PDA

View Full Version : .474 ops > .728 ops, eh?

LvJ
05-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Another day, another McDonald start. :confused:

Dickerson has a career .809 OPS vs. LHP. (1-5 with two walks in 09).

I just don't get it. Why bench a guy who is just as good if not better on the base paths and on defense, and who is far superior offensively? Dickerson has a .363 OBP this season. There is no logical reason why he is on the bench tonight. There is also no logical reason McDonald isn't sitting at home.

I know it's a dead horse, but come on! :(

This is so frustrating.

cincrazy
05-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Another day, another McDonald start. :confused:

Dickerson has a career .809 OPS vs. LHP. (1-5 with two walks in 09).

I just don't get it. Why bench a guy who is just as good if not better on the base paths and on defense, and who is far superior offensively? Dickerson has a .363 OBP this season. There is no logical reason why he is on the bench tonight. There is also no logical reason McDonald isn't sitting at home.

I know it's a dead horse, but come on! :(

This is so frustrating.

I agree. It's as if the Reds learned nothing from starting Corey Patterson and Paul Bako last year. Running automatic outs out there hurts the team. If this team ends up four or fives games back at the end of the year, you can point to the beginning of the season when they wasted valuable at bats on McDonald and Gonzo among others.

thatcoolguy_22
05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
IMO the Reds front office believe that McDonald can be a plus defender in LF and double as the RH platoon partner. He has only been getting spot ABs from time to time. If McDonald pulls a 0-18 or something to that affect after 4 games vs LHP pitching, there might be a move. I honestly think WJ believes that McDonald can be a plus defender and carry a bat to the plate vs LHP. We'll see. I am rooting for him to prove all of us wrong and, he does appear to have a quick bat through the zone for what its worth.

BearcatShane
05-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I think it was Ted Williams who stated that a player needs to have 1,000 major leagie at bats to judge them one way or another. If I'm Walt I sign McDonald to a 2 year 7 million dollar deal, tell him he is starting everyday until the end of the 2011 season, and we'll see what we have.

LvJ
05-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I think it was Ted Williams who stated that a player needs to have 1,000 major leagie at bats to judge them one way or another. If I'm Walt I sign McDonald to a 2 year 7 million dollar deal, tell him he is starting everyday until the end of the 2011 season, and we'll see what we have.

Minus whale.

fearofpopvol1
05-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I am no McDonald fan and I think he should be swapped with Gomes. But with that said, he's gotten zero fair chance with Redszone posters. He'd literally have to of hit like Babe Ruth from the start to have received accolades.

Again, I'm not a fan of him and don't think he's the best option, but I also don't think he's been given a fair chance by people here either.

westofyou
05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Out of the 88 NL OF's in the NL that have AB's DM is 67th in total # of AB's (40 ab's) and he's also 73rd in OPS (.40 points below sub .500 Brian Giles)

He'll be gone by 6-15 is my guess.

Cyclone792
05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Out of the 88 NL OF's in the NL that have AB's DM is 67th in total # of AB's (40 ab's) and he's also 73rd in OPS (.40 points below sub .500 Brian Giles)

My thinking (and hope) is that he's gone when it's time for Encarnacion to return from the DL, whenever that is ... unless someone else makes a trip to the DL between now and then. Rosales has shown an ability to be useful enough that I think the Reds will elect to keep him over McDonald.

BearcatShane
05-20-2009, 11:16 PM

I think he'll be gone after the Houston series. Johnny Gomes probably doesn't play good defense, but I'm willing to bet his offense would more than make up for it against lefties.

WVRedsFan
05-21-2009, 01:41 AM
My thinking (and hope) is that he's gone when it's time for Encarnacion to return from the DL, whenever that is ... unless someone else makes a trip to the DL between now and then. Rosales has shown an ability to be useful enough that I think the Reds will elect to keep him over McDonald.

I don't know, Jason. Players like McD flourish with the Reds. He could go 0-50 and Dusty would rave about his defense. Wonder if Dickerson and Nix have farted in the clubhouse or something?

Mario-Rijo
05-21-2009, 02:28 AM
I am no McDonald fan and I think he should be swapped with Gomes. But with that said, he's gotten zero fair chance with Redszone posters. He'd literally have to of hit like Babe Ruth from the start to have received accolades.

Again, I'm not a fan of him and don't think he's the best option, but I also don't think he's been given a fair chance by people here either.

Nah, when you walk up to the plate and it's readily apparent that you have no clue what it is you are doing up there I don't need to see anymore. Sure I gave him about a week or so even though I didn't want to just so I could see how he approached his PA without jitters. He is one of if not thee worse offensive player the Reds have had the past 20 years, and that includes Juan Castro. It's not about results and if that is how you determine how good a player is you are looking at the wrong thing IMO.

You show me you know what you are doing I'll give you a chance. Heck I'll give you a chance if you only half know what to do, but Darnell does not know or can't execute it in the slightest.

redsmetz
05-21-2009, 07:32 AM
I don't know, Jason. Players like McD flourish with the Reds. He could go 0-50 and Dusty would rave about his defense. Wonder if Dickerson and Nix have farted in the clubhouse or something?

That's interesting, because last year when Patterson finally showed he was stinking the joint up, Dusty and WJ sent him to Louisville. He returned almost immediately due solely to an injury that required it and Patterson rarely sniffed the top of the order after that. That struck me as more "necessity is the mother of invention" than anything.

Now I'm not standing up for McDonald and I have no idea why he started over Dickerson last night, although I would guess that Dusty was interested in giving him some playing time to see if he could snap out of his funk, it didn't. McDonald was fortunate an errant pitch got him on the foot because it was not looking like he was going to get there any other way.