PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto update

Reds Fanatic
05-19-2009, 06:53 PM
This is the latest on Votto from the Reds. Still don't know much but more tests are scheduled.

Reds head athletic trainer Mark Mann said, “Joey has undergone a series of tests at the Scripps Clinic in San Diego and here in Cincinnati, and we have more tests scheduled over the next few days. After those additional tests, we will be more prepared to discuss the cause of his dizziness.”

GAC
05-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Announcers tonight say it's not related to the flu.

Votto says he feels alright; but that he just doesn't know when it's gonna hit him. It just comes on him all of a sudden.

flyer85
05-19-2009, 08:05 PM
not good ... could be career threatening

RedEye
05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
That Nick Esasky parallel that I first thought of as joke is starting to make me feel sick now.

RedFanAlways1966
05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Perhaps Ménière's disease? I hope not.

Heath
05-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Well, it's time to get Edwin Encarnacion a First Baseman's Mitt.

Just in case.

Always Red
05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Perhaps Ménière's disease? I hope not.

yeah, that's not a good thing to have. :(

Benihana
05-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Well, it's time to get Edwin Encarnacion a First Baseman's Mitt.

Just in case.
First off, I hope it's nothing too serious.
Second, and it's WAY too premature to think like this, but just because this IS a message board, I would keep EE at 3B and let Rosales handle 1B in Votto's absence. If anything, this would ensure Alonso as the 1B of the future- not EE.

Caveat Emperor
05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
The "We'll be more prepared to discuss his dizziness" line is very telling.

The way that's worded suggests to me that they already know/suspect the cause and they're just waiting for a second opinion to confirm. It doesn't sound like it's going to be good news.

HeatherC1212
05-19-2009, 10:23 PM
This makes me sad. I hope Joey is going to be all right. :(

LoganBuck
05-19-2009, 10:30 PM
That is not good. I hope for Joey's sake that he is not going down the same path as Nick Esasky, or that something worse isn't rearing up.

This team is sunk without him. There is absolutely no way they can over come the loss of his bat. Forget it.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Without Joey Votto long-term and with Jay Bruce hitting in the low .230s, this team will spend the summer battling the Pirates for last place.

kbrake
05-19-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm honestly past being worried about Joey Votto for the sake of this team. I'm really worried about his career and his personal health. Really hope it turns out to not be very serious.

RedEye
05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm honestly past being worried about Joey Votto for the sake of this team. I'm really worried about his career and his personal health. Really hope it turns out to not be very serious.

Ditto on that. I don't know of many conditions with debilitating vertigo that aren't serious. I'm no doctor though.

Eric_the_Red
05-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Very unfortunate news, so far. I'm praying it is something treatable, but with the wording of the announcement and the time it is taking to even release the diagnosis (if they know what it is), is troublesome.

I also think there may be some correlation with the absence of Votto and the 4 game losing streak, aside from losing him from the lineup. While obviously not quantifiable, seeing your team's best player and leader being helped off the field can't do much for your psyche. True, they are professional ballplayers, but I'd imagine it has to have some sort of effect.

I hate to even speculate this way, but if this is career ending for Votto, how much pressure does that put on Alonso's development? With a healthy Votto, the organization could take their time developing him. Without Votto, and this team is without a major league 1B and Alonso may be rushed.

I'm hoping it is something minor like an inner-ear infection that is making him dizzy. Get well soon, Joey!

Roy Tucker
05-20-2009, 08:02 AM
I used to think this was a lot of oh-boo-hoo-you-got-dizzy-bah stuff.

But I had a bout with vertigo about 10 days ago and, man, that is some really nasty stuff. I went through about 15 minutes of the room spinning 10 times worse than any drunken night I'd ever had in my life. I couldn't stand up and flopped my way to the bathroom and drove the big white bus the whole time. My wife said my eyes were spinning in my head like I'd lost my mind.

Doc ran a whole battery of tests and couldn't find any cause. He said it happens and diagnosed it as benign positional vertigo. Nothing benign about it to me though. I can empathize with Votto.

redsmetz
05-20-2009, 08:10 AM
I used to think this was a lot of oh-boo-hoo-you-got-dizzy-bah stuff.

But I had a bout with vertigo about 10 days ago and, man, that is some really nasty stuff. I went through about 15 minutes of the room spinning 10 times worse than any drunken night I'd ever had in my life. I couldn't stand up and flopped my way to the bathroom and drove the big white bus the whole time. My wife said my eyes were spinning in my head like I'd lost my mind.

Doc ran a whole battery of tests and couldn't find any cause. He said it happens and diagnosed it as benign positional vertigo. Nothing benign about it to me though. I can empathize with Votto.

