PDA

View Full Version : Gomes time?

lollipopcurve
05-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Looks to me like the Reds face 4 lefties in the next 6 games -- Hamels and Moyer today and tomorrow, Huff and Lee Saturday and Sunday.

I think it's a no-brainer -- Bray to the 60-day, Gomes onto the 40-man and promoted to the major league club. DFA McDonald. With Votto likely out, at least in the short-term, this team needs an infusion on offense.

Makes sense to reward Gomes for agreeing to go to AAA, too. He's hitting well right now (3 hits off a tough Chris Tillman yesterday). McDonald looks overmatched.

The FO needs to show a little life, in my opinion. They've chosen to keep the team shorthanded consistently over the last couple weeks, which I have found somewhat unimpressive. I'm not a fan of constant roster shuffling, but neither am I a fan of stagnation (or attrition, which is what happens when you keep injured players active for days on end).

RichRed
05-19-2009, 09:52 AM
It's Gomes time. He's tearing it up for the Bats. I was at the games last night and Gomes looked like a man among boys at the plate to me, Wieters and a few others excepted. The McDonald experiment needs to be over.

bucksfan2
05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
For some reason the Reds have gone with McDonald and kept Gomes in the minors. I really have no idea but Jocketty isn't stupid. I wonder if Jocketty is trying to swing a deal and keeping Gomes down in AAA for insurance. Maybe Gomes defense is just that bad that he needs more time to work on it in AAA. There just has to be a reason that the Reds are keeping Gomes bat in Louisville.

LvJ
05-19-2009, 11:06 AM
It was Gomes time on Opening Day.

http://www.hospitality-industry.com/images/uploads/TGC004_c.jpg

lollipopcurve
05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
It was Gomes time on Opening Day.

Can't argue with that.

But now it's REALLY Gomes time.

OnBaseMachine
05-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Gomes should have been up here weeks ago. He's currently hitting .280/.353/.584 - .937, including a 1.417 OPS vs LHP in 35 plate appearances. I'm not saying he should start. I'd just like to see him replace McDonald and give us a big power bat off the bench.

lollipopcurve
05-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Apparently it isn't Gomes time. McDonald in the lineup tonight.

Fake Baker quote: "We could put Gomes in and he could go 0 for 4."

Homer Bailey
05-19-2009, 04:27 PM
It infuriates me beyond belief that this organization would put a talent like Darnell McDonald on the playing field. It's really hard to believe in a team that has Darnell McDonald starting a game in left field.

OnBaseMachine
05-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Apparently it isn't Gomes time. McDonald in the lineup tonight.

Fake Baker quote: "We could put Gomes in and he could go 0 for 4."

It's bad enough he's on the roster...it's even worse when he starts.

BRM
05-19-2009, 04:30 PM
You guys do realize that McDonald is going to get 2 or 3 hits tonight now. Hopefully it's a reverse jinx. ;)

Homer Bailey
05-19-2009, 04:32 PM

You can't put bad players on Dusty's roster, because he will actually put them in the game.

Kc61
05-19-2009, 04:34 PM

I was looking at the range factors for Reds outfielders the other day and, in a small sample, McDonald's was quite good. I'm sure it is far better than Gomes' would be.

I'm sure that folks will say range factor is not a good stat, etc., but if you look at the current thread with the interview about the Reds' methods of evaluating defense, you'll see that much emphasis has been put on outfield defense and range by the club.

Now, I still think the use of McDonald can be questioned because an outfield of Bruce, Taveras and Hairston against lefties would be more than adequate defensively. Rosales could play third with Gonzo or Janish at short.

But I think this explains the use of this player and also explains why certain others may not be playing left field. The Reds are emphatic in avoiding the problems caused by outfielders with limited range.

BRM
05-19-2009, 04:36 PM
You can't put bad players on Dusty's roster, because he will actually put them in the game.

The 25th man on every team's roster is going to get a start every now and then.

BRM
05-19-2009, 04:37 PM
But I think this explains the use of this player and also explains why certain others may not be playing left field. The Reds are emphatic in avoiding the problems caused by outfielders with limited range.

This has to be the main reason Gomes hasn't be called up because his bat has been solid in Louisville.

RichRed
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM

True, McD is on pace to start only 12 games if he stays with the big club the entire season (ick) but he really belongs in the minors.

Kc61
05-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Do you really think Dusty is making these decisions with no input from above? Not happening. The decision to keep Gomes at AAA, keep McDonald on the roster, and occasionally play him against lefties is obviously approved by Jocketty.

Again, it's likely because of the emphasis on outfield range and defense. It's undoubtedly a decision made by the front office to sacrifice offense right now to have a speedy, defensive outfield in the aftermath of Dunn and Griffey.

lollipopcurve
05-19-2009, 04:40 PM
I was looking at the range factors for Reds outfielders the other day and, in a small sample, McDonald's was quite good. I'm sure it is far better than Gomes' would be.

I'm sure that folks will say range factor is not a good stat, etc., but if you look at the current thread with the interview about the Reds' methods of evaluating defense, you'll see that much emphasis has been put on outfield defense and range by the club.

