PDA

View Full Version : Indians Fielding Offers for Mark DeRosa

Homer Bailey
05-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Indians Fielding Offers For Mark DeRosa
By Tim Dierkes [May 20, 2009 at 10:39am CST]
According to SI's Jon Heyman, the Indians are now fielding offers for infielder Mark DeRosa. DeRosa, 34, is hitting .242/.312/.412 on the season in 170 plate appearances as the Tribe's third baseman. He has about $4.15MM left on his contract.

Heyman says the Indians "are looking mainly for pitchers who can help them now." Heyman believes DeRosa is below Nick Johnson, Aubrey Huff, and Russell Branyan on the Mets' wish list. What other teams would make sense - the Braves, Cubs, Brewers, or Cardinals perhaps? You can discuss it in the comments here, and also head over to our Facebook fan page and jump into that discussion.

Over at the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Paul Hoynes says Indians GM Mark Shapiro "is talking to general managers, but it's not about subtracting players in preparation for next year."

Thought it was worth noting. Worth a phone call? Maloney/Roenicke? I've loved DeRosa for a while and would love to see him as a Red.

TheNext44
05-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Thought it was worth noting. Worth a phone call? Maloney/Roenicke? I've loved DeRosa for a while and would love to see him as a Red.

He seems like a perfect fit. Very solid, if unremarkable offensive numbers and can fill in at 3B until EE comes back, or be the RH part of LF. Would give the team a lot of flexibility. And he is kinda affordable.

Indians need young arms, especially in the bullpen. Seem like too good of a match that it will probably never happen.

camisadelgolf
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
I don't think DeRosa is even worth calling about. He's exiting his prime (34 years old) and on a one-year contract. If he could be an average shortstop, I'd consider it, but he's overpaid and wouldn't upgrade the Reds anywhere except on the bench, and even there, I'm not sure he'd perform better than Adam Rosales.

PuffyPig
05-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Why would we give up young, affordable pitching to fill a tempoary hole? Rosales is probably just as good anyway.

nate
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Is DeRosa significantly better than JHJ?

.245/.294/.451/.745 - JHJ
.242/.312/.412/.742 - DeRosa

Mario-Rijo
05-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I'd do it for 2 reasons #1 it helps rid us of McDonald moving JHJ back to LF with Derosa filling in at 3B/1B and Rosales making a better bench. #2 It keeps him from going to St. Louis and/or back to the Cubbies.

lollipopcurve
05-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I'd get in line. He's a better hitter than he's shown so far. Plus, he's hitting lefties well. He knows the NL Central. I'd offer some AAA pitching not named Bailey or Fisher. Straight up for Roenicke, Viola or Maloney? I think I'd do it.

traderumor
05-20-2009, 03:50 PM
I would hate to see us give up anything until we give Gomes a chance to platoon with Nix in LF. DeRosa doesn't exactly play a good LF.

The bigger question on the Indians is when Wedge gets canned.

RedEye
05-20-2009, 04:01 PM
If they did do this, it might work out well. He could have an Aurilia-esque resurgence in GABP and fill in a lot of places on the diamond. He's not showing it right now, but I think his bat is a tick better than most of the other options the team has right now.

That said, I wouldn't want the Reds to give up too much. I'd be all over a Maloney for DeRosa deal, but not much more than that.

How much is he paid?

nate
05-20-2009, 04:06 PM
If they did do this, it might work out well. He could have an Aurilia-esque resurgence in GABP and fill in a lot of places on the diamond. He's not showing it right now, but I think his bat is a tick better than most of the other options the team has right now.

That said, I wouldn't want the Reds to give up too much. I'd be all over a Maloney for DeRosa deal, but not much more than that.

How much is he paid?

$4.15MM.

Homer Bailey
05-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Career:
Derosa .277/.346/.421/.767
JHJ .259/.329/.372/.701

I don't know if I'd say significantly, but I'd say better.

Jpup
05-20-2009, 04:08 PM
If the Reds could get him for Maloney or something similar, it would be a steal. DeRosa is a very good player who is having a terrible start. He could play 3rd until Edwin got back and then LF after that. He can also play anywhere else minus center if someone needs a day off or you want Nix in left.

It makes too much sense.

nate
05-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Career:
Derosa .277/.346/.421/.767
JHJ .259/.329/.372/.701

I don't know if I'd say significantly, but I'd say better.

$4.15MM + a prospect better?

flyer85
05-20-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd rather pass. He may be a marginal improvement but he won't solve the problem. A band-aid is not what is needed.

Homer Bailey
05-20-2009, 04:24 PM
$4.15MM + a prospect better?

A.) Well, that wasn't the original question.

B.) Since 1/4 of the season has passed, it'll only be around $3M.

C.) I've always viewed a guy like Maloney as potential trade bait. I don't ever see him as a starting pitcher for the Reds. It would be like giving up Lohse (when we did not need him) to get a guy like DeRosa who would be an asset to us at a time when he would be quite useful to us.

Kc61
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM

C.) I've always viewed a guy like Maloney as potential trade bait. I don't ever see him as a starting pitcher for the Reds. It would be like giving up Lohse (when we did not need him) to get a guy like DeRosa who would be an asset to us at a time when he would be quite useful to us.

The only problem is that - should the Reds have a starting pitcher injury - Maloney is the likely candidate to take over the slot. I guess it's possible RRamirez might, but Maloney has been better this year. I see Ramirez more in a long man role this year.

The team needs to have some decent pitching depth in case of injury. I wouldn't want to see Homer Bailey rushed up to the major leagues before he is ready.

So I wouldn't trade Maloney for DeRosa at this time.