I agree. I've had occasional bouts of vertigo too. The first time was while my wife and I were in St. Louis and it was like being on a merry-go-round. She had to drive home because I couldn't operate the car. I actually had another one that had me crashing to the floor of our bathroom. I haven't had a bout in a number of years.

I suspect this is nothing serious for Votto, or rather I hope it isn't. The club really needs him and we need to get Edwin whole and back again. Those are two very significant bats to be without.

Jpup
05-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I hope we get some good news about Joey today. This is really bothering me. :(

bucksfan2
05-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I hope we get some good news about Joey today. This is really bothering me. :(

I am not worried, yet. He still has yet to go on the DL and at yesterday nights game he was bouncing around in the dugout. If these test revealed anything very serious I would imagine he would have been DLed very quickly.

I am not Dr but I don't really hold much with the comparisons between Esasky and Votto. Esasky's case was almost 20 years ago. Medical science has come a very very long way over those past 20 years. I have never had vertigo, but I have known people who have suffered from it and played golf with them the next week.

Tommyjohn25
05-20-2009, 08:45 AM
I had almost his exact symptoms this past January. It hit me out of nowhere while I was at work and it lasted for about six weeks. I waited about 2 weeks to go to the doctor just to see if it would go away on it's own, when it didn't I began to grow concerned about a more serious problem and went on to my doc. Apparently there was, and still is, a virus going around that actually attacks your inner ear. I causes moderate to extreme vertigo and there is no treatment for it, you just have to let it run its course. My vertigo attacks weren't as severe as Joeys, but my inability to focus was, and I can tell you there was NO WAY I could've played a sport while I had it. I lost about 15 lbs, slept 10 hours every night (I usually require about 6) and never felt like doing anything except lay on the couch. It was the strangest thing I've ever had happen to me as I've always been very healthy and active.

While it would suck to have him out for as long as I had it (6-7 weeks) at least it would be a relatively harmless answer in the long-term.

Sea Ray
05-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm just hoping for a diagnosis. My fear is that they'll come out with something like "auto immune". If we hear wording like that then they don't know what it is.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Votto update
Posted by TomGroeschen at 5/20/2009 10:48 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The no-news update, for now: The Reds said Tuesday that Joey Votto will continue to undergo more tests for his recent dizzy spills. Votto on Tuesday saw Cincinnati internist Dr. Stephen Cleves in Cincinnati. A spokesperson at Cleves' office this morning referred all questions back to the Reds, who have not announced anything new today.

I also checked in this morning with the office of Reds medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek. Spokesperson Jayne Walker, via e-mail, said Kremchek is not permitted to speak about players' specific condition symptoms or recovery.

We would expect the Reds will have some kind of update today, given the high interest in this unusual case.

Blog and Internet speculators are raising the name Nick Esasky, the former Red whose career was derailed by vertigo in the early 1990s. Most of us not being doctors, who truly knows? Seeing Votto in the clubhouse and the dugout yesterday, to the untrained eye you would not know anything is wrong. But obviously, something is.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aae948059-30a6-4ad5-9673-34eab90b7b2b&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Larkin Fan
05-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I still maintain my belief that it's related to the influenza. The body sometimes reacts in some very peculiar ways after taking a hit from a virus. The fact that they are running test after test after test is indicative that they're not finding anything, which is even more supportive of a post viral reaction.

Caseyfan21
05-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I hope for the best with Votto. Sounds like it could be very serious though.

Chip R
05-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I also checked in this morning with the office of Reds medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek. Spokesperson Jayne Walker, via e-mail, said Kremchek is not permitted to speak about players' specific condition symptoms or recovery.

Since when? That's all Kremchek does is gab about players' health.

bucksfan2
05-20-2009, 12:12 PM

Why would you check with Kremchek? The guy is an orthopedic surgeon. Same thing about checking with the team trainer. I guess its better than nothing, and they do have a medical degree, but they really would know little about what really is going on with Votto.

traderumor
05-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Since when? That's all Kremchek does is gab about players' health.Pat HIPPA response. When he is talking on air about stuff, I am sure there is a signed document in that file giving him permission to do so.

Chip R
05-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Pat HIPPA response. When he is talking on air about stuff, I am sure there is a signed document in that file giving him permission to do so.

So why wouldn't there be in the case of Votto?

traderumor
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
So why wouldn't there be in the case of Votto?I was speaking of his commenting on injuries once they are already public knowledge, with him adding details. I don't think he could tell us anything if he wanted to on this one.

Chip R
05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
I was speaking of his commenting on injuries once they are already public knowledge, with him adding details. I don't think he could tell us anything if he wanted to on this one.

