PDA

View Full Version : The Continuing Saga of "The Trade"

WVRedsFan
05-20-2009, 02:10 AM
It's not the fault of Bill Bray, or Wayne Krivsky, or even some guy named Majewski, but that famous transaction stinks more as time goes by. It reeks. So far, Majewski was a disaster from day one and Bray has not been healthy almost from day one. Felipe Lopez, after a short stint with StLouis is now playing for Arizona after escaping the black hole that is the Washington Nationals and is hitting .313/.370/.843. Of course, we don't need offense on the Reds (and since his switch to second base, his defense is better). Austin Kearns has done nothing but underachieve. The rest of the players involved are either still in the minors or insignificant.

It's no shock that the player that most of us didn't mind trading has done the best. I wish Bray the best, but my guess is we've seen the last of him. Like Brandon Claussen, another savior that many proclaimed would save the franchise, it's just not going to happen.

camisadelgolf
05-20-2009, 06:53 AM
:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse :deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse
:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse :deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

thatcoolguy_22
05-20-2009, 07:46 AM
http://www.tienganh.com.vn/vi/uploads/News/pic/1222094976.nv.gif

Ltlabner
05-20-2009, 07:50 AM
http://4fxearth.net/phpBB2/smilies_mod/upload/1beb8b2ae6d61633f35d740313c6c610.gif

Dan
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I wonder for how many years we'd have beaten the dead horse if this site had been around when Robinson for Pappas went down.

As Annie Savoy says, bad trades are a part of baseball.

TRF
05-20-2009, 10:47 AM
It's not the fault of Bill Bray, or Wayne Krivsky, or even some guy named Majewski, but that famous transaction stinks more as time goes by. It reeks. So far, Majewski was a disaster from day one and Bray has not been healthy almost from day one. Felipe Lopez, after a short stint with StLouis is now playing for Arizona after escaping the black hole that is the Washington Nationals and is hitting .313/.370/.843. Of course, we don't need offense on the Reds (and since his switch to second base, his defense is better). Austin Kearns has done nothing but underachieve. The rest of the players involved are either still in the minors or insignificant.

It's no shock that the player that most of us didn't mind trading has done the best. I wish Bray the best, but my guess is we've seen the last of him. Like Brandon Claussen, another savior that many proclaimed would save the franchise, it's just not going to happen.

god, even I am sick of this topic, and I railed against the trade for over a year.

I've got FeLo on two fantasy teams. Kearns on another. That's my therapy. I suggest you find yours.

REDREAD
05-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I think that's a pretty good analysis.

I wonder why the people with the dead horse icons opened the thread if they didn't want to read about it. :)

The true cost to the Reds was that "The Trade" sunk their 2006 playoff chances (and the whole purpose of the Trade was to help us make the playoffs). Later it was rationalized that the trade was a build for the future instead.. well, I think we have enough data now to say that it didn't help the future either.

Major loss for the Reds, in opportunity cost if nothing else. Kearns and Lopez were worth more than a handful of beans in 2006. Sure Maj and Bray were also worth more in 2006, but there's a reason why most baseball people were shocked the Reds did that move.

westofyou
05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Bringing up Felipe Lopez's loss and using his last 350 ab's as the sword to push the subject into the forefront is funny as hell. Of course those 1354 PA's with Washington (and the OPS vs the league a .100 points below average) don't matter... for Wayne Krivsky was the devil.. I get that now.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Gary Majewski = damaged goods.
Bill Bray = damaged goods.
Darryl Thompson = damaged goods.
Royce Clayton = waste of roster space.
Brendan Harris = only decent part of the trade that was given away.

Might be a dead horse, but everything about this trade should be an example of how not to run a baseball franchise.

TRF
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Gary Majewski = damaged goods.
Bill Bray = damaged goods.
Darryl Thompson = damaged goods.
Royce Clayton = waste of roster space.
Brendan Harris = only decent part of the trade that was given away.

Might be a dead horse, but everything about this trade should be an example of how not to run a baseball franchise.

And can be used to show GM's, especially ROOKIE GM's can and do make mistakes.

M2
05-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Here's the Win Shares count on what the Reds got out of the trade:

Bray - 8
Majewski - -2
Thompson - 0
Clayton - 1
Harris - 0

That's spectacularly little in return. As it turns out, Brendan Harris (24 WS in 2007-8 and getting regular work with the Twins this season) was the keeper.

dfs
05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
As it turns out, Brendan Harris (24 WS in 2007-8 and getting regular work with the Twins this season) was the keeper.

Yeah. Too bad this franchise and it's fans don't overvalue utility guys that can play several positions .....

Oh, Wait. nevermind.

westofyou
05-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah. Too bad this franchise and it's fans don't overvalue utility guys that can play several positions .....

Oh, Wait. nevermind.

One of the problems there was that The Reds chose Freel over Harris in a way, and mostly because he was "fast" and that was a missing tool in the team makeup at the time.

Bad choice, but in way I can see it.

Joseph
05-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Been there done that folks.