PDA

View Full Version : Umpire...

mroby85
05-17-2009, 01:33 AM
This umpire is absolutely RIDICULOUS!! I've never seen anything like it with his strikezone. I swear he should be fired after this game, it's unbelievable.

Atlas Jobinson
05-17-2009, 02:28 AM
Absolutely, his strike zone has been changing the whole night. Thom was correct in his little rant on TV about how 95% of umpires are doing their jobs right, but this is awful.

Slyder
05-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Absolutely, his strike zone has been changing the whole night. Thom was correct in his little rant on TV about how 95% of umpires are doing their jobs right, but this is awful.

Both teams have to deal with him, so its not like theres any real injustice. Both teams have to go up to the plate guessing where the strike zone will be. Unless you want to go to Questec.

FlyerFanatic
05-17-2009, 02:54 AM
i made a note of it in the game thread. didnt it look like the ump was trying to start something with weathers? thats just totally unprofessional, as an ump you know you could get barked at by players/coaches...stop staring down and saying words to players

mroby85
05-17-2009, 03:09 AM
i made a note of it in the game thread. didnt it look like the ump was trying to start something with weathers? thats just totally unprofessional, as an ump you know you could get barked at by players/coaches...stop staring down and saying words to players

Yeah, he definitely was, Weathers was a lot calmer than I could've been at that point.

BluegrassRedleg
05-17-2009, 04:07 AM
The most disappointing thing to me (beyond his inconsistency all night) was the fact that everything became a strike late extra innings. He goes from squeezing the hell out of people for nine innings to trying to get his butt home when the game goes 5+ hours.

Just a poor job back there.

Fon Duc Tow
05-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I haven't seen a game called like that from behind home plate in quite a few years.

Both TV and Radio announcers said he was louder than usual. Which anyone with ears knew already.
Tiny strike zone...then erratic strike zone, then big strike zone.
Then his walk down the base line toward Weathers...(challenging him?)
Plus the stupid fu-man-chu that a certain personality type always seems to "sport."

I agree. If I was Weathers I would have been thrown out of that game, not taken out.

Plus, some people's logic here is hilarious. "Its ok that he called a terrible game, because, y'know, he called a terrible game for both sides..."

What?

Slyder
05-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I haven't seen a game called like that from behind home plate in quite a few years.

Both TV and Radio announcers said he was louder than usual. Which anyone with ears knew already.
Tiny strike zone...then erratic strike zone, then big strike zone.
Then his walk down the base line toward Weathers...(challenging him?)
Plus the stupid fu-man-chu that a certain personality type always seems to "sport."

I agree. If I was Weathers I would have been thrown out of that game, not taken out.

Plus, some people's logic here is hilarious. "Its ok that he called a terrible game, because, y'know, he called a terrible game for both sides..."

What?

Not saying Its okay that he called a terrible game both ways. Just that it was the same for both teams.

Ghosts of 1990
05-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Jim Joyce cost us a very valuable win on the west coast. I wouldn't give the bum a mop job.

mroby85
05-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Not saying Its okay that he called a terrible game both ways. Just that it was the same for both teams.

Couldn't anyone be a major league umpire if this was the qualification?
Not to mention, it wasn't even at all in my opinion, and i'm not one to cry about calls or blame games on officials, he was garbage, and screwed the Reds.

thorn
05-17-2009, 01:16 PM

I was at the game last night, Weathers starred him down as he walked off the field, mumbled a few things too. I noticed at the game his strike zone was different from inning to inning. I was behing Home Plate, about 13 rows up, not far at all.

goreds2
05-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I think MLB has cameras as each game to judge umpires calls of the strike zone. Hopefully, this will make the commishes office.

joshua
05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Weathers was robbed last night, simple as that. Weathers kept his cool way longer than I would have. And the ump taking his mask off and yelling at him? Extremely unprofessional.

Hands22
05-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Can people not get over this? He wasn't spot on by any means but it was what it was. Both teams had to deal with the uncertainty, and the Reds have had a fair share of calls go their way this season.

