PDA

View Full Version : Nick Masset to the DL, Ramon Ramirez to be recalled

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
From Rob Butcher:

Tomorrow the Reds are expected to disable RHP Nick Masset (strained left oblique muscle), retroactive to May 11, and recall from Louisville RHP Ramon Ramirez.

Masset went 1-0, 1.23 in 11 relief apps for the Reds.

Ramirez (#58) went 0-3, 5.08 in 7 starts for the Bats (39ip, 37h, 27r, 22er, 17bb, 28k, 4hr).

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a88a24d79-58ed-4c5d-af5c-d326f9886357&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

LvJ
05-18-2009, 06:34 PM
...uhm...

SirFelixCat
05-18-2009, 06:36 PM
huh?

Degenerate39
05-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't understand this move

klw
05-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Gives the bullpen a long reliever in case recent long game gassed folks. I would expect a second move in a couple of days once/ if stabilty is restored.

Kc61
05-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Ramirez is on the forty and has major league experience from last season. He's pitched well lately if I recall, after a tough start. Just checked, last three outings have been very good.

He fits the Massett role of right handed multi-inning reliever. Dusty implied it would be a lefty, but didn't happen that way.

If Massett is out of action for only a short while, I'd expect Ramirez to return to Louisville unless the Reds want to give Lincoln some AAA time.

Some will say why not Fisher, also throws multiple innings. But Ramirez was impressive in the major leagues last September, so I'd guess that experience gave him the edge. And Ramirez is basically a starter so he can eat a lot of innings if there is a blowout or extra innings game.

M2
05-18-2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.leadpipeposters.com/images/1557.jpg

Carlos Fisher would have seemed the man here. Josh Roenicke has an awful ERA, but that's because of a freakish BABIP.

No Homer Bailey is the statement here. Clearly the Reds don't want him relieving. I wonder if keeping him in AAA is also a way of preserving his trade valuezez.

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Fisher would have been my choice too. In fact, I'd ship out Mike Lincoln and bring up Fisher.

fearofpopvol1
05-18-2009, 08:22 PM
i don't have a problem with this move. I think Ramirez is a pretty good guy to slot into Masset's spot.

SMcGavin
05-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Not what I would have done. But I think Ramirez is getting rewarded for his strong showing in the bigs last September.

redsmetz
05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Not what I would have done. But I think Ramirez is getting rewarded for his strong showing in the bigs last September.

As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I don't think Ramirez being called up is a reward for last September. His profile, as others have noted, closely matched Massett and made the most sense for the call up. No big deal, IMO.

LvJ
05-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Viola has struck out a lot and only given up 7 hits in 15 IP, but has also walked 10.

I was thinking Manuel, but I guess he's not on the 40?

mth123
05-18-2009, 09:18 PM
My take:

1. Volquez is still uncertain until he pitches a couple times with no problems. Bailey and Maloney stay in AAA taking regular turns until that situation clears up.

2. Thompson has been awful so it won't be him.

3. The Reds need multi inning capability, that eliminates Roenicke.

4. Votto's situation probably means that whatever 40 man wiggle room the Reds have (Bray to the 60 day DL) will probably be saved for a bat. That elimnates Viola.

5. That just leaves Ramirez, Fisher and Manuel. Ramirez is probably first in line based on 2008. The fact that he found a mechanical adjustment a couple of weeks ago and has been pitching very well since then gets him the nod. His season stats are no indication of how he's pitching right now. Fisher and Manuel will need to wait their turn. That's baseball.

M2
05-18-2009, 09:23 PM

I'd hope that isn't the reason. If Ramirez isn't doing something right now that the Reds like he shouldn't be called up.

SMcGavin
05-18-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd hope that isn't the reason. If Ramirez isn't doing something right now that the Reds like he shouldn't be called up.

I agree. But if they were making the decision based only on current performance, I don't know how he gets the call over Fisher.

thatcoolguy_22
05-18-2009, 09:53 PM
*yawn*

Nothing really interesting. I'm surprised McDonald is still on the roster. In fact I'm baffled. I wonder what Dusty and WJ see in the guy...

Ramirez can provide long innings if needed or if Micah is feeling the affects of his 80 pitch relief outing then Ramirez could pick up the spot start. In the end though this move is trivial on the grand scheme of things.

Edit: What a waste of my 1,000th post...

I should say playoffs or Votto and Bruce combine to hit 60 HR this year and OPS .880 but, I won't. I can't believe I wasted my 1,000th post on Ramon Ramirez getting called up...

traderumor
05-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I agree. But if they were making the decision based only on current performance, I don't know how he gets the call over Fisher.His current performance is good. It is only a few good starts, but I think you are analyzing based on YTD numbers. For a short term call up, I'm not sure that is relevant. What have you done for me lately with a cup of coffee last year for good measure and you have your man. Plus he's on the 40 man.

NC Reds
05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I saw Ramirez pitch a few nights ago in Durham. I was underwhelmed. However, he left the game with a big lead that the bullpen frittered away. I wouldn't pitch him in anything but mop up duty.

AmarilloRed
05-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Isn't Bailey out of options? I don't think we'll see Bailey in Cincinnati until September, and maybe not then.

M2
05-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Isn't Bailey out of options? I don't think we'll see Bailey in Cincinnati until September, and maybe not then.

He can come up and down as many times as the Reds wish during this season. The last option only means he can't be moved off the 25-man roster after this season.

Ron Madden
05-19-2009, 02:44 AM
I don't understand this move

Right now, I don't understand it either. Maybe somethin' else is is cookin'.

klw
05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Gives the bullpen a long reliever in case recent long game gassed folks. I would expect a second move in a couple of days once/ if stabilty is restored.

Darn. My one correct prediction for 2009 gets used up early.