I'm not suggesting Doc K. knows something and is keeping it secret but why is this situation any different than like saying EE has a broken bone in his wrist or Nick Massett has a strained oblique muscle?

Kc61
05-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Votto is such an important asset, and the dizziness has so many possible causes, that they are probably doing a full range of testing and don't want to go public until it is done. I wouldn't read anything into it, one way or the other. It's not the kind of situation that calls for superficial tests and quick statements.

Eric_the_Red
05-20-2009, 12:49 PM
As has been stated, Kremcheck is an orthopedic surgeon. I'm not sure he would have any knowledge of what is going with Votto, as he most likely wasn't consulted. And, knowing what I do of Kremcheck, he isn't the type to say "I don't know" on any subject.

Chip R
05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
As has been stated, Kremcheck is an orthopedic surgeon. I'm not sure he would have any knowledge of what is going with Votto, as he most likely wasn't consulted. And, knowing what I do of Kremcheck, he isn't the type to say "I don't know" on any subject.

I think that's it right there. If he actually knew something you can rest assured he'd be talking about it.

traderumor
05-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm not suggesting Doc K. knows something and is keeping it secret but why is this situation any different than like saying EE has a broken bone in his wrist or Nick Massett has a strained oblique muscle?Those are through media outlets, here someone called his office. One is a reporter fishing for information, the other is him volunteering information, which I am sure is first discussed with Reds management as to what he can discuss.

M2
05-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Blog and Internet speculators are raising the name Nick Esasky, the former Red whose career was derailed by vertigo in the early 1990s.

Let's hope that's not it. No one should have their career robbed from them like Esasky did.

cumberlandreds
05-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I agree. I've had occasional bouts of vertigo too. The first time was while my wife and I were in St. Louis and it was like being on a merry-go-round. She had to drive home because I couldn't operate the car. I actually had another one that had me crashing to the floor of our bathroom. I haven't had a bout in a number of years.

I suspect this is nothing serious for Votto, or rather I hope it isn't. The club really needs him and we need to get Edwin whole and back again. Those are two very significant bats to be without.

I had a bad bout with Vertigo about 18 years ago. Mine sounded like yours. Everything was spinning around. I couldn't stand up and I got what seemed like motion sickness. My wife, then fiance, had to take me to the doctor and he diagnosed it and gave me antivert. It took a while to get over it completely. I still from time to time have problems with it especially when the pollen is heavy and it causes my sinuses to clog up. It's no fun to deal with and you feel helpless when it hits you.

RichRed
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Let's hope that's not it. No one should have their career robbed from them like Esasky did.

No kidding. I'd forgotten how young he was when that happened. He had just come off a career year at the age of 29 (the second he got out of Cincinnati, natch).

Hope it's nothing that serious for Votto.

durl
05-20-2009, 01:43 PM
A friend of my wife recently experienced vertigo. She was completely incapacitated for a few days. She went to a doctor who thought her inner ear was the problem. He had her turn her head a certain way, then quickly whip it back around. The vertigo disappeared.

I can't recall the exact diagnosis but it was something needed to be dislodged.

Tommyjohn25
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
A friend of my wife recently experienced vertigo. She was completely incapacitated for a few days. She went to a doctor who thought her inner ear was the problem. He had her turn her head a certain way, then quickly whip it back around. The vertigo disappeared.

I can't recall the exact diagnosis but it was something needed to be dislodged.

Probably a calcium deposit that made it'as way to her inner ear. Awful to experience, easy to fix.

Scrap Irony
05-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Similar batters to Esasky:
Bo Jackson
Austin Kearns

among others

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
No update on Joey Votto (dizziness). Team says more tests coming, and after that they will be more prepared to discuss causes of the dizziness. Timetable unknown.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ae9f85236-a45d-49a2-994a-18977c5fea65&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

membengal
05-20-2009, 04:03 PM
No update on Joey Votto (dizziness). Team says more tests coming, and after that they will be more prepared to discuss causes of the dizziness. Timetable unknown.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ae9f85236-a45d-49a2-994a-18977c5fea65&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Walt. DL, man. We all love Joey. Everyone. But this team can't keep playing down a man or two in any given game.

TRF
05-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Walt. DL, man. We all love Joey. Everyone. But this team can't keep playing down a man or two in any given game.

I think they are waiting on the next round of test results, likely an answer tomorrow. Now that answer may be inconclusive, but if the answer is "he's got an infection, this will clear it up in a couple of days" do you DL him and lose Votto for another 10-12 days to make up for the next few days?

It's a series of unfortunate events. 2 guys get the flu, one comes back healthy, but the flu wasn't enough to DL them. Sucks, but stuff happens.

membengal
05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Hope so, trf. I just don't want them to limp through another five to seven games short-handed if they don't have to.

