PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Wagner...

RedsMan3203
05-18-2009, 08:49 PM
retired...

Former first round draft choice Ryan Wagner has retired from baseball, according to MASN.com.
Wagner had two saves and a 6.11 ERA in 13 games with Triple-A Syracuse this year. The relief pitcher had season-ending shoulder surgery in 2007, but he returned to Class-A ball last year before being recalled to Triple-A Columbus to finish the season. Wagner hasn't offered an explanation for his retirement, but Washington manager Manny Acta was shocked at the news of the youngster's retirement.

I was at his 1st major league game the day he was called up and it was a great game... I'm shocked at the out come... and shocked he gave up already.

Bob Borkowski
05-18-2009, 09:03 PM
The news item calls him a 'youngster'. He'll be 27 in July...not a youngster, even to a gray-beard like me. ;)

Joseph
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Best of luck to him.

LvJ
05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
He still has more money than any of us. :o

Team Clark
05-18-2009, 10:07 PM
AMAZING Slider. Almost as ridiculous as Ben McDonald's curve.

The league figured him out quick. He couldn't throw the 2 seamer for strikes. His slider was almost always a ball unless it was a hanger. A real shame. All you had to do was take a few pitches until he had to groove one.

LvJ
05-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Could have had Chad Billingsley...

M2
05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
He couldn't throw the 2 seamer for strikes.

That was the key. If he had been able to deal with the fastball, hitters would have been forced to swing at the slider.

Team Clark
05-18-2009, 10:47 PM
That was the key. If he had been able to deal with the fastball, hitters would have been forced to swing at the slider.

Absolutely. I saw him pitch in person several times. So much talent and such a poor system to support him at the time.

M2
05-18-2009, 10:57 PM
I always wondered how it would have panned out if the Reds had made him a starter instead of a reliever. It would have forced him to establish the fastball and learn a change or a cutter.

thatcoolguy_22
05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
He still has more money than any of us. :o

speak for yourself. I invented the post-it ;)

LINEDRIVER
05-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Absolutely. I saw him pitch in person several times. So much talent and such a poor system to support him at the time.

Also, Wagner developed a reputation for an unwillingness to listen and learn at the pro level. (Along the same lines of the inflated ego/hard-headed mindset that Homer Bailey suffered with until recently)

I remember hearing Joe Nuxhall interviewing Wagner shortly after Wagner made his Reds' debut. Nuxie asked Wagner if he would be working on a third pitch in the off-season to add to his arsenal for the next season. Wagner responded with, "No, I'll just stick with what I got, with what got me here".

It was easy to tell that Nuxie was disappointed with that answer.