PDA

View Full Version : Gruden to Replace Kornheiser on MNF

cumberlandreds
05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I never thought of Jon Gruden as the TV analyst type. So we will see how this goes. I always felt like Kornheiser didn't really like doing MNF but felt obliged since the opportunity was given to him. MNF is on too late for me to watch enought to really get a feel to how he did. But most I read didn't think he was that good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4174469

durl
05-18-2009, 03:33 PM
I wasn't a fan of Kornheiser's input. Making the move is a good thing.

That being said, there's still a lot that ESPN will have to change in order to make watching the games more enjoyable.

Sea Ray
05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Why do they even think they need a 3rd guy in the booth? That's never worked before. The 3rd guy is always going to be awkward. Remember Roy Firestone in that role? What a disaster.

Chip R
05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Why do they even think they need a 3rd guy in the booth? That's never worked before.

Frank Gifford, Howard Cosell and Don Meredith would disagree with you.

cumberlandreds
05-18-2009, 03:54 PM

IMO,that's about the only thresome that's worked well together. They should just go with Tirico and Jaws.

Chip R
05-18-2009, 04:00 PM
IMO,that's about the only thresome that's worked well together.

That's true.

bucksfan2
05-18-2009, 04:10 PM
IMO,that's about the only thresome that's worked well together. They should just go with Tirico and Jaws.

I can't stand Jaws. He is actually a reason I wouldn't watch MNF. I like both Kornheiser and Tirico in the booth but Jaws turned me off.

Sea Ray
05-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Good point. My hard drive didn't go back that far...

I'll say this, threesomes rarely work out in the TV booth.

Scrap Irony
05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Love the idea of a former coach on MNF. Question whether Gruden is a good fit though.

Blimpie
05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
As a big fan of Kornheiser's radio show (and PTI), I did not mind seeing him give MNF a shot. IMO, he did a far better job in the role than did Dennis Miller (who I also like outside of the booth).

Don't get too high on Gruden, folks. He is only keeping the seat warm until the next good head coaching job surfaces next year.

durl
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM

THAT team worked. Excellent point.

Honestly, the 3rd guy is sort of a moot point to me. Tirico doesn't impress me at play-by-play.

Chip R
05-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Honestly, the 3rd guy is sort of a moot point to me. Tirico doesn't impress me at play-by-play.

I agree. I think the 3 man team has gone the way of the dinosaur. I'm not really quite sure why they stubbornly stick to that concept.

Kingspoint
05-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Can we thank God on this forum.

If so, "Thank God".

redsfanmia
05-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I can't stand Jaws. He is actually a reason I wouldn't watch MNF. I like both Kornheiser and Tirico in the booth but Jaws turned me off.

Tirico absolutely bores me to tears, his is the most announcer going.

WMR
05-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I **HATED** Kornheiser on MNF. Thank God he's gone.

Just horribly unfunny on that program, IMO.

Joseph
05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
As a huge TK fan, I'm tremendously disappointed in this move. I suspect Gruden will be terrible, and that has nothing to do with my respect for Mr Tony.

All that said, I could care less as MNF has been terrible for years.

improbus
05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
They did the right thing in hiring a coach, but they hired the wrong coach. If you are going to put Jaws in the booth (which is fine), then pair him up with Dick Vermeil. I saw them call a game together on the NFL network (I think) and it was great. When you try the three man booth, you need you two color guys to really like each other and be able to play off of each other. No one knows and cares about each other more than Vermeil and Jaws.
The perfect example currently is the Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jackson combo. They have an amazing rapport and know exactly how to get the other one going.

marcshoe
05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
The way things have been going, I'm surprised they didn't have a celebrity reality show to find Kornehiser's replacement. Barkley could be a contestant, along with Dennis Leary and...hold on. I'm going to shut up before I give ESPN any ideas.

Reds Fanatic
05-18-2009, 11:48 PM
They did the right thing in hiring a coach, but they hired the wrong coach. If you are going to put Jaws in the booth (which is fine), then pair him up with Dick Vermeil. I saw them call a game together on the NFL network (I think) and it was great. When you try the three man booth, you need you two color guys to really like each other and be able to play off of each other. No one knows and cares about each other more than Vermeil and Jaws.
The perfect example currently is the Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jackson combo. They have an amazing rapport and know exactly how to get the other one going.You are right Vermeil would have been a good choice. A couple years ago when ESPN did their doubleheader they start the year with Vermeil and Jaworski did the color on the late night game and did a really good job.

durl
05-19-2009, 10:21 AM
You are right Vermeil would have been a good choice. A couple years ago when ESPN did their doubleheader they start the year with Vermeil and Jaworski did the color on the late night game and did a really good job.

Now that you mention it, I remember that game. The Vermeil/Jaworski team was the secondary one and I recall them doing a FAR better job than the "A" team that did the other game.

Caveat Emperor
05-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I like Tony Kornheiser on the radio, love him in the print, and love him on PTI w/ Wilbon. Didn't think much of his work on MNF, though.

I think the "broadcast team" chemistry stunk. Jaws is a little overexciteable and better in smaller doses (i.e. analyst breakdown segments) than he is over the course of an entire game. To his credit, though, he isn't as much of a jock-apologist as many former players are in broadcasting. Tirico doesn't do a good enough job taking control of the broadcast, and I think that's mostly due to his personality (the man finds a way to agree with all sides of every issue) than anything else.

They should implode the MNF team and start again. Bringing Gruden on won't help things beyond this year or the next (whenever the Notre Dame job opens).

camisadelgolf
05-19-2009, 07:21 PM
I loved Gruden's coverage during the NFL draft, and I'm really excited about him being in the booth. He's very energetic and really knows what he's talking about.

cumberlandreds
05-20-2009, 08:25 AM

I did think of one other three man booth that did well together. It was Dick Enberg,Billy Packer and Al McGuire. They didn't work together that long but were very good. I think they were together at NBC from 1979 to 1981 and briefly a few games at CBS late in Al McGuire's life.

redsfan1966
06-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Time to bring back Mike Patrick, Theismann and Paul McGuire....