Is Votto back by a week from now worth waiting on as opposed to going full strength now? Retro DL to Sunday puts him back 1st of June...

Maybe. Hard call, I suppose. It's just weird, their aversion to the DL of late.

Mario-Rijo
05-20-2009, 04:50 PM
How much does the economy play into the lack of movement between AAA and MLB. Trying to pinch pennies?

traderumor
05-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Things like this go to show how in a daily game like baseball, a 7 day DL that allows extensions to the 15 day DL if deemed necessary might be a reasonable rule change.

Big Klu
05-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Things like this go to show how in a daily game like baseball, a 7 day DL that allows extensions to the 15 day DL if deemed necessary might be a reasonable rule change.

I would think that if MLB ever added a 7-day DL, then there would be a limit as to how many players could be put on it. (Like maybe a maximum of 1 or 2.)

top6
05-20-2009, 05:13 PM
How much does the economy play into the lack of movement between AAA and MLB. Trying to pinch pennies?

This is exactly what I have been wondering. If these weird moves are the result of cheapness, then fans should be outraged, IMO.

Reds1
05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
I have Vertigo that came on as I got older. I can function and do things normally, but every now and then it acts up and it does a number on you. I've not heard anyone say this, but it could be that and that's not career ending. It's a pretty nasty little thing though.

cincrazy
05-20-2009, 06:42 PM
It's way too premature to speculate about his career being over. A former co-worker of mine had frequent dizzy spells for no apparent reason for months, and one day they just went away. Doctors never could find out why exactly. So this could take days, or weeks, or months, I don't think anyone really knows. But unless it's something extremely serious (and I hope and pray it's not), it's by no means the end of his career.

Reds Fanatic
05-20-2009, 09:56 PM
According to the broadcast tonight we should find out something tomorrow. Apparently all tests are now completed and the team will have an announcement some time tomorrow.

edabbs44
05-20-2009, 09:58 PM
According to the broadcast tonight we should find out something tomorrow. Apparently all tests are now completed and the team will have an announcement some time tomorrow.

If it was good news, would they have to schedule an announcement? Scary stuff.

cincrazy
05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
If it was good news, would they have to schedule an announcement? Scary stuff.

Well by announcement they just could have meant a press release of some sort. I honestly feel that if it were something REALLY serious, Votto would not only not be in the dugout and smiling, but he would be in a hospital somewhere.

MikeS21
05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't think money is playing into it.

What I think it boils down to is they don't want to send Votto to the DL for the next two weeks, if they discover it's an inner ear infection that an antibiotic can clear up in three or four days.

Dizziness can be caused by any number of factors, most of which turn out to be perfectly treatable.

Falls City Beer
05-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I don't think money is playing into it.

What I think it boils down to is they don't want to send Votto to the DL for the next two weeks, if they discover it's an inner ear infection that an antibiotic can clear up in three or four days.

Dizziness can be caused by any number of factors, most of which turn out to be perfectly treatable.

I agree. I'm not ready to call this Brian's Song just yet.

HokieRed
05-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I just assume they're saying they'll have an announcement so that the info. comes out clearly and is not the result of rumors, whispers, speculations etc. Seems like the professional way to do it.

traderumor
05-20-2009, 10:18 PM
If all the results of the tests are in, not sure why they are being so melodramatic. Just make an announcement already.

M2
05-20-2009, 10:19 PM
If all the results of the tests are in, not sure why they are being so melodramatic. Just make an announcement already.

This strikes me as being the sort of thing where the test results could be inconclusive.

Larkin Fan
05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
This strikes me as being the sort of thing where the test results could be inconclusive.

It is the sort of thing where the test results are more often than not inconclusive. He went through day after day of tests because nothing was showing up on the tests they'd run previously.

IMO, this is nothing more than a complication from a severe case of the flu. It happens. The sky is not falling. It never was.

Chip R
05-20-2009, 11:22 PM
IMO, this is nothing more than a complication from a severe case of the flu. It happens. The sky is not falling. It never was.

You've been away too long to know that's not true. ;)

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Regarding Joey Votto and his medical tests: “The reports I’ve heard have all come back negative,” Baker said. “That’s a good sign.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aa62b3085-d0be-4899-83d9-47e7fc3efd02&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2009, 11:49 PM
All the tests of Joey Votto are over and manager Dusty Baker said they all turned out negative. The Reds were saying nothing until Thursday morning, when results will be revealed.

“All the reports that I’ve heard is that everything has come back negative, so that’s a good sign,” said Baker. “We’ll see. Knock on wood and hope we get him back soon.”

That’s good news and bad news - good being the negative tests, but the bad is, “What in the hell is wrong with him? Why is he getting dizzy? Why is he having focus problems.” Maybe the Reds can tell us Thursday.

