably play Wednesday. Center fielder Willy Taveras was back in the leadoff slot after missing three starts with tightness in his right hamstring.

TheNext44
06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Poetically, (not ironically) Volquez was put on the DL the same day as Josh Hamilton.

Not to sound paranoid, but I think C. Trent Rosecrans is spying on me. :cool:

http://ctrentrosecrans.com/2009/06/03/thinking-out-loud-639/

* What an odd coincidence (not irony) that Josh Hamilton and Edinson Volquez go on the disabled list on the same day.