PDA

View Full Version : Will the Reds ever win another game?

The Baumer
05-19-2009, 09:29 PM
What do you think? Will the Reds ever win another game?

Post SABRs to back up your opinions.

Thanks.

dougdirt
05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I went with no. Its just simply unpossible.

KronoRed
05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Only if they bring back Bob Boone

marcshoe
05-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Too early to tell. If they bring up Gomes and cut McDonald, they'll go undefeated the rest of the way.

BoydsOfSummer
05-19-2009, 10:20 PM
I blame Dusty.

I think I found the problem though. I haven't caught the last four games; no radio, tv, or in person. They just can't win without my awesome fan support. I vow to do better!

The Baumer
05-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Whoever voted "Yes" must be feeling reaaally dumb right now!

Ron Madden
05-20-2009, 03:22 AM
Only if they bring back Bob Boone

No way that'll do it. We gotta bring back Sparky or Pete!!!!!!

;)

MrCinatit
05-20-2009, 03:56 AM
Of course not. This is not only the time to panic, but this is a time for hysterical panic. I'm talking nailing the doors shut, shot-gun, zombie-infested street panic.
As for statistical proof, I will use this: In the Reds' last four games, they have yet to post a win. If that trend continues for the rest of the year, that points to them winning no more games! Irrefutable.

redsmetz
05-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Excellent thread. As Chicken Little said, "The sky is falling!" [BTW, this illustration is by my daughter - proud papa hat off]

http://elizabeth-metz.com/index/Chicken_files/shapeimage_1.jpg

Ltlabner
05-20-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm talking nailing the doors shut, shot-gun, zombie-infested street panic. .

http://pclove.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/left4dead.jpg

marcshoe
05-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Well, the last two games pretty much settled it. If you can't beat Jake Peavy and Cole Hamels, what hope is there?

oneupper
05-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Of course they won't win again. Now that they can't win the World Series, the rest of the season is irrelevant.

Chip R
05-20-2009, 09:41 AM
What do you think? Will the Reds ever win another game?

Thanks.

I don't think it would be a good idea to post pictures of SABR members here. Invasion of privacy and all that. Plus I don't know what that would accomplish.

Kc61
05-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Think about it. The most current bout of gloom and doom is because of a single inning, an umpire's calls, and perhaps questionable relief pitching and relief pitcher usage.

No big deal they lost Friday night in SD. Reds had won three straight on the road. Can't expect more on the road.

No big deal they lost Sunday and Monday. Peavy and Hamels, with no Votto, no EE in the lineup. Tough games to win.

That brings us to Saturday, the 16 inning loss. Four things in retrospect are upsetting:

Lincoln brought in with 5-2 lead and allows a solo homer.

Umpire wouldn't give Weathers any calls on close pitches in eighth. Seemed on TV like the same Weathers pitches usually called strikes.

Weathers keeps throwing those same pitches despite umpire's calls.

Dusty doesn't bring in Cordero when Weathers in trouble in the inning.

If not for that sequence, I don't think there's gloom. I think the Reds have a 4-2 road trip and everyone is ok.

Baseball is a funny game.

marcshoe
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks.

Sorry; I missed that part of the post.

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image/SwordsToledo/sabre-swords-51.jpg

http://www.finkbuilt.com/static/images/articles/sabers2.jpg

top6
05-20-2009, 05:15 PM
The only possible solutions, IMO, are to either sign Jeff Shaw or option Willy Mo Pena to the minors (we will have to rework his contract to do so). Otherwise, no, they will never win again.

thatcoolguy_22
05-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Only if this guy plays SS or is our RH LF platoon partner.

http://backstagebusiness.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/optimusprime.jpg

Mario-Rijo
05-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Only if this guy plays SS or is our RH LF platoon partner.

http://backstagebusiness.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/optimusprime.jpg

Full time starter in LF IMO, no more HR's for the opposition.

LINEDRIVER
05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Is Walt Jocketty feeling embarrassment in the fact that he can't come up with a better option than Darnell McDonald ???

thatcoolguy_22
05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Is Walt Jocketty feeling embarrassment in the fact that he can't come up with a better option than Darnell McDonald ???

Not at all. He's just waiting on Boras to lower O. Prime's salary demands. Everything will be fine soon enough, have faith.

Ltlabner
05-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Obviously not. Duh.

Eric_the_Red
05-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Okay, so Optimus Prime has LF covered. Here are my suggestions for the rest of the team:

1B - He-Man - great power production from the corner infield
2B - Snake Eyes - every team needs a ninja
3B - Raphael - okay two ninjas...but this one is a turtle! With a bad attitude! And sais!!
SS - Mr. Fantastic - nobody ranges to the hole like Reed Richards
CF - The Flash - no ball will ever find the gap again; bats leadoff, bunts for a single every time up, steals 2000 bases
RF - The Incredible Hulk - go ahead...you tag up on him; downside: slightly better anger management than Milton Bradley
C - Robocop - great at memorizing scouting reports; insanely accurate arm

Rotation:
Bugs Bunny - just ask the Gashouse Gorillas
Popeye - power arm(s)
Grape Ape - just think how tall he looks on the mound
Wonder Woman - uses her curves to set up the curves
Batman - the thinking man's pitcher

Closer: Mighty Mouse - "Here I come to save the game!"

