PDA

View Full Version : Per Fay: Dusty hints at Pedro Viola being called up

LoganBuck
05-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Bill Bray will be examined Monday by Dr. Tim Kremchek. If he needs "Tommy John" surgery, it will be done Tuesday. It's likely he will. At that time, he'd be placed on the 60-man disabled list. That would make room for Pedro Viola, who Baker hinted is going to be called up for the Philadelphia series.

Probably Masset to DL, Bray to 60 Day

His numbers have looked a lot better at Louisville recently.

dougdirt
05-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Fisher and Roenicke are MUCH better options at this point. Manuel may be as well.

princeton
05-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Philly with all of those lefty bats going against RHHed Reds starting pitching. Viola is off to a good start vs. lefthanded batters.

SMcGavin
05-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Fisher and Roenicke are MUCH better options at this point. Manuel may be as well.

You think the Reds are smart enough to look past Roenicke's ERA? I bet they think he's off to a slow start.

Mario-Rijo
05-17-2009, 05:21 PM
You think the Reds are smart enough to look past Roenicke's ERA? I bet they think he's off to a slow start.

Well he has given up an awful lot of hits, defense or him?

dougdirt
05-17-2009, 05:24 PM

Defense. You don't strike out over 24% of the batters you face and also get rocked. He has allowed 16 singles, 2 doubles and 1 triple this year.

SMcGavin
05-17-2009, 05:27 PM

.442 BABIP. That's insane. I'd say a healthy dose of bad defense and bad luck.

Mario-Rijo
05-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Defense. You don't strike out over 24% of the batters you face and also get rocked. He has allowed 16 singles, 2 doubles and 1 triple this year.

.442 BABIP. That's insane. I'd say a healthy dose of bad defense and bad luck.

Hmm, fair enough.

Doc. Scott
05-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Viola had been killin' it... before he walked the bases full and silver-plattered a grand-slam homer in his most recent outing. He's still got a 3 ERA even with that, though.

Roenicke probably doesn't deserve the call so much- his control has been iffy. But I could see why he'd be ahead of Manuel in line- Robert's Eighty-Seven Express doesn't really do it for the scouts so much.

dougdirt
05-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Viola had been killin' it... before he walked the bases full and silver-plattered a grand-slam homer in his most recent outing. He's still got a 3 ERA even with that, though.

Roenicke probably doesn't deserve the call so much- his control has been iffy. But I could see why he'd be ahead of Manuel in line- Robert's Eighty-Seven Express doesn't really do it for the scouts so much.

Roenicke has had iffy control?

Doc. Scott
05-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Roenicke has had iffy control?

Sure seems like it, although this year's numbers don't bear that out. He has had rougher control episodes in previous years, though. You get the idea watching him that he doesn't quite know where it's going. All fastball, not enough other stuff. Most big-league hitters can hit a 96 mph fastball.

Double the control thing for Viola. I do feel a little bad for the Bats pitchers this year- the Louisville defense has the most errors in the International League this year. Pretty much none of the position players on that squad beyond Drew Stubbs are known for their D.