One story I heard from inside the clubhouse is that as a kid Votto had a bad ear infection and that the flu he had a couple of weeks ago caused the infection-like symptoms to return - dizziness, lack of focus. Just somebody talking - not officials. Yet.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

VR
05-21-2009, 12:23 AM
All the tests of Joey Votto are over and manager Dusty Baker said they all turned out negative. The Reds were saying nothing until Thursday morning, when results will be revealed.

“All the reports that I’ve heard is that everything has come back negative, so that’s a good sign,” said Baker. “We’ll see. Knock on wood and hope we get him back soon.”

I'm envisioning Dusty tapping his toothpick when he says that.

WVRedsFan
05-21-2009, 01:44 AM

That’s good news and bad news - good being the negative tests, but the bad is, “What in the hell is wrong with him? Why is he getting dizzy? Why is he having focus problems.” Maybe the Reds can tell us Thursday.

One story I heard from inside the clubhouse is that as a kid Votto had a bad ear infection and that the flu he had a couple of weeks ago caused the infection-like symptoms to return - dizziness, lack of focus. Just somebody talking - not officials. Yet.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Been there. If it's true that Votto had ear problems (as I had as a kid and have had as an adult), any sort of infection can set this off. You do get over it, but there is nothing you can do. I say play him until it happens. The alternative is to sit him and leave a lot of hits on the bench while we keep on hoping McDonald finally gets it. I have news. He won't.

Razor Shines
05-21-2009, 02:57 AM
I heard that Joey was seen at the Plumb Clinic in Sacramende. They did pretty good work on Lucille Ostero.

Strikes Out Looking
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
I heard that Joey was seen at the Plumb Clinic in Sacramende. They did pretty good work on Lucille Ostero.

Good thing he didn't lose his hand to Lou's seal! I don't think he could play first base with a hook.

OnBaseMachine
05-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Votto has inner ear infection
Posted by TomGroeschen at 5/21/2009 11:18 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Reds trainer Mark Mann just met with reporters in Dusty Baker's office and gave the announcement regarding Joey Votto's recent bouts with dizziness:

Inner ear infection (left ear). Votto is on medication and will do some light workouts and hitting before the game today, then again tomorrow. Not in the lineup today, playing status day to day.

Drs. Stephen Cleves (internist) and Reds medical director Tim Kremchek came to the conclusion that the inner ear infection had caused Votto's dizziness, Mann said.

Votto had some history of inner ear infections as a youth, Mann said. Votto underwent a battery of tests the past several days.

"The only thing that came back irregular was the audiology test, indicating he had an inner ear infection," Mann said. "That was secondary to the upper respiratory infection he had 10 days ago, which from I get from Dr. Cleves is a common occurrence," Mann said.

Votto was not immediately available to comment.

Reds manager Dusty Baker said he was "thankful and grateful" with the news.

"I'm just glad they found what it was, No. 1," Baker said. "There was a lot of stuff floating around out there, a lot of neighborhood doctors."

More to come.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a9f77e955-157c-4374-ada2-26453b7f91f3&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Reds Fanatic
05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Very good news. Of the many things that could have been wrong with Votto this is about the best news there could be. Inner ear infections are bad when you have them but it is nothing long term and he will be fine when the infection is gone.

OnBaseMachine
05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Very good news. Of the many things that could have been wrong with Votto this is about the best news there could be. Inner ear infections are bad when you have them but it is nothing long term and he will be fine when the infection is gone.

That's great to hear. I was getting worried it was something far worse.

HeatherC1212
05-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info and I am BEYOND relieved that it's just an ear infection and not anything worse! I was starting to worry that it was something really serious when they kept putting off releasing information. An inner ear infection was actually my first thought when I heard he was having dizziness last week because anything in the ear can totally throw you off. I've had ear issues before and the effects from them can be really unsettling. Hopefully we can get him well again and back in the lineup soon. :)

Screwball
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
"The only thing that came back irregular was the audiology test, indicating he had an inner ear infection," Mann said. "That was secondary to the upper respiratory infection he had 10 days ago, which from I get from Dr. Cleves is a common occurrence," Mann said.

Good call by Dr. LF:

Problems with dizziness and balance are extremely common after a case of influenza. Fluid builds up in the ear (which contains structures that maintain equilibrium) and causes the problem. He could possibly have a minor ear infection secondary to the flu. He's just going to need a couple of days for his body to recover completely from the virus.

remdog
05-21-2009, 11:49 AM
"I'm just glad they found what it was, No. 1," Baker said. "There was a lot of stuff floating around out there, a lot of neighborhood doctors."