Now, I still think the use of McDonald can be questioned because an outfield of Bruce, Taveras and Hairston against lefties would be more than adequate defensively. Rosales could play third with Gonzo or Janish at short.

Everyone knows Gomes is not a good outfielder. The point is that he can hit -- especially lefties, and the Reds face 4 in the next 6 games. Right now the Reds are without Votto (Gomes played 1B in spring training, so maybe that's the spot for him) -- making the team that much more vulnerable offensively. Sorry, but I'll pass on McDonald's glovework in left if it means getting some sock in the lineup with a guy who's been swinging well.

Maybe DMcD goes on a tear this homestand, who knows. But I can't believe they're going to continue to be so generous with that roster spot if he doesn't.

Homer Bailey
05-19-2009, 04:41 PM

Sure, but what is the rationale for starting McDonald? He's right handed? Dear Dusty, Right handed does not equal good handed. Just because he has somehow miraculously managed to stay on the team for a month and a half doesn't mean he deserves to start.

Hanigan at C, Ramon at 1B, Rosales at 3B, and Hairston in LF gives the team the best chance to win the game.

Kc61
05-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Sorry, but I'll pass on McDonald's glovework in left if it means getting some sock in the lineup with a guy who's been swinging well.

The Reds clearly need better offense. But the trade off suggested here-- a guy swinging well to replace a defender --has failed for years on this team.

Until the Reds get some better two-way players, they will sometimes pick the defender over the hitter. So far this year it's worked ok, but it is frustrating to have a weak attack.

BRM
05-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Everyone knows Gomes is not a good outfielder. The point is that he can hit -- especially lefties, and the Reds face 4 in the next 6 games. Right now the Reds are without Votto (Gomes played 1B in spring training, so maybe that's the spot for him) -- making the team that much more vulnerable offensively. Sorry, but I'll pass on McDonald's glovework in left if it means getting some sock in the lineup with a guy who's been swinging well.

I agree with you. I would have liked for him to be called up this week as well. The Reds could certainly use his bat right now. If he can play some 1B, even better.

Hanigan at C, Ramon at 1B, Rosales at 3B, and Hairston in LF gives the team the best chance to win the game.

Given the current roster, that's what I would go with as well. That said, as long as McDonald is on the roster he is going to get some starts against LHP.

lollipopcurve
05-19-2009, 04:46 PM
The Reds clearly need better offense. But the trade off that you would make has failed for years on this team.

With Taveras in CF and Bruce in RF you've already fixed most of the problems with OF defense. You can afford a poor defender out there every once in a while if it means replacing a weak hitter with a guy who's got a chance to provide thunder.

And it's not like the Reds have a moratorium on starting iffy defenders -- they gave EdE a two-year deal.

Homer Bailey
05-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Given the current roster, that's what I would go with as well. That said, as long as McDonald is on the roster he is going to get some starts against LHP.

Yeah, maybe he will get some starts. That doesn't mean he deserves it. Let's not act like Darnell McDonald is some gold glove LF'er. The defense is not hurt by the lineup I proposed (and you agreed with). I'm not going to delve into the real reason why I think McDonald is in the lineup tonight, because it's not worth stirring the pot. I'll gladly PM anyone that is curious to hear my opinion.

lollipopcurve
05-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not going to delve into the real reason why I think McDonald is in the lineup tonight, because it's not worth stirring the pot. I'll gladly PM anyone that is curious to hear my opinion.

My working theory: McDonald is a Baker guy. Jocketty gives Baker some control over the roster, and Dusty has gone to bat for Darnell. I think there's a statute of limitations, so to speak -- a date, maybe June 1. At that point, Jocketty can step in and make a change -- perhaps because in convincing Gomes to accept an assignment to Louisville, he told him he'd be up by June 1 or be given the chance to become a free agent, if he wanted to do so.

I think we'll see a reckoning on this before long. Either Gomes will be with the Reds or, now that he's performed well in AAA, he'll choose to make himself a free agent, available to any and all.

Pure speculation, of course. I could be 100% wrong.

BRM
05-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Homer Bailey: The defense wouldn't be hurt at all with the lineup you proposed. Like I said, I prefer that setup.

Nasty_Boy
05-19-2009, 04:57 PM
The Reds clearly need better offense. But the trade off suggested here-- a guy swinging well to replace a defender --has failed for years on this team.

Until the Reds get some better two-way players, they will sometimes pick the defender over the hitter. So far this year it's worked ok, but it is frustrating to have a weak attack.

A guy swinging well hasn't failed this team... Inept pitching has been this teams biggest downfall. And if Gomes is just a platoon player and pinch hitter there is more room for him than McDonald, because McDonald is neither a platoon player or a pinch hitter. He is this team's 6th option in the outfield and doesn't bring a skill set, like power against LHP, that Gomes brings to the table.

nate
05-19-2009, 04:59 PM

What's failed "for years on this team" is a lack of pitching.

BRM
05-19-2009, 05:01 PM

While I do agree with you here, the Reds have had some pretty bad defensive teams as well.

Homer Bailey
05-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Homer Bailey: The defense wouldn't be hurt at all with the lineup you proposed. Like I said, I prefer that setup.