Since DeRosa makes real money, I don't see the Reds as a likely trade partner. A larger market team with some money, like the Mets, or a team really going for it, like say Milwaukee, might be a better candidate.

lollipopcurve
05-20-2009, 04:36 PM
The only problem is that - should the Reds have a starting pitcher injury - Maloney is the likely candidate to take over the slot. I guess it's possible RRamirez might, but Maloney has been better this year. I see Ramirez more in a long man role this year.

The team needs to have some decent pitching depth in case of injury. I wouldn't want to see Homer Bailey rushed up to the major leagues before he is ready.

So I wouldn't trade Maloney for DeRosa at this time.

Disagree. The only AAA guy with a track record of turning in consistently solid starts in the bigs is Ramirez. He did it last year. Bailey has better stuff than Maloney and has thrown pretty well in the bigs at times. Maloney is entirely unproven at the big league level.

nate
05-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't see DeRosa as anything we don't already have. I certainly don't see a need to throw $3MM + a prospect at him. Save that treasure to get someone who will REALLY help the team.

lollipopcurve
05-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Save that treasure to get someone who will REALLY help the team.

You realize you're probably talking about many more millions and better prospects, right?

Kc61
05-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Disagree. The only AAA guy with a track record of turning in consistently solid starts in the bigs is Ramirez. He did it last year. Bailey has better stuff than Maloney and has thrown pretty well in the bigs at times. Maloney is entirely unproven at the big league level.

Nevertheless, Maloney has had the best year at AAA of the three. Bailey is a younger pitcher who needs a full year at AAA if possible. I'm not sure how the Reds view Ramirez, but we'll see how he does in the bullpen since he's now on the team.

With a pitching based team, you can't trade away your depth. I'd keep Maloney, except, of course, in a major trade where it is necessary to include him.

nate
05-20-2009, 05:04 PM
You realize you're probably talking about many more millions and better prospects, right?

Maybe. We haven't defined the piece so who knows what it will take.

What I do know is that I don't think DeRosa is worth the scenario put forth.

remdog
05-20-2009, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't even drop a dime for the Indians to accept a collect phone call.

Rem

TRF
05-20-2009, 05:44 PM

nate, you flip flopped DeRosa's OPS. it should be .724

and to answer your question, I'd say no, he isn't.

Mario-Rijo
05-20-2009, 05:45 PM
I can't imagine the Indians don't know that they aren't likely to be able to get rid of him in this economy unless they split the cost or take a couple of lesser lower minor leaguer types or both. If they are looking for major league ready arms they are not many suitors who could both have interest and arms to spare. I guess the question would be do we have the arms to spare?

Would a Maloney/Manuel get it done if they split the cost, or is that too much even?

How about this Maloney and Lincoln for Derosa? Helps us out a little with a sunk cost and perhaps Licoln might rebound (at least that is how you spin it). Then we bring up Fisher to replace Lincoln.

nate
05-20-2009, 06:02 PM
nate, you flip flopped DeRosa's OPS. it should be .724

and to answer your question, I'd say no, he isn't.

Ah, thansk!

:cool:

camisadelgolf
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
It would be a win-now move, and the Reds don't have win-now team imo. I'm 100% opposed to giving up young pitching to acquire him unless there's a good chance he could contribute in some way beyond 2009, be it through a contract extension or type A draft pick compensation should he sign with another team as a free agent.

Razor Shines
05-21-2009, 04:16 AM

Actually his total salary for the year is $5.5M, $4.15 is left.

schroomytunes
05-21-2009, 06:08 AM
Well DeRosa would be a good guy to have on the bench as well as platoon in LF and a little at 3rd. The problem is he is owed 4 million plus for the rest of the year. Now I would rather have a bigger bopper for LF to bat in the middle of the lineup instead. But for the sake of arguing I would offer this to see if the Indians bite:

Indians trade:
1)Mark DeRosa-he becomes our platoon LF/ 3b / 1b and a solid bat of the bench allowing us to drop McDonald.

2)Jeremy Sowers- still young 25 lefty may need a change of scenery.

Reds trade:
1)Matt Maloney-25 yr old lefty in AAA, would immediatly be put in their rotation

2)Ramon Ramirez- promoted to MLB last year and performed well in September, may be used in either pen or rotation.

This is what I would demand if we are assuming salary on our end, I would want at least Sowers or Mujica coming back to us as part of equaling out the salary difference.

Mario-Rijo
05-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Well DeRosa would be a good guy to have on the bench as well as platoon in LF and a little at 3rd. The problem is he is owed 4 million plus for the rest of the year. Now I would rather have a bigger bopper for LF to bat in the middle of the lineup instead. But for the sake of arguing I would offer this to see if the Indians bite:

Indians trade:
1)Mark DeRosa-he becomes our platoon LF/ 3b / 1b and a solid bat of the bench allowing us to drop McDonald.

2)Jeremy Sowers- still young 25 lefty may need a change of scenery.

Reds trade:
1)Matt Maloney-25 yr old lefty in AAA, would immediatly be put in their rotation

2)Ramon Ramirez- promoted to MLB last year and performed well in September, may be used in either pen or rotation.

This is what I would demand if we are assuming salary on our end, I would want at least Sowers or Mujica coming back to us as part of equaling out the salary difference.

Mujica plays for the Padres now I believe. IIRC Thom said he was released by the Tribe earlier in the season/end of s/t.

TheNext44
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
This is why DeRosa would be valuable and worth $4.1M and a prospect:

Career Vs. LHP

.303 .372 .481 .853

09 Vs. LHP

.317 .349 .610 .959

And he is a much better fielder than Gomes or Rosales.