Sounds like Dusty has been reading this thread. :). "Neighborhood doctors". So appropriate. Good call, Dusty.

Rem

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Biggest best news possible. Right now Votto is the most important player to the franchise, in my opinion.

Eric_the_Red
05-21-2009, 11:58 AM
You can hear the collective sigh of relief from Reds fans. Hopefully Votto gets back soon and his bat hasn't cooled significantly while dealing with the dizziness.

remdog
05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Biggest best news possible. Right now Votto is the most important player to the franchise, in my opinion.

Gotta' disagree. Volquez and/or Cueto are, at this moment, the most important players to the franchise.

The Reds drafted Yonder to, basically, replace Joey. If they can find a way for them to coexsist on the same team that's great but, the Reds at this point, certainly appear to be looking at Yonder as the Alpha Male in the mix.

Rem

bucksfan2
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Gotta' disagree. Volquez and/or Cueto are, at this moment, the most important players to the franchise.

The Reds drafted Yonder to, basically, replace Joey. If they can find a way for them to coexsist on the same team that's great but, the Reds at this point, certainly appear to be looking at Yonder as the Alpha Male in the mix.

Rem

IMO the Reds drafted the BPA (best player available). I don't think Yonder was drafted to replace Votto just they thought he had what they liked the most. I think odds are 50/50 that Yonder ever sets foot at GABP in a Reds uni.

CrackerJack
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I had the same exact thing Votto had late last year - took me about a month to get rid of the fluid stuck in my inner ear (I could barely hear anything out of one ear for a month). Really bad flu season.

When is EE expected back? I've had enough of watching Rosales, yeesh.

remdog
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
IMO the Reds drafted the BPA (best player available). I don't think Yonder was drafted to replace Votto just they thought he had what they liked the most. I think odds are 50/50 that Yonder ever sets foot at GABP in a Reds uni.

Despite the fact that I really like Joey, I think that the Reds, down the line, look at Yonder as being 'The Man'.

While I don't necessarily agree, I'd guess that the Reds could get more for Joey right now than Yonder. (famous shrug) That may be the way things play out.

Personally, I'd like to see both guys wearing the 'Wishbone C'. It's just that one can move positions, the other can't.

Rem

Falls City Beer
05-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Great news. I can put away the Housman now?

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 12:15 PM

No chance. Votto has proven himself. Alonso hasn't.

The reason I think Votto is the most important player in the franchise is that he holds the key to whether they can integrate Alonso into the major league team. If he agrees to move to LF, all is well.

I also think his ability to hold down the #3 spot in the lineup takes a huge burden off of Bruce, who is clearly going to struggle to gain consistency at the major league level. If Bruce were installed as the #3 hitter, as Baker tried to do last year, I'd give him almost no chance of developing his potential -- he's just not ready for that role any time soon. And with Votto there, he doesn't have to worry about it anyway.

Volquez and/or Cueto are, at this moment, the most important players to the franchise.

So you get 2 players to my 1? Starting pitchers play once every 5 days. I can't give 1 of them the same importance as a guy who has as much influence as I think Votto has on the offensive makeup of the club for the foreseeable future.

remdog
05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
No chance. Votto has proven himself. Alonso hasn't.

The reason I think Votto is the most important player in the franchise is that he holds the key to whether they can integrate Alonso into the major league team. If he agrees to move to LF, all is well.

While Votto has 'proven' himself, up to this point, with a bat, Joey is going to be the player that has to move. The two easiest positions to replace are LF and 1st base.

Rem

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 12:27 PM
While Votto has 'proven' himself, up to this point, with a bat, Joey is going to be the player that has to move.

If Votto has a strong preference for staying at 1B, they'll deal Alonso, I think. My sense is that Votto is here to stay.

remdog
05-21-2009, 12:28 PM
So you get 2 players to my 1? Starting pitchers play once every 5 days. I can't give 1 of them the same importance as a guy who has as much influence as I think Votto has on the offensive makeup of the club for the foreseeable future.

No. I get logic over hyperbole. (famous shrug)

Pitching is the most important factor in produceing a winning team. Ergo, right now, Volquez and Cueto are more valuable to the Reds than Joey Votto (as much as I like the guy). If you dangled all three out there on the trade market I'd be willing to bet that Joey would be the number three choice.

Rem

lollipopcurve
05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Pitching is the most important factor in produceing a winning team. Ergo, right now, Volquez and Cueto are more valuable to the Reds than Joey Votto (as much as I like the guy). If you dangled all three out there on the trade market I'd be willing to bet that Joey would be the number three choice.