I realize that you are in agreement with me. My post wasn't frustration towards you at all. Just the management/FO.

Kc61
05-19-2009, 05:05 PM

The Reds Defense Efficiency Ratio has gone from near bottom to near top in one year. Their record so far has also dramatically improved.

Coincidence? No, I think the improvement in pitching is tied, in part, to the improvement in defense. The two are undoubtedly related and both needed to get better. They have.

Some day, the Reds will have more players who can hit and play defense. They have only a few of those now. So we pay the price with one-way players sometimes. Unfortunate.

I still would have played Hairston in left and Rosales at third. But as has been pointed out, that would have required Hernandez to play first and Hanigan to catch. Dusty may have wanted Hernandez to catch this particular game, he has done well as Cueto's catcher.

nate
05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
The Reds Defense Efficiency Ratio has gone from near bottom to near top in one year. Their record so far has also dramatically improved.

So has the pitching.

OnBaseMachine
05-19-2009, 05:30 PM

In 53 innings, McDonald has a -1.2 UZR. I haven't been impressed with his defense.

You can't build your bench around a bunch of light hitting, defense first guys. You've got to have a big bat or two on the bench. Matt Stairs is a DH, but that didn't keep the Phillies from acquiring him last season to strengthen their bench.

TRF
05-19-2009, 05:57 PM

No it hasn't. Having historically bad pitching is what did them in.

A poor defender with a .900+ OPS bat in LF, on days a LH is pitching will not hurt the Reds. A good defender that couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag hurts far worse.

TRF
05-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Coincidence? No, I think the improvement in pitching is tied, in part, to the improvement in defense. The two are undoubtedly related and both needed to get better. They have.

Some day, the Reds will have more players who can hit and play defense. They have only a few of those now. So we pay the price with one-way players sometimes. Unfortunate.

I still would have played Hairston in left and Rosales at third. But as has been pointed out, that would have required Hernandez to play first and Hanigan to catch. Dusty may have wanted Hernandez to catch this particular game, he has done well as Cueto's catcher.

Or Harang being healthy, Cueto being dominant, the pen not sucking, Volquez showing flashes of last year.

Sure a better defense helps, but how many games have the Reds lost this year by not putting more than 2-3 runs on the board?

nate
05-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Or Harang being healthy, Cueto being dominant, the pen not sucking, Volquez showing flashes of last year.

Sure a better defense helps, but how many games have the Reds lost this year by not putting more than 2-3 runs on the board?

Rojo
05-19-2009, 06:11 PM
My working theory: McDonald is a Baker guy.

Mine too: McDonald, Darrin Lewis, Darryl Hamilton, Corey Patterson, ?.

redsfan4445
05-19-2009, 06:28 PM
I wonder if Votto might be out longer and McDonald, if he has a bad night, Gomes isnt on his way up before tomorrows game replacing Gomes..hmm guess we shall see..

Benihana
05-19-2009, 07:45 PM
I wonder if Votto might be out longer and McDonald, if he has a bad night, Gomes isnt on his way up before tomorrows game replacing Gomes..hmm guess we shall see..

Ummm, what?

gm
05-19-2009, 07:54 PM
IThe Reds could certainly use his bat right now. If he can play some 1B, even better.

I think they tried Gomes at 1b for a few spring training games and the results weren't encouraging. He said he hadn't played there before, IIRC

Relax, Dusty is just trying to "get McDonald going" ;)

Ron Madden
05-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Relax, Dusty is just trying to "get McDonald going" ;)

Well, I for one hope that when McDonald gets going he'll take Dusty with him.

;)

TRF
05-20-2009, 10:28 AM

jeez. I didn't realize it was that many.

The Reds need a little thump.

BRM
05-20-2009, 10:51 AM
jeez. I didn't realize it was that many.

The Reds need a little thump.

14 now. Although the opponent scored 7 or more runs in 8 of those games. So over half of those were blowouts.

nate
05-20-2009, 11:25 AM
You guys don't think that 14 wins, or even 8 wins as BRM pointed out could be the difference between playing October baseball and "just waiting until next year" do you?

Naw...

Topcat
05-21-2009, 03:05 AM
Looks to me like the Reds face 4 lefties in the next 6 games -- Hamels and Moyer today and tomorrow, Huff and Lee Saturday and Sunday.

I think it's a no-brainer -- Bray to the 60-day, Gomes onto the 40-man and promoted to the major league club. DFA McDonald. With Votto likely out, at least in the short-term, this team needs an infusion on offense.

Makes sense to reward Gomes for agreeing to go to AAA, too. He's hitting well right now (3 hits off a tough Chris Tillman yesterday). McDonald looks overmatched.

The FO needs to show a little life, in my opinion. They've chosen to keep the team shorthanded consistently over the last couple weeks, which I have found somewhat unimpressive. I'm not a fan of constant roster shuffling, but neither am I a fan of stagnation (or attrition, which is what happens when you keep injured players active for days on end).

Hammer time! Yes Gomes should be here and no Nix needs to stay for anyone who thinks that's move to make. Has Gomes ever played any 1st base ? Adding a small amount of O to this team could really be vital.