As far as Weathers goes he let the ump get to him. I think most umps call his 4th ball a strike, but that pitch wasn't over the plate. It was a ball by a hair that Weathers wanted and didn't get, maybe if he wouldn't have stared the ump down before we would've save ourselves a lot of time last night. Or maybe if he wasn't all over the place to begin with he would've been given the benefit of the doubt.

Why isn't anyone outraged over the 3rd strike by DRH that got us out of that inning and was clearly a ball? Good umping or bad umping wouldn't change the fact that the Reds stunk up the joint in the first two games of the series.

mroby85
05-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Can people not get over this? He wasn't spot on by any means but it was what it was. Both teams had to deal with the uncertainty, and the Reds have had a fair share of calls go their way this season.

As far as Weathers goes he let the ump get to him. I think most umps call his 4th ball a strike, but that pitch wasn't over the plate. It was a ball by a hair that Weathers wanted and didn't get, maybe if he wouldn't have stared the ump down before we would've save ourselves a lot of time last night. Or maybe if he wasn't all over the place to begin with he would've been given the benefit of the doubt.

Why isn't anyone outraged over the 3rd strike by DRH that got us out of that inning and was clearly a ball? Good umping or bad umping wouldn't change the fact that the Reds stunk up the joint in the first two games of the series.

Just a thought, but we may have trouble letting it go because it cost us the game. Weathers did a great job of pitching out of trouble, got an infield fly ball to get the 2nd out with a man on 3rd, and proceeded to strike the next guy out twice. The umping was horrible, and that's why i'm still not over it, but i'll let everyone else speak for themselves.

DTCromer
05-17-2009, 07:22 PM

Agree. I never blame umpiring because the calls usually even themselves out.

Disagree. That pitch was a strike. Everyone but the umpire thought it was a strike.

Again, I agree. I thought that last pitch by DRH was 2X more of a ball than Weathers's ball.

Overall, Weathers walked 2 other batters prior to Macias's walk. The umpire is less likely to give him the benefit of the doubt. This loss was clearly on Weathers and no one else. No excuse for 3 walks in the 8th inning. The last person we should be blaming is the umpire.

killuminati35
05-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Umpires are human and are going to have a bad game here and there. This board is absolutely ridiculous when it comes to complaining about the quality of the umpires in Major League Baseball. It is extremely difficult to become a professional umpire; these guys are monitored very closely. They are the best of the best of the best.

Get over it.

goreds2
05-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Umpires are human and are going to have a bad game here and there. This board is absolutely ridiculous when it comes to complaining about the quality of the umpires in Major League Baseball. It is extremely difficult to become a professional umpire; these guys are monitored very closely. They are the best of the best of the best.

Get over it.

Sooo, we can't ever criticize a player when they "have a bad game here and there?"

In my 35 years of being a Reds fan, I have never heard of a home plate umpire getting this much heat even from the announcers on a broadcast. I now wish I had recorded the Padres broadcast on XM radio. I would be willing to think they disagreed with calls from that umpire.

Have a good week.

fugowitribe
05-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Anyone else think it was risky to bring in Herrera when we were getting squeezed? I don't know about you guys but I thought it was over when he replaced Weathers with the bases loaded and a small strike zone....I don't know why, but I just saw it as a terrible move on Dusty's part. Although to his credit it was one of the only moves he could make.

mroby85
05-18-2009, 01:35 AM

Get over it.

I think the people who post on this board are the best of the best when it comes to baseball fans, and you shouldn't complain about them complaining :D

mivers176
05-18-2009, 08:58 AM
I too that the calls were interesting at the least. While I thought the ump made some pretty bad calls, when the Padres brought in H.Bell that next inning, Joyce was still calling a super tight zone and i think the Reds hitters should have went up there with even more patience. i know they got two walks but i think they could've gotten more...the pitch basically had to be grooved right down the middle for it to be a called strike.