Yes, true. But -- for the reasons I described -- Votto's influence on the future of Alonso and Bruce -- again, this is my speculation -- he is an extremely influential player within the franchise. It goes beyond his individual performance on the field. You lose Votto, the bottom could drop out of the offense, in my opinion.

bucksfan2
05-21-2009, 12:36 PM
No. I get logic over hyperbole. (famous shrug)

Rem

I would give you Cueto is as important as Votto. I am beginning to have doubts about Volquez. Cueto looks like he has that swagger. He has that desire, he has that want to be great. I don't get the same feeling with Volquez.

I wouldn't trade any of the three, but I would put a little more value in Votto because he has shown the ability to change the game day in day out. Cueto and Volquez get the chance every 5th day.

OnBaseMachine
05-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Votto was in the clubhouse before the announcement was made, but declined comment until the team went public. After Mann's announcement, Votto was not immediately available to comment.

Votto had contracted an upper respiratory infection in Cincinnati on the last homestand. Then came the long flight to Phoenix for the Arizona series. Then, another flight to San Diego skewed things anew, causing Votto to leave two games with dizziness.

"The thought process was that's probably what brought on the symptoms he originally had in Phoenix," Mann said. "That's probably what set things off."

Why so long for the diagnosis?

"When you're talking about the inner ear, there's a lot greater in-depth testing that needs to be done by an audiologist to really look at his balance with the inner ear fluid," Mann said. "It's a completely different battery of tests than what you're typically into."

Mann added: "My understanding in talking to Dr. Cleves, everyone's different. With him not flying over the course of this homestand, this should be something Dr. Cleves said should resolve itself within the next few days."

Since May 7, Votto has missed eight games with flu or dizziness and twice more left games early. Votto has not played since last Saturday in San Diego. Votto still leads the NL in on-base percentage (.470) and is third in batting average (.366).

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a9f77e955-157c-4374-ada2-26453b7f91f3&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Johnny Footstool
05-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Classic. Total classic.

hebroncougar
05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
That's strange, when my 3 year old gets an inner ear infection, the doc looks at it, and diagnoses it in about 15 seconds. I don't think I'm buying it.

HokieRed
05-21-2009, 02:03 PM
If Votto has a strong preference for staying at 1B, they'll deal Alonso, I think. My sense is that Votto is here to stay.

Disagree. If Votto won't move to LF, I think they'll trade Votto. They've got control over Alonso for at least a couple extra years. I hope this is academic as I think the key to our being really good from 2010 on is to have Alonso, Votto, Bruce, and two above average right-handed bats in the lineup. We have the candidates for those; whether they can do the job every day is less clear.

Sea Ray
05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm hoping Votto is on the team for a long time and the reason isn't limited to his numbers. Sure we can find offensive minded 1B and LF but he has a leadership intangible that's been excedingly rare to find. I compare him to a Tony Perez in terms of his leadership capabilities. We'll need that and I hope our front office sees it too.

IslandRed
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
That's strange, when my 3 year old gets an inner ear infection, the doc looks at it, and diagnoses it in about 15 seconds. I don't think I'm buying it.

A lot of infections are called "inner ear" that are technically "middle ear." If it's so deep that it's affecting balance or causing dizziness, it's probably a true inner ear infection, and you can't see that just by peering down the ear canal.

(Not a doctor, just a parent with Google)

M2
05-21-2009, 02:59 PM
The Reds have got a player who's actually good at his position, both offensively and defensively. Why move him off of position? I really don't care if they club has a prospect. Keep the one you think is going to be the better player, deal the other one for something you need.

Big Klu
05-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Rem

Disagree. I think the Reds drafted Alonso to be Matt LaPorta, Part Deux.

LvJ
05-21-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm glad he's okay. :)

_Sir_Charles_
05-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Disagree. I think the Reds drafted Alonso to be Matt LaPorta, Part Deux.

Yep. I agree. They picked the best player available and once he's ready...we deal him if we don't have a slot for him. I know everybody tends to get high on the prospects, but one of the biggest assets of the farm is building trading chips. Yonder's a big one IMO.

OnBaseMachine
05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
THE INNER EAR infection is mostly gone, replaced by a broad smile that was missing for most of the last 10 days from the face of Cincinnati Reds first baseman Joey Votto.

The inner ear infection hurt, but Votto is thankful it was only that — just an inner ear infection that made him dizzy, nauseous and made him lose focus.

“With all the tests I went through, it was a pretty scary few days,” he said. “A lot of the tests were pretty imposing, tests I’d never experienced before. But to get them all back negative is a big relief. None of the tests were fun and I feel like a pin cushion.”

But he is a smiling pin cushion who hopes to be back in the lineup by Sunday — maybe Saturday —after he does all the pre-game work tonight before a game against the Cleveland Indians.