Owner: Scrooge McDuck - dude swims in his money!

With the above lineup I think this team could win another 4 or 5 games this year.

marcshoe
05-20-2009, 09:26 PM
You're wrong; The Flash bunts for a home run every time up. :)

Joseph
05-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Okay, so Optimus Prime has LF covered. Here are my suggestions for the rest of the team:

3B - Raphael - okay two ninjas...but this one is a turtle! With a bad attitude! And sais!!
CF - The Flash - no ball will ever find the gap again; bats leadoff, bunts for a single every time up, steals 2000 bases
RF - The Incredible Hulk - go ahead...you tag up on him; downside: slightly better anger management than Milton Bradley

Rotation:
Popeye - power arm(s)

With the above lineup I think this team could win another 4 or 5 games this year.

Great line up. My only point of contention is that with 600 ABs a year it would be impossible for Flash to steal more than 1800 bases a year. Come on, think logically man. :thumbup:

Eric_the_Red
05-20-2009, 09:34 PM
You think the Flash only gets 600 Abs with that lineup? ;)

M2
05-20-2009, 09:41 PM

Rotation:
Popeye - power arm(s)

Optimus Prime rusts in high humidity. Can't play him in LF near sea level. Don't worry, I've got you covered.

LF - Lion-O - He's the ultimate manchild. Five tools, plus the Sword of Omens. And the home run call when he goes yard? HO!

redsmetz
05-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Eric, you have to make room on your team for either (or both) the Elongated Man or Plastic Man, even if only for defensive purposes. Both would appropriately carry the nickname "Stretch."

MrCinatit
05-21-2009, 06:10 AM
I personally think a good utility man could be had in The Tick, who is nigh-invulnerable as well as a possessor of Drama Power.

marcshoe
05-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Why has no one mentioned Scrappy-doo?

Ltlabner
05-21-2009, 09:01 AM
After last night, its only more obvious that the thread title needs to be change to "can anyone ever beat the Reds again?"

BCubb2003
05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
We can dream, but the lineup is likely to be more like Goofy, Daffy, Foghorn and Egghead.

top6
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Wolverine should be a starting pitcher - actually, the only starting pitcher. Dusty can let him throw 500 pitches a night, every night, and his auto-healing powers would prevent him from suffering arm trouble.

Who am I kidding, Dusty would still find some way to mess up his arm.

westofyou
05-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Wolverine should be a starting pitcher - actually, the only starting pitcher. Dusty can let him throw 500 pitches a night, every night, and his auto-healing powers would prevent him from suffering arm trouble.

Is it really Dusty?

or is it Dick Pole the only pitching coach he's ever had?

top6
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Is it really Dusty?

Well, even if it is Dick Pole, then it's still Dusty's team and ultimately his decision.

But in fairness I don't think Dusty's been very bad as far as overusing pitchers in his time with the Reds (except the Harang incident).

Eric_the_Red
05-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Nah, Wolverine's too short to be an effective starter. Put him in long relief and his healing properties can make him a rubberarmed bullpen guy, like an uber-Scott Sullivan.

MrCinatit
05-21-2009, 08:11 PM

My largest concern would be when the opposition starts accusing him of scuffing the ball.

thatcoolguy_22
05-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Why don't we just replace Dusty with Professor X? Dick Pole is now "the brain" (from pinky and the brain) and the bench coach is Papa Smurf.

RedEye
05-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Why has no one mentioned Scrappy-doo?

I don't want this to turn into another Scrappy-doo thread. We pretty much know where everyone stands on the guy. He's a polarizing figure.

Big Klu
05-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Nah, Wolverine's too short to be an effective starter. Put him in long relief and his healing properties can make him a rubberarmed bullpen guy, like an uber-Scott Sullivan.

My largest concern would be when the opposition starts accusing him of scuffing the ball.

God help the guy who charges the mound! (Well, that 'roided up OF on the West Coast might be able to hold his own. What's his name...Victor something....)

Mario-Rijo
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Is it really Dusty?

I thought he was just the bench coach in Chicago? Plus I think Dusty had another pitching coach in S.F. from 98-02.

Wikipedia:

Pole returned to his roots as pitching coach for the Pawtucket Red Sox in 1992, then spent 1993-1997 on the coaching staff of the San Francisco Giants, under Dusty Baker. Pole next worked as bullpen coach for Boston in 1998. After that, he was pitching coach for the Anaheim Angels in 1999, for the Cleveland Indians from 2000-2001, and for the Montreal Expos in 2002. He re-joined the coaching staff of the Cubs in 2003. He is currently the pitching coach for the Cincinnati Reds, taking the job in early November 2006.

AmarilloRed
05-22-2009, 01:25 AM
I want to commend the poll maker for using the word "pythagoras" AND spelling it right. Just for that, I voted yes.:D

LINEDRIVER
05-22-2009, 02:44 PM

WOW!!! Walter and his multitude of advisors FINALLY came up with a solution to the Darnell problem. Thank You, Walter!!

The Baumer
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Reviving this poll. :D

The Baumer
08-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Post data, please. Ty.

Brutus
08-03-2009, 11:47 PM
No. Starting......... now.