PDA

View Full Version : Michael Griffin promoted

texasdave
05-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Michael Griffin had been promoted to Louisville. I suppose to take Valaika's spot. Not sure if there are any further corresponding transactions.

Doc. Scott
05-17-2009, 08:21 PM
No, it's to take Norris Hopper's spot. Hopper was DLed with a hamstring strain.

It's probably only for a week or so, which explains why it wasn't Chris Heisey making the jump. Griffin can also fill in at most of the infield positions, probably the other main reason for it being him.

Benihana
05-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Does this foreshadow a Drew Sutton call-up if Votto is DL'd?

Doc. Scott
05-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Nah, don't think so. I'd call up Gomes first.

I bet Dusty plays Ramon Hernandez there, though, the majority of the time if Votto goes on the DL.

Mario-Rijo
05-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Nah, don't think so. I'd call up Gomes first.

I bet Dusty plays Ramon Hernandez there, though, the majority of the time if Votto goes on the DL.

And bring up W. Castillo? A strong possibility.

Doc. Scott
05-18-2009, 01:02 AM
And bring up W. Castillo? A strong possibility.

Call it a hunch, but my thought is that the organizational view of young Wilkin is that as a catcher, he makes a great utilityman.

If only he hit a little more...

GOYA
05-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Do you guys seriously want to see Sutton or Castillo called up?

DTCromer
05-18-2009, 01:19 AM

I think Castillo is a very valuable Utility player IMO because of his availibility to play catcher. I would replace Castillo for one of McDonald/Dickerson since they're virtually the same player.

Sutton, not so sure. He'll get his shot sooner or later though.

Doc. Scott
05-18-2009, 02:26 AM
I do not think either player is particularly deserving of a callup, frankly. Sutton has a better chance of a longer major-league career because he has offensive upside.

Jpup
05-18-2009, 09:38 AM

no, no, no. AAA fodder at best.

GOYA
05-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I would replace Castillo for one of McDonald/Dickerson since they're virtually the same player.

If they're the same, why make the move? This year, I've had a chance to see Castillo behind the plate. Trust me, you don't want him catching in Cincy. In the short time I've seen Sutton, I see him as a downgrade over anyone in the Reds current infield.

Both Castillo and Sutton have benefitted from strong starts to give themselves a favorable impression with fans. Castillo in last year's call-up and Sutton when he joined the Bats. But the fact is, against AAA pitching Castillo is batting .237 and Sutton is batting .250. Neither would be a defensive upgrade at any position for the Reds.

Gomes is the only realistic call up and he would not be much of an upgrade over Dickerson. The only difference is against LHP.

Dude Rock
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Why Heisey hasn't been promoted to triple A is beyond me.

RED VAN HOT
05-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Why Heisey hasn't been promoted to triple A is beyond me.

His numbers have been awesome. My guess is that they want to keep Heisey in CF for now. I note that Stubbs has been batting second a great deal. Though the power is still not there, Stubbs is drawing more walks and hitting for average. His SB's look good as well. I suspect the stage is being set for a mid-season call up of Stubbs and a movement of Heisey to Louisville. I like the idea of Taveras and Stubbs batting 1-2. With an outfield of Stubbs, Taveras and Bruce, a ball could drop in only as the result of an outfield collision.

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Other moves:

Cincinnati Reds
Released: RHP David Shafer, OF Daniel Perales
Placed on 7-day DL: RHP Matt Klinker, OF Norris Hopper
Reinstated from DL: RHP Lance Janke
Placed on temporarily inactive list: RHP Rafael Gonzalez

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=4093#more-4093

Perales got in a bar fight and messed up his vision.

Mario-Rijo
05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
If they're the same, why make the move? This year, I've had a chance to see Castillo behind the plate. Trust me, you don't want him catching in Cincy. In the short time I've seen Sutton, I see him as a downgrade over anyone in the Reds current infield.

Both Castillo and Sutton have benefitted from strong starts to give themselves a favorable impression with fans. Castillo in last year's call-up and Sutton when he joined the Bats. But the fact is, against AAA pitching Castillo is batting .237 and Sutton is batting .250. Neither would be a defensive upgrade at any position for the Reds.

Gomes is the only realistic call up and he would not be much of an upgrade over Dickerson. The only difference is against LHP.

So you are suggesting that neither would give us something more than a guy (McDonald) who gives us virtually nothing? That's a sad state of affairs.

GOYA
05-18-2009, 11:14 PM
So you are suggesting that neither would give us something more than a guy (McDonald) who gives us virtually nothing? That's a sad state of affairs.

Well at the moment, both Sutton and Castillo are hitting .222 in AAA. What do you think they could give the Reds? Sutton is .176 in his last 5 games. Castillo is .182 over his last 6. Just because it's sad doesn't mean it isn't true.

Gomes is the callup if there is one.

camisadelgolf
05-19-2009, 01:02 PM
That's a real shame about Perales. For a while, it looked like he might have a future as a Major League utility outfielder. The player the Reds had to give up to obtain him, Jon Coutlangus, has been just as much of a bust for the Diamondbacks so far, though, so at least it didn't cost the Reds too much.

Mario-Rijo
05-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Well at the moment, both Sutton and Castillo are hitting .222 in AAA. What do you think they could give the Reds? Sutton is .176 in his last 5 games. Castillo is .182 over his last 6. Just because it's sad doesn't mean it isn't true.

Gomes is the callup if there is one.

True sad doesn't make it true, but I'd still suggest they bring more to the table than McDonald. I'd also agree that Gomes would be my choice as well, however assuming the reds didn't want to bring up Gomes just yet for whatever reason I would take Castillo over McDonald. He's more versatile and even though his PA's were nothing special last season they were better than McDonalds if for no other reason than he was more selective and he's a LHH. Sutton I'd just like to put some eyes on him to get a feel for him, sure that's no reason to promote him perse but again McDonald IMO isn't fit to play Major League ball so I'd rather a struggling unknown than a struggling known.