“Scared? Of course,” he said. “That’s everybody’s instinct going through different tests and it was such a shock, staying overnight in a hospital (the Scripps Clinic in LaJolla, Calif.). Finally getting the results back gave me not only peace of mind, but a sense of confidence.”

Votto said he won’t predict his return, that trainer Mark Mann and manager Dusty Baker will let him know, “Although sitting on the bench and seeing the game today (Thursday) — I wanted to get in there, but Mann’s common sense kept me out.”

Baker plans to let Votto settle in gradually and said, “Hopefully we will have him back in a couple of days. We’ll get him some reps (hitting and fielding), get some baseball work in.”

Votto left two games on the last six-game trip, once in Arizona and once in San Diego and said, “Up until yesterday (Wednesday) I wasn’t feeling very well, but it was a combination of getting over what I had and dealing with the anxieties of the unknown. Being with the club and hanging out with the guys helped, because this is what I love to do.”

Asked about reactions from people on the street when he saw them, Votto laughed and said, “While I was sick, I didn’t leave my place or I was in the hospital. I didn’t spend much time interacting with people because, frankly, I wasn’t in the mood.”

Topcat
05-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Oh man such good news! I was having a paranoia Nick Esasky moment.

GAC
05-22-2009, 04:50 AM
A lot of infections are called "inner ear" that are technically "middle ear." If it's so deep that it's affecting balance or causing dizziness, it's probably a true inner ear infection, and you can't see that just by peering down the ear canal.

(Not a doctor, just a parent with Google)

Very true. And I'm someone who, throughout their life, has had more then their share (and battles) with inner ear infections. But still, when one is encountering the symptoms Votto was (dizziness, balance, etc), while also coming off a nice bout with the flu too, the first thing most doctors will first assume, when looking at that, is that it's related possibly to (or led to) an inner (middle) ear infection and start there first, even do an audiogram, and then proceed from there.

Now maybe they did. I don't know. But it sure seems like it took them an inordinate amount of time to diagnose this inner ear problem.

But good news overall. He'll be back shortly.

RFS62
05-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Score another one for Dr. Larkin Fan.

HeatherC1212
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Asked about reactions from people on the street when he saw them, Votto laughed and said, “While I was sick, I didn’t leave my place or I was in the hospital. I didn’t spend much time interacting with people because, frankly, I wasn’t in the mood.”

I love his honesty there, LOL :laugh:

Selfishly I hope he's back in the lineup tomorrow because I'm going to the game tomorrow night, but I'm just glad they know what the problem is and that it's treatable. Get well soon Joey! :thumbup:

Reds1
05-22-2009, 03:05 PM
yes, me and several in my wife's family have this issue and it's nasty. Once you get the meds though he should be playing Sat.

Jpup
05-22-2009, 03:07 PM
The Reds have got a player who's actually good at his position, both offensively and defensively. Why move him off of position? I really don't care if they club has a prospect. Keep the one you think is going to be the better player, deal the other one for something you need.

I've been saying this for a long time. Joey Votto is your first baseman until he doesn't want to be anymore and anything else doesn't matter. The Reds are not moving Joey Votto to left field and I doubt they have even considered it.

Degenerate39
05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I've been saying this for a long time. Joey Votto is your first baseman until he doesn't want to be anymore and anything else doesn't matter. The Reds are not moving Joey Votto to left field and I doubt they have even considered it.

Then why did they draft Alonso? I'm sure they've at least considered moving him to Left

bucksfan2
05-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Then why did they draft Alonso? I'm sure they've at least considered moving him to Left

They drafted the best player available. If you draft for need in the MLB draft you are going to end up in trouble.

Jpup
05-22-2009, 04:17 PM

They drafted the best player available. Something you should always do IMO.

George Anderson
05-22-2009, 04:26 PM
They drafted the best player available. Something you should always do IMO.

Bill Polian agrees.

traderumor
05-22-2009, 10:30 PM
They drafted the best player available. Something you should always do IMO.A lot can happen between drafting a guy in a position that you already have your best young player and his reaching the majors, as this last week so clearly demonstrated. Life comes at you fast.

HokieRed
05-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Back to the motivation for drafting Alonso debate, I have to respectfully disagree with those who think he was drafted with the idea of trading him. If you see him hit, you'll see not only a very accomplished young hitter but one with great power to left center field. I'd be willing to bet he was drafted with the idea he'd play half his games in GABP.

RFS62
05-22-2009, 10:41 PM
When we drafted him, we thought Votto was going to be a stud, but nobody could guarantee he'd develop as he has this season.

You take the best player available.

HokieRed
05-22-2009, 10:56 PM
You take the best player available.[/QUOTE]

Agree completely. Only way to draft. And I think we got him for once, last year.